Happiness is Relative

Watermelon

"May I ask you something?"

"That's what you've been doing ever since I got here, Doc. Asking me that now seems kinda pointless, don't you think?"

"Perhaps. But there are certain questions which you can be forthright with, while some require permission prior before asking the intended question."

"You are making no sense at all, Doc. A question is a question. You either get to the point, or don't ask at all."

"Consider this to be you humouring me then."

"Whatever you say, Doc. But does this question has anything to do with why I'm here?"

"I believe it does. Every question I choose to ask my patients will always be somewhat related to the reason why they are here seeking my help and expertise in the first place."

"I didn't come here looking for your help."

"You might not feel that way, no, but people who care very deeply for you believe you could use the help, and I believe that, deep down, you agree with them, and hence, here you are."

"..."

"..."

"This is stupid."

"As the many things we do in life. Now, Mr. Lee, as much as you wish to leave here immediately and return to your life, I still have a duty to perform. May we please continue with our talk?"

"Fine."

"Thank you. Now, your friends and family asked for us to meet today because they say you have been acting distant, aloof---"

"So? Doesn't seem like something needing the help of a counsellor for."

"---and that you've been acting rather strange as of late. Mr. Lee, they worry that you might be suicidal."

"Suicidal? You've gotta be joking. Suicidal? Why would I even think that? Just because I'm not talking to people doesn't mean I want to head home and slice up my wrists and let blood flow all over the bathroom floor."

"Of course not. I, myself don't believe your behaviour is worrying. At least, not yet. But the focus of our talk today isn't about you being suicidal. We are here simply to talk about you. Try to see this as a typical conversation between friends."

"Now we're friends?"

"Of course we are. Labelling each other with words such as 'patient' and 'doctor' seems highly unnecessary, don't you think? The word 'friends' is much more suitable."

"Right, and today's hot, hot topic is about me and my wrists slicing tendencies---"

"Just about you, Mr. Lee, just about you."

"..."

"..."

"I give up. Let's just get this over with so I can get outta here. Ask your question. You have my royal blessings."

"Very well then, I shall. Tell me then, Mr. Lee, are you... happy?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"How did it go?"

Lee stared blankly at his boss, holding a wet mop in one hand and a bucket filled with floor detergent in the other. "What are you talking about." he asked, despite clearly knowing what his boss meant.

The both of them were in his boss's café, The Chopped Liver. The sun had already set hours ago and there was just fifteen minutes more to go before midnight. 

Lee was just about finishing up with the cleaning. He glanced outside from behind the café's windows; there were ominous dark clouds floating about in the night sky, visible but still distant. A storm was approaching.

"You know what I'm talking about, Lee." his boss, Chen Lin, frowned at him. "The counselling session with Ms. Shepard."

Chen Lin was a short, round man with a long, bushy moustache. He was a man nearing the age of forty, but his balding grey hair and small wrinkly eyes did little to suggest that fact. Lee thought he was almost seventy.

"You mean the supposed brilliant counsellor my family wouldn't stop recommending?" Lee said, not even bothering to hide the sarcastic tone in his voice. "Oh, it went great, boss. Really enjoyed talking to her. Can't wait to go back for some more sessions."

"Right, of course you did." scoffed his boss, rolling his eyes at him. "I can tell you're really eager to see her again." 

Chen Lin took off a black apron with coffee cup patterns from his neck and folded it neatly. "You know they're only doing it 'cause they're worried for you, right?" he added, his tone turning sombre.

Lee sighed, setting the bucket down and dunking his mop into it. "Seems excessive and unnecessary to me." he said after a while, turning around, facing away from Chen Lin. "I'm fine, you know."

He felt his boss place a hand on his shoulder. "Are you really though, Lee?" The hand's grip tighten a bit on Lee's shoulder. "Are you really? I mean... after what had happened---"

Lee said nothing. He gently pulled himself away from Chen Lin and mopped the floor as silently as he could. There was a sound of thunder rumbling coming from outside the Café.

"I'm fine, boss."

Chen Lin gave him a concerned glance. "Listen, Lee. Your parents and I, we go a long way back, and I've been seeing you ever since you were just a little boy. You're like a son to me, you know? A good one."

"So you keep telling me."

"What I'm trying to tell you, Lee, is that I'm here for you if you need anything, all right? Anything at all."

"Can I get a raise then?"

Chen Lin let out a weak chuckle. "Very funny, Lee."

Lee watched as Chen Lin headed for the rear exit, putting on a thick, worn brown jacket. "Well, I'm off. Once you're done with the cleaning don't forget to eat that curry my wife made for you. She said there was extra carrots added into it."

"Mrs. Lin is the best."

"That she is, son."

"Hey, boss?"

"Hmm?" Chen Lin's hand was already on the door.

"Thanks."

"Any time, son." Chen Lin opened the door, said, "Looks like a storm's coming. Don't take too long with the cleaning, Lee." before stepping outside and shutting the door behind him, leaving Lee alone in the quiet, empty café.

Another sighed escaped Lee's lips. He heard Chen Lin's car engine rumbled to life, and slowly faded away as it left the premises with its driver. Another day of work was finally over. All that was left to be done was just a little more mopping.

The sounds of thunder got closer still, and the winds were howling like wolves under the moonlight.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Chopped Liver was a quaint little café situated not too far away from the airport, just around twenty minutes or less by car. Making it a nice place --- or pit stop --- for locals and tourists alike to visit, to be fed and watered, to sight-see, or to simply relax and unwind before or after heading to the airport.

Though the café's name may be called The Chopped Liver, they did not, on the contrary, serve chopped liver. It was a question customers enjoyed asking, much to Lee's annoyance.

Chen Lin found the name to be rather fetching, however. It was confusing as it was intriguing, and when asked, most customer's would say it was the name of the café that caught their eye first. It was not everyday one would find a café calling itself after hashed internal organs and not having it on the menu.

The café was relatively popular, and can be quite busy during the holiday seasons. But when the holidays were over and nobody feels like travelling, that was when business can get a little boring and painfully dull. Even the regulars that frequented the café did little to ease the monotonous routine that needed to be done daily.

But the neighbourhood was decent enough; most of the essentials required to attract people to an area were mostly met; there were a few hotels here and several houses there, some bars and some pubs, a moderate amount of cafés and restaurants, parks and public facilities, a mediocre shopping mall and a huge marketplace. Just enough to keep visitors and locals alike interested.

Lee, a young man at the age of twenty-seven, helps out at The Chopped Liver as anything Chen Lin wanted him to be. He could be the barista, chef, waiter, cashier, cleaner, or trash disposer. All depending on the time of the day, week or month.

As for tonight, he was the cleaner.

After dumping away the dirty, soapy water and keeping the mop, Lee washed and dried his hands before heading to the fridge in the kitchen. His supper was in there. He was tired and he was starving. He hungrily searched for the plastic container that held his meal.

It was not as if today's business was particularly busy or anything. The holiday season was coming to an end, and the only customers The Chopped Liver was getting nowadays were the regulars and the occasional tourist or two. But there still can be plenty of things to do in the café, even on not so particularly busy days.

Lee took down a small pot and placed it on the stove, emptying the contents from the plastic container into it. Mrs. Lin curry was one of his favourite foods, especially when there are extra carrots in it. It was home-cooked, filled with warmth and care, and has that motherly sort of love in it.

His mother's cooking, however, was terrible. A sudden chill ran down his spine as he gently stirred the contents of the pot with a wooden spoon. It was little wonder why he did most of the cooking back when he was younger and still living with his parents.

There was also some leftover rice left in the rice cooker. It would certainly go well with the curry. A small smiled crept its way across Lee's face as he thought of the fine meal he'll be having in a few minutes. He smacked his lips joyfully.

A flash of lightning and a sudden roar of thunder made Lee jump. The wooden spoon in his hand fell to the floor with a soft thud.

The sounds of heavy raindrops falling on the roof signalled the arrival of the storm. Though it was common to have stormy weather at this time of the year, tonight's storm seemed rather monstrous; the café's windows shook and rattled as strong winds pounded against them; large bolts of lightning flashed by every now and then followed by deafening crashes of thunder.

Lee wondered if there will be any delays or changes for the late night flights at the airport. There could be a chance for potential customers, and tonight's weather clearly showed that there won't be any sort of flying going any time soon. He contemplated to whether or not have the coffee machine turned back on. Just in case.

The Chopped Liver's operating hours weren't like the other cafés. Theirs opened until late at night, usually close to midnight or beyond, for there will always be an occasional customer or two. Most of them were usually passengers from a recent flight, and if there were any to come at this hour, it would be because of flight delays, or late arrivals. Or terrible weather.

But even if they were closed, Chen Lin always reminded him to never turn away a customer, so as long as they're paying, of course. He told Lee to never forget the motto: "To help those in need, as long as we are able to. Especially if there's money involved."

So it held little surprise for Lee if he needed to work longer than intended. He didn't mind, of course, for he lives just above the café. His room was just upstairs. 

The Chopped Liver was where he worked and lived. It was his house. His home.

His room above the café was just perfect for one person to live in. Chen Lin stayed further away with his wife and kids, but still close enough should there be anything. But since Lee was living at the café, Chen Lin never bothered with installing any sort of security measures; Lee was the security measure.

Lee grunted as he picked up the wooden spoon from the floor. Another roar of thunder echoed throughout the café. Mumbling to himself, Lee lowered down the heat of the stove to let the curry simmer slowly.

His eyes narrowed as a bolt of lightning flashed outside. He didn't see the point of turning the coffee machine back on; no one was going to be able to make it down here with such a storm raging outside anyway.

Pulling out his mobile phone, Lee swiped through his downloaded applications until he found the one he was looking for: Flight Trackerz. It was the program he'd always use to get the latest updates on flights coming in and out the airport.

Not to mention it would also tell him if any flights were cancelled or delayed. That way he could determine whether or not the café will be getting any customers within the next hour or so. A tried-and-true technique that is surprisingly helpful for a late night café business near an airport.

The storm outside was getting worst. The wooden glass door that serves as the entrance was shaking with such might from every gust of wind that blew on it it looked about ready to fly out off its hinges.

Lee frowned as he stared at his phone. As he suspected, several flights were delayed. One flight was even cancelled. No plane was going to leave the airport. Not until the storm's let up.

He glanced outside. He could see the café's windows rattling in place from every gust of wind. The rain was pouring down even heavier than before. The front street was no longer visible. The few street lights dotting the café disappeared from view. Even the shops opposite the street seemed to have vanished under the constant fall of raindrops.

All Lee could see was the interminable storm.

He gave himself a little shrug. At least he could be certain now that there won't be any customers coming in. He doubted that if even the planes couldn't go anywhere, neither could cars. It would be reckless to drive about in the storm at this hour. It was dark, wet and extremely dangerous.

Lee couldn't help it. He smiled a little. No customers means no disturbance. No disturbance means he can enjoy his supper in relative peace. The storm was just a minor distraction. Nothing serious.

Humming to himself, he returned to his curry simmering away in the pot, taking in a good long whiff as he let the aroma enter his nostrils. His stomach growled at the scent. It was about time to feast.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEEEEEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEEEEEEEP!

The abrupt sound of a car urgently honking its horn startled him. What surprised Lee even more was how he could hear the horn at all. The rumbling thunder and heavy rainfall was already making it difficult to hear anything else.

Lee shielded his eyes as the café was suddenly flooded with a bright yellow light. He could faintly make out the outline of a pair of headlights shining its beam on him. But before he could even react, the lights suddenly dimmed. He barely had time to lower his hands when came several loud knocks on the front door.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"It's open!" shouted Lee, cautiously approaching the front door. He could see a dark, blurry outline standing behind the door. He softly cursed at Chen Lin for getting frosted glass for their door.

He was still holding onto the wooden spoon; he raised it in front of him like a rapier, tightening his grip, ready to . One could never be too careful. He took a stance, and swallowed down the creeping anxiety.

The door flew open, hitting the shopkeeper's bell hanging just above it. The gentle tinkle could barely be heard over the storm, however. 

Lee lowered the wooden spoon. Blinking.

Two people quickly made their way in. The taller among the two shut the door behind them, letting out a huge sigh of relief, pulling a beige suitcase. Lee recognised the figure.

"Charlie?"

"Crazy weather, ain't it, Lee?" Charlie said with a wink. His clothes --- a brown jacket worn over a black shirt --- was completely drenched. He shivered and bounced about lightly in place, trying to warm himself up. "Could do with a fire, aye?"

"What are you doing here at this hour?"

"Dropping off this 'ere lass right 'ere." said Charlie, taking off the flat cap from his head and twisting it, splashing water all over the floor. "Eh... sorry 'bout that." he added quickly, gesturing at the mess.

"Don't worry about it. What do you mean dropping off?" asked Lee, glancing over at the person standing next to Charlie, who was much shorter and smaller than him. "What's going on?"

"Storm's going on. That's what. Nobody's going nowhere with that storm raging about." Charlie pointed at the figure standing next to him with his thumb. "The lass was begging for me to send 'er back into town. Me told 'er no, told her that ol' Charlie would be mad to try and drive in this weather. But this lass 'ere was all stubborn like a---"

Whatever the lass was stubborn like, Lee never found out. His eyes were glued on to the woman.

The woman, wearing a black hooded jacket, light-blue jeans, and white slip-on shoes, was soaked from head to toe. She had with her two canvas bags --- one blue and the other green --- which laid on the floor, forgotten and wet, the contents undoubtedly soaked as well.

She was shivering rather violently because of the storm. She rubbed both of her palms together, and placed them on her cheeks while looking around her, taking in the surroundings, when her eyes suddenly met Lee's.

They stared at each other for a second, and a single, sudden thought popped into Lee's mind: the person staring back at him was astoundingly and incredibly beautiful. Even if she was soaked to the bone.

"---an' that's how ye make the perfect boxty. Anyway! I was startin' to feel bad for the lass so, seeing how kind-hearted me is an' all, I packed us both back into town as fast as me cab could take us. Bonkers, me tells ye! Stark, raving bonkers!"

"Huh?" said Lee stupidly, quickly taking his eyes off the woman. "What's that?"

"Well, anyway, me best be heading off. Ye take good care of the lass now you 'ear? An' let ol' Chen Lin know me said hello, would ye? That's a good lad. Ye take care now, lass! Ye too, Lee!"

And with a tip from his still dripping flat cap, Charlie left just as soon as he arrived. Leaving both the woman and Lee all alone.

The woman gave a little --- while trembling uncontrollably --- bow to Charlie as he left. She then turned around and gave Lee a meaningful look, occasionally glancing back and forth at herself and him.

They both said nothing for a while.

Then, she sniffed, and her eyes began to water.

She sniffed again. More intensely than before.

And suddenly, she sneezed. Loudly.

Lee got back to his senses. "R-right, let's get you into something warmer, shall we?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The lights inside the café flickered as the storm continued to rage outside. Lee pushed the woman's suitcase and the rest of her belongings to a corner of the café near one of the tables. 

He glanced at the small puddle that has formed on the floor where his two sudden visitors had just stood minutes ago.

He groaned. "Here we go again." he said, grabbing the mop.

The woman was upstairs, taking a well-deserved hot shower. Lee still could not believe the events that had just transpired. First, he went for a counselling session with a well-known psychiatrist, then came the worst storm he has ever seen, and just minutes ago, a foreign woman was in the café, soaked to the teeth and currently taking a hot shower in the upstairs bathroom.

"This day just keeps getting better and better." Lee said to himself. "I wonder if she drinks coffee."

The woman that Charlie had dropped off at his doorstep was obviously a foreigner.

For one thing, she spoke very little of the English language. When he tried to tell her that there was a shower she could use, the woman kept shaking her head and stepped further and further away from him. As if worried Lee might be cursed with a contagious, incurable disease.

Only by using a mix of gestures and signals with his hands did she finally get the point. She grabbed some clothes from her luggage and quickly followed Lee to the bathroom upstairs, giving him a little bow of gratitude before she went in.

Lee was also convinced that the woman was a Korean. There was a wet and slightly old airline baggage tag that was stuck to one side of the suitcase, with the words 'KOREAN AIR' written on it.

Not to mention there was a watermelon luggage tag strapped onto the suitcase's handle with the Korean alphabets written all over the information slip. He wasn't sure if it was the Korean alphabet, however. Just pure speculation.

"E-e-excuse me."

Lee turned around. It was the woman, all dry from the storm and all freshened up. She carefully descended the stairs, and slowly approached Lee.

"Ah, you're done. Was the shower okay for you?" Lee said this while making hand gestures mimicking a shower head spouting water out. "Shower okay?"

She nodded her head.

"Good. Well, have a seat. I'll get you something hot to drink."

The woman sat at the table closest to the coffee machine. She had exchanged her black jacket for a white t-shirt and was wearing a new pair of jeans. She quietly stared at Lee with interest as he stepped behind the counter.

"Do you drink coffee?" he asked her, looking from behind the coffee machine, quietly hoping that would she at least know what coffee means in English. "You know, a nice hot cup of coffee?" 

She quickly shook her head, raising both her hands, almost as if in protest.

"Ah, all right, then. Not a coffee drinker. How about some hot chocolate?"

She nodded. It seemed that as long as he didn't mention the word coffee, she would just about drink anything that was offered.

"One hot chocolate coming right up." said Lee, taking down a jar from a cupboard behind him. "What's your name anyway? My name's Lee."

The woman gave him a blank look. Perhaps he spoke a little too fast?

"Your name." he said again, much slower than before. "What. Is. Your. Name?"

The woman's eyes widened for a second in realisation and he heard her speak, saw her lips move, but he did not catch a single word she had just said.

"Sorry? You mind repeating that?"

She spoke again. This time, Lee heard what she said perfectly. Except that he couldn't understand a single word of it.

"Sorry. One more time?"

The woman frowned, and paused for a while, letting her fingers gently brush her lips, thinking. 

Lee saw her face brighten up, for she suddenly snapped her fingers and said:

"Irene."