paper hearts

song notes and dancing breaks

Jiwoo didn't know why, but she did it anyway. Or maybe she did, but didn't feel like she should say it out loud because it would make it too real for herself to handle. Actually, it didn't really matter anymore because in the end of her english class, she would follow the same hall, walk to the same room and stand by the same door.

It's not that she was a stalker. She liked to call herself an admirer. I mean, it was art. Appreciating art doesn't make you a stalker. It makes you happy. And Jiwoo could only feel happiness, standing there, trying not to be noticed while a girl with long hair and beautiful smile moved her body along the room to the beat of songs that Jiwoo didn't even know before but now were always in the top of her favorite playlists.

Jiwoo knew it was weird. She just couldn't help herself anymore. It not like she was doing much anyway. She just liked watching. Like some of her friends liked to sit on the benchs at the soccer field during break time and watch boys run around a ball. She just watched, never trying to call the girl's attention, never asking around about who she is or which grade she is in or where she is from.

Jiwoo could convice herself that she just liked the dancing, when it started. Now, she wasn't so sure anymore. That girl was a really great dancer but now she was also really beautiful and her eyes seemed really mysterious and her smile could make Jiwoo's heart run 5 miles a minute and she kinda liked the feeling.

So this was how Jiwoo spend half of her lunch break from the start of the school year until this day. The other half she spent at the music room, practicing the piano and singing random songs that she liked. She was glad that there was a room like that in her school and even more glad that anyone seemed to actually enjoy staying there during the break, giving her all the freedom she wanted to sing as loud as she thought that was needed.

"You wanna come and join us?" Jiwoo heard her best friend Jungeun speak and soon realized they were the only ones left in the table after lunch.

"Actually, I think I'll come back to class. I gotta finish a paper." She lied. Casually.

Jungeun nooded and didn't bother like she used to do some time ago. She knew Jiwoo was lying but she didn't really felt eager to find out what Jiwoo did every single day after lunch anymore.

After getting her notebook in her locker, Jiwoo walked down the hall to the familiar room and finally reached the door, but she felt really dissapointed to see it was empty.

Jiwoo felt kind empty too.

She sighed and kept walking, deciding to go sooner to the music room and maybe finally learn how to play that 10cm's song in the piano. She was intrigued through. What happened to Dancing Girl? What if she was sick? What if she feel while dancing? What if she broke her leg? What if she noticed she was being stalked by a stupid first year girl and decided to practice somewhere else? No, no, no, no. That couldn't be, right? She was careful... or wasn't she? Jiwoo could feel her head run just like her heart did when Dancing Girl throws her hair back and smiles during a move.

The answer came soon enough, when Jiwoo opened the music room door and Dancing Girl was like two meters away from her, seated in front of the piano, fingers in the keys, looking a bit lost, with a music sheet in front of her and eyes fixated on it.

Dancing Girl looked at Jiwoo when she heard the door and Jiwoo frozed at the eye contact. Dancing girl looked rather serious right now and Jiwoo has never seen her like that. Or this close. She looked perfect.

Jiwoo was so nervous but she decided it would be weird to leave, so she bowed, like any first year would do to a senior and walked with her head down to the end of the room, sitting on the floor and opening her notebook to get her own music sheets to study the notes.

Jiwoo looked at the papers and almost screamed because, damn, they weren't half as interesting as her.

"Hey, you know how to play the piano, right?" Jiwoo almost choked on the air when she lift her head up to the voice. Dancing Girl was talking to her.

"I do." It was all she could say.

"Could you help me? I took classes when I was younger, but never really practice it and now my sister wants me to play at her wedding... I said I would but now I'm really stuck here." Dancing Girl said making lots of different facial expressions during it. Jiwoo wish she could capture them all and look at them everytime.

"Of course, sunbae." Jiwoo didn't know if she was really being polite or was just so nervous. When she got up and walked to the piano, she couldn't tell if the world was shaking or if her legs were suddenly really weak.

"You can call me unnie. Come, you can sit here with me."

When she sat there with Dancing Girl, Jiwoo noticed what was on Dancing Girl's music sheets. She could see all the familiar notes there. The ones she already knew by heart so music sheets weren't really needed. Her fingers had a own life when she thought of that song. Paper Hearts have always been her favorite song out of them all.

"I heard this song for the first time a while ago and when my sister asked to choose one for her, I really wanted it to be this one" Dancing Girl started talking again and Jiwoo could only blink at her in amazement. God, she probably looked like an idiot. "You think you can help me?"

Jiwoo felt the words stick to her throwt. Jiwoo never remembered being this shy before, so she took a deep breath before opening .

"I can, I actually know this song really well." She smiled up to Dancing Girl, finally feeling her blood running again in her veins. That was totally normal, right?

Dancing Girl smiled and soon there was two pairs of hands playing with the piano keys, one following the other, brushing fingers and shoulders and knees. Jiwoo could only smile by now.

In the mean time, Jiwoo learned that Dancing Girl's name was Ha Sooyoung and that she was two years older than Jiwoo so this was her final year in school. Jiwoo learned that Sooyoung was usually busy outside school because she worked as a clothing model to raise some money to college and this was why she had to practice in the music room. Jiwoo also learned that Sooyoung really liked Lyn's songs and that her favorite color was red and that she wanted to be a professional dancer.

Jiwoo didn't noticed how the time had passed until the bell rings, warning them that they should head to class. Jiwoo couldn't avoid the way the shine in her eyes dissapeared.

"Would you come back tomorrow? So we can keep practicing together?" Jiwoo could only smile and accept the request. "Thank you so much! I feel like I will do good only because of you."

"Don't say it like that. You're actually pretty good, Sooyoung-unnie." Jiwoo smiled up to her again, while Dancing Girl gathered her stuff to go back to her class. Jiwoo's heart kept skiping beats today, but it skipt a whole song when Dancing Girl returned her the most beautiful smile in the whole world.

When Dancing Girl was near the door, Jiwoo almost slapped herself when the words left .

"And you're an amazing dancer too, unnie!" And a big smiled filled Dancing Girl's face, making Jiwoo smile too.

"And you're an amazing singer, Jiwoo-ah." Dancing Girl replied just before leaving the room, her face all bright because of that beautiful smile.

Jiwoo couldn't be more confused. She didn't remember singing today.