Inside Hyunjin's Cafe and Bakery

Cut off my horns


Sooyoung was awakened from her thoughts when something has hit her head. She caressed her scalp and released a groan a little late, as she looked down to see what has fallen onto her head from above. She gets dazed as she saw a shampoo bottle was on the floor, while small streams of water was also falling on top of her body, and flowing down to the drain. She saw her feet standing on the wet black tiles, and finally remembers what was she doing. She was taking a shower, since she has finally eaten breakfast, and is currently getting ready to leave for work. But what caught her to leave everything aside was a woman. 

Sooyoung has gained a sufficient amount of money to call herself “rich”. Being in the modelling business, she racked up on cash due to her natural talent in modelling, and her luxurious body to help her with it. She spent money to go out in clubs, and bait people back to her expensive apartment-complex in a high-rise building. She had with men, but especially women. Yes, Sooyoung slept with women, and she liked it even more than she can imagine. She knew she wouldn’t regret her decision of ual orientation when she kissed a girl back in High School named Heejin. She slept with all sort of women, from the palest and elegant, to the dark toned and fierce some in bed. But this specific woman that had Sooyoung out of her thoughts during a cold shower was troubling her for a while now. Infatuation could last for a while, Sooyoung knows that well but seeing the same person by coincidence 5 times? Thats pretty freaky. And whats even worse is, she’s not even infatuated with this person! Yeah, this rather short girl is pretty, and her presence is bubbly and cheerful. Almost as if Sooyoung walked near her, she would smell of honey and apricots. Just from that thought, Sooyoung wants to see her again and make sure if  she does smell of the mentioned above. But going back to topic, she’s not infatuated!... right?

Anyways, she soaps her body way down to her feet, and rinse everything off. She got out of the shower, and wrapped a towel around her body and her hair. When she got out the bathroom, Sooyoung walked to her fancy living room, where her furniture is made of soft white cotton fabric, a huge HD-Flat screen TV hanging on a wall, and a see-through glass table with some essentials, especially a box of tissues (for the mornings, teehee) and her smartphone. She took her phone and looked over her notifications. There, she saw that manager texted Sooyoung about 5 times now, telling her to come in different time gaps. About 30 minutes of an interval, she texted Sooyoung from “Come early so you can get everything done for the shoot” to “Maam, the photographers are getting impatient for the time you’re taking, please you have to come now!” but Sooyoung couldn’t care less. Even if the photographers complain, she doesn’t follow her manager’s instructions because they wouldn’t start without her. Though, there was this one time that the photographer had enough and left the studio. Everyone gave Sooyoung glares but she doesn’t give a . She considers this “the photographer’s fault and that it’s his loss for not working with her”. “Sooyoung doesn’t take from anyone”, or so she heard from people who knew her. Sooyoung kept like this from such a young age, where she already learned that life out there is never fair, and it’ll beat you down senselessly. Even if her manager and producers complain, she would come late. She thinks she’s THAT important. 

Sooyoung places her phone down, and heads to her bedroom. As she picks her poison for the day, she shifts her eyes to an underwear near the closet on the floor. She picks it up, and smiles as she remembers vividly how much fun she had last night with some shy girl, who turns out to be a freak in bed. They were dizzy from all the drinks they had, but Sooyoung thinks deeply and closes her eyes to remember the woman’s name while grabbing onto the closet doors. Was it Haseul? But oh well, “Haseul” is past and going to work is currently present, so she still has to go. She took out a white tank top and denim jacket, paired with light denim pants and black-heeled boots. She took her black cap and wore her face mask. Then, she picked up her bag with everything she needs in it, and went out to lock her apartment with her keycard and leave the building. Even on her way, some guy who thinks he’s so good gives Sooyoung a wink, but Sooyoung looks away and raises her hand, meaning to tell that “Im not interested”. The man, feeling embarassed, could only scratch his head and look away as Sooyoung moves on. She went outside the building, and the driver was there with a sour face, waiting for her. She walked to him with a smile on her face , and took out a hundred dollar bill from her bag and inserted into the driver’s coat pocket. The driver could only roll his eyes in disbelief, and opens the door for Sooyoung to enter. He enters the car and drives to the photoshoot location. The ride was unbearable, as Sooyoung was loud and laughing while she was on the phone with her rapper friend, Chaewon. On their way to the modelling company, Sooyoung felt a vibration while talking to Chaewon, so she ended the call and checked her notifications. Apparently, she received a text. And this text was a type of text that she just loves to see, everytime.

“Maam, model sessions have been cancelled last minute due to technical issues. Sorry for the inconvenience, and have a nice day ahead :)”. Sooyoung didn’t even finish reading it, for when she saw the word “cancelled”, she immediately tucked in her phone inside her bag and told the driver that there’s a change of plans. The driver groaned, as he already know where they’re heading. Passing through a couple of blocks, they stop in front of a cafe in the end of the city. Sooyoung likes this place, because no one is around here that much. unlike any other places, where people come close to her and take pictures and autograpghs. Just when Sooyoung wanted some alone time, people bothered her with praises and nonsense they do, she thought. She got out, and told her driver that “Ill be staying for a while, so leave. Ill call you when Im done”. The driver only nods in response, and hurriedly closes the window to drive. Sooyoung enters the place, where a couple of people looked behind them and recognized her. But as she expected, they looked back to their orders and went on with their business. Sooyoung sighs in relief, and thinks to herself, “Just how I like it”.

The first time she saw her was merely an encounter. As Sooyoung was walking by a busy sidewalk, she saw her beauty within the crowd inside a bakery. She was dazed, just like how love at first sight felt, Sooyoung thought. But she didn’t mind this at first, and kept walking as other things got her distracted. The second time was during a fashion show. Sooyoung saw her backstage, seemingly excited to see the woman’s friend, who turns out to be Sooyoung’s chinese co-worker Gahei, to be on the run way. Sooyoung felt it again, the feeling of her stomach going into knots when she saw her. But the show music started so she shifted her look to the entrance and focused on the show, not looking back at her. Then again, the woman doesn’t always seem to see Sooyoung back. The third time could’ve been a disaster, because this time Sooyoung almost freaked out when she saw her yet AGAIN while she passed a pedestrian lane. And this time too, the woman saw Sooyoung too and widened her eyes. But she looked away, and kept walking to the other side. Sooyoung, in the other hand, stopped walking and looked back, trying to find the girl she had been seeing this week. She had been so immersed in her thoughts that she didn’t notice the light was green, and a car honked at her to move aside. Sooyoung was startled and felt embarrassed, so she bowed in front of the car as an apology, and left the lane. Now the fourth time, it was just unbearable. The car broke down that day, so Sooyoung was forced to take the subway to work. As she sits through what she considers a horrible day to work, hiding in plain sight within the fans who took pictures and shared gossips about the said model, there she was! They both exchanged looks with wide eyes and jaws dropped. Sooyoung was finally about to stand up as she grabbed the pole beside the train seat and speak to this stalker, but the passengers inside the train were taping her. One wrong move, and her career could go down In flames along with controversies and rumors. She tried her best to avert her eyes from the woman and forget her presence within the crowd, but she was clouded with confusion and anger because she just cant understand what this woman wants with Sooyoung to be following her all week. 


She thought of making this an issue to her company to speak up against anyone who dares stalk the celebrity model. The company gave a statement, and nothing more, which Sooyoung didn’t like because she wanted the modelling company to make an action. But then again, after a week, Sooyoung didn’t see the woman. Yet why was Sooyoung still thinking of her? Was Sooyoung traumatized? Or worse, does she miss this person and is longing for her presence? There are times that Sooyoung misses seeing that pretty and bubbly look on the woman’s face unconciously. She gets lost in her thoughts just like this morning, and a couple times too in the past. Sooyoung was unsure of her feelings, and she’s starting to get sick of it. She wanted to end her issue once and for all, by looking for that woman and settle things aside. Funny how when you don’t need something, everything around you seems to hint you to have it. But now that you need it, life laughs freely and makes it hard for you. Just like how Sooyoung wants to talk to the woman, but now she was nowhere and Sooyoung had no idea where to look first. But this will be a problem to solve on a later date, and this will be Sooyoung’s alone time inside the café. 


She went in line, and ordered by saying “The usual”. The barista already knew what she meant, and started making her strawberry frappe with whip cream and cherry on top. It only took the barista a while to make Sooyoung’s order since she comes here every now and then, so the barista readies himself for the famous model to come again. Sooyoung got her cup, and sat beside the window. It was cloudy today, but not expecting rain. Sooyoung smiled while looking out the window, appreciating the nice weather today, hoping it would last a little longer. Sooyoung took a sip of the sweet strawberry frappe, and closed her eyes in pleasure. She looks away from the window while was still on the straw. She opened her eyes, and almost choked on her frappe. There she was. Just sitting right in front of her, on the other table. She muttered to herself, “What the ”.

The other girl seems to have been shocked too, and maintains eye contact for a couple of seconds, assessing her thoughts first before she makes an action. She was about to stand up and leave Sooyoung alone, but she shifts her gaze to Sooyoung, with worry in her eyes, and looks at her feet to sighs deeply. She fixes her chair into the table, and walks to the model in front of her, as if she knew her personally. While all this was happening, Sooyoung followed the other girl with her eyes and not saying anything, as she is currently freaking out inside. The woman pulls out a chair from the other side of the table in front of Sooyoung and tried her best to sit comfortably before speaking. “Im Jiwoo, Kim Jiwoo”, the woman said as an introduction to address the elephant in the room.


 Jiwoo almost stuttered when she spoke, and you can visibly see the nervousness she’s feeling, and the sweat dripping from both her temple. “No need to tell your name, I know you well enough”, Jiwoo raised a women’s magazine she held, with Sooyoung as the front cover. Sooyoung felt a little embarassed, so she tilted her head down, and had gotten her ears red due to the rise of temperature in her body. “Look, Ill cut to the chase”, Jiwoo raises and points her right hand to Sooyoung and continues, “seeing you once is fine, and could be a dream to someone. Seeing you twice or thrice is pretty freaky, as is fate is bringing us together. But seeing you now, I had enough. I want to find the answers to all my questions, because you’ve been in my mind for a while now. Heck, I even zoned out just remembering you”, Jiwoo chuckles of the thought bus Sooyooung changes from listening seriously to perplexed.

 Did she just say that she was zoning out, because of Sooyoung?

Anyways, It was Sooyoung’s turn to speak. But the thing is, she doesn’t know what to say. And everything she could blabber out of will have swear words, like “What the is happening, why the are you here, who the are you?!...” and many more, even in different forms. She assessed her thoughts, and gave a stern look , trying to be intimidating. Jiwoo raised a brow, meaning she has taken notice of the action but she doesn’t look intimidated. Sooyoung gives up, and replies back. “I have so many questions”. Yep, that’s the best she can come up with, when she had such a long time doing nothing useful. “So do I. I want to leave and forget everything, but I know it’ll all just come back, so lets settle things once and for all, is that cool?” Sooyoung didn’t expect the sudden sass in Jiwoo’s words. She expected the stranger in front of her to be shy, and delicate. But it seems that this woman has more charisma than she thought. Sooyoung tried to do the talking first, and Jiwoo the answering. “Very well. First, and I want the truth only. Did you plan any encounters that  we had?”, “Definitely not. Im as shocked as you are. I mean like, Im speaking to one of the most famous models in Korea! I understand it that could seem like Im stalking you, but everything was a coincidence, like fate was bringing us together or something”. Sooyoung snickered due to two reasons. The first one was that Jiwoo looked adorable complaining about her issues. Second being that Sooyoung doesn’t believe in all that fate and destiny . She doesn’t even believe in any religion. “I don’t believe in fate and what not. I never did, and never will”, Sooyoung set aside the bad words for now, to make up a nice impression to the pretty girl she’s talking to. “Maybe I can change your mind”, There was comfort in her voice, that Sooyoung’s heart softened and even thought of giving this person all her trust that’s left in the world. “Im a missionary of the church here in this city. If you let me guide you, God can help us find the answer to our questions”.

A missionary. Oh boy, She wont be getting along with Sooyoung at this rate.

“Uhmm…” Sooyoung says, as she tries to keep calm and stop herself denouncing the missionary girl. “Not a fan of your group really. Christian’s right? Sorry, I think were done here”. “Im very sorry to hear that. In my opinion, I think you’re troubled. We can help you, Sooyoung”. Sooyoung thought she was just unbelievable. This has to be a scam, to keep inviting her. “You don’t know me, so Ill leave you be”. Sooyoung replied harshly, as she is not thinking quite clear now. She was about to bust out of this place, until Jiwoo spoke again, so Sooyoung gave her a stern look. “I don’t need to. The one above knows. Let us know what troubles us both, and be back to each other’s business after this”. “Look you seem like a really nice girl, and you’re really pretty I’ll give you that. But I just don’t care, alright? So stay away from me from now on, we never had this conversation”. Sooyoung was holding her things and took a sip of the frappe, but Jiwoo just cant stop pestering Sooyoung and declared one last thing, “Maybe fate brought us here so I can help you with your pain” Jiwoo said, as she now has worry on her face. 


Sooyoung was about to reply with “What pain?!” in an angry manner, but she knew well the pain Jiwoo was talking about. The past still dwells on her, and she just cant get rid of it. No one really had the heart to help her. Thinking that she had enough for the day, she took her bag sitting on another chair, and stood up to leave creating a shriek as the chair she stood up from moves back. The few people inside looked in curiosity, but went back to their own little worlds. Sooyoung was ready to leave Jiwoo, and go home before she makes a mess. She didn’t even finish the frappe. She always finishes the frappe. “Wait,” Sooyoung felt a soft hand grab her arm, so she looked down to where Jiwoo has taken hold of her. She felt her heart flutter seeing the girl pouting in disappointment, but still the comfort in her voice was present. “Speak to me. Tell me what troubles you. Maybe I can help, and you can help me settle everything in return”. Sooyoung can’t believe herself. She just might give in. Who could say no to those beautiful eyes. She argues with herself internally, but she is currently clouded with her thoughts of Jiwoo. She really is lovely, Sooyoung thought.


 Unconciously, Sooyoung steps back and sits down quietly. Jiwoo gives a warm smile, which Sooyoung just loved about her. The moments of happiness didn’t last, as Sooyoung now tries to recall her past, and lay it out to this stranger whom she met just today. She’s risking her career on telling Jiwoo all this information, but she felt like Jiwoo seems one to be trusted, and that girl doesn’t seem mean any harm. So after a deep sigh, she lets out the truth. She spoke of how her father became a drunkard when her mother died to a disease. Only left with little Sooyoung, her father was clouded with lust and alcohol that he molested her during her early childhood. Her father died to a car accident, so Sooyoung was forced to live in an orphanage since none of her family members were present. On such a young age, she thought herself hat the world was cruel and no one will have the heart to help you. She learned that the only goodness you get to feel is when you accomplish anything you want, even your sins. Eventually, a couple took her in and Sooyoung thought this was it. The turn over in her cruel life. But her parents weren’t very nice too, as they were very strict to Sooyoung, forcing her to become a model by keeping her diet too healthy, and made her go to ballet lessons without her consent. All of what Sooyoung is now was the fault of her parents, both of the pair. When they died, Sooyoung felt relieved and happy as she now holds the family fortunes, and having no sibling and already working as a model to a wealthy company, she enjoyed her life with countless alcohol, drugs and lustful men and women to enjoy. She was a real sinner, she thought. She knew all that everything she did was not pleasing to her God, so she forgot about him and lead her own life. So what did Sooyoung do to deserve someone to listen to her self issues? What did she do to face this good woman in front of her? Heck, this was the most emotions she laid out of her entire life, Sooyoung felt like crying. 


To have someone to pour out every little anger and grief you wanted to tell to, and this person being someone you adore, she felt that the weight she’s been carrying in her body was gone. After telling Jiwoo everything, she lets out a smile and tries to listen what Jiwoo has to say. “Im no God, obviously”, Jiwoo chuckles and continues, “but I think you’ve been in so much pain that you had to retort with your temptations as an alibi for all the sadness you were feeling”, Sooyoung was confused but she tried her best to listen and understand the shorter woman. “You had no one to turn to, since you grew up thinking that you had only yourself to trust. You had no friends, and felt something missing in your heart. And Sooyoung, this is about to sound hilarious, but I think God has fated you and I to help you start over” and it was hilarious, as Sooyoung loses her focus and starts laughing silently. She was into Jiwoo, she has finally concluded that, but not into what she just said. “You’re kidding right?” Sooyoung could only tease as Jiwoo pouts. “If he didn’t, we wouldn’t be talking about you now”. Sooyoung had the feeling of leaving again, but she wanted to keep seeing  this woman. Maybe another time, where she asks her number and meet her someplace else. Maybe back at her apartment. “Well, why me though? I’ve forsaken him right? Why all this fate bull?” Sooyoung finally lets out a swear without thinking, and notices the mistake as she raises her eyebrows. Jiwoo seemed cool about it though, and replied “Maybe he gave you a chance”. Sooyoung was struck by those words. “Gave you a chance” played again and again in her mind, as she assess her thoughts. “Why?”, she has been saying that word a lot this morning. Jiwoo, smiling in confidence and fire in her eyes, replied with “You were a real sinner to his eyes, and you needed someone to cut off your horns”. That’s it, she felt like falling in love with this woman. Not desire, lust or anything else. She loved how this woman was straightforward yet comforting at the same time. She was intimidating but cute, daring but lovely. Sooyoung assured herself that Jiwoo has got to be hers. Sooyoung was dazed and thought it for a moment. It was ghard for her to believe, but maybe, just maybe she thought, she could give this a chance. If not for a change of heart, if not for religion, then maybe for her. After Jiwoo’s terrific reply, she smirked and said “Maybe I do”. Jiwoo smiled cheerfully and let out a silent yes, which she found cute. “Well, where do we start?” Jiwoo asks enthusiastically. “Maybe my ual orientation?” Sooyoung with her eyes closed of embarrassment. “God said to love one another, whatever their race or gender is. Just go to God to help you clear your thought of your gender”. Jiwoo replied carefully, to not insult the celebrity model. “So you’re saying that sleeping wih women is wrong?”, “Im saying that loving the same wont make God angry or hate you, as we are all sinners of different forms and loves us for who we are, but having , well… its not appealing to him. My other members didn’t hate me of my gender, being a lesbian”. Okay, Sooyoung was just confused of the confession. Did she just say that she was lesbian? Sooyoung didn’t hate the fact that Jiwoo was a lesbian, she LOVED it. She was just bewildered, that’s all. Next, she started breathing inhaling deeply to calm herself and confessed her next problem, “Well, I never really had anyone to tell my problems. I felt small and lonely so I acted all tough and y”, Sooyoung confessed. She felt a hand touch hers, and she could swear she would’ve kissed that hand. “Starting now, I’ll be your friend”. Sooyoung liked what she heard, but in her mind, she wanted more. She was clouded of thoughts having Jiwoo as her girlfriend. She had a couple of girlfriends that were a secret from the nation in the past, but having Jiwoo sounds amazing. Sooyoung took a second to think through what she wants to say, but she just couldn’t resist. She builds up the courgae she has left and looks at Jiwoo with a bright smile and thinks to herself “I don’t care anymore, God give me strength”. “What if I ask for more than a friend?”

Jiwoo is visibly shocked of the confession, but she starts to turn red and looks down, feeling shy. She laughs it off, and tells Sooyoung, “That will have to wait. You have to take the person out first”. Sooyoung felt brighter and happier due to the success she felt with Jiwoo. Its not that they’re officially in a relationship, but Soooyung is happy to know that Jiwoo would not reject her, a sinnner who will change for just for Jiwoo. Sooyoung laughs too, remembering what she just confessed to Jiwoo and finding it kind of cringe-worthy. “Well, my apartment is always lonely, so If I call you would you come over?”, “You have to get my number first”, Jiwoo said while placing her elbows on the table and cupping her face with her hands, which Sooyoung just found adorable and couldn’t resist laughing to herself. “I’ll take it after we get ice cream. I don’t need your answer, Ill call the car” Sooyoung replies, feeling like such a ladies man. Jiwoo raises her eyebrows in amazement of how bold Sooyoung was, and finds it attractive. They sit down chatting and flirting inside the café, as they wait for thr service car to arrivr on such a romantic cloudy morning.


Jiwoo does not deny that dating a model would be amazing. Sooyoung was troubled by her past, but Jiwoo never told hers. She was heart broken. After her 4 long years with Haseul, the woman broke up with Jiwoo like they never meant anything at all. Jiwoo cried again and again over her, and even went to the church to ask for God’s help. A missionary found her that night and decided to help Jiwoo. Her name was Jungeun, and she was troubled too. God had Jungeun, a missionary of the chuch, destined to help Jiwoo, and so Jiwoo recovered when she joined the church and became a missionary. Jungeun helped Jiwoo see the light of God, and helped her become a missionary too. But Jiwoo’s trouble of finding the love that will last her a lifetime was still unsolved. God taught her to remain patient, and so she did. And so today, as she waits for Sooyoung’s car to take her on a date with the model to a ice cream shop, she feels that her to troubles have been finally heard by God, as she exits the café with Sooyoung.

Fin.