The Acrobat

Twisted Tales of Love and Pain

The arena was dark. Quietly, the slender shape of the acrobat darted across the floor, catching hold of the long rope which swung from the ceiling. Hand over hand, he climbed to the top, swinging lightly and gracefully to the balcony high over the arena. 

A thin shaft of light from the clumsily blinded window reflected off the gleaming sapphires on his tight deep blue costume. He pulled the shades closed quickly. 

Voices filled the arena- hushed, but echoing so that even from his perch, he couldn't possibly miss a word that was spoken. He narrowed his eyes, listening intently.

He caught just three words- I love you -but it was enough. His theory was proved. He ended the recording with a light tap of his finger, the fancily painted nails clicking quietly against the screen. 

Here was the proof. The ringmaster was in love with his own brother. 

'Your secret is as good as out, Mr Park,' he called, ducking behind the curtain so the ringmaster couldn't see him. 

'Where are you?' Park Chanyeol's voice boomed. He was truly terrifying when he was angry. The acrobat shuddered. 

'That is not for you to know. You're a goner, Mr Park, if you don't bring your main act back.'

'Sehun....' the ringmaster growled. 'Baekhyun and I can handle the new routines better without you. You are dismissed from duty. Go employ yourself somewhere else.' 

'Fine.' His voice was calm. 'But the world knows your secret. One tap of my finger and your reputation is destroyed forever.'

'I hate you.'

'You shouldn't hate me. You used to love me. I have the upper hand here, dear husband. Give me what I want, or lose everything.' 

'I'm not your husband,' the ringmaster shouted. 'I can't believe I ever was!'

'Whose fault was it, Chanyeol? Tell me.'

'I asked you as a joke,' he faltered. 

'You mean to tell me the ring you spent a fortune on, the whole celebration you took weeks to set up, the tears you shed while you knelt in front of me and again when you said your vows, that was a joke? Dear Chanyeol, your memory is getting misty, I'm afraid.'

'I-'

The younger Park spoke now. His voice was deadly quiet. 

'I accept. Sehun, you may return. But you must tell no one of our secret, and delete your proof.' 

'I will. Thank you, Park Baekhyun. You are a better man than my ex husband ever was.'

'Do not insult Chanyeol.' 

'Do not insult the man who divorced me for his own brother. Easier said than done, Park Baekhyun. However, I shall try to obey.' He slid down the rope and exited silently. 

'Baekhyun....' Chanyeol murmured. 

'It's for our safety.' 

'I hate him. I regret that I ever married him.'

'I know. But the past can't be rewritten. So let's put it away and enjoy our present. Together.' 

They kissed warmly. 'I love you,' Chanyeol whispered. 

'I love you too.'

The video was ended, outside the door. The smile on the acrobat's face, hidden from the brothers' view, was pure murder. 

'I keep my promises well, but I twist my own words even better,' he whispered darkly.