Part 1

Please Stay

 

            The prep room was quite grand large.  Only rich tones of creams, gold, pearls, and pinks elaborated the room that looked like it could had been the Palace of Versailles.  French crown molding was emphasized through the small, but beautiful, hanging crystal lights.  Special fleur-de-lys were carefully painted on the fine wallpaper that always appeared to be brand new, despite the years it stayed.  In the corner of the room was a bowl with ice, while another bowl sat on top.  This allowed the fruits inside to remain chilled.  Next to this was a bitten apple and a forgotten white strand form a peeled orange.

            Despite the sunny day, the room was dimly lit.  Unlike the outdoors, this place was cold.  To bring some warmth, the old-fashioned stone fireplace was put into use.  Despite the low fire and lighting, it brought an ambience needed.  A few feet away were a creamy Victoria love seat and arm chair.  Next to it was a matching coffee table.  Placed on it was an apple cider glass.  Besides it was a pair of resting feet dressed with black Salvatore Ferragamo lace-ups. 

            The owner of the shoes was sunken in the love seat.  His arms tried to relax on each side of the seat.  Then one of them reached into the midnight black tuxedo jacket.  His hand scrambled for a few moments until it found the right pocket.  From there easily fished out a familiar small glass bottle.  Before fully revealing his drink of choice, he stayed still for a few moments.  Hearing no sounds, he opened the dark bottle and chugged it on the spot.  It was sweet but had a strange after taste.  After all, it was a Bacchus-D energy drink.  He needed all the sugar.

            A jolt to the heart, he stood up with the temporary new found energy.  He stepped to the platform and stood still.  Normally his hair was long, thick, and wavy.  He let it free.  Today it was combed back and gelled.  Every strand held down.  Curious at the gel’s strength, he tried to pull a strand out.  It was no use.  It just stayed there.  He then had his hand touch his face.  For the first time, he was caked with makeup.  There was the foundation, powder, and all things girls knew about when it came to this face paint.  Based on the smears on his fingers, it was still fresh.

            Despite the prep that was irritating and time-consuming, he admitted that he was quite dapper.  Hugo Boss tuxedo and Ferragamo shoes were appropriate.  H e was almost done.  Except for his bow tie.  It needed to be done.  Later though, when it was time. 

            His eyes strayed away from his image.  Instead, they glazed.  One would think from a glance that he was staring at himself in the mirror.  That was fine for now.  However, looking closer one could they were lost.  His body was there.  Not his mind and soul.  They were in his place, far from the world.

            A door creaked and six heads appeared.  It was like the dwarves from Snow White, piled on top one another.  What they needed was their seventh who was inside the room already.

            “Hey, Taecyeon.  Can we join?”

--------

            On the other side of the Han River was an average apartment.  Covered in decent, but cheap, windows, one could see the residents and hallways through the spotty glass.  On the fifth floor, a door slammed where the blonde resident ran down the hallway.  She never ran much, but her legs counted on it.  Right when she was close to the elevator door, she realized that she only had her house keys.  Cursing herself for awhile, she finally ran back to her apartment door.

            “Where are you friends when you need them for times like this, the blonde muttered as she scrambled her pockets to find her keys. 

            “Finally,” she struggled to open her heavy apartment door as soon as possible.  Once she was inside, she ran to her messy bedroom.  Inside was a mess with clothes strewn everywhere.

            Swishing around she finally spotted her main tools.  On the dresser were her car keys and cell phone.  How could she forget them today?  Picking them up, she made a mad run to the door.  However, she realized that she was forgetting something.

            “How could you not remember to wear that outfit today?” she slapped her forehead, “Especially today Gyuri!”

            Repeating her earlier actions, Gyuri ran to her bedroom door repeatedly yelling to herself, “I can’t be late!”

-------

            “Can you believe it, dude?”  Junsu asked the obvious while sitting on the plush armchair. 

            “Weird huh?” Wooyoung added in, “Who knew you would be the first?”

            “Taecyeon I know you’re tired and need some sugar, but aren’t there any drinks here?” Junho searched every cabinet in the room to find the tiniest amount of alcohol.

            The door slightly open, where Jay and Chansung poked their heads in.  Chansung held up an ordinary shopping bag from a department store.  Jay slipped in the room, “I got the shoes you needed.”

            Taecyeon did not deviate his direction from the mirror, “Shoes?”

            Chansung rolled his eyes and pulled out a couple of bottles of tequila.  He cracked open the bottles and poured a fine amount in plastic cups for each one in the room.  Jay handed them out, but Taecyeon did not take it.

            “C’mon man let’s celebrate today.  It’s your wedding,” the Seattle man tried to convince his friend.

 

Three Weeks Ago

            Taecyeon and Gyuri ran down the stairway.  Luckily his office was only one floor below them, so they did not need to wait for the elevator.  Since Taecyeon picked her up from work, he needed his keys which were in his office. Being a high leveled executive allowed him to have the pleasure of calling one of the company cars to pick her up.  However, he rather do it himself.  He did not have a good logical reason to tell people like his father why he needed to drop off his girlfriend when he was already late.  It is just that he loved her and wanted to spend more time with her.  Besides he could make up the hours later.

            Frantic and out of breath, they ran down the hallway where passersby looked strangely.  Many wondered where their boss was the entire time, so they were surprised to see him so suddenly.  However, the smile on his face calmed them down along with the sight of his beautiful girlfriend.  Since reuniting, Taecyeon became the nice understanding boss that people started to like.

            “Hamster!” Taecyeon called for his cheery secretary who was not at her desk.  She was probably in his office, preparing for the meeting.  Taecyeon held Gyuri’s hand, “Let me tell Seungyeon I’ll hold the meeting over the phone.  That way I can drop you off.”

            Before he could open his door, Seungyeon popped out of his room.  At first, she jumped, almost dropping some of the files in her hands.  However, her boss was quick enough to catch them.  Once they were composed, Taecyeon smiled and tried to tell her his plans.  Seungyeon was not taking the news well as she tried to protest him.  A first for them.

            “Taecyeon, you need to go to this meeting!  Your father is in the room, the tiny secretary threw herself in front of the door. 

            “Perfect then.  I’ll tell him myself instead,” Taecyeon chuckled.  He then carefully moved Seungyeon, as he and Gyuri made their way into the room.

            Sitting in the young man’s chair was his father.  It was not rare to see a stern cold face on him.  Most people would think Ok Hyunjae was stuck in one of the worst days ever.  For those who knew him, this was his average face.  Hands collected together, the man in his early sixties stared at the young couple at the doorway.

            Immediately taking notice, Gyuri bowed at ninety degrees, “Good afternoon Mr. Ok.  How was your day today?” As much as she was nervous of her boyfriend’s father, she tried to be as kind as possible.  One day he could be her father-in-law.

            In a low voice, Hyunjae responded, “Good afternoon Ms. Park.  I feel good today.  If you could, please stand outside.  Taecyeon needs to stay here.”

            “About that, could we have a telephone conference today?  I promised Gyuri I would drop her off,” Taecyeon tried to convince his father.

            “That is not possible, son.  The people are already here,” Mr. Ok pointed to the four seated chairs in front of him.  Gyuri and Taecyeon could not see their faces, for their backs were only seen.  However, they understood what was important.

            Taecyeon turned to Gyuri and squeezed her hand, “Yobo, call Changmin and ask him to cover for you this afternoon.  Don’t worry we’re still good friends.  I’ll try to finish this meeting ASAP.”

            “Okay chagiya.  Fighting!” Gyuri pumped her fists in support of her boyfriend.  As soon as she left the meeting commenced.

            “Son your mother and I have something to tell you,” Mr. Ok announced to the room.  Then Taecyeon’s mother rose from one of the chairs.  She walked next to his father and placed her hands on the chair.

            “Taecyeon, you’re getting married.”