Hospital Stays

Please Stay

 

            Since that talk in Taecyeon’s hospital room, a week and a half progressed.  Stuck in bed, Taecyeon was confined to the large, but limited property.  When he felt like it, he would wander around the hospital floors, where life was an eye-opening experience.  He would see miracles performed that seemed impossible.  People, in cases worse than his, would be close to knocking on death’s door, but suddenly were freed from their prisons.  Just recently he met a little seven-year-old girl, who was diagnosed with cancer since she was five.  Miraculously, she was put into remission after stopping her treatments.  Unexplainable by science, but her and her family credited to faith and prayer.

            Not all cases had their happy endings.  An older man, who was brutally beaten on his way home from work, appeared to be recovering.  He seemed fine.  In fact, he was joking around with all the patients and the hospital staff.  Then he was notified of an infection that took away his precious life a few days later.  Despite knowing the man for a short period, Taecyeon was deeply affected by it.  In places where life took its chances, people were brought together.  However, Taecyeon also learned about hope and miracles in a difficult place.  For without life’s challenges, one could not gain hope or realize miracles.

            After that particular talk, Gyuri left the hospital immediately once she found the first opportunity to end the conversation.  It was not like her to do this, but she needed space.  She needed to figure out everything that was this situation.  The fact that Taecyeon “cheated” and was unsure of the events bothered her.  He explained his side to her, but it did not bring the closure she desired.  However, there was something so innocent about him.  Maybe she thought it was her love for him that wanted him to be uninvolved with this.  The fact that she still loved him was and was not a shocker.  Realizing that she was not as angry at him as a sign of forgiveness.  These things scared her because wasn’t it normal for someone to hate his or her cheating partner?  She did not want her mercy to be taken lightly of.  What if he started to act up because of this?  All of this and more was put into consideration.  Yet what mattered was their trust.  She was mixed.

            The next day his room was filled with gifts and visitors.  People from powerful companies and rich families sent lavish sweets, balloons, and flowers that burst numerous colors, which beautifully decorated his room.  Some gifts included silk robes, ties, and even a Rolex watch. 

             There were many people visiting him too.  Wooyoung, Nichkhun, Junho, Junsu, Chansung, and Jay hung out with him for the majority of the day. They chatted and joked, only briefly taking Taecyeon’s mind off of Gyuri.  Women who Taecyeon was acquainted with due to family friends and business visited.  Due to Gyuri’s absence, many tried to act or be extremely close to the injured bachelor.  Many were rich spoilt single girls decked out in designer brands that sauntered in the room nonchalantly.   Some would bring meals that their chefs prepared, while others brought herbs and medicines.  When inside the room, the girls would sneer and glare at one another, while vying for Taecyeon.  However, the guys would secretly laugh about this when they were alone. 

             Despite the time with his friends and various people’s attention, Ok Taecyeon was still stuck and lonely.

              Like the second, the third day was similar with his grandpa and parents.  The day before, everyone in the company needed to stay behind due to the shortage of executives.  However, it allowed the Ok family to take the next day off to spend with Taecyeon.  During their visit, the family discussed business matters and the follow up on the hotel in Los Angeles.  They aloes talked about the trial.  Taecyeon’s family and friends were overjoyed about the results because it freed Taecyeon.  His parents were especially the most excited, to the point where his mother was planning to throw a party in celebration of such news.  However, her only son stopped her, for he thought of it being inappropriate.  People still suffered.

             Later Taecyeon’s parents left due to a business dinner that could not be missed.  Around the same time, Taecyeon’s friends showed up and hammed it up with Grandpa Joon.  To all the boys, Joon was like their own grandpa.  It did not matter that they were not blood-related, for Joon treated everyone like family.  Time seemed to pass by for most in the room until they heard a knock on the doorway.

             There standing was the blonde beauty who dazzled despite a simple work outfit that consisted of a white blouse and navy pencil skirt with beige pumps;  Gyuri caught the room’s attention with her presence.  Taecyeon immediately made contact with her.  His eyes were full of worry, but happiness too because she finally came back into his life.  However, he knew that everything was not right.  It was on her face.  The left side of her lips slightly curved up, but it stopped a quarter up.  Her eyes were not as bright and seemed tired, but he knew sleep was the cause of it.  After such intensity, Gyuri broke the connection.  Her eyes shifted around the room.

             “Hey guys,” Gyuri happily greeted the boys.  Despite the situation, she was able to hide her uneasiness with her tone and hand motions.  No matter what, Gyuri was the type of person who did not want to make those around her uncomfortable.  She would rather sacrifice her own means for the sake of others.

             “Hi Gyuri!” all the boys and Grandpa Joon harmoniously replied.

             “Are you feeling better?” Chansung asked as he pointed to her forehead.

             “Your cuts look healed,” Junsu bumped in.

             Hearing this Gyuri smiled, “Thanks, guys.  I just wanted to stop by with a special delivery.”

             A delicious spicy scent permeated the room as she pulled up a plastic bag filled with delicious treats.  Walking towards Taecyeon’s bed, she passed by everyone making their mouths water.  Taecyeon’s heart beat erratically as he watched her approach him.  Being away from her burdened his heart and what made it worse was that she still was in pain.  For a moment his worries quickly stopped when she stood next to his bed.

            She gave him a fast smile as she pulled his table in front of him.  Then she placed the bag on top, but she was not done.  One by one she pulled out different containers.  There were a few rolls of kimbap with savory bulgogi and fish cake pieces rolled with daikon, carrots, cucumbers, and spinach.  Then there was a small clear plastic dish that stored cucumber snacks.  Besides those, she had two large close containers and started to open them.  One had cooked ramen noodles with veggies and grilled chicken strips.  The other was filled with a spicy miso broth that was very familiar to them.  Once she opened them, Gyuri filled the ramen cup with the perfect amount of liquid.  Even though she was tending to him with her mixed emotions, she was not done until she opened his favorite cold peach green tea.

           “I heard that a certain someone wasn’t enjoying hospital meals, so I stopped by somewhere special.  She wanted me to tell to get well,” Gyuri said after she finished unpacking everything.

            Normally Taecyeon would not let her serve him.  To him, she should be the one taking of her in any way possible.  However, he was entranced by her.  The way she moved was light and graceful.  He felt a sense of warmth and love, which he dearly missed from her.  At this point, he was so confused.  What was going on in her head?

           While she was not looking, Taecyeon signaled everyone to leave the room.  Being the observant, Jay was able to catch on to the desperate signs.  At first he chuckled to himself seeing his eager friend.  Then he had to come up with something.

           “Hey guys let’s go grab some of that chicken we were talking about,” Jay tried to grab their attention.

           Mmm… what chicken?” Chansung muttered in between the mouthfuls of kimbap.  His face looked like he was caught red handed.  

           “Yeah I thought he we were all going to stay here,” Junho questioned the American man.

           Trying to get everyone out, Jay continued with the act, “You don’t remember the spicy chicken restaurant near Khun’s place?”

           “What about?” Wooyoung tried to catch on.

           Jay motioned his hands, hoping the guys would get the drift, “You know the dinner that I was going to treat you to… Get it?”

           “FREE CHICKEN! I’m in,” Chansung celebrated, immediately leaving Taecyeon’s meal alone.  He and most of the gang ran to the door, where the Seattle boy was standing.

            “You’ll be okay” Khun checked upon his friend before leaving.

            “Don’t worry guys.  Gyuri’s here with me,” Taecyeon tried to assure his friend.

            “I get it now, we’re going because of Gy-” Junho almost stated the obvious, but Jay covered Mr. Obvious’s mouth.

            “Well… we’ll be heading out. C’mon Grandpa you’ll feast with us tonight,” the Seattle boy nervously chuckled as he led everyone- except Gyuri and Taecyeon- out of the room.  Before Jay left, he gave Taecyeon the “you owe me BIG time” look to which Ok laughed at in agreement.

            Once they were alone, both were silent.  Gyuri watched him as he pounced on his food.  They made eye contact every few moments, but one of them would break it.  The only sound heard was he slurping of delicious ramen. This continued for awhile until Taecyeon finished the last of his food.  Satisfied, he rubbed his belly in delight and started to clean up after himself.

            “Don’t do that, let me,” Gyuri snatched the trash Taecyeon’s hands.

            Both tried to clean up the mess, but they ended up in being each other’s way.  He tried to stop her from spoiling him.  She on the other hand, would not listen.  At some point, they tried to clean their own sides, but their hands met.

           “I’m sorry,” Taecyeon immediately pulled his hand back.  However, he noticed a few red marks on Gyuri’s perfect milky skin.  Naturally concerned, he unconsciously grasped her hands to inspect them.  Holding them softly, Taecyeon scanned everywhere to ensure she was fine.  Gyuri on the other hand, stood still and let him continue.  Even though she was on shaky terms with him, there was this hold on her he had.  He did not violate her space.  To her everything was right.  They were in their own zone.

            However, her emotions were muddled.  She needed to set things straight.  For she loved him, but she did not trust him.  What scared her was the idea that Taecyeon controlled her too much.  Would he take her mercy too lightly?  Besides she did not want their relationship to be on rocky terms.  In order for things to get back to fear, they needed to reflect and nurture their relationship.

            Pulling her head back a few moments later, Gyuri apologized, “I’m sorry, but not now.”

            Understanding, Taecyeon nodded.  Still a part of him was desperate and impatient to return to how things were.  Then again, such events required time and patience.  Like the old saying went, patience was a rewarding virtue.  Instead of pushing her, he smiled, “How was your day?”

            Gyuri returned a closed grin, “Good. You?”

            From there, they started an awkward, but small conversation about their day.  Even though it was strange, both tried their best.  They still wanted to be on good terms.  This routine continued every day.  After work, Gyuri would pick up or make his favorite foods and drop it off at the hospital.  They would chat for a bit, but Gyuri was still guarded.  Also there were a couple of incidences in which others came to visit while they were alone.  The first one was with Taecyeon’s mother, which did not end well.  The other one involved a couple of girls, which made the “friends” uneasy.

           While the hospital stay seemed long, it was facilitated by Gyuri’s visits.  Her presenece speeded time if that was even possible.  Taecyeon tried his best to jump back to her good side at every chance, but it was difficult.  His friends tried to aid him, but he wanted to solve this on his own.  He caused it.  He had to end it.

           At last, it was Taecyeon’s final day.  His doctor assigned his discharfe to be around 12 PM due to other patients in the morning.  Excited to return back home, Taecyeon woke up earlier than usual during his stay.  Realizing that it was only 7 AM, he decided to watch TV to kill some time.  It seemed to move at the speed of a tortoise, but then he heard a knock.

           “Morning,” a feminine voice alerted him.

           The voice was somewhat similar, so Taecyeon looked, hoping to see his favorite girl.  Standing at the doorway was a longer pair of legs.  Then as his eyes travelled up, he saw locks of black hair.  Then he instantly realized the owner of these features.  Instead of his blonde beauty, there was Im Yoona.

           Disgusted, Taecyeon did not dare to make contact with the woman who started the biggest issue on his hands.  Not wanting to communicate with her, Taecyeon turned his attention back to the TV.  Even though it was an episode of Keroro, anything was better than seeing Yoona.  In fact, he would even take a marathon of brutal bloody horror films than a glance at the sneaky woman.

           Seeing how her work was cut out, Yoona chuckled to herself.  She really liked a challenge.  Especially the one named Ok Taecyeon, who was worth the effort.  Slithering to his side, she took a seat on his bed.  This stirred up some a kettle of anger, evident to his furrowing brows and his heated brown orbs concentrating on the screen.  He thought that if ignored her she would go away.  However, she started his arm.  Furious at this point, Taecyeon flung her hand off of his.

           “What are you doing?” the furious injured one hollered.  His face was turning red, as his nostrils flared.

           “Tic tic tic,” Yoona shook her head. “I’m just checking up on you sweetie-”

            “Don’t call me that,” Taecyeon hissed back.

             Looking up to the ceiling with her index finger on her chin, Yoona said, “Well that’s not how I remember us being.  That night back was a complete 180.  You were-”

            “I would never sleep with you.”

            “Then why were we in your bed the next day?  Hmm?”

            This stumped Taecyeon, who did not have the answer yet.  Before he could answer the question, his phone alerted him of a new message.  Curious who it was from, Taecyeon looked at his phone. 

Let's take a break. 

            It was from Gyuri.