final

Talk to Me

Sakura’s routine started a few weeks ago when she caught a glimpse of the younger girl. Something about her had her captivated her – maybe it was the way her chocolate eyes were lit with a playful determination when she was concentrating or the way her ash brown hair fluttered in the air when she danced. Something about the girl had Sakura captivated. The problem was she didn’t even know who she was.

 

The Japanese girl hid behind her thick frames as she watched the girl interact with her friends in the cafeteria. She could easily pick out Yuri’s girlfriend Yena and the resident troublemaker Yujin actively participating in the boisterous shenanigans. The cafeteria didn’t mind the noise as it fuelled the light-hearted atmosphere that everyone felt at ease in.

 

The cherry-blossom didn’t realise how much she was staring until Chaewon nudged her arm and she looked at her group to be greeted with smug faces. Sakura in the wasn’t impressed in the slightest as she playfully nudged Chaewon back. Their table erupted into laugher as they witnessed a faint blush dust Sakura’s cheeks.

 

“So, who’s the lucky girl?” Nako teased, even though Sakura knows that the smaller girl knows who it is, having stayed up until 2am ranting to the younger about the quote ‘prettiest girl in the universe’ unquote. Nako decided that her time should be compensated. 

 

Sakura practically cursed under her breath and looked to Hitomi to possibly save her, but the girl just shook her head in amusement – a smile blatant on her face. “I don’t know her name,” Sakura was about to continue but a wave of gasps and expressions of shock-horror stared her in the face. Sakura wanted to sink into her chair if she could, but the thought was dismissed quickly as Wonyoung recovered the quickest.

 

 “Unnie, which one do you like?” Wonyoung asked as she pointed to Yena’s group, a slight hint of frustration evident in her voice. “Umm…” Sakura hummed as she stood up to get a better view of the group until she pointed at the familiar ash brown hair and dazzling smile – with a voice louder than she expected she said, “That one.” Her finger was evidently pointing towards Lee Chaeyeon as the group realised – apparently the whole cafeteria knew as well as she froze in position with her entire face bursting into a scarlet red.

 

 Her eyes caught her mystery girl’s. The latter had an affectionate glint in them as a smile played on her lips. Yena and Yujin would be nudging the girl as her pinks turned pink although Eunbi was quick to shut them down yet the look in her eyes were also hinted to teasing the younger girl.

 

Slowly, Sakura sat down and slid under the table and squatted to hide from reality. Her friends glanced to the table with blank faces. Hitomi was the first to speak up, “Saku-chan, it’s fine! I’m sure everyone will forget soon enough!”

 

“Yeah, come out from under the table, you’re embarrassing us.” Nako’s savagery hit like a knife as Sakura crawled back up with teary eyes.

 

 The bell rang, and their small group began to exit the cafeteria. Sakura noticed the thumbs up and smiles being shot her way as she walked through the corridors which confused her as she reached her class. It was almost as if everyone watched her like a hawk as she shuffled uncomfortably towards her seat.

 

 Instead of her desk being left clear as it had been earlier, there was a single rose along with a pink envelope. Sakura stared at the pair of items curiously as she picked up them up and observed them – admiring how neatly her name was written on the plain face of the note. The class was so quiet that everyone was able to hear the Japanese girl opening the hand-written note. They all watched as she lifted the note until it was inches away from her face.

 

 To my dearest cherry blossom,

I know that we don’t know each other but something about you has me enchanted. The first time I saw you, you stole my heart even though we’ve never spoken. But I knew when I heard your voice that I wanted to get to know you – your voice reaches to me like a melody that I never want to stop listening to.

I realised that I want to be there for you. I want to be your shoulder to cry on when you’re in your darkest times. I want to share your happiness and be there to congratulate you for achievements.

If you give me the chance, Miyawaki Sakura, I would be the happiest girl of my life.

From your secret admirer, Lee Chaeyeon

Ps. Meet me on the roof afterschool if I can have that chance’

 

Sakura felt the tips of her ears burn and her heart skip a beat – subconsciously she let out a long “Ehhhh”. She never thought that someone would feel that way towards her although she doesn’t recognise the name. Sakura still questioned why everyone reacted like that when she entered the room.

 

These things plagued her mind and distracted her from the last few lessons she had that day. She remained idle even as the bell indicating the end of the day had rang and the loud conversations intruded her concentrated state. Her eyes were left to stare at the rose that lay on her lap; the words of the note replaying in her mind like a broken record. She ran her hand through her hair as she thought about the last line even though her legs were already dragging her up the stairs to the roof.

 

Her hand met the cold metal of the door handle which snapped Sakura out of her trance. Her mind thought of her mystery girl as she pushed the door open with a slight hesitation – the ghost of her image haunting Sakura. She was set on the notion that she would never have the courage to interact, let alone converse, with the girl.

 

Surprisingly, the image of the girl seemed too realistic for the girl as she removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes almost in disbelief. Her mystery girl stood looking down on the retreating figures of students as they left the school grounds. Her golden hair danced in the wind as the setting sun basked her in a warm glow that amplified her beauty – Sakura couldn’t help but stare. As if feeling someone watching her, the girl turned around to face the Japanese girl with slight shock written on her face mixed with her cheeks slightly darkening. Sakura felt her face do the same as she could only freeze as she watched the girl take careful steps until they were right in front of each other.

 

Chaeyeon decided to be bold and took one last step and closed the distance as her arms wrapped lightly around the shorter girl, her head resting on top of her head. Her voice sounded so small as she said, “I’m glad you gave me a chance.”

 

At that point, Sakura too knew that this was who she wanted to be with. The warmth radiating from the other girl washed over like a wave and she never felt so loved in her life. Her arms enclosed around Chaeyeon and gripped her school blazer – her head nuzzling into the other girl’s neck.

 

 

“I am too.”