4419

A Little Lie Won’t Hurt, Will It?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello, who’s this?”

 

“Hyung! I got out! Where are you? Don’t you miss your dearest only brother?”

 

Hyunjin was smiling excitedly and chewing his gum at the same time while adjusting his shoulders to the heavy backpack he's carrying on his back. He was standing on a public payphone near the bus stop. He then held the phone with his left shoulder to peek in the paper bag he’s holding using his both hands. It was a handmade navy blue scarf inside the bag. He looked at the scarf lovingly and smiled at the thought of his brother seeing it.

 

“What?! Y-you got out already? Why so early? I thought you’ll be released by December?“ his brother, Jinyoung, said on the other line with a hint of nervousness in his voice. 

 

Hyunjin gingerly put down the paper bag and held the phone with his left hand. “You seem worried. I heard you got a babe while I was away. Is it because of her? You’re ashamed to introduce your delinquent brother whose vacation house is always a juvenile prison? Don’t worry. I get it,” Hyunjin replied. He his lower lip and pushed his inner right cheek using his tongue, a habit he always does whenever he felt disappointed. He lowered his head and sighed heavily.

 

“Hyunjin-ah, it’s not like that. You know how much Hyung loves you, right? It’s just that, we’ll be having a dinner in our favorite restaurant on my birthday and I already told her you’re not coming because you’re studying abroad. What will she think of me knowing you’re actually here?” Jinyoung carefully explained as if he’s afraid to hurt his brother’s feelings further.

 

“Then tell her I’m having a brief break so I’m coming back unexpectedly. You know you’re not good at choosing menu. You always needed me. See you in a month,” Hyunjin immediately hung up the phone without hearing Jinyoung’s response.

 

“Studying abroad my ,” Hyunjin hissed as he picked up the paper bag, walked out the phone booth and headed to the bus stop.

 

Hyunjin was a known troublemaker in his school with his bestfriend slash partner in crime, Changbin. He always ends up in prison because of all sorts of scams he’s involved. Thanks to his beautiful face and great acting skills, he can easily lure victims into his schemes.

 

His brother, Jinyoung, however still loves him so much despite the headaches he’s giving him. They only got each other’s back after all because of the absence of parents in their lives. Hyunjin loves his brother so much as well that he used his acting skills in order to be the most outstanding and well-behaved kid inside the prison to get an early release so that he’ll be able to give the scarf he made specially for his brother as a present on his birthday. His brother often calls him “tsundere” for always showing a cold personality in public but deep down, he’s actually a soft and caring person.

 

He knew how Jinyoung wants both of them being together during their birthdays every year so he was surprised and disappointed when his brother talked to him like that.

 

His train of thoughts was interrupted when a bus arrived in front of him.

 

“Bus 4419”

 

He threw his gum in a bin and got in even though he didn’t really know where he’s going yet. He literally have nothing with him except for a few clothes. Will it be okay to stay with Changbin for the meantime? He thought.

 

He sat in the middle of the bus, on the right seat by the window and put his backpack on the bus floor while he hugged his paper bag. He wanted some good amount of air to clear out his stressed mind. Before closing his eyes to take a short nap, he saw a student, most probably a year or two years younger, sat beside him with a light pink envelope and a small box on his hands. The boy looked at him and smiled genuinely but instead of returning the same, he closed his eyes, rested his head on the seat and slept while embracing his paper bag.

 

 

 

 

Hyunji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter