1/1

IDIOT GUIDE FOR COFFEE CRUSH

Jeon Jungkook hated his life. You could say that he is overdramatic but he really hated his life when he realized he just got fired from his part time job because of what? He pointed to female customer that it’s ual harassment to touch his . How could she decide that Jungkook should be flattered she touch his ?

Damn! If feminism should mean that Man and woman are equal then he could sue that . Unfortunately, his boss was an , he chose to fire a good worker who knew that being d by woman wasn’t favorable. 

The sky grumbled and a drop of water fell from it, Jungkook pointed his fist to sky, “Really? Don’t you know I’m having ty day? Do you really need to damn my existence?”  He knew he should never mad to God, because suddenly the rain poured out heavily. Jungkook ran as fast as he could to find shelter, in case, God decided to punish him by sending thunder.

“!” he cursed loudly. “I am idiot!” he wiped the rain drop from his arms.

“I agree.” A voice suddenly shocked him. Jungkook would shrill, if not he remember where he was. The voice belong to a woman with long hair, and charming cheek bones. But right now, All women would belong to deepest Pit of hell in his eyes.

“Who the hell are you?”

The woman shrugged, “I am person from earth.” 

Jungkook had no patient to talk with this woman so he barked, “Get lost, right now I’m not in mood to talk with creature without .” 

Instead of being offended the woman only pointed out the café name board. “But this is my café. I can’t get lost.” She said, then she laughed, “You should go but I think with this kind of weather you would die because of lightning struck. You know, because of your potty mouth.” Jungkook couldn’t refute that, why? Because she was right. Life could be an but Jungkook wouldn’t make it easy for them to condemn his existence. He wanted to life longer, thank you.

“Ah by the way, I’m searching for new employee, do you want to work here?” 

Jungkook wanted to freak out. Why? It was too much coincidence. No one should be that lucky. How could he lose a job and suddenly find a new one? Jeon Jungkook was nice guy, albeit a bit , he didn’t deserve to be played by the universe.

So Jungkook ran away. He feared that the woman just another ploy that sent by the universe to play with his life. Jeon Jungkook didn’t know that he would comeback later and find himself realize the one he should be afraid of wasn’t the woman.

***

Two weeks later, he found no job yet. The only job that wanted to accept him was a bar, but Jungkook refused to work there after the traumatic harassment. Plus it was a shady bar. In his desperation, Jungkook stopped at one café to have some coffee. 

He pushed the door and warmth voice greeted him, “Welcome to Skipper!”

The room was quite large with hearth on the one side, in front of the hearth there was yellow lemon sofa with round mahogany table. In one of the corner, there was modern book shelves with books -literal book- arranged properly. The rest of the table were clothed with pastel table clothes. The thing that invite you to get in was the warm atmosphere.

Jungkook walked toward the counter, a 20 something woman with high ponytails smiled at him, “Can I help you?”

Jungkook sighed and wanted to test the barista too, “Can I get custom drink?” Well, blame his peculiarity for this. Jungkook was superb when he did his job, so he wanted people do the same too.

“Yes.” The woman named Seulgi agreed.

“I want an Americano with two pumps of vanilla syrup and whipped cream with ginger spice.” 

Seulgi frowned but shrugging anyway, “Sure.” She whipped Jungkook order with ease. It seemed like Seulgi had already worked here so long because her pace belonged to professional.

Jungkook’s eyes watched her like vulture, just because he wanted to point her mistake but to find nothing made him a bit disappointed. Jungkook slurped his coffee anyway. A bit weird but hey who would judge him.

But how wrong Jungkook was because when he sat near the windows, the woman voice shocked him again, “Thanks god, I didn’t hire you. You have weird taste.”

Jungkook glared toward the woman, “Why the hell are you here?”

“This is my café, remember?” The woman said in ease.

Jungkook wanted to bang his head to windows, damn his forgetfulness. Well, That time Jungkook focused on the rain and why god condemned his life so he was never really paying attention to the café he took shelter.

Jungkook decided to save his face by keeping the farce of it’s not your business what I drink. “Also, my taste isn’t weird. It is unique.”

“Do you want to bet?” 

“Bet what?” 

“How about this  if you can make any…” she waved her hand to find the right term, “Concoction that sell well for today I will do what you want.”

Something seemed weird but Jungkook couldn’t put finger on it. “If I fail?” 

“Then you taste is weird and I’m lucky not to hire you.” She taunted him. She extended her hand to seal the deal with hand shake. 

Jungkook was a man that never backed down from challenge so he took her hand, “Fine. I will get the job and see who is the lucky one.”

The woman smiled eerily but she walked toward the counter and pulled out a blue apron. “Ah my name is Ailee, you can call me Natasha Romanoff from Black Widow,” he knew that time, he had made the biggest mistake of his life, but seeing the glint in Ailee’s eyes he knew it was too late to escape.

***

In the end Jungkook won the bet so why did he feel like losing? Ah yes, he remembered he did a perfect barista job, then actually the ‘concoction’ -Ailee called it like that- became so popular. Well, actually it helped too that he had this selling face factor. Blame it to society that loved lookism more than actual skill. Short story, he was hired legally. Jungkook remembered he signed something but his memories failed to recognize what kind of slave contract he had signed.

Back to the feeling, he was losing. It started when Ailee introduced the lovely manager of Skipper. Hell, he was so handsome even Jungkook had to admit that he had this face to attract more customer but his attitude was more than Jungkook. He had zero practically zero sense of humor, his name was the ing Kim Myungsoo.

“Are you still not working?” Myungsoo glared at him.

See even breathing was wrong in front of him, Jungkook was cheeky child so he had to blurt, “Hyung may be you should get laid to lessen your temper.” 

That was in mistake, because Myungsoo glare became more sadistic and cold. He added with low tone, “I will make sure you can even !” then his slavery work started. He had to sweep all the floor, wiped the windows until you couldn’t see the glass. Cleaning invisible dust from the table, even re-arranged the book in the shelves by code and color.

He literally had no energy to do anything in the end of the day. Heck, he really couldn’t . When he whined to Ailee, Ailee only said that Myungsoo liked him, what? how?

Ailee shrugged, “The fact he didn’t threaten to crush your family jewel prove it.” Jungkook gave up to reason with his boss. He should know better to resign as soon as possible but when he received the envelope after long week. Jungkook changed his mind. Heck even the old job didn’t pay this much.

He still hated his coworkers and boss though.

***

Jungkook was manning the counter when suddenly Seulgi yelped. She was on the floor during the busy hour to serve the food. An old lecherous man just slapped her . 

“Customer-nim.” Seulgi said in red face, “Please don’t do that.” She said firmly.

The man rubbed his under nose, “I’m sorry, my hand is slipped.” He said. Jungkook rolled his eyes, slipped? How could it slip and land conveniently on Seulgi’s . Jungkook thought it was over when suddenly Myungsoo passed beside the man with heavy book and knocked his head.

“Hey!” the man yelled. 

Myungsoo glared coldly, “I’m sorry my hand is slipped, sir.” He said.

The man was upset, he stood up and started yelling. “My slip, how can you slip when you know it is my head.”

Myungsoo kept his calm, he adjusted the book beside him. “I’m sorry I thought it is a pig head who only know to find excuse to touch on our young waitress. I can sue you for public disturbance and ual harassment.”

 “She doesn’t mind!”

“She wouldn’t warn you if she doesn’t mind.” Myungsoo retorted coldly. “Our café is not red light district, if you can’t keep your hand to yourself we will help you to do that.”

Jungkook couldn’t believe Myungsoo just threatened their customer like that but the impact was great. All of the customers especially women stared in admiration to Myungsoo, but in disgust to the man. 

Jungkook thought Myungsoo would use that to get some pretty girl for himself but actually he went straight to his own office to do some accountant work. The next day their café became more crowded and filled with women customer. Let Jungkook told you something, they were super generous.

Jungkook opinion changed a bit toward Myungsoo, hell, he even admired his calmness and courage to stand up for what was right. Well, admiration aside sometimes Jungkook still wanted to kick Myungsoo’s .

***

It was First Friday before Halloween. Jungkook found himself worked here more than three months already. Every time he had urge to resign the envelop on weekend always made him change his mind. He knew he had sold his sold his soul for money by now.

Everyday they would get turn to throw the garbage to trash can at the café back alley, Jungkook opened the dumpster when he heard small voice from the building behind the Café. He lifted his head to see a woman near the window on the opposite building playing guitar.

Jungkook wasn’t romantic in heart. He was the realist, his last relationship ended when he was too busy with university and part time. He didn’t really want to date again in case his girlfriend would dump him because of his busy schedule. Somehow, the picture of that woman embedded in his memories.

That woman straight black hair fell to her pale arms. It should be ordinary but Jungkook couldn’t take his eyes off of the woman. Her voice vibrated to the alley wall, it wasn’t a showy voice but instead a soothing one.

Jungkook made it his mission to throw the rubbish everyday. He hoped he could catch a glimpse of the woman voice again. “Here we are, the rubbish man.” Wendy, another coworker said.

Jungkook frowned, “That is bad name, noona.” 

“But it’s true.” Wendy said easily. Wendy was the chef-don’t call her cook, why? She had degree of culinary really, and she was a chef before.- she made perfect menu for lunch and dinner.

“No, it’s not! I’m happy to help you throw the rubbish.” He tried to find excuses. It was kind of embarrassing to let them know, he threw rubbish only to glimpse the mystery woman.

Wendy rolled her eyes, “Yeah, since when it become your favorite job? No one like to deal with garbage, Jungkook.”

“Why do I feel you’re not only talking about literal garbage?” 

“I’m talking about literal garbage in many forms. But the point is something definitely happened so you keep insisting to handle the dumpster.” Wendy answered.

“Well, he could have crush on our neighbor.” Ailee who sat on the bench at employee lounge chimed. Jungkook didn’t know why but Ailee was everywhere in this café.

Jungkook hid his blush, with the sleeves of his arm. “No I’m not.” 

Ailee shrugged, “Then he has crush on the dumpster.”

If hitting your employer was legal, Jungkook wanted to smack Ailee’s head. “Boss, do you think it’s possible to fall in love with trash can.” He asked in flat tone.

“Do you think it’s possible?” Ailee asked him back. She cut another paper and stretched it became the row of heart.

Jungkook rolled his eyes, “Any sane man won’t think it’s possible.” 

“Well, are you sane or not?”

“Of course I am.”  

“Then you have crush on our neighbor.” She concluded cheerfully, then she threw confetti to the sky, “Congratulation!” Wendy joined Ailee and clapped her hand.

Jungkook face palmed. He couldn’t refute this argument, why? Because if he refuted back, he would be crushing on trash can. He was fine with people , but that didn’t mean he had some questionable kink.

Myungsoo opened the lounge door, then sighed, “Once I come back, that confetti should off the floor, understand?” he warned them.

Ailee pouted, “Geeze, party popper. We are celebrating Jungkook’s first crush.”

“Not my first crush…” He was ignored by Ailee anyway. Because Ailee continued.

“It’s our new kid first crush, don’t you think we need to celebrate? We should throw coming age party.” She twirled her fingers happily, “Should we make an event?”

Jungkook shook his head desperately. His boss was crazy because she really made small even and called it crush day of Skipper. Who the hell wanted to have Valentine smell event before Halloween.

Apparently lot of. Even though they decorated the café with heart -well, black heart anyway- special dark chocolate drink, and pumpkin spice. Lot of couple came, because who said love supposed to be pink and all when you can have dark theme love. Also, they could have discount if they come in couple theme look for Halloween party.

Jeon Jungkook realized, his boss wasn’t really stupid, she was genius in disguise albeit crazy disguise.

Because of the event was huge success, They had to  work late. Jungkook wasn’t complaining because that meant he got huge bonus. Jungkook handled the trash once again. Don’t assume anything this was because Myungsoo ordered him too.

Jungkook just opened the dumpster lid, when he felt some one else in the alley. He turned his back and almost jumped out, because he saw a figure with black hoodie. “Who are you?” Jungkook was no coward so he confronted the figure.

“Oh, I am sorry to shock you.” It wasn’t normal for his heart to skip a beat just by hearing the voice but he recognized the owner of the voice. “I am the neighbor.” She smiled. Damn, she looked so cute closer. Her pale face, button nose and not so full lips. She was shorter than him. “You must be Ailee’s eonni new employee.”

The woman knew his boss. Well, Jungkook was stupid, of course she knew because they had been neighbor for long time. His boss could be weird but she was social butterfly. 

Jungkook nodded, “Yes, I am.” He tilted his head, “You know me but I still don’t know you, who are you?” Damn it. It didn’t sound so friendly but Jungkook couldn’t help himself.

“Ah, where is my manner?” the woman hit her own forehead, “My name is Lee Ji-eun.” 

“Jeon Jungkook.” Jungkook shook her hand coldly. 

Lee Ji-eun giggled, “I thought Ailee eonni only hire one Myungsoo oppa, but you sound a lot like him.” She definitely known Myungsoo and Ailee because she called them oppa and Eonni, did she have crush on Myungsoo?

Jungkook turned his head, “I really hope you don’t flock me together with Myungsoo hyung.” 

“Why not? Both of you attractive and handsome.” 

He was grateful it was dark alley because his face heated, damn it. People always called him handsome but this was the first time Jungkook felt bashful. He cleared his throat and avoided eye contact, “You are not bad yourself.” 

Lee ji-eun smiled, “You are not really good at giving compliment, aren’t you?” 

That was their conversation ever. It took Jungkook by surprised that he often met Lee Ji-eun at the alley. Sometimes, they didn’t talk at all. But a glimpse of smile was enough for him.

***

The question of Lee Ji-eun job was raised when the shop was closed and leaving him with Ailee alone. Ailee was humming some song about peanut butter to my jelly when they saw Lee Ji-eun ran banged the café door.

“Eonnie, can I have hot Americano with extra shot of espresso?” she panted. She wore yellow hoodie and grey cargo pants. Her bang was stick to her fore head because of sweat.

Jungkook stopped wiping the table near window, “Pulling all-nighter again?” 

Lee Ji-eun nodded, “Yup. I need extra energy to finish.” She turned around and saw Jungkook there, she smiled, “You work really hard, Jungkook-ssi.”

Jungkook shrugged, pretending that he wasn’t interested in finding out what was Lee Ji eun job. “The bill doesn’t pay its own.” He tried to act cool 

Ailee snorted from coffee machine, “He hasn’t graduate from university, but he tries to talk like we are.” Ailee poured the coffee into plastic cup.

Lee Ji-eun seemed so surprised, “Oh I thought you are same age as me. Omo, if you haven’t graduate from university that means you are younger.” 

Jungkook shot Ailee dirty look, but he managed to act nonchalantly. “I thought you are younger than me, may be because you are short.” 

“I’m not short, I am average.” She said. “Then you should call me Noona.” 

Oh, oh, oh. Jungkook knew he should call her noona, but he would be damned if he became brother and sister in any sense. It  was far worse than friend zone. Jungkook ignored her, “I refuse.”

Jungkook wasn’t trying to act tough, but really it was only his mouth always needed to mutter something harsh. If he became nervous sometimes, he would blurted out curt answer.

Lee Ji-eun pouted, “Cih, these youngsters have no respect for older person.” She accepted her Americano. Then she smiled at Ailee, “Thanks eonnie.” 

Jungkook couldn’t take off his eyes from Lee Ji-eun even after she disappear from his sight. He did it subtly, or so he thought. “You know, being mean to her wouldn’t help your case.”

Jungkook stared at his boss, “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Pretending to be stupid also doesn’t work for you.” She chimed helpfully. “Ji-eun prefer someone who nice and kind, not someone who has no manner.”

“I have manner.”

“Well, refusing to call her noona isn’t exactly what mannerly person would do.” She informed him.

Jungkook squinted his eyes, “And I don’t want to trap in brother-sister zone.” He grunted.

“Well, it’s better rather than I don’t even know you are exist in my world zone.” 

Ouch, that hurts. Because a month ago, Jungkook was still in that zone. He only could watch her from alley while Ji-eun played guitar in her room. He might think he is Romeo and Juliet but actually he more like creepy stalker.

“So, what is Lee Ji-eun job?”

Ailee eyes glinted in some strange shine, “Aha, why don’t you ask her?” Ailee asked. She seemed so curious.

Jungkook pretended not to see it and feign disinterest. “Fine if you don’t want to answer.” 

Ailee shrugged, “I want to tell you but well, it’s fun to let you find it yourself.” Ailee then skipped to up stair. Damn it, Jungkook fell into her trap. Damn his pride. Why did he have to be so prideful? If he answered Ailee’s damn question he would know by now.

***

Nothing was more pathetic than spending Christmas eve by yourself. 

That what happened with Jungkook, his parents suddenly had plan to have second in honeymoon. It was nice to see them still in love with each other but Jungkook really appreciated if they don’t suddenly just decided impulsively to fly to onsen in Japan few hours ago.

His brother, sweet brother even had girlfriend, so he had to stay home alone. He wanted to work but Ailee had gave him day off.

Jungkook picked up his dark scarf and decided to stop mopping about his lonely eve. He should better find something to do. Jungkook went public ice skating in Seoul Plaza. It seemed he had this masochist tendencies because he wanted to see lovey dovey couple while he was single.

It was a pleasant surprise to see the familiar Yellow hoodie in the crowd. Jungkook had to stop because he saw Lee Ji-eun sat on the single chair with her pink guitar. A decent crowd gather around, her voice carried a mellow melody. Jungkook knew that Lee Ji-eun voice was good, but he didn’t know it could attract people.

Her song choices was suitable for this cold weather, it was soft ballad. Somehow, it also felt warm. At first Jungkook was immersed with her song and voice but when he really looked at her, he felt his heart skip a bit.

She was so beautiful even with less make up. Her yellow hoodie and grey cargo pants should never be this attractive, but instead it gave illusion of smaller and vulnerable body figure, it should be an image that gave you feeling of protectiveness but instead for Jungkook it gave him feeling of home.

The light as background, the Christmas tree, the cold weather and the singing voice in the crowd blended and filled Jungkook’s sense. He became too comfortable. And then when Lee Ji-eun finished her song, she smiled.

That was the time, Jungkook knew he wasn’t crushing on her anymore. He was in much deeper .

***