"Even"

Worst Regret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung smiled triumphantly after putting the screw driver in his jeans' back pocket.

He wiped his hands clean as if it would also clean his conscience. But really, he is the one who started this. Jinyoung is just returning the favor.

 

Mark has been terrorizing him for a long time now. But this week is quite different. He went totally crazy in making the university a hunting ground, where in Jinyoung is his prey.

Jinyoung stood up and admired his handi-work. Yeeeaaaahhh. Perfectly bored holes on each of his precious car tires. You've done well, Park Jinyoung!

As he stood, Jinyoung checked his shirt where there are two big holes right at his armpits. The devil just ruined his p.e. shirt, and the timing is perfect as he was playing volleyball. And Jinyoung just flaunted his armpits (thank God he shaved them) in front of the whole class.

What a jerk!

Jinyoung still wasn't able to get back at him for putting three mice inside his lockers the other day, and now he has done another?! Where's the justice in that?

 

Well, he did try to. While Mark was practicing in the dance room, he left some marbles by the door. But when he asked someone to call Mark out, to Jinyoung's horror, the dance teacher went out instead! And that led him into spending the entire afternoon in detention. And Mark has the courtesy to pay him a minute after minute visit. How he choked the guy in his head.
 

Jinyoung mentally tapped his back before leaving but...
 

 

"Hey-"

Jinyoung felt like he just swallowed his tongue when he saw who he just bumped into.

 

Mark was staring at him as Jinyoung shifted his gaze. The older then looked at his car and it is not long before he figured out what Jinyoung just did. Jinyoung slowly stepped back before taking off in a run.

He heard Mark shouting before he reached the gate.
 

"YAAAAHHH!!! JINYOUNG!!!!! You can run but you cannot escape!!!"
 

**********


 

When will you ever learn? Everytime you try to even the score between the two of you and you fail at your attempt, he gets back at you a thousand times worse.

This is what is running in Jinyoung's head right now.
 

Just a while ago, he arrived at school and someone poured a bucket of COLD water on him. And now he's drenched, looking a lot like a shivering wet chick. Good thing, Jinyoung always has an extra shirt. He checked if it is ruined, thank God it isn't.

 

Lunch time.

No one wants to let Jinyoung sit with them. Gosh, he just wants to eat his lunch but that jerk really knows how to ruin his day. Jinyoung has no choice but to eat in the field. Or else he'll go hungry.
 

As he was walking, Jinyoung went past him who is with his friends and he is smirking at him as if saying he definitely won this round. Well this is his power. He can get everyone to do this to anyone... and it's unlucky for Jinyoung to become the target.

Might as well stop trying to fight back, right Jinyoung?

 

If Mark still hasn't moved on from what Jinyoung did to him two years ago, then he should accept it. He can't expect the older to be okay with it anyway.
 

But then, a ball suddenly hit him in the head. The impact was so strong, Jinyoung felt his world spinning. Right before he passes out, Jinyoung heard someone call out his name.
 

**********


 

Jinyoung is at the center of the crowd.

Everyone is swaying to his favorite song.

 

I found a love for me
Darlin' just dive right in and follow my lead
 

He then appeared looking as dashing as ever. Who knew coat and tie will match with red shorts? What a dork.

 

Mark Tuan.

He liked him ever since. And him returning his feelings is beyond Jinyoung's imagination. Yet it is happening now, Jinyoung tried to swallow back his tears.

 

As he ended singing the song (and he really looked cute doing that, despite the fact that he and singing don't get along well), Mark held his hand and looked at him lovingly.
 

"Can you be my boyfriend?"

A question he's been dreaming Mark will ask. But now, he is dreading to answer. Jinyoung pulled Mark in for a hug as tears finally streamed down his face. "Thank you." It was all he could say. He felt Mark smiling on his shoulders.
 

"But I can't." Jinyoung tried to speak despite of his tears. "I am sorry."

With that, he left. But Mark was quick to follow him.

 

"Jinyoung!" He was surprised by the amount of strength Mark still has as the older grabbed his arm. He tried to avoid those eyes because Jinyoung knows it's his weakness. "Can you... Can you at least tell me why?"

He struggled to speak. Mark is asking for something he cannot give. Jinyoung shook his head as Mark squeezed his hand. "Was it all too sudden? Do you want me to wait a little longer? Aren't you ready yet?"

Mark kept on asking but all Jinyoung could do is look down. "Just let me go, Mark. Please."

That ought to tell him to stop. As Mark gazed at him, Jinyoung once again felt his heart breaking. He wanted to take everything back but he knew better. This needs to stop before it could hurt him even more.

Jinyoung felt how Mark's grip weaken. He is letting go. Just as he asked, right? So he better stop crying.

"Is this what you really want?" No it isn't. But it is what he needs, Jinyoung knows.

When he didn't answer, Mark finally let go of his hand. Mark wiped his tears as he set one final gaze on those deep set brown eyes which were also full of tears.

 

"I love you so much, Jinyoung. But I guess, it just isn't enough."


 

He startled awoke. Jinyoung is now in his room. He sat up and wiped his tears.

He still feels the same. Everytime he dreams about it, or when he remember what happened that day, Jinyoung breaks down into tears.

 

He regrets it.

What he did that day.

What he said to him that day.

. . . . . . and what he has failed to say.
 

He wished he could go back. At least on that day. He wished he could change what happened. What he made happen.

But Jinyoung knows he can't.

 

************

 

Jinyoung is walking lifelessly along the halls. He has finally decided to accept any treatment that Mark will give him. He deserves it anyway. After leaving him like that. After hurting him like that.

But to his surprise, there were no shenanigans.

Unexpectedly, Jinyoung was about to end his day peacefully when this guy approached him and said sorry for the incident yesterday. His eyes followed the guy as he went to someone...

And is he seeing things?

Why did he went to Mark? Jinyoung even saw Mark kick the guy's before meeting his gaze.

 

What was that about?
 

 

"He really went overboard this time!"

Youngjae complained.
 

Jinyoung is working parttime at his family's cafe. He's been here since he was a freshman.

 

He just told the younger about what happened and of course being his bestfriend, Youngjae is on his side. He is whining about how crazy Mark is. All his actions are unjustifiable just by what Jinyoung did to him, Youngjae says.

But after Jinyoung tells him about that last part where he saw the guy approach Mark...
 

"Oohh. That is interesting." Youngjae said, rubbing his chin while watching him making waffles. "I wonder what is that about?"

Jinyoung left him still thinking about it. He needs to work.

 

He was busy brewing coffee when Youngjae tapped his shoulder and pointed to someone. And now Jinyoung is confused.

Why on earth is Mark Tuan here?
 

"Oops! I think I finally have an answer."

The older sat without glancing towards Jinyoung's general direction.

"Looks like someone is missing someone..." Youngjae said in a sing song manner as he made his way to him to take Mark's order.
 

Jinyoung can't help but remember how Mark used to wait for his shift to end so they can finally spend time together. The two of them, driving along the streets, dropping at a drive thru to get some chocolate sundaes and fries...

He shook off his thoughts.

 

"YAH!" He then heard Mark shout. "I am just here to eat. Stop bothering me!"

Jinyoung eyed Youngjae to tell him to leave the temperamental man alone.
 

**********


 

It is already past 10 pm when his shift ended. It was one of those days when the cafe is fully packed with customers. Jinyoung waited for a cab because it is not safe for him to walk alone. Just then, a car stopped in front of him and it is too familiar to him.

The car window opened revealing Mark. "Get in."

What? Is this for real?

Jinyoung just stared at the older until Mark tilted his head, a sign that tells Jinyoung, he is getting annoyed. "You and I both know that your neighborhood is not the safest place to walk in at night, so for the love of God, just get in the car and let me drive you home."
 

 

The ride was painfully quiet.

The drive to Jinyoung's house is twenty minutes only but so far, this is the longest twenty minutes of his life. Jinyoung wishes Mark was playing some music but he isn't. Mark is driving with one hand on the steering wheel, while the other is leaning on the window, playing with his lips...

Jinyoung cursed as Mark caught him looking. Damn, Jinyoung.
 

"Sorry." Am I hearing things? Mark pulled over as they reached his house when the older said this.

Jiny

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter