Final

Monster (Prequel)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Her wide brown eyes just kept on staring at me. Staring and staring. Ever since I had opened up my book and began to read she had watched me closely. I tried to ignore her, but I had to admit it was rather annoying. It wasn't like I was in the middle of something interesting, so why was she so intent on me? And it wasn't like she didn't have anything to play with and amuse herself with.  Her parents had left her with many toys so she wouldn't be bored, but instead of playing with all her new toys, she decided to take it upon herself to keep on looking at me. And it was wearing on my patience.

 

 

I had never before spent much time alone with Wonyoung before, we have been in the same room because we all lived in the same room, but we rarely talked to each other. Or rather I never talked to her. Wonyoung had tried to talk to me a few times when she was younger, and I would answer politely but I never tried to carry on the conversation. It wasn't that I hated her, because I didn't. All I felt for her was just indifference. And if I was being completely honest to myself, I was perhaps slightly jealous of her too.

 

 

When Wonyoung was born her parents were delighted, and Wonyoung had become instantly the apple of their eye. That was all to be expected, she was their daughter after all. Their true daughter, not another person entirely who had they’ve been adopted, her parents found me at their front yard in a one snowy night. I’ve always been reborn for every 100 years without valid reason as to why it happens but my memory ever since I was born just keep accumulating, advantage of being a pure vampire and I stop aging once I reached 15 years of age and that is the age where my vampire instinct starts to act and need to leave this my so called home. That was probably the reason why I felt a bit of jealousy towards Wonyoung. She was happily born as our parent’s daughter, while I was only a fake one. Even though I knew it wasn't actually Wonyoung's fault that things turned out that way, I couldn't help but feeling jealous every now and again.

 

Wonyoung's eyes were still looking up at me, which made me glance up at her to see what exactly she was staring so intently at. Seeing her sitting up on the chair she was seated on was almost comical. The chair was so huge compared to her because she was so tiny it looked as if she was only a small doll that a child had placed there. A ghost of a small smile suddenly came to my face, but it was quickly gone.

 

This wasn't lost on Wonyoung.

"Why did you smile, unnie?" a four-year-old asked, her face tilted slightly.

"I was thinking of something funny," I replied, as I began to read my book again.

 

"What was funny?" Wonyoung said, a small frown appeared on her lips as if she was frustrated at something.

 

"Nothing, Wonyoung."

"Then why did you smile, unnie?"

 

 

I gritted my teeth because I was starting to get a bit frustrated myself and a little more than annoyed at her with her constant questions. I tried to ignore her… unsuccessfully.

 

 

"I never saw unnie smile before," mused Wonyoung to herself. "She's usually so serious. Mommy even said that she only smiled once in her life, but didn't like it, so she never smiled again."

 

 

After a short pause, she started to again. "Unnie, what are you reading?"

I looked up again at her, surprised at the new direction of her thoughts. Wonyoung hated reading, I knew, and she had never inquired about a book in her whole life as far as I could remember.

 

 

"Othello by William Shakespeare," I answered.

 

 

She suddenly smiled, delighted that I was finally answering her back. Her smile lit up her entire face.

 

 

"Is it interesting, unnie?"

 

 

"It's interesting… but I think I prefer King Lear or Macbeth," I said, and then I surprised myself by going on, "It's about a man who is conned into killing his wife."

 

 

"Did the man love his wife?" she asked, her eyes wide with shock or with interest I couldn't tell.

 

"I think he did, the only reason he killed her was because he believed she had been with another man."

 

"But if he really did love her he wouldn't kill her even if. Daddy told me that mommy could desert him and he would still love her," Wonyoung replied, her eyes wide in earnest.

 

"You might be right," I agreed slowly, "but sometimes it can be hard for a man to watch the person he loves walk away from him."

 

"Do you love anyone, unnie?" Wonyoung asked, her face alive with curiosity.

 

 

"I love my family," I answered carefully.

 

 

"Not that sort of love. I mean the love that mommy and daddy have."

 

 

My eyes locked on her for a minute, as I studied her face while I thought over her question. She had a gentle sort of face, I realized, a kind one. I never had looked at Wonyoung like this before. Actually, I never had given her even much thought before.

 

 

"No," I eventually answered.

 

 

After our short conversation, our mom had called Wonyoung of somewhere, and I hadn't seen her since. When Wonyoung eventually came back into the room with them, she didn't talk to me at all. She only chatted to our parents in that cheerful manner that she had. It was hard to believe that even a child could be as happy as Wonyoung. Wonyoung was forever smiling and laughing, and she rarely began

Please log in to read the full chapter