end.

of books and tattoos | pcy

‘Man, I can’t believe Dumbledore died.’

Eunhui had had those words tattooed across her wrist for as long as she could remember, and she couldn’t help feel a stab of annoyance at fate for giving her such odd, incomprehensible words. Whereas all her friends had ‘It’s you…’ or ‘Aren’t you pretty?’ or her personal favourite, belonging to her best friend, ‘Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?’ as the first words they would hear from their soulmates, she instead had the premonition of someone’s death. 

How romantic. 

Since she was young, she had wondered over who Dumbledore was. She’d worried over it endlessly - maybe he (she presumed it was a male, though the name was pretty strange) was a friend she’d make in the future who’d pass away at an early age, and her soulmate happened to be at his funeral. Or maybe Dumbledore was a beloved pet who’d pass away and her soulmate was a random friend of a friend who’d she’d never met prior to her pet’s death. The possibilities were many and Eunhui often worried over them. Over time, she began to grow annoyed at her still-yet-unknown soul mate for causing her such concern and stress. 

And then, in 2004, when Eunhui was 12 and randomly picked a book to read called Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone, she finally understood. 

And suddenly, she was 10 times angrier, at both fate and her soul mate, for giving her such a spoiler. 

As each new book and movie came out, she’d always bite her fingers in terror and apprehension for the moment when Dumbledore inevitably died. Again and again, he would survive until finally, she bought the 6th book when it came out in 2005. Contrary to other readers, who were torn at the great wizard’s death, Eunhui was ecstatic, relieved that she’d never have to worry about it ever again because she knew what happened. 

However, her resentment at her soulmate did not abate. In fact, it only increased because such a great series had been ruined for her because of the stupid words tattooed across her left wrist.

And then in July 2009, the film for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came out. 

Her friends had managed to convince her to watch the very first screening of it in Korea with them. She wasn’t looking forward to it, knowing what happened, but she went anyway. ‘Maybe I’ll meet my soulmate in the cinema or something,’ she mused jokingly to herself as she got dressed for the event. And, spurred by this small, unlikely-but-still-possible chance, she decided to put a bit more effort into her appearance. She even dabbled in some mascara - it wasn’t like she was going to cry at the movie anyway. She’d long been desensitised to it. 

**

The movie was over. It’d been excellent - as expected from a Harry Potter movie - but like she’d expected she had not cried once, unlike her friends who’d gone to the bathroom after sobbing their hearts out during the movie. Waiting outside, her eyes lazily scanned the people leaving the cinema theatre. She wondered if her soul mate was among those people, but no one in particular caught her eye, so she gave up. 

She was just about to reach for her phone when she heard it. 

“Man, I can’t believe Dumbledore died.”

She froze, her head slowly lifting to spot a freakishly tall, broad-shouldered boy with dark hair and ears that reminded her of Yoda. He was walking with a group of boys, presumably his friends, a grin on his face as he took a running jump to try and touch the emergency exit sign on the ceiling. Landing surprisingly gracefully for such a lanky figure, his eyes happened to fall on Eunhui’s frozen figure, tilting his head slightly in confusion as she stared at him. He was handsome, admittedly, but that didn’t stop the sudden sharp, angry annoyance that crashed over her when she saw him. 

“You!” she lifted an arm and shrieked, advancing on him with the most murderous glare she could muster. “It was you!”

The said boy blinked, looking alarmed as she advanced upon him. Subtly, he glanced down at his left wrist and grimaced. “Well, I have to admit that wasn’t how I imagined that being said.”

She stormed up to him. “12 ing years I spent worrying over who the Dumbledore was and then Harry Potter came out and I received the biggest ing spoiler all because of you. Why the couldn’t you have said something else like ‘Oh hello, nice to meet you,’ or ‘Here’s your ing pizza’ or EVEN ‘I LIKED THE ING SOCKS DOBBY MADE FOR HARRY’ you piece of ?!” She was aware that many people, including her douche of a soulmate’s friends were all staring at her like she was a mad woman - which was fair enough, considering she, a 5 foot 3 girl in a summer dress and her hair in a braided bun, was currently screaming absolute nonsense at a man who was a good head and a half taller than her. In any other situation, Eunhui would have probably been mortified, but all the anger and annoyance that had built up over the past 17 years of her life had finally exploded at the sight of her annoyingly handsome soulmate, who was now slowly recovering from his initial surprise, a grin slowly spreading across his annoying face. 

“I even liked the socks Dobby made for Harry?” he repeated, his grin now full-blown. Eunhui, finally realising the situation she was in, blinked and cleared , suddenly horrified. People around them were staring, some even filming. God, she wished she could die on the spot - even with all the scenarios she’d imagined, this was not how she’d been expecting to meet her soulmate. 

“I-I mean, it would have been better than spoiling the entire 6th instalment of the series,” she mumbled, her cheeks flushing red as she took a step back. “…Which I still haven’t forgiven you f-for- Hey, what a-are you doing?”

Her annoyingly handsome soulmate had leaned down, Cheshire grin still in place, until he was Eunhui’s height. She eyed him warily as he laughed. His voice was surprisingly deep - alluringly so, sending shivers down her spine despite herself. 

“So you’re my soulmate, huh? I must say I’m pleasantly surprised. That was not the first meeting I expected,” he chuckled, causing her to flush even further. 

 

“Well if you hadn’t decided to spoil the entire movie for me, then we wouldn’t be in this situation,” she muttered back defensively, still stubborn. He laughed again and straightened, looking down at her with a smile that suddenly took her breath away. 

“Alright. I apologise for unintentionally spoiling the movie for you. Happy?” Eunhui couldn’t have resisted the smile he gave her even if she tried. 

“I guess…” she mumbled, looking away, disgruntled. Why did her soulmate have to end up being annoyingly attractive? 

“So then Soulmate, can I ask for your name? And maybe a number?” The boy grinned, tilting his head in an action that shouldn’t have been hot but certainly was. “I have to make up for all your years of frustration.”

Flushing again, Eunhui fiddled with the hem of her skirt. “U-Uh, I’m Song Eunhui…”

“Nice to finally meet you, Eunhui,” the boy smiled sweetly, holding out a hand to shake. Tentatively, she took it, trying her best to ignore the sparks that shot up her arm at the contact. 

“I’m Park Chanyeol. And I guess we’re soulmates.”


A/N: bc fluffy but hot chanyeol is the best chanyeol.