Final

Fell in Love with My Best Friend
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was already an inevitable fact that Jang Wonyoung's shoe box was always full of letters—sometimes presents—by the time she arrived at school she debuted as a member of Izone and win’s first place in Produce 48.  Wonyoung didn't know who started it, but before she knew it became the official personal mail box for her. It was overwhelming at the start but somewhere along the way she got used to it.

 

Having received tons of letter almost every day made Wonyoung was so sure that she couldn't be surprised by letter anymore. But today she was proved wrong.

 

 

It was the lunch break. She was in the middle of checking the letters she got in the student council room—like she always did—when she read the name written on one of the letters attached with a USB “listen to this please, I recorded it with my own voice”. It was the name she knew so well. Almost too well in fact.

 

 

Ahn Yujin.

 

The handwriting was too familiar that she almost knew that it wasn't another Yena's prank. She immediately straightened up on her seat after she read the name, unconsciously turned her head right and left to make sure she was alone. Fortunately, Nako had some business with Yena so her friend couldn't eat their lunch together this time. Had the other members present, she would easily tell what the blush on her cheeks meant.

 

 

Calm down,  Wonyoung! You can't be so sure it's a lo-love letter!

 

 

After minutes of the attempt to restore her face color to normal, Wonyoung tried to think what was the letter about. She pushed the idea of it being a love letter to the back of her mind and started think of other reasons. She didn't want to admit it but opening the letter fully expecting it being a love letter would be bad for her heart if it, in fact, wasn't one.

 

 

 

Okay, maybe Yujin had some problem that she couldn't say in front of the others. But if that was it, she could always call or message Wonyoung. They were close enough to do that. Or even better, they could meet at a nice cafe, and after the problem was solved, maybe went to a date, with just the two of them…

 

 

 

 Wonyoung slapped her cheeks. No no no no. This isn't the time to daydream!

 

 

She put away other letters and start thinking again. Okay, maybe it was a prank letter and they were betting on me? Nah, that would be too stupid and Wonyoung just couldn't associate that word to Yujin or maybe yes.

 

 

Notes for practices? No, they always talked about it after their last session every week.

 

 

Was it Yujin’s test paper? Maybe she got a bad grade and want to hide it somewhere?  Wonyoung snorted remember a scenario in their reality show that Yena rummage Yujin’s locker and found her low score in Math.

 

 

 Sighing,  Wonyoung took the letter and unsealed it. Just thinking about it wouldn't do her any good and her lunch break was almost finished. She hadn't even touched her lunch. This was better be a real love letter, or she'd sue Yujin for her loss of lunch break.

 

 

As she unfolded the paper inside, she was a bit excited. Okay,  Wonyoung was excited. Or maybe not.  She was so gay excited.

 

 

And this was the first two lines of the letter.

 

Do you remember when I said I’d always be there ever since we were ten baby when we were out on the playground playing pretend didn’t know it back then.

 

Wonyoung stared blankly at the paper right after she finished. God... It was a song's lyric.

 

 

 Wonyoung slammed her head to the table. She was sure it is another prank.

Right after the school ended, Wonyoung didn't waste her time at all and went to Yujin’s class right away. She paid no heed to Nako and Yena's curious gaze and almost ran through the corridor until she saw her handwritten poster about no running in corridors.

 

 

 

"Is Ahn Yujin here?" Standing at the open door,  Wonyoung called out with every dignity she had as the student council president.

 

 

The entire class suddenly went silent as all of them turned their head to the front door. Thanks to that Wonyoung quickly found her. She was in the middle of packing her stuff into her bag, with Chaeyeon and Sakura stood close to her.

 

 

" Wonyoung?"

 

 

"Mr. Kim wants to meet you at the student council room now."

 

 

"Ah, I get it. Thanks” Wonyoung nodded before excuse herself and walked to the student council room. She slid the door open right after she arrived, but she couldn't find Mr. Kim.

 

 

 Wonyoung wasn't surprised though. Of course, because she had lied. It was her who wanted to meet Yujin.

 

 

She slid the door closed, walked to her usual seat, and took Yujin's letter out of her bag. She was already in her seat, staring at the letter when the latter opened the door.

 

 

"Excuse me," Yujun said as she entered the room. She tilted her head in confusion when she saw  Wonyoung instead of Mr. Kim.

 

 

She wanted to ask but  Wonyoung waved the letter that she held to beckon her to stop. "So, care to explain to me why you put this thing in my shoebox?" She put it down before crossed her arms and legs and stared at Yujin, waiting for an answer.

 

 

She walked closer to Wonyoung and take a look at the letter. Realizing it was hers, finally understood.

 

"Because it was for you?" Yujin answered unsurely.

 

 

 Wonyoung tapped her fingers on the table impatiently. "That was all?"

 

 

Yujin shrugged.

 

 

 Wonyoung rolled her head back in frustration. "Oh, geez. I should have just asked Nako."

 

 

Yujin blinked rapidly. "What do you mean?"

 

Wonyoung snickered. "That's my question. You guys with Yena always put a prank and I am the only one who defend you but now you even prank me?"

 

"I'm sorry to break it to you but," Yujin paused a bit, narrowing her eyes, "that letter and the song if for you" Her voice was stern but she couldn't hide the apparent blush on her cheeks.

 

 

"Eh?"

"It's for us. For you and me , have you ever finished reading the letter and listen to my record? Cause if you do , you won’t get mad at me like this, stop assYujinng things."

After saying that, Yujin quickly turned herself and walked to the door.

 

 

"Wait!Yujin! What do you mean?"

 

Yujin stopped right before she slid the door. "You can interpret it as you please," she said, before exiting the room. But right before the door closed, Wonyoung swore she could hear a faint, 'But I was thinking of you when I heard that song.'

 Wonyoung didn't even realize she was stood before her desk. Trying to let all of that sink, she dropped herself to her chair. She repeated Yujin's words once again in her heads.

 

 

'But I was thinking of you when I heard that song.'

 

Then  Wonyoung's eyes caught certain lines on the letter.

 

But I fell in love with my best friend

 

Wonyoung buried her face in her palms. Her face was all red up to her ears.


 

.

.

.

 Wonyoung didn't know how she did it, but somehow she arrived at the school before anyone else did .  It was strange, considering she didn't get any sleep at all the night before. All the blame was on Yujin and her stupid love song.

 

… Love song.

 Wonyoung groaned, cursing herself for her inability to stop the blush that was working its way up to her cheeks and ears. Damn.

 

 

She absentmindedly opened her shoebox while wondering how she should face Yujin today. Okay, technically, nothing happened between them; Yujin gave her a song lyric while slipping out about something, but that was all. There was no confession, no hug, no kiss—as much as she wished it to happen—nothing.

 

 

But that exactly what confused her. Nothing happened, so what it made her and Yujin now?

 

 

The kind of like she had for Yujin was different from the ones she had for the rest of izone members, and she knew it. Yujin, after all, caught her attention since their very meeting as starship trainee. But that was all. As for what she should have to do now, she hadn't even the slightest clue.

 

 

As clever as she was, she was hopeless about romance.

 

 

She could just ask Yujin, of course. But what if the latter actually didn't mean anything? What if i

Please log in to read the full chapter