Chap. 1

Doppelgänger

doppelgänger

/ˈdɒp(ə)lˌɡaŋə,ˈdɒp(ə)lˌɡɛŋə/

noun

  1. an apparition or double of a living person.

For as long as I could remember my life had always been normal, sure my life had its own ups and downs, but that’s just how it works. That’s why it’s called the cycle of life.

 

 

All throughout my life I’ve never actually been alone, I always have someone to accompany me and that person is my best friend and soulmate. Bae Joohyun. 

 

 

She’s been there from the beginning. We’ve known each other since we were still in our diapers. Our parents were neighbors so its natural for me to be friends with her.

 

 

We were enrolled in the same school too. I remember in kindergarten there was this boy that always and destroy her block building. My blood was boiling at the time and all I can think of is punching him in his big- forehead. 

 

 

But I didn’t, instead I just tie his shoelaces together the moment he lets his guard down. I remember him falling just like the block building. I feel so satisfied when he cried, and before you judged me for going too far, you should’ve seen Joohyun’s face when he destroyed her buildings.

 

 

She was devastated. Her eyes welled up with unsheded tears. Her cheeks were red and puffed up. If it wasn’t because I was angry at that forehead, I would’ve cooed and squished her cheeks because how cute she looks.

 

 

After that incident, Joohyun looked at me in admiration— like I’m sort of a hero. But the other looked at me in fear and no one ever mess with Joohyun ever again. I was dubbed the “Laces” It used to sound a pretty cool name for me but now it just sounded like I’m a ert who steals lacy underwear . I was basically the second most feared girl after a girl who was dubbed the “Cooties” . I’m actually a bit scared of her too.

 

 

In middle school we were still close with each other. Joohyun and I were always attached at the hip. Even though, we had different circle group of friends, my relationship with her always remain close. You see, Joohyun had never been a social butterfly. She’s too shy and because of that, she doesn’t really have that many friends. She was always the type to listen than talk, observe than experience.

 

 

I think the moment we start drifting away from each other is in 10th grade. That’s when it all happen, the arguments, the accident, and her. My doppelgänger.

 

 

        Can you fulfill my wish? 

                       I just want to be you.

                                    I want to be normal.