"Lee Taeyong"

My first word is your name.

 

It was just a normal morning that day as I start my day with my mum running back and forth to the kitchen and living room, make sure my little brother had his breakfast before he went to his playschool and daddy is already outside, waiting for Jaemin.

“Hana, make sure to lock all the doors and only opens it when Ms Yo Won came okay?” My mum left the same message and later, she’s out from my sight.

I sat quietly in the kitchen while eating my breakfast and another hand, I was busy scrolling down my Twitter. A few moments later, there is a knock on the door. I knew who it’s going to be. Running towards the door, I greeted the middle age woman with a big smile. It’s my caretaker, Ms Yo Won. She gave me a hug and I love her hugs!

“How are you today Hana? Have you had your breakfast?” She asked as she put all her bags on the couch. I followed her closely from behind.

“So, what are you going to do today Hana? Shall we learn how to knit? Winter is just around the corner.”
I nodded with a smile. Later, Ms Yo Won brought me to the couch and took out his knitting kit. Being around Ms Yo Won makes me happy and I don’t mind if I don’t have any friends. She told me stories about her little family, she has 4 children and 3 grandchildren.

Later in the day, I started my online class. I have been taking online classes for months now, and, I have a friend.

“Hana, what do you want for lunch?” Ms Yo Won asked when it was about lunchtime. Jaemin is coming home soon and my peaceful day would be robbed by him. I took a piece of paper on the fridge and scribbled something that I wanted to eat for lunch and passed it to Ms Yo Won.

She gave me a motherly smile. “So you wanted tofu stew huh? I’ll make it less spicy so Jaemin can enjoy it too.” While waiting for Jaemin to come home and Ms Yo Won is still cooking, I scrolled down my plain Instagram account. I would smile at corny jokes and I would cry when I’m watching dramas with Ms Yo Won or with my mum.
“Hana, do you want to accompany me to the mart later? I need to buy groceries.” Ms Yo Won asked and of course, I wouldn’t say no to her. I rarely go out because home is my comfort zone. My own bubble that is very fragile.

A honk was heard and I could hear Jaemin’s squealing. I jumped out from the chair and opened the door. He gave me a big hug and I patted his head. We are 16 years apart, so I tried my best to look after him like a normal sister. I brought him to the kitchen and gave him his favourite yoghurt drink.

“Are you having fun at school?” Ms Yo Won asked and I patiently waiting for his answer.

“Extremely fun! One of my friend’s sister came and read us storybook!” I smiled bitterly and patted his head.
How I wish I could do that for him.
How I wish I could talk to him personally.

I took a piece of paper and scribbled on it. ‘What did you eat today?’ I passed the paper to him.

Jaemin smiled. “Kimbap! My teacher made it!”

“Lunch is ready kids! Let’s eat!”

As promised, we went to the mart after lunch. I wanted to have an ice cream at the parlour but Jaemin was sleepy and we needed to head home before he starts to throw tantrums.

“It looks like you going to have a new neighbour.” With that remark from Ms Yo Won, I quickly turned around and saw 3 vans and bunch of guys. I just want to get into my house quickly but we stopped when one of them ran up to us to say hi.

“Hello, Ms We are going to be your new neighbour! I’m Doyoung and the rest are my friends.” The bright boy happily greeted us. I hid behind Ms Yo Won because I just hated meeting people.

I mean, strangers.

“You are so cheerful, young man. Good to have a new neighbour. Oh, I’m Ms Yo Won. I take care of these two who live next door. Feel free to visit them if you have time.”

“Hey, can I be your friend?” Jaemin asked as he tucked that guy’s shirt. He smiled as he bent down to talk to Jaemin.

“Sure. Why not? What is your name little boy?”

“Jaemin. Do Jaemin.”

“I have a friend called Jaemin too. I will introduce you two later, okay?”

“Jaemin, he is older than you. You should call him hyung.”

“Ops. I’m sorry. I will call you hyung.”

Oh God, I just want to go inside now. I don’t want to engage in this friendly situation. I tucked Ms Yo Won’s shirt and she understood immediately that I wanted to go inside. So, we excused ourselves and went inside.

“Are you shy of the new neighbour?” Ms Yo Won asked.

I shook my head.

“Hyung has a lot of friends. I’m going to have so many friends!” Jaemin looks excited and I don’t.

“Maybe you should make friends with them. That Doyoung guy looks fine to me.”

***

Later that night, Jaemin told mummy and daddy about the new neighbour and they are thrilled to meet them. I just played with my food and stay silent like I always did.

After dinner, I went up to my room and blast my favourite song on the speaker. I took my current book and sat by the window. The cold breeze of the night touched my skin.
I was about to enjoy my night routine but was badly distracted by the noise from next door. I put my book away and peeked out from the window.

The boys are having a BBQ party in their yard and some of them are dancing weirdly.

“Hey! Do you want to join us?” Someone called out and I knew he must be calling me. I quickly back off from the window and closed the curtain.

“Hey, Doyoung, do you know the girl’s name? I have been watching her since this evening.” Taeyong asked.

Doyoung took a piece of meat from Yuta’s plate. “I don’t know. I don’t talk to her. I just know her little brother’s name. Do Jaemin.”

“You called me?” Jaemin asked.

“Not Na Jaemin. Do Jaemin.” Doyoung replied.

“Can you ask her name for me?” Taeyong’s question makes everyone shook.

“You can’t be serious,” Johnny said.

“Did we share the same mouth?” Doyoung replied.

***

Another day with the same routine. But, the knock on the door was different and it came earlier than it supposed to. Did Ms Yo Won come earlier today?

“Hi.” A short greeting that makes my inner self-screams to hide. I wanted to close the door but I don’t know why my hands are not cooperating.

I did not say anything.

“My… my friend bakes this. We have left over, so, I thought it would be great to share it with you. I mean, you and your family.” He was shuttering. Weird. Cute.

Okay, Do Hana, I need to keep my sense together.

Should I take the cake or not?

“Don’t worry, we did not put anything weird inside. I don’t know what flavour do you like but we can never go wrong with vanilla sponge cake, right?”

Silent.

“I’m Taeyong. Lee Taeyong.”

I’m Do Hana. Nice meeting you, a new neighbour.
Those words that have been left unspoken in me for years now.

“Hello there. Are you Doyoung’s friend?” As usual, Ms Yo Won saved the day!.

The boy bowed to Ms Yo Won. “Hi, I’m Taeyong. Are you Jaemin’s mother?”

Ms Yo Won laughed and surprisingly, I did too.

“I’m just their caretaker, young boy.”

He laughed at his false assumption. “Here is something for you. I don’t know if it is tasty or not but it is edible.”

“That’s very nice of you young man. Thank you.” Ms Yo Won took the cake and I quickly ran up to my room.

“Her name is Hana. She’s a nice kid. But she’s mute. I hope you boys don’t take heart with her cold attitude.”

“Uh? No… no worries. I’ll let the kids know. I’ll see you around Ms Yo Won.”

I heard the door closed and I went down. Ms Yo Won placed the cake on the table. “I told him your name.”

I swear I was about to choke when she told me that she told him my name!

“Well, he seems like a nice kid.”
Yeah, right. She did tell me the same thing yesterday.

“I will cook something fancy today for lunch. Is that okay with you honey?”

A nod from me, and I am upstairs in my room with the cake.

***

“Where did you go bro?” Ten asked when Taeyong went inside the house with a big smile on his face.

“Hana.”

Ten looks confused. “What?”

“Her name is Hana. Do Hana.”

“Who the hell would bake cake early in the morning?” Yuta nagged when he saw the kitchen was in a big mess. Taeyong immediately leaves the mess there as he needed to go to Hana’s house this morning.

“I’ll clean it up.” He yelled back.

Suddenly, the bell rings, and all of them were confused.

“Did any of us orders pizza or what?”

“Hyung! Jaemin is here!”

***

After Ms Yo Won has prepared lunch for us, she called me and I ran down the stairs. I saw her packed some of the food.

Are you going to bring home the food? I passed the paper to her.

“No, these are for the boys. Can you help to send it to them?”

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

There is no way in the world that I would go and send it to them! I immediately shook my head in protest.

“You can bring Jaemin.”

Still, bringing that little boy won’t help anything.

“Are those for the hyung?” Jaemin asked when he walked in the kitchen.

“Yes. Can you do me a favour?”

“What is that?”

“Send these to them?”

Oh no.

“Okay! Can I stay with them for a while?” Jaemin asked for Ms Yo Won’s permission.

Hell, no! If he stays, it means I have to stay! No, Do Jaemin.

“Sure. But be home before 6PM. Promise?”

Okay, that’s it. I’m not going.

“Hana, let’s go!” Jaemin dragged my hand while another hand he held the food container.

He rings the bell and waited patiently for the boys to get the door. I just hope that they won’t open the door.

“Hyung! Jaemin is here!” 

A few seconds later, there are 4 of them in front of the door and I just want to hide. Taeyong is in between of them and he smiled brightly.

“Hyung, Ms Yo Won gave this to you,” Jaemin said as he passed the food container to one of the boys.

“Hyung, can I play with you today? I’m bored.”

There you go, Do Hana.

Thanks, DO Jaemin for ruining my life.

“Yeah, sure. Come in.”

Within seconds, the boys brought Jaemin inside and I’m still standing outside with Taeyong. What should I do?

I did not bring my notebook…

How should I communicate with him?

“I… I’ll take care of him. Don’t worry.”

I nodded once.

“When should I send him home?”

I showed him number 6 with my hands. He understood.

There was a long silence in between before he asked: “Do you want to come in?”

Ur, excuse me. I don’t want. I just want to go home now. Please take care of Jaemin and thank you for the cake.

I shook my head and immediately ran home. I ran for my life.

***

The clock on my table showed 5:57PM and I don’t know why I am anxiously waiting for him.

I mean, for Jaemin.

5:58PM and the door squeaked open. I quickly ran downstairs and I saw Jaemin was in his arm. He must be asleep. Ms Yo Won took Jaemin and brought him to his room. Taeyong was still there because he saw me walking towards him.

I gave him a paper and closed the door.

Oh God, my heart feels weird.

***

After he had sent Jaemin home, he went home with a piece of paper in his hand. He quickly ran to his room and opened the paper he received earlier.

Thank you for the cake and for taking care of Jaemin. I cannot talk so, don’t get offence if I don’t reply you.

                                                     Hana.

Little that he realized that he has been smiling for a while now. He quickly walked towards his window and he saw Hana was standing there. He waved and soon, Hana disappeared.

***

Oh, God! He read the note!

I can feel my face is all hot and probably red by now! I need to calm down!.

***

“Hana, mummy and daddy need to go back to Daegu tonight. Your aunty is very sick and your grandmother wants to see her. Do you mind if I leave Jaemin behind?” Mummy asked while she’s packing her clothes.

It’s okay. I will take care of Jaemin. Take care and send my regards to them.

“Thank you so much dear! Ms Yo Won won’t be around too. So, please, if anything happened please asked help from the boys.”

Uh? We will be good on our own mum.

Mummy and daddy left that night to Daegu and Jaemin slept with me. After I have tucked him to bed, I took my current book and sat by the window. And again, I was distracted. Not by any noise. But by a figure.

Lee Taeyong.
He was standing by his window.

Hi.

He… Did he know sign language?

I learn sign language a few weeks ago.

My curiosity won this time. I replied; That’s great. Why?

To talk to you.

I swear my heart is crazy! It’s beating faster by seconds!

“Hana…” Jaemin mumbled in his sleep.

I have to go. Jaemin is having a bad dream.

I closed the curtain right away and climbed on my bed. Okay, what was that?
This is not something weird thing, right? Not the L word right?

***

The next morning, I cook breakfast for the two of us and I told Jaemin to play on his own as I need to do the house chores too. It is not easy to do the house chores while having Jaemin around.

I was in the backyard to hang the washed clothes when suddenly the house was silent. Maybe he was watching a cartoon.

Jaemin was oddly silent today. I don’t know it is a good thing or not. Thank God he is behaving himself, I managed to cook lunch for us. I look for him in the hall, he was not there.

Where else could he be? He was nowhere to be seen in his room, my room and not even in mum and dad’s room. Is he outside?

Okay, this is bad. He’s not around.

I can’t tell mum and dad that Jaemin has gone missing! They are going to kill me! I can’t call the police because… I’m mute. Last option, the boys. I just hope he’s with them!

With tears filled my eyes, I ran to the boy’s house and knocked on their door.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Taeyong asked when he saw me panicked.

I tried to speak but, I can’t!

Jaemin is missing.

“Huh? How? When?”

I don’t know! I was at the back and when I wanted to call him for lunch he was not around! I’ve looked everywhere!

“Okay, calm down Hana. I’ll help you. We will go to his playschool and playground okay?”

That evening, we spent the whole evening looking for Jaemin at his playschool and around the neighbourhood. Oh God, please let him be safe!

The sun almost set and we haven’t found Jaemin. I’m tired from running around and crying the whole day!

“Do Jaemin!” Taeyong yelled as he dragged me to an ice cream shop.

Jaemin was there! With his Marvel figurines.

I was a relief to see him safe and sound! I hugged him and he looks confused. “Hana, why are you crying? Did Taeyong hyung hurts you?”

Silly boy! I cried because of you!

“Where have you been Jaemin?” Taeyong asked.

“I went to my friend’s house because you were not around this morning. Then I wanted some ice cream.”

I laughed.

Taeyong laughed.

“Have you paid for the ice cream?”

Jaemin shook his head.

I thought so! This little brat! I was about to go inside and pay for the ice cream but Taeyong held my hand.

“I’ll pay. Do you want anything?”

I shook my head.

“Hana likes chocolate mint ice cream,” Jaemin told him.

“I’ll take note on that.”

Later, he came back with a cone of chocolate mint ice cream. “Here’s your ice cream.”

Thank you.

Don’t mention.

“I really should learn the sign language. I want to know what are the two of you has been talking about!”

Taeyong patted Jaemin’s head. “You should.”

We walked home and he sent us to the front door.

Good night.

You too. I’ll see you tomorrow.

***

 

Weeks have passed and surprisingly, the two of us has gotten very close. He would come over to our house.
To play with Jaemin, of course.
Little that I realized, I have opened the bubble for him to come in. And he did. We learnt about each other a lot.

The things that he hated…

The things that he loves the most

And I just learnt that he’s an idol.

Okay, what else Lee Taeyong? You are like a Pandora box!

And, today, we went out for a movie. Just the two of us. I believe this is not a date. Just hanging out. Of course, after the movie, we went home. He has a schedule at 7 AM.

“Do you have something bothering you?” He asked.

Nothing. Why?

“You look different today.”

I smiled.

Well, I wanted to tell him something. After years, debating with my parents if I should do surgery for my voice, I decided to do it now. I need to find my own voice. Because now, I have a purpose.

We arrived in front of my house earlier than I expected.

“Good night Hana. Kiss Jaemin for me.”

Okay. Sleep well and don’t forget that you have a schedule tomorrow!

He laughed. “I won’t. My managers will pick us up tomorrow. Can I see you tomorrow after I have finished my schedule?”

But I’m going away from you tomorrow.
I smiled.
He drove to his house when I was already inside my house.

Mummy was still busy packing my clothes for tomorrow.

“Are you excited honey?”

I did not tell him.

“Why?”

And I let it be unanswered.

***

Taeyong’s POV

Right after we have finished our schedule for that day, it was already 3 AM and I already texted Hana that I’m not going to make it today. But I need to see her tomorrow. Seeing Hana is like my remedy.

“Hey Taeyong, this is the thing that you bought online. I have collected them all from the office.” My manager told me as he handed me a bunch of parcels. But right now, I wanted a specific parcel.

“Thanks, hyung.”

The next day, I woke up earlier than usual and ready to see Hana again. I went to her house but it seems empty. Mr Do would be around at this hour but today, the cars are not around and the house seems empty for some reason. I knocked once again. No response.

I texted Hana, but it was not being read.

I was angry, worried, depressed for the rest of the month. One day, Ms Yo Won came to their house and I immediately ran over to their house.

“Ms Yo Won!”

“Oh, Taeyong.”

“May I know where is Hana?”

Ms Yo Won looks confused. “Did she not tell you that she went to the States?”

Oh, God.

“What happened? Is she alright?”

“Taeyong, you don’t know?”

***

Years later;
The United States, LA.

“Hana! Hurry up! We need to be there early or else we won’t get the best seat!” Jaemin yelled from downstairs. I put on my last piece of clothing on and quickly ran down the stairs.

“Hana don’t run!” Mummy yelled back.

“Drive safe girl. Have fun children!” Daddy said as he gave me his car key and we drove to the concert venue.

“Hana, can we stop at the shop around the corner? I need to get something.” And I did as I was told.

We managed to be there just in time. I parked the car and ran after Jaemin. As I was running, I accidentally bumped into someone and nearly fell down, but thank God, he caught me by my arms.

“I’m so sorry”

This voice.

I looked up immediately.

I swear my heart stopped that moment.

“Lee Taeyong.”
Those words that I have been waiting to utter. I said it out loud today.

***

Hey peeps! It has been a longggg time. 

A short story from me because I feel like I need to put up something. 

I'm open for any comments and whatnot. 

xx

If any of you wants to do a poster for this, just comment down below or slide into my DM. I'll credit you of course!