hope is a dream that doesn't sleep

hope is a dream that doesn't sleep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A soulmate is the person with whom one is destined to love. Soulmates are two halves of a whole, perfect for one another. The discovery of one’s soulmate is characterised by the feeling of time stilling as one meets the eyes of their soulmate for the first time. There is a distinct feeling of warmth that comes along with the discovery and the overall sense of completeness. It is said one will ‘just know’ when one meets the eyes of their soulmate.

 

Despite the fact that soulmates are meant to be together, in today’s society only around 50% of the population actually find their other half. Of that 50%, the large majority will meet their soulmate before the age of 25. Hence, there has been a large increase over the years with people settling down with others that are not their soulmate.

 

After all, who wants to wait their whole life for someone who may never show up?

 

-

 

No matter how many people Jongin dated, no matter how many people he saw; none of them felt right. None of them was his soulmate.

 

In this world where soulmates used to define society, now only around half the population actually found their true soulmate. People settled happily if they found their soulmate or a significant other that made their heart race just the same. However, for Jongin, he knew, nobody would ever be able to make his heart race like his soulmate would.

 

There was a boy, once. Sehun was his name. Jongin met him in the last year of high school and they dated for most of their university years. For three years, that was Jongin’s longest lasting relationship. They got along very well, almost like two halves. Almost. In the end, Sehun left because he had found his soulmate. Jongin wasn’t upset. In fact, Jongin had sent Sehun off with a wide smile and genuine wishes for his happiness. Jongin knew they weren’t going to last forever. Despite how well the two of them clicked, there had always been a feeling of incompleteness in the back of Jongin’s heart.

 

Jongin wanted his soulmate. He didn’t want to settle for less.

 

Yet as the years passed by, Jongin found his conviction chip away. His life was a routine of going to work and returning home to an empty apartment. Always empty. On his good days, Jongin grinned and enjoyed the freedom that the single life offered. On his bad days, Jongin would feel his heart squeeze and he would fall asleep with wet cheeks. Like anyone else, Jongin wanted to love. He wanted someone he could pour his love on, and he wanted someone who would do the same for him.

 

-

 

The bell tinkled as the door opened and a man with honey coloured hair slipped inside. He looked around before lighting up once he spotted his friend. He made his way to the table where his friend was sitting and plopped into the empty chair with a smile.

 

“Hey Jongin.”

 

Jongin looks up from where he was playing with his phone, a smile forming in return.

 

“Baekhyun! We finally get a chance to meet up, how have you been?”

 

“Just caught up with life I guess.” Baekhyun responds with a chuckle.

 

“Yeah, I know the feeling.”

 

After exchanging some more pleasantries, Jongin and Baekhyun order some coffee to start talking about the things that really matter. They’ve been friends since university, having studied the same major, but when they both started working and pursuing their own dreams it had become harder and harder to find time to meet up. When they did catch up though, it was like time hadn’t even passed and the two of them easily fell back into their comfortable friendship.

 

Jongin told Baekhyun about his new workplace and complained about the antics of his bubbly colleagues while Baekhyun described the sights and smells from his recent trip abroad. Jongin was excited to hear it and Baekhyun eagerly showed him the photos and videos he had taken. Scrolling through his gallery, Baekhyun recounted the little stories behind the photos. Amidst his storytelling Baekhyun stopped on a photo; a selca of him and another man.

 

The man had black hair cut short and close to his head, gorgeous round eyes and an adorable heart-shaped smile.

 

Jongin’s soul might’ve ascended to another plane for a few seconds. Composing himself internally, Jongin points the man out and asks Baekhyun casually.

 

“Who’s that?

 

Baekhyun smiles and answers eagerly. “That’s my best friend, Do Kyungsoo.”

 

He pauses slightly before continuing. “I actually invited him to come with me today but he’s busy. I wanted to introduce you two because I think you guys would get along well.”

 

“Ah,” Jongin nods in understanding. “There’s always next time.”

 

-

 

By the time he was twenty-seven and without a significant other in sight, Jongin’s parents became impatient. They got on his back about finding someone to settle down with. They set him up on blind dates which Jongin obediently went to before deciding it was a waste of time. It didn’t matter how attractive his date was or how many qualifications they had because it would never be enough for Jongin. Not when he knew there was someone out there who was perfect for him.

 

Jongin talked to his parents. He tried to make them understand. They, out of everyone, should be able to understand. After all, Jongin’s parents were soulmates, one of the lucky pairs who found each other early on. And maybe that’s why Jongin had grown up with the unshakable need to find his soulmate too.

 

Eventually Jongin’s parents relented, his mother sighing sadly and his father telling him that soulmates weren’t everything. He was already twenty-seven, a third of his life had passed, and he still hasn't found his soulmate. Maybe he couldn’t find his full happiness, but even a little bit was better than nothing right?

 

Then, as if life had taken pity on Jongin, he met a man by the name of Chanyeol. Although Chanyeol wasn’t Jongin’s soulmate, he was like Sehun - an almost half. The two of them made each other happy enough. They could spend entire mornings or afternoons just enjoying each other’s presence without the need to fill up the silence. Jongin could forget about the fact that he had an unfound soulmate and have genuine smiles stretch across his face. They understood each other’s pain and longing, both yearning for the miracle that was their soulmate yet not being able to attain it. Due to that, Jongin and Chanyeol made a deal with each other. If after one year, neither of them had found their soulmates and they were still together, then they would settle down. For their family and friends’ sake and for their own.

 

And so that is how, one year later, Jongin found himself, finally, at his wedding.

 

-

 

“Remind me again why I’m here at a wedding of two people I don’t even know?”

 

Kyungsoo’s voice is laced with genuine curiosity and a teasing edge as he exits his friend’s car. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and slams the driver’s door shut. Over the top of his car he eyes Kyungsoo in exasperation.

 

“Because I need a date but I’m as single as a pringle. Happy?”

 

Kyungsoo giggles and half skips to Baekhyun’s side. Holding out his arm, Kyungsoo grins at Baekhyun. “Your handsome date is at your service.”

 

“You did not just call yourself handsome.” Baekhyun says as he gives Kyungsoo a judging stare and takes his arm.

 

Kyungsoo only shrugs and sticks his tongue out as he pulls Baekhyun along. “Hurry up or we’re going to be late.”

 

The wedding was being held at a quiet place on the outskirts of town. The reception was going to be inside a large homey looking cottage while the ceremony was taking place in the peaceful back garden. Baekhyun stops every so often to greet friends and acquaintances while Kyungsoo smiles politely by his side. The only person Kyungsoo knew at this wedding was Baekhyun and while Kyungsoo wasn’t anti-social by any measure, he also didn’t feel comfortable in a crowd of strangers. He definitely wouldn’t be here if Baekhyun wasn’t his best friend.

 

As they walk around the side of the cottage and deeper into the gardens, Kyungsoo’s eyes sweep past the lush green flora and richly colouredl decorations. He smiles as he gazes at the tall trees framing the garden and orange flowers peeking from bushes splattered around. White folding chairs tied with thick royal blue ribbons were placed in rows and separated into two blocks. Down the middle deep blue carpet covered with white rose petals paved the path to a white rectangular shaped arch. On either side of the arch, heavy white decorated pillars stood carrying royal blue and white flowers. Overall, the beautiful blue and white theme along with the forest green made for a magical and romantic atmosphere.

 

The chairs were mostly full as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun stopped inside the garden, leaving them to stand on the grass at the back with the other half of the guests. Baekhyun pulled them into the middle of the crowd, behind the left block of cha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter