How To Say You In Flowers

How To Say You In Flowers

I.


Seulgi  Kang wasn’t prepared. Not by a long shot. She opened up the shop early that morning, expecting for it to be a slow day. There wasn’t any major holidays coming up. Valentine’s Day was a month ago. No one sent flowers for St. Patrick's Day. Seulgi figured she might get the odd husband getting flowers for an anniversary or someone getting flowers for someone’s birthday. But it was going to be a generally boring day.


The blonde sat behind the counter, absentmindedly stared out the window of the front of her shop, watching people walk by. And then she saw her. Seulgi’s attention was drawn to a light haired woman with a scowl on her face, crossing the street to the side her shop was on. The blonde didn’t know what exactly had caught her attention. Maybe it was an air of confidence that Seulgi could see with every step. Maybe it was the woman’s flawless face, despite the scowl that was present. Seulgi could just about make out light colored eyes paired with the light brown hair.


Seulgi didn’t expect the woman to walk into her shop. But she did. The bell above the door rang and the woman walked towards the counter, approaching Seulgi. The young woman straightened her back slightly, watching the dark haired beauty approach her. She set a black AmEx credit card on the counter. And Seulgi wasn’t quite prepared for the words that came out of .

“How do I passive-aggressively say you in flowers?”

Seulgi furrowed her brow, leaning her head to the side in confusion. Though Seulgi had to admit, the expletive that dripped from the woman’s mouth couldn’t have sounded ier.
“I.. uhm. Excuse me?” Seulgi asked, still a little confused. The woman, who must have realized what she had actually said, sighed. Her tense shoulders relaxing a little bit as she looked Seulgi in the eye. Seulgi couldn’t help but notice the shade of milky brown that she was looking at. Quite remarkable really. Beautiful if Seulgi was being honest with herself.

 

“I’m sorry. That came out wrong,” the woman said. Seulgi shook her head.


“No, no. You’re fine. I just....” Seulgi trailed off, trying to come up with the right words. “I wasn’t exactly sure if I had heard you right. It isn’t every day that someone comes in with a request like that.” Seulgi replied a little sheepishly. The woman nodded.
 

“I’m sure. It’s a long story really.” The woman groaned. Seulgi could tell that the lady standing opposite her had a lot on her mind. And Seulgi, being the caring ray of sunshine she was, nodded to one of the stools.
 

“I’ve got time. That is, if you want.” Seulgi said with a shrug. She wasn’t expecting the woman to take her up on the offer. After all, who would want to confide something that sounded pretty personal to a total stranger that you had just met? But to Seulgi’s surprise, the woman took a seat, placing her elbows on the counter. Seulgi smiled encouragingly.
“Well, I own a small tech startup, B-Corp, maybe you’ve heard of it?” The woman asked.

Seulgi’s jaw almost dropped. Irene Bae. Irene Bae was the one sitting across from her. “I’m going to assume by the look on your face you have.” The woman who she now knew as Irene said, a hint of amusement in her voice. Seulgi nodded wordlessly.
 

“My best friend Yeri loves you.” Seulgi blurted out, blushing a little bit. “I mean, she’s kind of a tech nerd and she’s been raving about B-Corp’s new microprocessors. She says they’re going to revolutionize the computing industry.” Irene smiled.
 

“Sounds like your friend knows a thing or two…” Irene trailed off, looking at Seulgi for a name. “Oh! Seulgi. Seulgi Kang.” She said brightly, offering the woman a hand. Irene nodded, shaking Seulgi’s hand.

“Well, Miss. Kang…” Seulgi cut her off. “Please, call me Seulgi.” She said with a smile. Irene grinned back.
“Then I insist you call me Irene.” Seulgi blushed a little bit, but nodded shyly. Irene chuckled a little bit, obviously aware of the effect she was having on the blonde, but continued with her story.

“Well, one of my potential investors keep stalling on committing to one of our new projects. I need to speed him along a little bit, but can’t really afford to call him out so publicly.” Irene laments. “I figured a nice passive-aggressive bouquet of flowers would do the trick.” Seulgi laughed a little bit. “Well, that certainly is an odd occasion for sending flowers, but I think I can help you!” Irene’s face lit up.


“So you’ll help me?” Irene asked and Seulgi nodded. “Of course! That’s my job.” Seulgi stood up, motioning for Irene to follow her. The woman stood
up as well, shadowing Seulgi around the shop as the blonde picked out a few flowers that she thought would help get Irene’s point across.

 

“So first off a couple of Horseshoe Geraniums. Symbolic of stupidity or folly.” Seulgi said with a shrug. Her companion chuckled a little bit but nodded in understanding. “Foxglove for insecurity.” She followed, grabbing a couple. This time, Irene let out quite the laugh.
 

“I think you’ve already got this investor down pat, Seulgi.” The blonde smiled, admiring the way her name fell from Irene’s lips. She found herself almost shaking her head, trying to get her mind off of inappropriate thoughts of someone she hardly knew. “Hey! I’m just good. It’s my superpower, finding flowers for all the right circumstances.” Seulgi smiled. Irene nodded. “I’ll have to keep that in mind.” She said. Seulgi wasn’t exactly sure what Irene had meant by that but brushed it off.
 

“So, next we have meadowsweet for uselessness. I think these yellow carnations are really going to bring it all together, though.” Irene raised an eyebrow.
“And their meaning?” She question. Seulgi’s eyes sparkled mischievously. “Disappointment. Sometimes rejection or disdain.” Irene snorted and Seulgi wasn’t sure she had ever heard a cuter sound in her life.
“I think you’re right on that one. I’ll have to remember that, in case I ever get these sent to my desk.” Irene said thoughtfully.

 

“Pfft. I don’t think you need to worry about that.” A look of vulnerability flashed through Irene’s gaze but was gone as fast as it had appeared.

“Anyways, last but certainly not least, orange lilies. Hatred or dislike.” Seulgi said, gathering up all the flowers and setting them carefully on the counter. Irene followed the shopkeeper, settling back on the stool she had been sitting on a few minutes ago.

“You know, if I hadn’t just heard all those meaning of these flowers, I would have thought that this bouquet was quite beautiful in its meaning,” Irene said, resting her head on her hand. Seulgi giggled.
“I mean, the bouquet itself is quite beautiful, though if you wanted a passive aggressive way to tell off your investor, then this is the one!” Seulgi said cheerfully, reaching under the counter for an appropriately sized vase, proceeding to arrange the flowers nicely. “Thank you. For the help Seulgi.” Irene said sincerely. Seulgi just brushed it off.

 

“It was no problem! It’s not every day that I get to make an arrangement that means anything else besides happy birthday, I love you, or whatever holiday it is. So the pleasure is all mine.” Irene nodded. Seulgi could see that she was thinking about asking something else, but didn’t push. “So the flowers will be $50.” Seulgi said after she finished arranging them. Irene just slid the black credit card towards Seulgi, who proceeded to ring up the charge. Seulgi handed the card back to Irene, their hands brushing against each other momentarily. Seulgi felt something akin to an electric shock run up her arm and down her spine. If Irene felt it too, she didn’t let on. Though she did ask one more thing as she picked up her purchase.
 

“Out of curiosity, if I wanted to ask someone I hardly knew out on a date, what kind of flower would I use?” Seulgi’s heart sank a little bit. Of course someone as beautiful as Irene Bae would be interested in someone. Seulgi knew that she shouldn’t feel down, she was just Seulgi Kang, flower shop owner.
 

“I guess a rose would be the typical way to do that. But I think roses are a little overdone except for certain special occasions. I’d either go with their favorite flower if you know. Or maybe a pink camellia which can represent longing.” Seulgi tried to think a bit harder. “Oh! Or maybe a white violet, if you can find one. It can represent taking a chance on love.” Seulgi said, deciding if she wanted to continue her thought. “Those are my favorite for an occasion like that.” She said quietly, though Irene nodded thoughtfully.
 

“Thank you for the help Seulgi.” She said with a small smile. Seulgi nodded as she watched Irene Bae turn around and walk out of her shop.


 

 


II.


It had been a couple of days since their encounter and Seulgi couldn’t seem to get Irene Bae out of her mind. She knew it was silly. It was a silly little crush she had on someone. She’d get over it. She had to really. Irene was obviously interested in someone else. Seulgi’s days had been pretty busy all things considering. Apparently a lot of people had gotten married in March for some reason.
 

But it was near closing time and Seulgi decided to close up a little early that day, not really feeling up to staying late. So she turned the sign to closed and began watering some of the flowers that needed it. She had only just started when she heard a light knock at the door. She was about to turn around and tell whoever it was that she was closed for the evening, but the words stuck in when she saw Irene Bae. She set down her watering can and went to open the door.
 

“Irene!” Seulgi said, not hiding the surprise in her voice. “Surprise visit?” Irene shrugged. Seulgi noticed that she had one hand behind her back, but didn’t really give it much thought. “The flowers work out okay?” Irene nodded.
 

“I don’t know if he knew the meaning, but the investor finally committed to the project, so I’m assuming they did the trick.” She said with a smile. Seulgi’s face lit up.
“That’s great!” She said excitedly, then frowned. “Not that I’m not happy to see you, but… What are you doing here?” She asked. Seulgi noticed Irene look down at her feet momentarily shuffling, then looking back up at Seulgi.

 

“I… erm,” Irene said. “Well, you remember how I asked you about flower meanings for asking someone out the other day?” Seulgi nodded slowly. She really hoped Irene wasn’t about to tell her about that working out too.
 

“Yes?” She said cautiously, wondering where Irene was going with that. Her question was answered when Irene brought her hand out from behind her back and presented Seulgi with a single white violet. The blonde’s eyebrows shot up.
 

“I was sort of hoping…. That.. well…” Irene struggled with her words. Seulgi reached out and hesitantly took the flower from Irene’s hand. She inspected it, a small smile appearing on her face. “I was hoping you might join me for dinner tonight? I know it’s short notice but I really enjoyed our conversation the other day.” Irene admitted. Seulgi smiled, taking Irene’s hand in hers.
 

“So did I. And dinner sounds wonderful. Let me finish closing up here?” Seulgi asked. Irene smiled and nodded. “Feel free to come in and take a seat. I shouldn't be long, Irene.” Seulgi’s heart fluttered as she set the violet that Irene had given her on the counter.

"It's Joohyun."

The blonde paused, arching an eyebrow at the other. "Sorry?"

"My real name... it's Joohyun Bae."

"Ah... it's nice meeting you, Joohyun Bae."

"The pleasure is all mine, Seulgi Kang."