Chapter 1

Choosing What's Best

F/N : Full name
N/N : Nick name
P/N : Place name

Hi. I’m F/N but you can call me N/N. I am working as an architect at a private company called ARISES. It is a famous company as many contractors refer to us in producing blueprints of certain buildings. Well, of course the people who work here are elites but I was just an ordinary person. I got the job due to my capabilities in drawing that attracted them to hire me. So, now it’s 6 pm and it’s time for me to go home. I looked outside and it was raining heavily. The weather forecast today stated that it’ll be a clear evening but I was wrong. Hence, I did not bring any umbrella with me today. I was supposed to bring home a few drawings for me to review back I can’t wait till the rain stopped as I had a date at 8.30 tonight, so whatever it was, I needed to rush home As I ran out of the building towards the taxi terminal, i bumped into someone and immediately my phone which I was holding slipped off and fell onto the floor. I quickly apologized and reached out for my phone and went into the taxi. 

 

I reached home, charged the phone as it went off when it fell just now, took a shower and dressed up for tonight. On my way to the restaurant, I my phone to check any new emails or messages when I suddenly realized that there were some missed calls and what caught me off guard was the wallpaper. It wasn’t my usual wallpaper and when I tried to unlock it, it did not work. “Snap, I must have taken the person’s phone when we bumped into each other,” I thought to myself. Luckily, weekend was coming so I didn’t have to worry about work and just focused on finding back my phone. Finally, the taxi came to a stop and I hop out and enter the restaurant. I saw my fiancée at a table for two at the back there. I was curious as to why he had chosen such a location as he always prefers a place near the window unless if he had something serious to talk about. And now, I’m scared. I kissed him on the cheek and sat down. His name was Lee Jae Hyun, a co-worker of mine which I had been dating for 2 years. I let the waiter took my order as he already ordered his. I was a bit taken aback as he never ordered first and always waited for me. But, tonight was different. So, I reached out for his hand and asked him “What’s wrong? You seemed to be bit off today.” He pulled back his hand and said the one thing that I wished I never heard that day. “Let’s break up. I am really sorry for everything but I just fell out of love for you, I no longer feel anything towards you”, he explained. He looked at me to see how I would react but somehow I felt numb, I felt nothing. I asked him, “Why? Did you meet anyone while being in a relationship with me? Huh! Did I do something that makes you mad? If I did, I apologize. But please, please think about it again.” “I’m really sorry but we can no longer be together,” he said. I was so angry, sad, frustrated to be treated like this. All the 2 years of memories were just temporary and to be forgotten. My eyes were getting wet. So, before he could see me cry and give him the satisfaction, I threw a glass of water at him and ran out of the restaurant to anywhere that my feet could take me. 

 

Without realizing, I arrived at a bench at Hangang. I sat down and cried my eyes out for minutes until I realized my phone was buzzing. I answered without looking at the screen and got surprised myself when I heard an unfamiliar voice. “Hello. Is this Miss F/N? I am Kang Younghyun, the owner of the phone which you are holding to right now.” With my crooked voice I answered, “Yes, I am F/N. I apologized for taking your phone as I must have mistaken it with mine when we bumped into each other. So, how do we return back the phones?” “Can we meet somewhere as soon as possible as I really need my phone now due to work purpose?” he asked. I was like, “Sure. I am at P/N at Hangang. Could you come here then?” He answered, “Owh, I know the place. I’ll be there in 15 minutes. See you.” We hung up. That was the first time that met a guy that would change my life forever.