End (?)

The Edge of the Rooftop

 

She stood on the edge of the roof. Looking down on the light shining below, it looked so tempting to her. She wonders what falling would feel like. Maybe if she jumps, the light will finally become black. Black. Black sounds nice. The noises she hears in the background is soothing. The engine of cars, the flutter of feathers from birds flying, the stomps of feet from people walking home. It’s night after all. Time to go home. To their family that they love.

 

Family.

 

Her family would be worried where she is right now. She usually doesn’t go outside at this time. She can feel her phone in her back pocket vibrating but she ignores it. They don’t truly care anyway. She’s tried to talk to them but it feels like they aren’t listening. It’s not like she has any friends either.

 

"Friends".

 

People only want to talk to her when they want something. No one really wants to be friends. The thought of one person however comes into mind but she pushes that thought away. That person doesn’t know. That person isn’t that important. She looks down again. For someone who is scared of falling, the fear isn’t coursing through her body. She isn’t afraid. She sticks a foot off the edge. It’s so tempting. Everything will stop if she lets go.

 

Yeah.

 

Let it go.

 

She leaped.

 

She feels the wind. But she isn’t falling (?). She opened her eyes. She’s still on the roof (?).

 

"Are you insane?!”

 

She turned to the sound of the voice.

 

"Why would you try to do that, do you know how worried I was?! I’ve been looking for you everywhere!”

 

Tears came out on their own. Who allowed them to show themselves? How dare they show their presence in front of another person.

 

"H-hey, you’re gonna be okay. P-please don’t cry. I’m sorry for yelling, I panicked when I saw you were gonna jump-”

 

"I'm sorry.” She cut them off. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry-” She kept repeating. She doesn’t know why she is, but it felt like she needed to.

 

"Irene.”

 

She sniffed at her name. She always liked hearing her name from that person. The only person that didn’t mind her. The person who actually liked having her around. Her only “real” friend.

 

"S-seulgi” She managed to choke out whilst her sobbing.

 

Seulgi gently cupped her cheeks and looked at her tenderly, softly.

 

"Let’s go back to my place and talk okay? Let’s talk about everything.”

 

Irene teared up even more, somehow there is relief in her heart. Like she’s been wanting to hear those words from someone for a long time.

 

Irene nodded furiously, hugging Seulgi in the process. She started sobbing again.

 

Seulgi hugged Irene back tightly. Angry at herself for never realising how much Irene had been suffering. She thought back to when Irene almost jumped and she pulled her away from the edge. Her hold on Irene tightened. She will help her. No matter what.