Sticky Note

The Pessimist and Her Sun

I stared blankly out of the vacant classroom window, listening to the faint ticking of the clock. I was around ten minutes early to class like usual, I would take residing in a classroom over a noisy hallway full of students any day. It wasn't like I was antisocial or anything, it was just the fact that people were way too annoying at this time of the morning. I glanced out across the field that was taken up by the school's female soccer team. I remember being in that team a short while ago, the team meant a lot to me, that's where I met a few of my closest friends. The only reason why'd I quit was due to my confidence in myself and my skills. Everyone told me I was a great player but I never felt that, and I guess I disliked myself so much I decided to quit the only thing that made me happy. 

"Sorry, I'm lat-" a voice came bursting in from the entrance. I turned my head to be faced with a flustered girl who seemed to stop right in her tracks when she realised there was no one else here but me. Her eyes quickly locked with mine embarrassment written all over her face. The girl looked familiar it would be because of this specific class we have together, but I had made no attempt to remember her name. "Oh, H-Hyunjin hi" the girl tripped over her words while flashing a small smile which revealed her bunny like teeth. I still was quite taken back that she remembered my name of all people. "Hi" I answered simply, knowing her name at this moment could have been useful so now I'm going to look rude. "Ah I'm Heejin, I'm not sure if you remember me, I sit three rows in front of you" She introduced herself while pointing to her usual spot in the first row. All I could do was nod as she stood there twisting around on the heels of her shoes. "Why are you early?" I decided to question her, our gaze met again her eyes lighting up instantly. "I thought everyone would be early, you know because of that stupid pop quiz today." I felt my heart drop as I stared at her with my eyes as wide as they could go. Was she joking with me? No why would she? We barely knew each other. I had come to the quick conclusion that I was in fact in very deep trouble, Heejin continued to look at me with confusion probably wondering why I hadn't responded to her. 

"Um, you knew about the test right?" Could she really tell that I was that clueless about the pop quiz? "No" I deadpanned, maybe if I decided to pay attention in class once in a while this wouldn't have happened. Sympathy could clearly be seen on her face knowing that I was also in deep trouble. "I'm sorry to hear that I guess?" she looked at me not really knowing what else to say. "Well if it helps this is only a small test, it won't do much to change your grade, just think of it as a progress check." Her telling me that I guess kinda made me feel better, but still another test that I would fail doesn't help me in any way. I nodded at her explanation trying to think of ways to make my situation a little bit better. "Sorry to sound stupid, but like what's the test about?" I watched her face falter as her lips then started to crinkle into a small smile. I could tell she was trying to keep back her laughter. "Trigonometry" she answered simply. If I didn't feel like an idiot then I sure as hell did feel like one now. What in the world was trigonometry? Sometimes I would even forget what class I was in, but this just made me feel worse. My thoughts were interrupted by the loud deafening sound of the first-period bell ringing. "Well gotta go Hyunjin, talk to you later," she said while rushing to her seat as a pool of students came flooding in. 

The teacher came in shortly after with a stack of paper booklets in her arm and her pencil case in the other. "Okay class as you all should know by now we have a test this period, so get out your pencil and calculator and you can begin as soon as I give you your booklet". As soon as the teacher stopped talking Heejin turned around to face me with a sheepish smile. I smiled back at her feeling the embarrassment rise to my cheeks, Heejin quickly returned to her original position as the teacher gave her a booklet. Everyone had gotten their booklet and the test was well on its way, I leafed through the pages of the booklet not knowing a single thing that the questions were asking me. The only thing that I had written was my name and date on the very first page. I glanced over to the clock and there were only 10 minutes left of class, at least my suffering would be over soon. I attempted to answer at least one of the questions, forcing myself to remember back to our first lesson learning whatever we were doing at the time. I settled on writing nothing down on my paper as I watched the time tick by.

It was finally over and I sat in my desk with my head in my hands. Students piled out of the door as they all made their separate ways to their next class. I heard light footsteps walking closer to my desk and I already knew who it was. I made eye contact with the girl who only wore a smile on her face as she looked down at me. "How do you think you went?" I questioned her as she opened probably about to ask me the same question. "I think I did well" She chimed obviously finding the test as easy as it could be. "What about you?" I was waiting for that question, the exact question I didn't want to answer. "I didn't answer anything" I deadpanned, her face scrunched up in disbelief trying to look for a trace of a lie on my face. "Hyunjin-ah are you serious?" she smacked my arm lightly, her eyebrows were closely knitted together as she fiddled with the eraser on my desk. "Yeah, I wouldn't lie about that," I told her, her face quickly sunk and a frown appeared on her face. It seems like good grades meant a lot to her. "So, you're failing?" I was suddenly taken back by the smaller girls bluntness. Was it just a wild guess or could she actually tell that I needed help? "Yeah, I guess I am," I said while studying her face."Well let me tutor you" She offered while shuffling her feet against the floorboards, ignoring any sort of eye contact. "Okay," I mumbled out, losing interest as soon as the word 'tutor' came out of . I watched as her eyes lit up at the realisation I'd agreed. "Sweet, see you tomorrow" She grinned while shoving a crumpled piece of paper into my hand. I felt a small smile curve the side of my lips enjoying the way the girl got excited over a tutor session.

'cute'  was all I could think as I peeled the pink sticky note open and it presented what it seemed to be her number in slightly smudged black pen. 

---

A short amount of time had passed and I had made my way home from a long, boring day. I finally realised what I had gotten myself into, I just got myself a tutor without fully realising. School was a pain in general but having to do extra work outside of school was just a handful. It was my last year being a high school student, meaning that stress was at its peak. I know I needed good grades to graduate but the pessimistic, lazy part of me just wants to sleep all day. I flopped down onto my bed, fishing my phone and the crumpled piece of paper out of my pocket. I wasn't desperate to talk to her, I just needed to find out when she was going to tutor me. I added her number into my contacts and quickly shot her a text hoping that the person on the other end was Heejin. 'Hi it's Hyunjin, I'm hoping this is Heejin. You gave me your number today in class, pls respond when you can :).' Maybe I shouldn't have used a smiley face, am I being too comfortable with her? and I hope she hasn't given me some random person's number that would . 'Hi Hyunjin!!!, yes this is Heejin, I'm glad you messaged me!' It's nice that she replied quickly and It seems like she's in a good mood due to the number of exclamation marks she used. 

'I was just wondering when you were free to tutor me?' I questioned while waiting for a reply

'Tomorrow afternoon in the library suits me' she replied back quickly, hopefully, she will reply back quick everytime I text her. Waiting hours for someone to text back is just a pain. 

'Alright, sounds good, text me after school' I answered plainly.

'Yup!' I smiled fondly at my phone, I guess she likes exclamation marks. 

 

A/N: Hi this is the first chapter, thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed it lmao! I will continue to update this every chance I get so please be patient. Thank you!