Chapter 1

How To Cook?

It is a beautiful and peaceful Saturday morning. The window that is directly at the right of Jaemin’s bed is open, with its curtain being flown by the pleasant breeze outside. Only the quiet sound of the ticking of the clock in his room, and all kinds of muffled sound from their serene neighborhood can be heard. Jaemin is currently having his much needed sleep. Since it is a weekend, it would be wonderful the more sleep he gets, as he intended to sleep until past 10:00 am because of how exhausted he was.

This week was their intramurals at their school. The students enjoyed themselves by playing and hanging out all week long. But being one of the dance club officers, they also needed to rehearse their performance that was supposed to be performed yesterday, and they thankfully did a great job on that. To say that he was tired this week is an understatement. He was exhausted.

 

For that reason, Jaemin decided to not set an alarm for today so he can sleep for as long as he wanted, but surprisingly, his phone started ringing.

This immediately woke Jaemin up, disturbing his peaceful sleep. He sleepily got up and began searching for his phone which he found on his study desk that is just on the left side of his bed.

Why would someone bother someone’s sleep at this ungodly hou-… Oh. He checked his phone and noticed that it’s already 9:34 am.

But all he wants to do right now is to go back to sleep again, so after seeing that he got a message from an unknown number, he quickly opened it.

He still is sleepy and displeased that a random person interrupted his sleep, but when he opened the message, he can’t help but break out a hearty laugh. The message somehow woke him up quite a bit.

From Unknown Number:

I’m sorry for bothering you stranger, but how tf do you cook an egg? :) Tell me please. I’ve wasted 6 eggs already in half an hour and I only have 4 left. I’m starving to death. Love, a dumb and starving teenager who doesn’t know how to cook, Lele.

Someone surely had it worse this morning. He could actually imagine someone, a stranger perhaps, having a hard time cooking his own breakfast. And it is quite amusing.

Despite laughing, Jaemin actually felt quite bad for that person, though it’s still their fault for not knowing how to cook. But how come that someone thought sending a text to a random number will get you through this rough morning? Does he/she not have any friends? Or is he/she just that embarrassed to call someone he/she knows and ask them how to cook instead?

Talking about food and breakfast is making him hungry and reminds him that he, himself, hasn’t eaten breakfast yet and that he should. So, he went downstairs to their kitchen to make his own breakfast.

He brought his phone with him as he sincerely wants to help the stranger who sent him the text. He knows that it could be a prank text, or that it could just be a kid overreacting, but since it made his mood better even if it interrupted his sleep, he’s ready to help. So, while walking towards their kitchen, he quickly sent a reply.

To Unknown Number:

I’m glad you know how much of an idiot you are stranger. So, tell me, in what way did you cook the eggs? :)

It might be much for someone who doesn’t know the other person to call him an idiot, but Jaemin meant it in a joking manner. He is trying to be friendly here and he is also just telling the truth.

While waiting for a reply, Jaemin decided that he wants bacon and eggs for his own breakfast so he started to cook.

 

He was looking for the foods he needed to cook in their refrigerator when his phone ringed again. He went to the table where he left his phone and as expected, it was a message from Dumb Stranger.

From Dumb Stranger:

Yeah, thanks. I’m well aware of that. :3 But, um… I feel like I would be dead in a matter of minutes and uh, would you mind if I call you instead? Of course, it’s alright if you don’t like the idea, haha ><

Jaemin doesn’t exactly know why he is considering on accepting the offer. The reason? Maybe he thinks, “he/she texts cutely, I wonder if his/her voice is as cute too,” or, “he/she seems harmless, I want to help.”

Okay, maybe he knows why and it’s both.

Before preparing the foods that he is about to cook, he sent a reply.

To Dumb (but cute) Stranger:

Uh, sure.

 

The stranger took more time to reply this time than usual. Is it because it is a call?

What does he expect? Of course, anyone would be scared, or at least, careful, to call and talk to someone they do not personally know. Jaemin is not the only one allowed to be scared here. In fact, the stranger might actually be scared of him too. The Dumb Stranger might be thinking that Jaemin could actually be some random old guy taking this chance to kidnap him for all we know.

He started cooking while waiting for a reply from the stranger. It took 3 minutes before the call came.

 

Jaemin was frying the bacon when his phone ringed again.

“Chogiwa danbeone neukkyeo…” The sound of EXO’s Wolf, his ringtone, is filling the air.

This time it’s a call from Dumb Stranger. He quickly answered it.

 

“Hello?” A careful yet sweet voice greeted him. So, he is a guy, huh. This feels familiar.

“Oh. Hi..” Jaemin replied, unsure of what to say to the other.

“Ah! Yes, hello!” Lele beamed at him, almost like shrieking. For someone that is starving, he still fairly have energy left. The latter continued, “I’ll introduce myself later? Right now I’ll tell you what I did first, if it’s alright?”

“Yeah, sure. Go ahead.”

“Okay, thanks. So, what I did was I beat four eggs in a bowl and then I put it in a pot with boiling water.”

After hearing this, Jaemin face palmed himself. Oh my gosh.

“I know I shouldn’t have done 4 eggs at once when I was not sure if what I was doing was right, but then I realized that it was wrong, it didn’t become cooked. So, I cooked another batch, but this time, I put two scrambled eggs in a pan without water, yet they burnt rapidly. Please tell me what I did wrong…”  Lele asked innocently. The Dumb Stranger heaved a sigh. Jaemin can sense that Lele is getting frustrated at himself too.

But Jaemin, he doesn’t realize but he had a smile on his face all throughout their conversation.

“Idiot. It’s because you either scramble them and put them in a pan WITH OIL or, put the whole eggs WITHOUT CRACKING THEM in a pot with boiling water to make a boiled egg.” He put emphasis on those words. Jaemin, on the other hand, is almost done cooking his breakfast.

“Oh.” He heard the other line say in an almost whisper. He must have realized his mistake.

Jaemin chuckled when he heard it. “Yeah, you’re welcome.”

Lele didn't reply for a while and he could only hear the sound of frying. Thinking the other was focusing on cooking, Jaemin continued on cooking his breakfast too. But the call is still on so he put it down on the counter beside him.

 

After a while, Lele spoke again, “Oh, you’re cooking, too?” He must have heard a faint sound of when Jaemin fried the last food he needed to cook.

“Yes, I am. I just woke up when you sent the message and I got hungry talking about foods.”

“Oh, I’m really sorry about that! I didn’t mean to be much of a bother.”

“No, it’s okay, really.” Jaemin moved his head left and right as if the other can see him, “it’s almost the time I should wake up so I don’t mind.” It is a lie but he truly doesn’t mind now.

“I’m glad. I was really starvin g, though, you have no idea. They woke me up at 8:00 am telling me that all we have is eggs that I should cook because they both have to go somewhere else. I thought I have spare money with me but I don’t and they didn’t even lend me some. Eggs were my only chance of living!”

Jaemin is amused at the other’s story. He pities him but he can’t help but chuckle.

“Your parents do not know that you can’t cook?”

“Nah, I’m living with my two friends. Mark-hyung and Jisung know that I can’t cook but they still left me with nothing but eggs. They .” Jaemin softly gasped, he doesn't wanna be heard by the other. It’s confirmed.

“Why did you not call them instead to ask how to cook then?”

“I’m still mad at them,” the other cackled, “they’ll taste my wrath when they come back! I’ll make them eat the disasters I made earlier!”

Jaemin laughed at that. “They like teasing you, huh?- Wait, are you not done cooking yet? Don’t burn them again! Eggs are easily cooked.”

“Oh shoot. These must be okay then. I’ll be back!”

He heard shuffling from the other line then it got silent again. He probably left his phone on a table or something. Then he heard the sound of plates and utensils. Jaemin should get ready to eat now too.