end

Switch

Seulgi was fearless. Joohyun watched the younger go into haunted houses, roller coasters, peer down from the highest places innocently, try new things she had never done before while Joohyun sat by the sidelines, afraid.

 

Why was this girl perfect? She could do anything - in fact, she excelled in almost anything she did. Joohyun felt like she was unworthy of the younger. Everything Seulgi did, the older coward would usually be too afraid to try. The younger had to get on scary rides alone and try out suspicious-looking foods alone whenever they went out on dates... Both of them were afraid of bugs, but Seulgi would be the one sacrificing herself and catching them for the elder. She was just that brave and outgoing. Joohyun had seen Seulgi cry multiple times, but she realised she'd never seen the younger genuinely afraid. 

 

Which was why she was very confused when Seulgi was really quiet and seemed especially out of her mind when they were waiting outside the doctors' room to be vaccinated. Joohyun felt like she had never seen this side of her before.

 

"You alright?" Joohyun waved her hand in front of the younger's face. Seungwan was currently inside, and the two maknaes were waiting in the main waiting room.

 

"Y-yeah..." Seulgi mumbled, shooting the elder a nervous glance before going back to staring at nothing in particular.

 

"It's so surreal... We're finally debuting."

 

"Yeah..." Seulgi hummed, and Joohyun frowned.

 

"Are you not feeling well?" Joohyun asked in a gentler tone, leaning over to the younger. She placed a hand on the dancer. She felt fine.

 

"Kang Seulgi ssi?" an unfamiliar voice called.

 

Seungwan came out, holding her shoulder just like Sooyoung and Yerim was. 

 

"You didn't take long." Joohyun commented, amazed.

 

"I've had a few vaccinations before I went abroad to study." Seungwan said. "You and Seulgi are probably going to get a few."

 

Joohyun sighed. She wasn't afraid of needles, but they do hurt a little. She wished Seulgi good luck before she went in, and the eldest was left outside alone. Joohyun looked around the hospital, and not long after Seungwan went over to the other two members, the door opened.

 

"That was fast-" Joohyun stopped when she looked up to see a worried doctor.

 

"Can you come in, please?"

 

Joohyun was confused, and worried too, when she entered and Seulgi had a tear running down her cheek while she held on tightly to her shoulder.

 

"What's wrong?" Joohyun held the younger's face in her hands immediately.

 

"I'm scared..." Seulgi said in the softest voice, and Joohyun felt her heart stop, before she let out a little chuckle.

 

Kang Seulgi has to be the most adorable creature in the universe.

 

"You're afraid of needles?"

 

Seulgi nodded, looking down and letting out a little sniffle. "Don't laugh."

 

Joohyun cooed and wiped the tears off her cheeks with her thumb, before turning to the doctor. "How many more does she need?"

 

The elderly lady silently held up a two, not wanting to scare or make Seulgi panic. Seulgi saw, however, and Joohyun rubbed her shoulder when her breath hitched. "She already took one, and then she started crying, so I decided to call you in."

 

"Can I go first?"

 

The doctor nodded, quite confused. Joohyun pulled another chair over, and the doctor opened up another needle packet, before starting to clean Joohyun's shoulder area.

 

Joohyun was afraid too, to be honest, but she had to bite her lip as she noticed the dancer peering over at her, eyes still glistening.

 

"There." The doctor said, and Joohyun widened her eyes.

 

"I'm done?" She asked, absentmindedly taking a cotton pad from the doctor and pressing it on her shoulder. She didn't even feel the needle go in. 

 

"Yeah." The doctor chuckled. "You've already taken vaccines in the past. For this one, make sure you take a pill once every morning for the next three days. If you feel unwell, do come back for a check up."

 

"Oh, okay." Joohyun said, looking at Seulgi. "It doesn't hurt, Seul."

 

"It does." Seulgi sniffled, frowning. "I don't need vaccines. Why am I the only one to get three?"

 

Joohyun chuckled at the dancer's whining, bringing her chair towards her. She grabbed both of Seulgi's hands gently, letting go of her shoulder.

 

"Just look at me. Tell yourself it doesn't hurt."

 

"It doesn't work that way." Seulgi continued whining, but looking at Joohyun nonetheless. Joohyun smirked when she noticed the doctor insert the second needle in swiftly, and the dancer didn't even flinch.

 

"Yes it does. C'mon, say it with me." Joohyun said, smiling.

 

Seulgi huffed, and sighed. "It doesn't- Ah-"

 

Joohyun was quick, and covered her girlfriend's view immediately by pulling her face back to face hers.

 

"Don't think about it."

 

Seulgi shut her eyes, and let out a sniffle as a fresh new batch of tears started to form.

 

"Sorry, I inserted it in a little too hastily." The doctor chuckled.

 

"It hurts." Seulgi pouted. Joohyun wanted to record all of this down. Her girlfriend was being such a baby.

 

"It doesn't" Joohyun laughed, wiping Seulgi's tears off again. She let go of the dancer's face when the doctor cleaned Seulgi's shoulder and handed her a new cotton pad and tissues.

 

"It's done."

 

"I don't need to take the last one?" Seulgi hiccupped, confused.

 

"It was done already. You didn't even flinch." Joohyun said smugly as she went back to holding her shoulder.

 

Seulgi's eyes widened. "When?"

 

"While you were whining." Joohyun teased. When she turned to the doctor and saw what the elderly lady was holding onto, she let out her signature ugly cackle.

 

"She's giving you a lollipop!"

 

Seulgi's cheeks turned red immediately, and she cleaned the rest of her tears off. She took the strawberry flavoured lollipop, bowing slightly towards the doctor.

 

"I'm sorry for making a fuss."

 

"It's alright. It's a genuine fear. You didn't mean it." The doctor said. "You have another shot on Tuesday. Please bring this beautiful lady with you."

 

"I have another-" Seulgi gasped, and Joohyun popped the lollipop into the singer's mouth. "I'll be here! Thank you!"

 

Joohyun felt good being the reassuring one for once.