Haven't you seen horror movies?

Monster

The walk to the church was lonely and quiet. The only sounds were your footsteps through the fallen leaves, occasionally snapping a twig or kicking a pebble. Just three hours. Your friends, Mino and Hoony,  would be nearby in case anything happened. You exhaled slowly, slowing down your galloping heartbeat. You couldn’t afford to panic or freak out now. There was 100,000 won on the line that said you wouldn’t do it. Like hell. That money was yours.

The front doors were chained shut, but rain and time had rusted them over, making it easier to break with the of your flashlight. The door needed an extra shove to get open, but you got in.

The air was stale and stunk heavily of mildew and mothballs. The plumbing must have backed up. Or maybe the whole building just needed to be demolished. Why hadn’t anyone torn the place down? It hadn’t seen use in years. It was on public property just outside of the city. Maybe someone with a penchant for history bought it. You cleaned off a pew and sat down in a blanket Seungyoon had given you once it was clear you weren’t going to back out of this silly bet.

The first hour went by quickly. You spent most of it on your phone, watching YouTube videos. Once your battery got to thirty percent, you switched to power saver mode and read a book you’d downloaded.

It was when you’d gotten to the third chapter that you heard something. A low, haunting wail. What. The. . Without your phone to drown out the ambiance, it was hard to pretend you didn’t hear it. You held your breath and waited.

A faint groan echoed through the sanctuary.

A chill ghosted over your skin, and you stood up, torn between running for the door or checking it out. It could have been a cat or some other small, non-murderous animal. Yeah, no. It was more likely to be someone who’d gotten stuck somewhere and heard you come in. If there was someone else there, Mino promised to let you off and pay half. But he’d come in to check. Running out without checking would mean you wasted your time. No reason to believe it’s a ghost just because it’s Halloween. Dammit.

You packed up your things, pulling out a taser just in case. You’d never used one before. The thought of hurting some poor homeless squatter made your stomach churn. Flashlight in one hand and a taser in the other, you set off.

The groans got louder the closer you got to what used to be a kitchen. The sink was missing. The wall cabinets sat on the floor, most of them without their doors. The flooring had been stripped away. You nosed around, checking cabinets and the pantry. Finally, you stood in front of what looked like a small broom closet. Your body moved slower as you reached for the handle. What could be making the noise? You readied the taser, shifting the flashlight to the hand on the doorknob. It was awkward, but you didn’t want to lose a second trying to switch to your weapon. You didn’t want to tase yourself, either.

The door was a to move, but after a few minutes of throwing your body against it, it gave way. With a loud, terrible screech it swung open to stairs going down into darkness. A basement. Nope. This is stupid. Haven’t you seen horror movies? There’s always something trying to eat you in basements.

‘Come to me…’ The words whispered through your mind sending another chill down your spine, soothing like a lover. It was familiar. It was intimate. It was confirmation that this whole thing was a bad idea.

You pointed your flashlight down the stairs, taser held out. “Is anyone there?”

Maybe some unlucky soul had gotten locked in. The door was pretty heavy. They may need first aid. A soft groan caught your attention from the darkness. ‘Well, .’ You swallowed hard and said, “I have a weapon. If you try anything, I will hurt you.” You waited for a response but got nothing. Someone had to be down there. Maybe it was Mino trying to scare you. That little .

A sudden urge to take a step forward had you going further in. Two steps down, the old door swung shut behind you, slamming with a loud thud. You let out a startled scream, lost your footing, and fell down the rest of the stairs.

The back of your head connected with the concrete floor and, with a flash of white, everything went dark.


“Hey… Wake up.”

You groaned and coughed. Your head throbbed, and your neck hurt. You rolled over onto your side, resting your head on your outstretched arm as waves of nausea rolled through your gut.

“You’ll be okay. Go slow. Take your time.” A deep croaky voice sighed with relief. “Don’t sit up too fast. You might have a concussion, and I can’t get to you.”

“Concussion? From what —” You opened your eyes and remembered. The door was shut. Your flashlight had rolled out of reach, shining on old crates stacked nearby. You moved to your hands and knees slowly, mouth dry and vision spotty. You touched the side of your head that hurt the most and found it warm and wet. You pulled your hand away and gasped at the blood on your hand. “Dammit.”

You picked up the flashlight and taser, checking your pockets for your phone. Hopefully, it survived the fall. Once you were sure it still functioned, you checked the basement for the owner of the voice. “Where are you?”

“Over here, under the window.” You turned and held out the taser, taking slow steps.

“I don’t see you.” You saw what looked like a Halloween prop chained to the wall, arms above its head. Why anyone had bought the Tales from the Crypt Keeper skeleton and left it in the basement baffled you. It’d be killer at parties. “I don’t see you. Just —”

“You’re looking right at me,” the Crypt Keeper rasped, lifting its head and glaring at you with blood red eyes. You jumped back and screamed. “Stay calm, little one,” it said. “You’re hurt. Come to me. I can try to heal you.”

You stared at it, unable to keep your horror off your face. “How? You’re chained up in the basement of a church. And, for ’s sake, have you seen how you look?” You paused. Talking to a Halloween prop? Come on, ____, you’re better than this. Okay, think. You fell down the stairs — You clapped your hands. “I’m dreaming! I must have knocked myself out when I fell. This isn’t real.”

“As amusing as this is, little one, now isn’t the time for hysterics.” It coughed out a chuckle. “The door shut. You won’t be getting out of here without my help.”

“I don’t need to get out. I need to wake up.” You crossed your arms and stuck your tongue out. “Just waiting. Why are you down here anyway? If you can get us out, why are you still here?”

“This isn’t a dream.” It rolled its eyes. “And I was betrayed by someone I held dear to my heart.” Its gaze dropped to its legs. “The cuffs are blessed silver. Without blood, I don’t have the strength to break free.”

“I’m sorry, say what now?” You leaned in slightly. “Blood? Are you anemic or something?”

“No, I’m a vampire. I drink blood. How sheltered are you? You don’t know about the blood-drinkers?” Its red eyes captured yours.

“First off, you. I’m not sheltered. Two, vampires don’t exist. They’re just a myth thought up to give people an excuse to go around nibbling on each other.”

“Vampires don’t exist…” It stared at you, mouth open slightly. “You’re serious.” It looked back down. “Those cowards. They really did it.”

“Who? Did what?” You took another step closer.

“That doesn’t matter right now. I need to get out of here.” It looked up at you, pinning you with a bright glare. “There’s a knife in my chest, in my heart. Reach in and pull it out.”

“Like hell. I’m not touching you.” You crossed your arms, resisting the desire to give into his command.

It groaned, dropping its head back on the cinder block wall behind it. “If this is a dream, wouldn’t make more sense to go along with it so you can wake up?”

Well, when it’s put that way… “Crypt Keeper, you have a point.”

“Did you just —” It tilted its head to the side.

Curiosity got the better of you, and you moved closer, kneeling by its feet. The chest looked like a skeletal rib cage. The heart was the color of dark red wine and wasn’t beating. The tip of whatever was in its heart was a dull silver and pointed. “Does it hurt?”

“Not as much as her hatred for me,” it whispered.

The bitterness and sorrow in his words made you pause. Something in you felt for it, hated that it’d been hurt. You eyed the restraints. The little skin left on its wrists were charred under the metal. Though they were made of silver, they had degraded with time. “I think I can pick the locks.” You pulled a bobby pin free from your hair. “You won’t hurt me, will you?”

“You believe this is a dream. Does it matter?” The snark in its voice triggered an urge to hit him.

“That doesn’t mean you won’t hurt me.” You touched the cuffs, aware of how your fingertips tingled when they brushed against his dried out palms. “Even in dreams, I have a ty tolerance for pain.”

“Fair enough.” It shook its head keeping its eyes on you. “I will not lay a finger on you nor allow you to be harmed.”

“I don’t know anyone who talks like that. Was it because I watched Interview with the Vampire? ing monster movie marathons…” You focused on picking the lock of one of the cuffs, sliding the pin in and wiggling it around. Within a minute, it popped open, and the corpse’s arm dropped down. It let out a groan. You waited to see what it would do. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, little one. Please. The other one.” Its head dropped back against the wall with its eyes closed.

“_____. Call me _____.”

He repeated it a few times, drawing out the syllables each time. His eyes opened and looked up at you. “My name, among many, is Namjoon.”

“Okay, then. Namjoon.” You reached over his head and fiddled with the remaining lock until that arm was free as well. Instead of letting the arm drop, he slipped his bony arms around your waist and pulled you down into his lap. You let out a yelp.

“What the hell?” You leaned away from him, struggling to get free. Contrary to his frail appearance, he had a grip felt like it could bend steel. Just pushing against him hurt your palms, arms, and back. “You said you wouldn’t hurt me!”

“And I won’t. It’s easier to remove the piece in my chest this way.”

“Oh.” You looked at his chest where the sliver of metal peeked out from between his ribs. “The cross?”

“The what? It’s not a knife?”

You shook your head and said, “I see arms and a head.”

He scoffed. “Of course it is.” He shook his head, lips curled into a wry smirk. “Pull it out. I can’t regenerate with it there. I need you to remove it for me.”

This felt too close to surgery. Not to mention you liked to avoid shoving your hand into other people’s bodies. “Why can’t you?”

“I can’t touch it. I can’t touch silver when it’s been blessed.” You looked him in the eyes, shocked by the sadness in them. “Please.”

You in a breath and held it as you pushed your fingers in between the ribs. Despite Namjoon’s dry and bony appearance, his bones were pliant and wet. You yanked your hand back and gagged. “Oh my god. Ew. Ew. Ew.” Summoning willpower worthy of Wonder Woman, you tried again. Your fingertips touched the tip of the cross, and Namjoon cried out in pain. “, , . I’m sorry!”

“No, no.” He grunted. “It’s going to hurt regardless. Hell. Just pull it out. Quickly.”

You put your free hand on his shoulder and nodded. “Okay. If you insist.” You reached in again and closed your fingertips around the exposed end, then yanked hard. Namjoon roared and slumped forward, resting his head on your shoulder. You scampered away until your back pressed against the adjacent wall, eyes wide as you waited for him to attack. He in deep gulps of air before pulling himself up from the floor. In the questionable glow of your flashlight, you watched as his golden tan skin regained color and began to fill in over the heart and other places where patches were missing. Black hair returned to scalp and eyebrows. Plump lips filled out along with the nose.

“Thank you,” he pressed a hand over his heart and attempted to bow to you. However, he lost his balance and fell. You attempted to catch him, but misjudged the distance, got head-butted, then crushed under his weight. For a ing corpse, he was heavy. He groaned softly in your ear as you struggled to get him upright. His nose touched your collarbone, exposed when his body slid against yours. He inhaled deeply and shuddered. “You smell…delicious.”

You froze. Blood. He’d said he needed it. Okay, no biggie. It’s all a dream so it’d be fine. All of your hot vampire daydreams prepared you for this. Bring it on. A shaky hand pulled your shirt down a little further and cold lips pressed to your skin.

“So soft,” he whispered. One hand slid up your body and buried itself in your hair, cradling your head. The other rested on your hip, fingers digging into your flesh.

‘Okay, breathe.’

He seemed to hesitate, lifting his head up just enough to catch your eyes. You opened your mouth to ask a question, but it was lost to the scream that tore from your throat when he struck. It felt like he’d stabbed his fingers into your neck instead of teeth and clamped down with the force of car door. As the pain radiated throughout your body, it was impossible to tell which hurt more. Unable to bear it for a second longer, you began to claw at his shoulders as you kicked your feet.

But the er wouldn’t budge. It was like having a truck parked on top of you. So you kept screaming. Tears poured from the corner of your eyes as he drank your life away. The taser! It wasn’t too far. You slapped at the concrete, trying to pull your body toward it. His weight wouldn’t allow it. . You swung your leg out and managed to nudge it closer with your foot.

However, your limbs became heavy. The pain began to lessen as your vision doubled. Your hand dropped to the ground, and you let out a drugged groan. You became all too aware of the sound of his swallows, of the sound of your blood rushing through you. Too much. He was taking too much. You would die if he didn’t stop.

‘Die?’

Your eyes widened at the thought. No, this was supposed to be a dream. Just… A… Dream…

“_____?” His voice sounded far away now. ing vampire.

“Damn.” Soft lips brushed over your throat, pressing kisses to it in between whispered apologies. “You’ll be okay.”

“.” Your words were slurred. You lifted a hand to slap him, but he caught it and pressed a kiss to your knuckles with an impish smile. “You said you wouldn’t hurt me.”

“I forgot that the pleasure of the bite is part of my strengths.” He shrugged. “Without the ability to enthrall, it hurts.”

You swung again, but this time he let your hand graze his cheek. “Forget? How the do you forget something like that?”

He chuckled, bringing your attention to his youthful appearance. Gorgeous. The man was ing handsome. Eyes the color of hot cocoa with tiny flecks of red.  Tan skin kissed with gold. Face slightly rounded with the deepest dimples you’d ever seen. Wow.

“Come on, let’s get you up.” He lifted your shoulders and steadied you against the cinderblock wall. Instead of moving away, he remained by your legs, eyes going over every visible inch of you. “It’ll be a few more minutes before you stop feeling light-headed. You’ll need to get something to eat and drink.”

“You sound like I just donated blood or something.” You scoffed.

He chuckled, and you felt it in your chest. Or was that your heart? Everything was all screwy now. “I’ve done this enough. Though, I am a bit rusty.”

The words sprung from your lips before you had a chance to think them over. “How the hell did you get locked down here? Like that?”

He went still, eyes fixed on your face, before he answered, “You did this.”

You hoped your expression fully showed your disbelief. “I would remember chaining up a vampire. It’s not something to just slip my mind.”

He shook his head, dropped his gaze and let out a deep sigh. “Not you - a past you. You’re her reincarnation.”

“My past self shoved a cross into your heart then chained you up. Did she even come back to check on you?”

There was a long silence that made you uncomfortable. “I haven’t seen this face,” Namjoon fingertips grazed your jaw, “in two centuries.”

The breath left your lungs in a whoosh as if you’d been physically hit. And it hurt. The ache started as a small pinprick near your heart and blossomed into a pain that held you tight around the middle. Your question was a dull whisper. “Why?”

He shrugged as a sad smile curved his lips. “I was never told. Miah never came back, and no one else knew where to look for me. I had friends who depended on my strength. I felt them die, one by one. I had a family. I had everything I ever wanted. And I threw it all away, for you.”

His hand slipped around your throat, long fingers pressing into your skin as he pulled your forward so he could bring his lips to your ear.

“How is it that you smell the same? How can your blood taste just as sweet?” He moved closer, straddling your legs as his arms caged you in. “I thought that when I saw this face again, I would be more than glad to rip your heart out. To crush it the way you crushed mine.”

“That wasn’t me.” You mumbled weakly, throat dry.

He hummed, nodding. “I see that. You don’t have the same hatred in your eyes.” His lips skimmed your earlobe before he leaned back tilting your head up with his fingertip. “I never thought I’d see these eyes again without the hate. So, I’ve changed my mind.”

In the blink of an eye, he was gone. “What —”

A loud creak caught your attention from the top of the stairs. “Namjoon?”

“Still here.” He jogged back down the stairs, strolling over to you with a giddy dimpled smile. “Just stretching my legs.” He crouched down and reached for you, but you flinched away.

“You were just about to kill me.” You held an arm up defensively.

“Yeah, I was. But did say I changed my mind. You were kind enough to free me. You haven’t freaked out over my drinking from you.”

“How do you know I’m not on the verge of going into shock or something? I may be planning to freak out the second I know I’m safe.” You pointed your chin at him, brow crinkled. The way the Miah he’d fallen for would do when she wanted to appear tougher than she felt. Even now, it was still adorable. He couldn’t stop himself from laughing. “This isn’t funny.”

He slipped his hands under you, lifting you from the floor with ease. “Not for you, it isn’t. Hilarious on my end.”

“Oh, you.” Your arms went around his neck, holding on tightly as you remembered it wasn’t too long ago he was barely more than a mummy. “I can walk.”

He moved up the stairs with ease. “Don’t be stubborn. You can barely sass me, much less keep your eyes open. Your friends are nearby. I do believe they heard your scream and are talking one another into coming in for you.”

“How do you know —?”

Another -eating grin summoned those dimples as he stopped in the sanctuary to grab your bag. “My strength is coming back. I’ll need to feed a few more times —” Your jaw dropped. “No, not from you. As it is, I took a bit much the first time. I’ll go find others.”

“My friends?”

“Nah. Feeding on unwilling and terrified victims is a pain. They’re safe.” He pushed the door open. Under the moonlight, his skin had an ethereal glow that was mesmerizing. He sighed softly and lowered your legs, keeping a hand on your back for balance. “Here.”

You took your bag with shaky fingers, eyes still locked on his face. “T-thanks.” Your teeth chattered as the cool air settled in. His hand came to your forehead, pushing your hair back so he could press his lips to it. “Namjoon?”

His lips moved quickly as he whispered words you didn’t recognize. You instinctively took a step back, but his other arm came to your shoulders, anchoring you against him. The words continued for a minute longer before he let go, cutting off all physical contact between you. You immediately had the urge to step forward back into his embrace. What the hell?

“What did you just do?” You whispered eyes narrowed.

His smirk told you all you needed to know. “See you soon, little one.”

Then he was gone.