Chapter 1

A little life

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bookshop was located in one of Bukchon hanok village allies, well hidden from people who were not interested in books. Previously the one-floor building was used as café so it was painted in pastel blue, but Hyukjae decided not to change that when he brought the place. Inside the store, customers could enjoy a cup of hot tea or coffee, free of charge. The shelves were not so high so the customers could look alone for books without trouble. Hyukjae wanted to own a bookstore that everyone could find a book to read, so he tried to keep various genres for different group ages. Even if his English was so bad that he barely could read, Hyukjae ordered a bunch of English books as well – just in case.

Lee Hyukjae loved books: he loved the smell of new books, he loved that he could put the troubles aside and disconnect from the world for a few hours because of a book. Hyukjae though that there no bad book but people who have different preferences in reading.

But Hyukjae not always wanted to own a bookstore, it's just that life sometime won't work the way you want them to. Since a young age, aside from his love for books, Hyukjae loved dancing. In school, he was part of a group with his friend Junsu, who later became an idol, but Hyukjae failed his audition (twice) and after lots of tears and tantrums he decided that maybe dancing should stay as a hobby. After graduating school (as top student) he decided to in roll to university and take literature and management classes – that’s when it became clear that eventually, he would open a bookstore. For the next 3 years, he spends all his time in classes and in part-time jobs and even after graduation he kept on looking for jobs that could help him open his store.

Almost two years ago Hyukjae did it. The owner of the café moved out of Seoul and had to sell the place quick. Hyukjae couldn’t believe his luck when his friends told him, although even after years of hard work he needed to get a loan, but it was bearable.

Now Hyukjae sipped his morning tea and looked at Kyuhyun opening a new shipment of books. Kyuhyun was university student that worked part-time at the store, with his witty comments and brain he became a star in neighborhood drawing school girls to the store. At first, Hyukjae was annoyed by screaming teenagers, but as time passed he got used to it. Hyukjae picked a book with blue cover and smelled it – the smell of a new book making him smile even after all these years.

"Hyukjae you look like a creep with that smile," Kyuhyun smirked and put down the pen he was holding.

"Hyukjae hyung, you brat." Hyukjae puffed his cheeks and carefully placed the book on the shelve.

"Yeah yeah." Kyuhyun laughed. Even if he annoyed the older sometimes, he was grateful for the opportunity to work in a bookstore. Find stable works when you're a student is hard, but find a place where the manager was nice, was much harder.

***

Donghae couldn't remember how he ended up near Bukchon. He got in fights with his manager for the second time this week and got out of the car the moment it stopped because of red light. After few turns he found himself standing in the middle of Bukchon surrounded by tourists and couples that took a walk in chill autumn weather. Donghae, whose face was covered with a mask and had a hat, looked a bit out of place but he did not care and walked down the road. Blue building that stood out from hanok houses did draw his attention.
Donghae raised an eyebrow when he saw it was a bookstore. There were some people inside, looking for a book on shelves and few people speaking with a guy with a gummy smile who laughed from something that was said. Donghae, who didn't have an opportunity to read a book for more than 10 years, stepped inside.
"Welcome to Jewel bookstore." Said the guy that laughed before and bowed. "Please feel free to make yourself a cup of tea or coffee."
Donghae noticed the small table near the entrance and picked cup with little jewels on it. He debated for a second between coffee and tea,
deciding against one more cup of coffee, and picking a pack of peach tea. He took off his mask and sipped the hot tea scanning the bookstore. The guy that welcomed him, Donghae guessed he was the owner, was packing books for an old lady smiling softly because of what she said.

"Why are staring at Hyukjae hyung?" Donghae jumped when someone whispered into his ear.

"I-I'm not staring." Donghae placed his right hand on his heart that was beating so fast he could swear it would jump out of place.

"Hey! Hyukjae hyung, this guy can't stop staring at you!" the guy shouted and pointed his finger at Donghae. Donghae couldn't decide if he wants to facepalm himself or kill the rude guy.