The Meeting

When Strangers Meet

Sun Mi walked into the bar with the grace of an elephant. Her heels clicked along the hardwood floors as she barely held her balance. After meeting her grandparents for their yearly family reunion, or family disaster as she liked to call it. A drink was needed. Her grandparents never accepted her mother after her chaebol father married an American scientist instead of the woman they had chosen for him. It also didn’t help that her mother was African American. Their family remained split until her birth. Her grandparents couldn’t resist her after she was born. They tried for the sake of their granddaughter to get along with her mother Cheryl, but things don’t always work out how people plan.


Sun Mi’s dress had become wrinkled at this point and she didn’t care. She was about to toss her god awful shoes in a second. She was no longer with her stuffy grandparents and could go back to being a tomboy. She tied her long curly locks into a bun, and sat at the bar. She ordered a jack and coke in flawless Korean as the bartender looked at her with a curious eye. People were always surprised when she spoke Korean well. Sun Mi was so busy de-girling herself that she did not notice the rowdy young men across the bar.


Cheers could be heard ringing across the bar as Junsu celebrated the success of his first solo single “Alive”. Even his homie Jaraurd had come from the states to celebrate with him life was good. Junsu had kept the drinks flowing until he saw an interesting young lady across the bar. Interesting was the only word he could use to describe her. She was pretty, but she was rough around the edges. What kind of woman couldn’t even walk in high heels? When he saw her sipping on a jack and coke he had to respect her. There was nothing like a woman who could hold her liquor. Since Junsu was in a jovial mood he decided her drink would be on him. 


Sun Mi finished her drink and the bartender told her that her tab was paid for. She was about to protest, but decided not to argue. Who argues with free drinks? When she was about to grab her shoes from the floor she could feel a tap on her shoulder. It was some random black dude from the party across the bar. At this point Sun Mi knew who had paid for her drink. He began speaking to her in broken Korean, and all she could do is laugh.


“I speak English you know”, she told him.


He laughed and began engaging her in conversation. Sun Mi thought she had the man name Jaraurd pegged, but she was wrong about him. He was highly entertaining. He was there celebrating with his friends, who he had begun waving over. Their names were Roger, Mikey, Malcolm and Peter. There was one more who stood in the back with a sparkly hoodie over his head. She guessed he was too good to converse with the little people. He spoke softly and went back to his business. They continued to talk, drink, and laugh while Mr. Sparkly Jacket slowly began to loosen up.


Junsu smiled as the girl took one more shot with his friends. Even though she was slightly homely she could hold her own, and he liked that. He usually didn’t go for her type, but maybe it was the alcohol. Once he figured out she was from the states and didn’t know who 2pm was he began to loosen up. It was nice not having to put up a front for the sake of his image of velvety smooth main vocal.


Mr. Sparkly Jacket’s name was Jun, and Sun Mi had to admit that he was alright,, but maybe just a little shy. He really started loosened up when she challenged him to a game of darts. He was a sneaky one, he would bump her, and swat her darts away from the dartboard; he did everything he could to win. All Sun Mi could do was laugh at his antics, he was a grown man acting like a five year old, but she found it so cute. On her last attempt at a throwing her dart he bumped her, and she almost fell. He caught her in his arms, and she caught a whiff of his expensive cologne. He smelled so heavenly she almost forgot where she was.


He had to admit she felt nice in his arms, but he was all about the no love movement, no woman no problems. That’s at-least what he thought. He couldn’t even tell her his real name, so why would he be interested in doing anything he shouldn’t have being doing with her? Even if she smelled like freshly cut strawberries; his favorite fruit, he knew he couldn’t go there. She was just a cool girl, maybe they could be just friends. He finally let her go and she flashed him a coy smile.


“Let’s play air hockey”, she said challenging him with a smirk for the ages.


This girl was too competitive, but she kept him on his toes. Once again he found himself liking one of her traits. Maybe he should back off before he got too comfortable for his liking. He thought about it and he had the perfect solution to his problems.

“Another round!” he shouted!