Prologue

Fried Tofu and Bad Decisions

Previously on Moonlight Princess...

 


 

“I-I…” Dahyun sniffed, trying to keep her voice steady enough to tell of her greatest mistake in life so far. “I broke up with Momo.”

 

Dahyun broke down once more, burying her face in the comforting bosoms of Jihyo’s warmth. The older girl, for her part, was completely at a loss. The DahMo Couple was one of the tightest ones in the entire JYP campus. Jihyo should know, since she caught the two doing less-than-scrupulous things behind trees and in the shadows of buildings so many times in the past. Both of them got whacks on the head because of it, but if anything it didn’t make them any smarter, only bolder. And dumber, somehow.

 

But breaking up? This was a new height of the craziness for the two girls. Breaking up? Jihyo couldn’t believe it for one second. And yet the proof was right there dampening her blouse with tears. Breaking up? What possible reason could exist in the world that could break the two of them apart? They were inseparable, like the sun in the sky, like the sea and the horizon, and like… Momo and jokbal.

 

“There, there Dahyunnie…” Jihyo the girl’s hair, her mind going through every possible reason for their breakup. She didn’t know where to start comforting the girl, and more importantly helping them reconcile, without knowing the root cause. For the first time in a long while, Jihyo was stumped. As with most things involving Momo and Dahyun, the reason was most likely a mystery wrapped in a whole lot of misunderstandings.

 

So Jihyo fell back to her last resort. “Do you want to talk to me about it?”

 

“I-I don’t want to trouble you, unnie… It’s my problem. I’ll deal with it. But thank you for being here with me.”

 

“Sure, Dahyunnie. Just know that whenever you need someone to talk to, I’ll be there.”

 

“Thanks, unnie. That means a lot to me.”

 

They stayed like that for a while, Jihyo holding onto Dahyun, Dahyun sniffling with head still buried in Jihyo’s chest. Patience. Patience. Jihyo wanted to know what happened, but patience was key. And eventually, it paid off. “I’m really stupid,” Dahyun said. “I broke up with Momo over a totally stupid reason.”

 

Jihyo kept quiet. Like a hunter, she hid in the bushes of silence, waiting for the dubu to jump out and reveal what she’d been wanting to hear. Eventually, she did.

 

“Just because Momo told me my cooking ... Just because of that I broke up with the person I love the most.”

 

Of course.

 

The reason was definitely a mystery wrapped in a whole lot of… well, Jihyo couldn’t think of a word for it.

 

Only one.

 

“…What?”