Ok but... is this a real date?

Is this a real date?

~A/N: For immavirruss, sorry it's a little late! Happy late birthday!

 

"You look like a lovesick puppy," Taehyung commented dryly staring at Jungkook who was staring across the cafeteria at Jimin who was currently in line with their friend Hoseok getting lunch.

"I do not," Jungkook denied tearing his eyes away from Jimin's side profile and looking down at his packed lunch. He began aggressively attacking his food wishing his mom hadn't packed his lunch so he'd have been able to wait in line with Jimin. And before you say it, no Jungkook was not whipped. He just liked being in Jimin's presence and enjoyed talking to the elder.

"You should really take Jimin out on a date," Taehyung said matter of factly to Jungkook while taking a bite out of his sandwich.

"We're not dating though?" Jungkook said while raising an eyebrow at Taehyung.

"Well obviously. You need to take him out on a date to be dating."

"No I'd have to ask him out first to be dating and we both know there's no way he'd say yes."

"Actually that's just you who thinks that. Personally, I think he'd say yes," Taehyung said with a shrug.

"No no, he sees me as nothing more than a friend. His best friend only second to you who he considers his soulmate," Jungkook said bitterly. Why couldn't he be considered Jimin's soulmate? It sounded better than being just a best friend in Jungkook's opinion.

"Hey don't hate. You two have only known each other like half a year, Jiminie and I have known each other since we were babies, it's only natural we're soulmates."

"Whatever you say hyung," Jungkook said with a sigh.

"If you're gonna listen to whatever I say, then I say just ask Jimin out."

"Not happening."

"Whyyy, being his soulmate and all I should know how he'll respond and I say he'll say yes!"

"You don't know that for sure. I don't want to risk rejection, I don't think I could handle it," Jungkook said with a sigh. He really meant that. Jungkook might seem impassive to most people, but really he was very shy. He feared being judged just like anyone else and so he avoided socializing most of the time. It took a while for people to get close to him, and even longer for him to open up to them. Being reserved was his way of protecting himself from rejection of any kind. He didn't think he could handle rejection from anyone, much less Jimin.

"You're too hard on yourself sometimes," Taehyung said with a quiet sigh just as Jimin and Hoseok returned to the table with their food.

"So what did we miss?" Jimin asked as he took a seat beside Jungkook and across from Taehyung. Hoseok took the seat beside Taehyung and gave the younger his pudding.

"Thank you hyung!" Taehyung said taking the pudding and beaming at the eldest.

"Anything for you Tae," Hoseok responded with a dopey smile. Now that was whipped in Jungkook's opinion. Hoseok and Taehyung really were the cutest couple on campus.

"You didn't miss anything hyung, we were just talking about upcoming assignments," Jungkook answered Jimin.

"Oh was Tae telling you about the one we got for our history midterm? Ugh, I don't even want to think about that, it sounds like so much work!" Jimin complained while digging into his spaghetti.

Jungkook watched him eat while the others began to engage in conversation. It always pleased him to see Jimin eating well, it was only a couple of months ago that Jimin had been on a strict diet, and Jungkook hated how strict it had been. Jungkook never understood why Jimin had felt the need to diet, Jimin was perfect just the way he was.

"Jungkookie?" Jimin called out waving a hand in front of Jungkook to get his attention. Jungkook hadn't even realized he'd been lost in his own head until that moment.

"Y-yes?" Jungkook asked feeling embarrassed.

"You're staring at me and my spaghetti really hard, do you perhaps want some?" Jimin asked offering to give him some but Jungkook quickly shook his head while feeling more embarrassed.

"No hyung, it's ok! I just got lost in thought and happened to be staring at you is all!" Jungkook was quick to explain himself. From across the table, Jungkook could hear both Hoseok and Taehyung snickering and he glared at them.

"Oh, what were you thinking about?" Jimin asked innocently.

"Nothing really. Just random thoughts," Jungkook answered.

"Hmm... ok," Jimin said not seeming to quite believe him, but Jimin knew Jungkook wasn't one to share his thoughts unless he wanted to so Jimin wouldn't push.

The quartet continued eating and talking until lunchtime was over. Then they all went their separate ways to their respective fifth-period class. Jungkook spent the rest of his day paying attention to the lectures and doing his assignments, though he felt more drained as the day wore on.

Finally, classes were over and it was time to go home. Jungkook packed up his bag and headed towards Jimin and Taehyung's class. Usually, the two elders got out later because their teacher was an who always kept them late to finish whatever topic he had been discussing. Thankfully Jungkook didn't have to wait too long though, the door to the classroom opened a minute after he arrived and all the students began filing out. Taehyung and Jimin were among the last to come out but Jungkook didn't mind waiting.

"Kookie!" Jimin said looking happy to see him.

"Yes hyung?" Jungkook responded smiling at the elder fondly.

"Hobi hyung told me dance practice is canceled today during sixth period, so we don't have to go!" Jimin responded.

"Oh, I see, you're happy about that?" Jungkook asked surprised. Jimin loved going to dance practice and was always saddened when practice was canceled.

"Hmm it's been a busy week and I guess I kind of need a break from everything this weekend even dance," Jimin responded with a shrug.

"Ah ok," Jungkook said nodding in understanding. Being a junior must be hard he figured.

"Speaking of the weekend, are you free tonight? Say around 6 pm?" Taehyung asked Jimin.

"Yes?" Jimin responded silently questioning why Taehyung was asking.

"And what about you?" Taehyung asked Jungkook.

"Yes, I am," Jungkook responded looking at the elder with a raised eyebrow also questioning why Taehyung was asking.

"Great! Because I'm not. You two go on without me. Enjoy your date!" Taehyung said and then rushed off to head to band practice cause, unlike the two dancers he still had after school band practice.

"Did he just..." Jimin whispered staring after Taehyung in complete bafflement.

"Um... I think he did?" Jungkook said not 100% sure they were thinking the same thing but betting they were.

"Well... ok then... so he just set us up on a date?" Jimin said looking up at Jungkook and Jungkook nodded.

"Tonight at 6? What do we do then? Should we catch a movie?" Jimin asked after a moment as he nudged Jungkook forward so they could start walking home.

"Wait... you want to go on a date?" Jungkook asked surprised. He'd expected Jimin to just brush off the sudden arranged date by their eccentric friend.

"Why not? Dates are fun, and I wouldn't mind going on one with you," Jimin replied with a shrug. Jungkook stopped walking and furrowed his eyebrows together. Did Jimin mean this like a real date? Or were they just going out for a night of fun as friends? Jungkook was confused and didn't like the uncertainty of it all. He rushed forward to catch up to Jimin who had continued walking and talking not even having realized Jungkook had stopped.

"So what do you say? Dinner and then a movie after sound like a plan?" Jimin asked turning to look behind him at Jungkook.

"Uh... sure. Where should we meet up?" Jungkook asked.

"No it's a date so I have to pick you up," Jimin insisted with a shake of his head. Jungkook just nodded finding words too difficult at the moment. Was Jimin being serious with this date? Or just making an elaborate joke out of it, going as far to act like it was a date when it really wasn't?

Jungkook's mind kept analyzing the situation and the 'date' they had set as soon as he got home. He couldn't figure it out and it was driving him crazy, especially when he began picking out clothes. What if Jimin meant the outing to be friendly and he overdressed?! Or what if this was a real date and he underdressed?! Either situation would be devastating for him!

"Why is this sooo hard?!" He whined to himself as he practically went through his entire wardrobe. He was so focused on choosing an outfit he didn't hear the knock on his door.

"Um... you ok there Kookie?" Namjoon asked peeking into his younger brother's room after knocking.

"Hyung help me!" Jungkook demanded.

"What do you need help with exactly?" Namjoon asked looking at the mess Jungkook had made.

"Taehyung set me and Jimin up on a date. And then Jimin suggested we got have dinner and watch a movie. And I'm not sure if this is a real date or not. So I don't want to overdress but if I underdress and it turned out to be a real date he'll think I'm not interested, and I don't want that! What do I doooo?" Jungkook whined again looking very close to tears. He probably would cry out of frustration by the time he finally got ready for the date.

"First of all, that sentence should have been Jimin and I, not me and Jimin. Second, why didn't you just ask Jimin if it was a real date or not? And why is Taehyung setting you up on dates all of a sudden?" Namjoon asked.

"Stop being a grammar nazi hyung. And I didn't ask Tae to set me up on a date and definitely not with Jimin."

"But why couldn't you ask Jimin if it was a friendly date or real date?"

"Because."

"Because what?" Namjoon asked.

"Just because," Jungkook answered and then gestured to all the clothes in his room, "Help me pick an outfit already hyung!" Namjoon sighed and entered the room to help the younger choose an outfit.

"I don't know about this..." Jungkook said examining himself in the mirror. He was wearing dark blue skin tight pants with holes paired with a black shirt and red leather jacket with zippers at the shoulders. His black hair was styled back to reveal a bit of his forehead.

"Just go with it. It's not too casual but doesn't look too dressy either. It's a good balance. Jin approved as well and he's a fashion expert," Namjoon said reminding the younger about the text Jin had sent saying he approved of the outfit.

"Fine..." Jungkook said while still frowning at himself in the mirror. Suddenly the doorbell rang and Jungkook knew it was Jimin. He grabbed his phone and wallet and rushed downstairs to meet the elder.

As soon as he opened the door his breath was basically knocked out of his chest as he looked at Jimin. The elder looked absolutely gorgeous. Jimin was wearing tight black leather pants that hugged every inch of his legs accentuating those thick thighs Jungkook always dreamed of having around him when he was having dirty thoughts about the elder. Paired with the leather pants were a white t-shirt and black leather jacket. His blond hair was styled and made him look mature.

"Wow... you look... really hot," Jimin said, breaking Jungkook out of his own thoughts yet again. Jungkook realized Jimin was eyeing his outfit with a strange look in his eyes. Jungkook felt his face heat up.

"T-thanks... you look really good as well," Jungkook stuttered out.

"Thank you~" Jimin responded with a beautiful smile. "Shall we go?"

Jungkook nodded and followed Jimin to the elder's car. Jimin drove them to a somewhat fancy restaurant where they enjoyed an extravagant dinner and talked about a lot of things. It was nice but there were moments where the tension between the two was palpable. Jungkook grew stressed during those moments of silence because he wasn't sure what to do. The whole restaurant gave off the 'real date' feel and they had obviously dressed up for each other. But they were talking like friends still. No flirting or suggestive comments which made this seem platonic.

"The movie doesn't start until 7:30 actually... so maybe we should just enjoy a stroll around the gardens in the back?" Jimin suggested glancing at his watch when they'd finished eating to see it was only 6:45.

"Sure," Jungkook responded and the two stood from their table and headed out to the garden area to enjoy the flowers and colorful fairy lights hung all over the place. They walked in silence at first, Jungkook felt nervous because he was still hung up over wanting to know if this was a real date or not. He only became aware of Jimin's presence again when he felt the elder slip his small hand into his own larger hand and squeeze a little.

"Um... are you enjoying yourself?" Jimin asked quietly.

"Of course... I always enjoy being with you," Jungkook said before he thought his words through then hurriedly added, "are you?"

Jungkook glanced to his side to see Jimin blushing while nodding. "Yea," Jimin said his voice a little high pitched. They continued on hand in hand, just leisurely walking around.

"Hey Jimin hyung?" Jungkook called out to the elder to get his attention.

"Hmm?" Jimin hummed in response. Jungkook bit his lower lip a bit before pulling Jimin's arm and bringing them both to a stop near the water fountain in the center of the garden.

"Um... I kinda need to ask you something," Jungkook started off. He was tired of trying to figure out if they were on a real date or not and so he'd finally cracked and decided to just ask. As his favorite cousin Yoongi would always tell him, 'you gotta take some risks or you'll never truly live', and so Jungkook was going to take a risk. "Are we... is this... is this a real date... or a friendly one?" Jungkook asked nervously.

It was silent for a moment, and Jungkook feared he'd messed up by asking. Maybe he shouldn't have asked? He should have just assumed it was friendly! Of course, Jimin hadn't taken him on a 'real' date! They were just friends after all! Oh god, he'd really messed up hadn't he?

"Um...well I didn't specify cause... I don't know if you'd find it weird... if I said a real date..." Jimin trailed off and began looking at the ground. Jungkook's thoughts came to a sudden halt. Wait... had he heard correctly? Jimin... Jimin wanted to consider this a real date? Did that mean... was it possible... did Jimin have a crush on him as well?!

"A r-real date?" Jungkook repeated stunned.

Jimin bit down on his lower plush lip before nodding but adding, "O-of course o-only if y-you want to c-consider it r-real that is..."

"Of course I want to," Jungkook replied back not even thinking. Jimin looked up at him wide-eyed.

"You mean it?" Jimin asked and Jungkook nodded. "I... I've been crushing on you for a while hyung."

Jimin smiled at that as he said honestly, "me too... since I met you actually."

"Since we met?" Jungkook repeated surprised and Jimin nodded shyly, blush high on his cheeks.

"It's the same for me," Jungkook whispered smiling.

"Really?" Jimin asked.

"Yes," Jungkook confirmed.

"My goodness, we shouldn't have waited so long to confess then," Jimin said smiling so much his eyes turned into crescents. "I guess we've got to thank Tae for setting us up on a date then?"

Jungkook nodded realizing the elder was right. Jimin giggled at that and pretty soon the both of them were laughing over their silliness for having waited so long to confess, good thing they had Taehyung as a friend. Who else would have set them up like that?

 

~A/N: Hope you like it!