Nice To Meet You

Conversations in a Diner

Jinyoung is a waiter at a diner named “Food for your Seoul”, it was quite a cheesy name. He worked graveyard shift Tuesday through Saturday. He did not really mind the shift, except on Fridays and Saturdays when drunk people would come in and make a ruckus, and gave the entire staff a hard time.

 

Recently though his favorite shifts were on Wednesday because a very good looking male would come in and sit on the counter at exactly 2AM. Usually only ordering a chocolate milkshake and a side of fries. Jinyoung would simply admire him from afar. His blond hair was always perfectly styled and he was always in a nice suit.

 

Jinyoung wondered if he was only attracted to the other male simply because he wore those fancy suits.

 

“You know instead of staring like a weirdo, you could actually talk to the guy.” Jackson the head cook mentioned. How could he though?

 

“I can’t. He looks like a prince while I look like.. Well, this.” Jinyoung pouted as he stare out the window and at Mark.

 

He only knew his name because Jackson asked him once. Mark’s voice was thick and manly, Jinyoung wished he could hear it more often.

 

“You’re extremely good looking too. Do not underestimate yourself.” Jackson said as he walked away with a fry in his mouth. Before Jackson could

move any further someone loudly smacked his arm. It was Jaebum, the shift manager.

 

“Quit eating the fries! But he’s somewhat right, Jinyoung. Talk to him. Youngjae and I would’ve never worked out if I didn’t talk to him.”

 

“First of all, Youngjae was so obviously head over heels for you since the first time he came in here. And besides, we all know Youngjae was the one to make the first move.” Jinyoung glared at Jaebum.

 

Before Jaebum could make a fuss the bell on the door interrupted them. Speak of the devil, it was Youngjae.

 

“That’s my cue, ladies.” Jaebum walked away and over to Youngjae. He welcomed him with a tight embrace and a kiss on his lips, they walked over to a booth in the far end. They were so disgustingly cute.

 

“Clean up on the counter, Jinyoung. Mr. Good looking spilled his milkshake and if you don’t do it soon it might bring all the boys to the yard.” Bambam, another waiter nudged Jinyoung as he walked past him.

 

Jinyoung mumbled something along the lines of why didn’t he clean it up himself as he made his way towards Mark. When he reached the counter Mark had about twenty napkins spread across the counter, trying to prevent the milkshake from spilling even more.

 

“You didn’t have to do that.” Jinyoung flashed a warm smile at Mark as he took his rag and began wiping down the surface. He could’ve swore he saw the other blushing.

 

“I’m really sorry. I guess I got too distracted that I ended up dropping my shake.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. We’ve had worst.”

 

Mark was hesitant and shy but he begun to make conversation with him. Asking Jinyoung about the worst situations the staffed had gotten into because of customers. Jinyoung told Mark about the time a guy came in wasted and asked for ketchup. The diner was understaffed that time, so it took Jinyoung a little longer than usual to get the condiment and therefore the guy threw his plate across the room and demanded he speak to a manager. He told him about how Jaebum and Jackson being the strongest guys in their workplace, booted the guy out and warned him about returning to the diner.

 

The two males continued talking about other things, learning basic information about each other like names, etc. They slowly  became more comfortable in one another’s company. By the time they realized it was already 5AM. This is one of the reasons Jinyoung loved graveyard shift on Wednesday they rarely got customers coming in and out, and for the most part Bambam took the few that came in that day. Jinyoung snapped out of the conversation when he saw Mark glance at his watch.

 

“I am so sorry for boring you and taking up your time, Mark.” Jinyoung apologized as he fiddle with his apron. His eyes hesitantly meeting Mark’s.

 

“No, don’t apologize. This was nice and refreshing, I don’t even regret getting distracted by your beauty and spilling my milkshake. Anyway, I have to head home now. I hope we can do this again another time.”

 

Jinyoung was dumbfounded by Mark’s confession. He simply waved goodbye followed by a quiet ‘See you soon.’

 

Jackson could be heard from the back squealing and screaming ‘I told you so!!’

 

"My boy’s about to get some real soon.” Bambam appeared from behind him and hugged him by the shoulders.

 

Part of Jinyoung wished he was right but he would never admit that outloud.