Chapter 1

Blooming

 

The longer Baekhyun's staring at the bulletin board, the lesser he believes in what he sees.

 

"This must be a joke."

 

Chanyeol, standing next to him, pulls a face.

 

"Probably not? I mean, they must double-check these announcements before putting them up or something."

 

"Then they should triple-check it. I can't be in Class D. I did okay on the finals."

 

'Okay' is a very fitting term for Baekhyun's grades. He pulled through the year without getting more work done than necessary and the few all-nighters he pulled before exam week helped little to nothing.

 

Still, sorted to Class D baffles him.

 

"I should be in Class C. Like you."

 

There's the other thing - Chanyeol stayed in Class C? How? Chanyeol copied some answers from him and he's in a better class. That's unfair in Baekhyun's opinion.

 

Chanyeol shrugs, causing the strap of his shoulder bag almost slip off his shoulder.

 

"So what? We learn the same thing anyway. We can still hang out- or wait, is it about your dad? Shoot. He won't do anything to you, right?

 

Baekhyun can't help but sigh at the ridiculousness of all.

 

"Stop, you make it sound like I'm getting punished or anything like that... I might be in a bit of a trouble, though."

 

"You told him you'll improve your grades, didn't you?" Chanyeol guesses it right away. The two of them haven't been best friends for over ten years for nothing.

 

Baekhyun nods and kicks a pebble away.

 

"Yeah. And he doesn't take it easy when he's lied to."

 

"Hey, don't call it a lie. You didn't fail on purpose- I mean."

 

"Thank you very much."

 

Chanyeol bites his lip.

 

"You know that's not what I was aiming at. I'm just clumsy with talking."

 

"Sure, I know you. Don't press on it." Baekhyun reassures his friend before briefly glancing at the board again. "At least I have room for improvement now, I guess."

 

It's a real big amount of positive thinking but it's comforting in a way. Baekhyun hopes it'll comfort his parents too, when they get the report.

 

"See, that's true. And if we need help, we can always ask Kyungsoo." Chanyeol agrees. "He's only isn't in A cause Chinese isn't his forte."

 

"What did you just say?"

 

Kyungsoo appears next to them like a shadow. That's nothing unusual so Baekhyun doesn't even flinch but Chanyeol clutches his chest with a gasp, somehow still surprised.

 

"God, Soo..."

 

"I'm pretty sure that's not what you said." Kyungsoo deadpans and fixes the wide-brimmed, black glasses on his nose. Black like his soul, as Baekhyun once quipped, resulting in a big slap on his back right after. "I'm only not good at Chinese because I have no one to practice with."

 

"We're always available."

 

"You both " is Kyungsoo's answer to Baekhyun's proposal. "As well as everyone else I know. If I don't find a good teacher this year, I'm in trouble."

 

Chanyeol sighs and puts a hand around each of his smaller friends' shoulder in a friendly-like grip.

 

"You're in trouble, him in trouble... I say you're overreacting. We can solve this together. We're all in this together."

 

Kyungsoo visibly cringes.

 

"Please never say that again."

 

Baekhyun grins. Chanyeol doesn't only at Chinese but at English too. It's a relief (and sometimes it's a blessing), he's such a nice person to be around in Korean. But yeah, they're experiencing the same and while they're suffering, they could might as well pull each other out of it.

 

They're about to walk up the stairs to the school building, when Chanyeol, being the tallest out of them, notices Jongin dashing down the street, a determined look in his eyes, looking at them straight.

 

"Do you think he has something to say?"

 

"Whatever, it can wait until first break." Kyungsoo shrugs it off, clearly not in the mood for Jongin's 2nd year problems this early in the morning.

 

Baekhyun clicks his tongue.

 

"And what if it's important?

 

Chanyeol nods along rapidly.

 

"He's in such a rush too."

 

Jongin is speeding up to a pace that might be unhealthy for others. No wonder the coach of their school's football team tries to recruit him every year, not yet successfully.

 

"Okay then you wait for him and I'll go to class." Kyungsoo decides for all of them and true to his word, takes the few steps up to the entrance. "If it possibly concerns me, you'll find me anyway."

 

He's right so neither Chanyeol nor Baekhyun stop him. Instead, they turn to Jongin who has just arrived to them and doesn't even perspire. Despite running a record, he looks sleepy and not ready for school at all – his tie is crooked and half-done, his socks a different pattern each.

 

"Thanks for waiting for me."

 

"'s fine. You looked like you were in a hurry." Chanyeol grins and lightly bumps his fist with the younger's shoulder. "What's up?"

 

"I want to ask you something. Any of you or both of you, whichever works."

 

Baekhyun's eyebrows lift in surprise. Just like Kyungsoo had implied earlier, it was more common of Jongin to complain about things but not asking for favors.

 

"What can we help you with?"

 

"My cousin just moved here and he's attending Hadong now too. But he doesn't know anyone!"

 

"He knows you" Chanyeol states the obvious, only to be shut down by Jongin a second later.

 

"Yeah but he's older than me. He’s a 3rd year, like you."

 

"Then we might as well be classmates." Baekhyun says automatically before thinking of the new arrangement again and feeling blue. Jongin's cousin is probably smart and is somewhere above D.

 

Jongin hums in agreement.

 

"Yep, that's what I'm thinking... Could you hang out with him? At least in the beginning. He's really funny."

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun exchange glances. It's not like they have their own clique, or there were things like cliques in their school in general, and seriously why the hell would they not? They all dote on Jongin. (Even Kyungsoo, he's just grumpy in the morning.) Anyone related to Jongin has to be at least half as nice as him too.

 

"Sure." Chanyeol answers before Baekhyun could. "Which class he's going to?"

 

"I don't know, I forgot to ask."

 

"Hey, Kim Jongin... Ah, good morning."

 

It's one of Jongin's classmates, Seulgi. She looks a bit sheepish finding her peer with the two upperclassmen.

 

Chanyeol lifts his hand for a wave. Baekhyun just nods.

 

"Good morning, Seulgi."

 

"If you're going to be late again, Miss Choi ends you." The girl switches back to the friendlier tone with Jongin. "Hurry up."

 

"Okay, okay. Hyungs, if you see Sehun, tell him it's his turn to book the table."

 

"Yes, we will." Chanyeol promises then when the youngsters are out of the picture, adds smugly. "They're booking a table at lunch for each other. Where are we, in middle school?"

 

Baekhyun chuckles.

 

"Something like that."

 

"I don't think Sehun's going to make it on time. He's probably still on the bus. Let's go in and- wait, what was Jongin's cousin's name again?" Chanyeol stops when they're standing on the corridor.

 

Baekhyun has no idea. He either didn't pay attention or Jongin forgot to say it.

 

"There aren't many new kids a year. We'll probably recognize him." He says to which Chanyeol hums meaningfully. "What?"

 

"If he's in your class, he's your responsibility. If he's in mine, he's mine."

 

At the sudden proposal, Baekhyun gasps.

 

"Hey, we were both asked!"

 

"Any of you or both of you, isn't this how Jonginnie said?" Chanyeol smirks and swinging his bag back to his place, looks back at Baekhyun, his eyebrows wiggling. "We'll see who has better luck."

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Does he have a choice? They promised to help, after all. Not to mention, what are the chances Jongin's cousin is in Class D right from the start? Pretty much zero.

 

"Yeah, whatever. Good luck, loser!"

 

"We'll see at lunch, who's a loser!" Chanyeol exclaims then disappears behind the door of his classroom, as well as Baekhyun.

 

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

 

"Children, welcome Student Kim Jongdae. He's originally from Bongso High, Siheung. You might remember their choir taking the Grand Price from our choir last year."

 

Baekhyun blinks rapidly from his seat in the back, on the left. It isn't just for Mr. Kang's salty introduction but for the fact Kim Jongdae is probably Jongin's cousin. They're both Kims. And if that wasn't enough, Jongin once dodged them on a summer vacation because he went to visit relatives to Siheung. It all adds up. Except one thing.

 

Jongdae looks nothing like Jongin.

 

For once, he's smaller. Tiny, almost. His hair is dark, with his bangs falling over his eyes a little. He's wearing the Hadong uniform – white shirt, green tie, green pants, green blazer and ugly shoesbut he probably got it last minute 'cause the sleeves of the blazer look too tight on his arms and the pants are an inch shorter than they should be. If Principal Jung catches him, he's dead meat.

 

Student Kim Jongdae smiles awkwardly at Mr. Kang for the salty introduction. It's not an honest smile but Baekhyun likes it anyway. He's good looking too. Not in the way Jongin is but he is good-looking nonetheless. It must run in their bloodline?

 

"Thank you, Mr. Kang."

 

"Say hi to your class, Student Kim."

 

"Hi everyone!'

 

He sounds cheerful like he's actually happy to meet his new classmates. Baekhyun wholeheartedly greets him back in chorus with the others. Jongdae continues smiling. Baekhyun quickly decides he must be someone easy to like- just like Jongin. No way he's not Jongin's cousin at this point.

 

Mr. Kang carries his gaze around the class thoughtfully.

 

"Now, where should I make you sit?"

 

Two girls in the front row, Hyejung and Saemi, smile up at Jongdae sweetly. Of course, they want the new hot guy to sit with them. And they're not the only ones: Chanhyuk a seat before Baekhyun and Jihyun far in the back look interested as well. Baekhyun's now not really sure Jongdae needs Jongin's contribution to get himself company.

 

Baekhyun looks up at Jongdae, curious if he's still happy and not a nervous wreck a new student usually is, only to find Jongdae staring right at him. He has something in his eyes that sends a chill down Baekhyun's spine and they keep eye contact for a long second before Baekhyun turns back to the actually interesting History lesson they're at in the book. That was intense. He was looking at him almost like he knew him? Which is crazy.. Unless Jongin talked about them to Jongdae. Maybe Jongin gave Jongdae a quick rundown on who's who among his friends?

 

Whatever it is, Baekhyun doesn't have to think too much. He promised Jongin to keep an eye on his cousin so before anyone could make their claim, Baekhyun's hand shoots in the air.

 

Mr. Kang's eyebrows raise above his glasses and disappear in his hair.

 

"Yes, Baekhyun?"

 

"Um, if no one is volunteering, Jongdae can sit here."

 

"Maybe it'd be better if Jongdae sat in the front row, he has a lot to get used to, after all." Hyejung says right afterwards. Baekhyun sends her a death stare. Her hormones might be raging but he has a friend duty to do.

 

Their head teacher scoffs.

 

"This is the most enthusiastic I've seen you in a while... I'm washing my hands off this. Jongdae-ssi, choose wisely."

 

Those two seconds Jongdae is hesitating is enough to have Baekhyun on the edge of his seat. Which is stupid, if we consider he doesn't even know the guy; and that even if they're not sitting together, they can still hang out. And yet, Baekhyun feels somewhat victorious when Jongdae points at the seat next to him.

 

"I'd like to sit there, Teacher Kang."

 

Those who have been secretly hoping they get the attention of the new hot guy, eerily silence. Hyejung sticks her tongue out at Baekhyun before turning back to the front – but Baekhyun misses it because Jongdae is coming towards him.

 

He sits down to the empty seat and smiles at Baekhyun. It's a different smile from earlier, warmer somehow.

 

"I'm Jongdae. Nice to meet you."

 

Baekhyun basks in it for a moment before answering.

 

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Baekhyun."

 

"Thanks for the offer. That was very gentlemanly of you." Jongdae continues, his voice very nice sounding. Maybe he was part of the choir Mr. Kang is still angry over? "Do you always do this to new people or is it just me?"

 

Baekhyun gasps. This is the part he should think what's betterlet Jongdae know he's not a weirdo, he's doing a favor for his cousin or don't let Jongdae know and possibly come off as a weirdo but at least Jongdae won't feel awkward? At the moment Jongdae looks far away from awkward but maybe Jongin's good intention could hurt his pride in a way.

 

Well, one thing for sure, Baekhyun overthinks this a little.

 

"I’m a people person." He blurts out at the end.

 

Jongdae chuckles quietly.

 

"I see."

 

They don't talk much for the rest of the class because Mr. Kang pays a lot of attention to the new student all throughout and with Jongdae already handicapped by being an ex-student of Bongso out of all schools, Baekhyun concentrates on the chapter instead and lets Jongdae do the same.

 

But when class is over, Jongdae immediately starts talking.

 

"Not to be mean or anything, but is Mr. Kang always like this?"

 

Baekhyun, who has just bit into an apple, coughs.

 

"No.. khm, I mean, Mr. Kang is usually okay. It's just he's really enthusiastic about anything related to Hadong. He's like the school's Number One Fan, you know? When Bongso took the trophy home last year at the choir regionals, he was outraged. Some say he had one too many drinks at the after party and passed out on the bus ride back. Which is possible 'cause Mr. Kang can be like that sometimes but..."

 

Just where is he going with this? Baekhyun doesn't know, the words stumble out of his mouth one after another, seeing Jongdae listening to him so well.

 

"I've never thought winning a choir competition could make a History teacher upset."

 

"He never confirmed it, and probably never will, so it remains another rumor going around Hadong. Case closed." Baekhyun concludes before asking something that has been on his mind the first second. "You were part of the choir at Bongso?"

 

Jongdae nods, his expression nostalgic.

 

"I was. It was great. I like singing."

 

"It figures."

 

"Yeah, valid reason to do choir."

 

"No, I mean your voice. It's really nice."

 

Just when Jongdae looks at him suddenly, does his own words register in Baekhyun's head. He stops munching on his apple with a big gulp. That was one smooth compliment, since when can he do those?

 

Jongdae - even if he might find it weird, Baekhyun doesn't know - doesn't dwell on it.

 

"Thanks. I like your voice too. Do you sing?"

 

"At karaoke, a lot."

 

"Not choir?"

 

"No, not that." Baekhyun denies immediately. "I have enough with school and hapkido."

 

Jongdae's eyes light up.

 

"You do martial arts? Cool~ I've always wanted to try something but somehow I have never happened to actually start."

 

“Well, here in Hadong there are all kind. Taekwondo, judo, hapkido... Each year we held something called ‘Club Week’ where you can try your hand at every after-school activity Hadong has to offer and if you like one or more of them, you can sign up.


Sounds good. Thanks for the tip!”

 

And they go on for the rest of the break. Baekhyun gets to know a lot about Jongdae, like that he really loves tear-jerking ballads and comedy shows like Gag Concert. He has an elder brother, just like Baekhyun does (except his is probably much more mature) and he watches movies a lot, sometimes more than two per week.

 

"There aren't even that much movies."

 

"There are. But I often re-watch the best ones." Jongdae chuckles and props his chin up on his elbow comfortably. He has taken his blazer off earlier so now Baekhyun can see it with his own eyes how tight the uniform is on him.

 

It's bothering, somehow.

 

"They couldn't find you the right size?"

 

Jongdae blinks, clearly unsure why Baekhyun had to point it out.

 

"Why are you asking?"

 

"I always keep a spare shirt in my locker just in case. And we seem to be the same size." Baekhyun explains. "You can have it until you don't have your own, if you want."

 

It's getting more awkward the longer Jongdae is staring at Baekhyun then his mouth pulls into a delighted smile. Baekhyun wonders if Jongdae thinks he's an idiot. He wouldn't be the first one to do so.

 

"This uniform is fitting. I tried one size bigger than this but that was too big. Why? Do I look uncomfortable? I don't feel uncomfortable. A bit tight at places but that's cool."

 

Baekhyun has "that's the problem exactly, it looks too tight at places" but then gets himself together and only shrugs.

 

"Whatever. I'm not saying it looks bad on you."

 

Jongdae stretches his arms above his head then in front of him, on the desk, in pretty much catlike fashion.

 

"The uniform at Bongso was awful. Students wear lame knitted sweaters over their shirts, not a fancy blazer like this. I feel so classy here."

 

Baekhyun can't help but grin at the other's fascination. He finds Jongdae too happy to share with him Hadong students wear knitted sweaters as well during winter.

 

The momentary silence between them is peaceful, not awkward. Baekhyun finds himself leaning down on his desk. The place where his cheek is touching the polished wood is cold but not annoyingly so. He's watching Jongdae quickly pull out his phone to type away with his thumb. There's a permanent smile on his face. Baekhyun doesn't think he's met anyone who smiles as much as Jongdae does. Or is it just the excitement of a new school?

 

Jongdae catches him staring.

 

"No more words?"

 

"No. I'm mentally preparing myself for Math."

 

Jongdae chuckles and pockets his phone.

 

"Is it the subject or the teacher?"

 

"Kind of both." Baekhyun pouts then asks hopefully. "Are you good at Math?"

 

"Sadly, no."

Why did Baekhyun even got his hopes up? There might literally no one in this world who’s in high school and good at Math. (Not even Kyungsoo, he just tortures himself until he can make others believe he gets it when actually, he isn’t.)

 

"Well, you’re not alone..."

 

"Good to know. But at the same time, not so good for us." Jongdae says with a bittersweet grin.

 

In Baekhyun's opinion, this is the best time to ask why Jongdae's in Class D right from the start but he doesn't have the heart to. What if Jongdae stops smiling? Baekhyun would hate to be the person behind it. (Not to mention, Jongin wasn't happy to find out, his cousin isn't treated right but Baekhyun has already forgotten he's doing a favor for a friend.)

 

Instead, he says:

 

"I meant it. We have a study group. You can join, if you want."

 

"Really? That’s great... Back in Bongso, we had a study group too. It was great until it lasted." Jongdae shares before cleaning his throat and turning to Baekhyun with renewed enthusiasm. “Which lesson you’re at in the book? We used the same books in Siheung, I’ve checked, but I might be a chapter or two ahead.”

 

Baekhyun opens his book without a word and gently pushes it to Jongdae’s side. He’s looking through the chapter thoroughly, maybe a bit too much so. When he’s finished, Jongdae looks back at Baekhyun triumphantly.


“I’m positive we learnt this before.”



“Good for you” says Baekhyun cause he can’t do anything else with it.

 

Jongdae laughs.

 

“Don’t be stupid. Of course, I brought it up so I can help you. I have a lot to give back after such a welcoming attitude.”

 

Baekhyun looks away, bashful for some reason. He might have gone a bit overboard with keeping company? Funny, he didn’t notice it.

 

He’s about to thank Jongdae and refuse his offer, Baekhyun wasn’t nice to him for that, but before he could, an ambiguous shadow looms over them and as Baekhyun looks up, oh no, not again.

 

“Well, well, look who’s sitting in Class D. And you’ve got company, too.”

 

 

 

 

 

that's it for the very first chapter! what do you think? pls don't ask what took me so long, i have no idea either orz. i'll try bringing the next one sooner. see you soon!
bye: lea