one.

paper crowns

 

one.

 

"jeon jungkook, you little !" soyeon screeched wildly, stomping her heels across the foyer in anger. once again, her annoying of a twin brother had "borrowed" her bugatti veyron without asking for her permission first. nevermind the fact that she would never have said yes to him anyway -- jungkook had a little naughty habit of underground street-racing and had totaled more than one of his precious babies -- but he had plenty of his own lamborghinis, teslas, and bmws sitting in the garage.

soyeon only had the one veyron, mostly because a) she'd always been daddy's favorite and b) she had supplemented the original million-dollar budget with her income as a fashion blogger and instagram model. her father was a self-made entrepreneur, so he had no problem with her work if it made her enough money to spend however she wanted. besides, her business sense had always been better than jungkook's.

(yes, she had a vyrus motorbike too, but that was irrelevant. she outright refused to scuff her louboutins on her first day of classes.)

cursing under her breath, soyeon grabbed her phone and called for backup. 

◆◆◆

"you are sooo lucky i didn't go to the darkroom today," chungha gleefully announced as soyeon moved to get into the passenger seat of her porsche 911 turbo. "eunbi always gets to school at six-thirty in the morning. imagine if you had to call seulgi instead."

soyeon was mildly horrified at the thought. seulgi was very, very particular about the way she liked things done. "i'd rather call a towncar and choke on old leather fumes," she said seriously. "hell, i'd rather call jungkook. didn't basketball pre-season start two weeks ago? somi was talking about how seul was on the ing warpath these days."

chungha snickered in response. "when is she not on the warpath? but we love that anyway."

"amen to that." 

◆◆◆

seulgi got to campus early enough to drop off her trusty balenciaga duffel at the girls athlete's locker room. sipping on her protein shake, she made her way out of the gym and headed to her first class.

"looking pissy as usual, princess."

seulgi sighed at the sound of the deep voice and turned around. "what a surprise, sehun. excuse me as i run away before your hair blinds me entirely."

"hey, the hair is off-limits!" sehun said defensively as he raised one of his hands to gently pat his fire-engine red locks, speedwalking to catch up to her as she turned back around to continue on her way. "too far, seulgi."

"maybe you should have considered that before you used the p-word." she loathed being called princess, and sehun knew it. princess implied she'd been ing handed everything on a silver platter, which was far from the truth. she'd had to work for her peers' respect, and that did not come easily in their kind of society. 

"wasn't too far off about the pissy part though," he pushed back. "i could see the tension in your shoulders when i saw you from across the quad. you need to get laid, woman."

if it had been anyone else but sehun, seulgi would have kneed him in the nutsack and told him exactly where he could shove his unsolicited advice -- up his own , to be specific. but seulgi had built up enough of a tolerance over the years. she, sehun, kai and taemin had known each other since they were babies, as their families had worked closely together as business partners for many years. her first memories of playing basketball had been in sehun's ridiculously large backyard, until her family had acknowledged her burgeoning potential and opted to build an additional wing in their palacial home to house an indoor court. but kai and taemin had gone to yonsei over snu, and now seulgi alone was stuck with the annoying little git (albeit her friend) for the foreseeable future.

"please do not tell me you're offering to relieve my stress." seulgi replied dryly. "i'd rather stab a fork in my eye than find out why half the girls here are so obsessed with you." 

"because i'm handsome and rich, duh. but ew, no. i was thinking along the lines of im jaebum. unless," sehun leered, "you guys have gone at it already?"

"im jaebum, aka the new captain of the boys' team, im jaebum?" seulgi arranged her expression (appropriately, in her mind) into one of pure disgust. "god, sehun, don't you think i have standards? anyway, i'm stressed out about basketball, not boys. my freshmen can't even look me in the eye, let alone make good assists."

sehun rolled his eyes at her. "lighten up. b-ball season just started and you guys were national champs just a few months ago. no need to be worried."

"except that two of our best players graduated and literally all the freshmen we recruited ," she deadpanned. "they're so full of themselves because they were passable in high school, they think that they deserve more playing time when they've literally done nothing to prove themselves yet."

"maybe because you haven't run their hopes and dreams into the ground yet," a new voice chimed in. speak of the devil -- jaebum strolled up to them and slung his arm over sehun's shoulder, matching his steps to sync up with theirs. "lighten up, kang. you don't want to run them off before the season even starts."

"as if i'd ever take advice from the boys league's fourth place losers," seulgi sneered. "don't tell me how to lead my team, jb."

"careful, princess. your pms is showing." seulgi gritted her teeth at that word again, but before she could have the final say, jaebum had left them behind to catch up his friends.

sehun whistled as his gaze darted between the two of them. "i take it back. you two definitely haven't ed yet if you guys still have this much ."

"sehun." seulgi gritted out. "it's not going to happen. he's not one of us." 

"he's not poor, kang," sehun guffawed. "his parents are both chief residents in the university hospital."

"exactly. he's a nobody," she dismissed. "and i don't associate myself with nobodies."

"you have plenty of nobodies on your team."

"only a few, and they get a free pass because they're helping me get another championship this year or else." she stalked off to her class without bidding him goodbye. 

◆◆◆

"taeyong!" chungha smiled and as she called out to her mentee in the hallways of the visual arts department. the boy in question turned around, his silver hair and tall proportions standing out in the crush of the crowded hallways. both she and the sophomore boy were in the photography and film concentration together and had been paired up as mentor-mentee last year. he'd been untalkative and shy at first, but a little coaxing from her and bonding over photography had made him warm right up to her. he always seemed to know about or be in the middle of his class year's drama, which meant she could confirm gossip straight from the source.

in the halls of snu, knowledge was power. and chungha liked having a lot of it.

"ah, hey," taeyong waved his hand in greeting, his other hand carrying his dslr camera case. "how was your summer?"

"same old, same old," she waved off, smile still in place. "though, i did get to travel to canada this summer and got some great nature shots at banff. i'll show you when i'm done editing them."

"really? that's so cool!" he lit up at her offer. he got so excited about photography, sometimes chungha almost felt bad using it as a segue to get information. then again, it wasn't her fault that she knew what people wanted to hear. "i couldn't travel this summer because we started basketball pre-season earlier."

"ah, i forgot that you were on the boys basketball team." chungha made sure to widen her eyes slightly, as if she didn't have an almost perfect memory. one. "how is training going so far?"

"really good, actually!" he replied enthusiastically. "we got brand new equipment for the team and all our gear was upgraded this year. i think it's really helping us improve our chances at the title!"

new equipment and gear? if she remembered correctly, seulgi had been complaining for months about the lack of equipment for her team's weight training program. she was going to have a field day with this gossip. "oh, did you guys get a new sponsorship with nike or something?" two. 

"nah, nothing like that. honestly, it was big surprise since we didn't make the league finals last year, but," taeyong flushed, "i heard the captain is family friends with the chairman of the board of trustees, so they approved more money for the team."

three. jackpot. chungha raised her eyebrows, then chuckled and smiled sweetly. "don't worry, mentee!" she patted taeyong's arm reassuringly. "your secret's safe with me."

◆◆◆

after her first class of the day, soyeon was even more irritated at jungkook than before, if that was even possible. she had errands to run later, for god's sake. she was getting her veyron back before her last class, one way or another. 

she waited outside his next class, an intro to business administration lecture, and watched as the students began to filter out once it had ended. and yet, jungkook was nowhere to be seen. he probably skipped, soyeon fumed, crossing her arms in impatience. still, it wouldn't hurt to peek inside the lecture hall to see if he was still inside though. she peered through the doorway, scanning the large hall to find her brother among the stragglers.

and there jungkook was, standing with his hands in his pockets as he was busy charming some poor clueless girl.

soyeon immediately stormed up to her brother, feeling sorry for the girl. jungkook was the kind of guy that loved the chase, but never committed. the girl was going to get her heartbroken in less than twenty four hours. at least, that's what she assumed, until she got close enough to hear the conversation transpiring between the two of them.

"move along, . i have a boyfriend." the girl, still sitting in her seat, pursed her lips. it seemed like she couldn't leave because jungkook was blocking her way out of the aisle. 

"i never said you didn't, beautiful." jungkook smiled one of his you-know-you-want-me smiles. soyeon felt the distinct urge to hurl at the sight. 

the target of his attentions silently glared at him with unmistakable fire in her eyes. 

soyeon took this as her cue to jump in. "dear brother mine, why do you have to be such a pain in the all the ing time?" she said, holding out her hand.

jungkook turned and scowled at her. "i'm kind of in the middle of something here."

"no, you're not," the girl sitting down glowered. "can i leave now?"

"hand over the keys so we can put this girl out of her misery," soyeon commanded.

unfazed, jungkook just shrugged and smirked. "sharing is caring, sis," he taunted as he carelessly tossed the keys her way. 

soyeon caught them with her outstretched hand, her narrowed eyes never leaving his face. "yeah, as if i want you sharing whatever stds you've contracted."

the girl he'd been hitting on laughed out loud, bringing her hand to cover a second too late.

jungkook looked slightly offended, but from the look on his face, soyeon knew that he knew he had lost this round.

after he left, soyeon turned to the girl. pretty outfit, she noted. "i don't know who you are," she started, "but i have a feeling i'm going to like you."

"yeri," the stranger introduced herself as she rose from her seat. "and thanks for the entertainment."

"so," soyeon casually inquired as they walked out of the lecture hall, "do you really have a boyfriend, or were you just making that up to get my brother away?"

"what boyfriend?" yeri asked innocently, and soyeon couldn't help but giggle. 

◆◆◆

"eunbi, have you seen the proposals that the student orgs have submitted for the chuseok event? i forgot to turn them into the dean!" junmyeon swept into the cramped student council office in a rush, glancing at his watch as he hurriedly scanned the room. 

"relax, sunbae. they're not due until friday," eunbi assured him from amidst her hefty stack of paperwork. "but if you want to look at the ones that have been submitted so far, i already typed them up and shared them to the online folder."

as student body president, junmyeon was undoubtedly one of the most popular seniors on campus due to the fact that he was a genuinely kind person that cared about improving the student experience for everyone. he was a people person, through and through. unfortunately, organization had never been one of his strong suits.

this was where eunbi came in. during her first year as freshman rep, she had refiled and labelled every single cabinet in the student council's office, mostly for her own sanity. she'd also created a google calendar for the council, not that the event reminders prevented the same problematic few members from showing up late for every. single. meeting. 

at her words, junmyeon visibly looked relieved and grinned at her. "oh, thank god. for some reason i thought they were due last friday. as expected, tiff's little sis is on top of it!" eunbi smiled back at him, waving goodbye as he checked his watch and excused himself from the council room.

as soon as the door swung shut behind him, her smile quickly slid off her face. she blew a piece of hair out of her face in frustration as she attempted to turn her piles of forms and to-do lists. when would people ever stop thinking of her as hwang tiffany's little sister? sure, tiffany had been snu's student body president when junmyeon was a freshman, but tiffany was long gone, attending graduate school in the states.

besides, wasn't eunbi at least on par with her older sister? she was sophomore class rep, student body treasurer, captain of the debate team, and one of the most recognizable girls on campus. what more did people want from her? she was barely getting enough sleep as it was, coming to school at six in the morning every day because her debate practices in the evenings conflicted with council work. she glanced longingly at her coffee mug, which she'd greedily drained hours earlier -- she hadn't even had time since then to run down to the cafe to get a refill. 

eunbi sat up as she heard of the sound of the doorknob turning and got ready to look perky once again, but she relaxed as wendy, and not junmyeon, stepped in. wendy was student body secretary and also seulgi's good friend. like junmyeon, she was genuinely nice. unlike their president, however, wendy was actually competent. eunbi felt comfortable enough around her that she didn't have to put up her perfect front all the time. after all, if wendy could deal with a personality like seulgi's, eunbi asserted that her own brand of cynicism was a fuzzy kitten in comparison.

wendy waved the large stack of files in her hand. "junmyeon just gave me the approved budgets for the semester as he left," she explained as she placed them in front of eunbi. "he said he forgot to pass them to you."

"yippee," eunbi declared sarcastically. "more paperwork for me." eunbi opened up the first file and quickly skimmed through the first page, until one particular line in the spreadsheet made her pause. "ugh," she groaned. "i am definitely going to need more coffee."

"what, what is it?" wendy leaned over the table and squinted at the files to get a better look. 

"let's just say, is going to hit the fan," eunbi muttered. 

◆◆◆

"you did not just say that."

"sorry, seul," eunbi said apologetically. "it was out of the student council's control."

seulgi, eunbi, chungha, and wendy were gathered around the lunch table in the middle of the quad. it was the most coveted lunch table on campus, but everyone knew to steer clear because it belonged to seulgi. truthfully, she didn't care about the table as a societal status symbol so much as she just liked the table and wanted to sit there; the table had the best view of the school fountain and was also equidistant between her morning and afternoon classes. 

and she made damn sure that she got what she wanted. 

"you did not just ing say that." seulgi repeated, closing her eyes and rubbing her temples. "as if the team wasn't already ed enough, they're cutting part of our funding for this year? when we're the reigning national champs?"

"um, it actually does get worse," wendy interjected with a small voice. across the lunch table, eunbi shot her a wide-eyed warning look, trying to convey something like do you want to die or something? wendy bit her lip and trudged on. "the boys team actually got a bigger budget this year."

"what the ?" seulgi hissed. "they got fourth place last year! they didn't even make the league finals! meanwhile, my team works our asses off, we win the league title for the first time in six years, and they cut our budget? that makes zero sense!"

"ah, the joys of nepotism," chungha drawled seemingly absentmindedly as she stabbed her fork at her salad. all eyes at the table landed on her at her remark. chungha looked up and smirked. "what, did i say something?"

"spill," seulgi ordered. the eerie calm of her voice masked what the girls knew was a storm waiting to be unleashed. "and if this has something to do with im jaebum, i'm going to cut a ."

◇◇◇

a/n: tbh i'm not really sure what direction this is going in, so if any readers want to comment about what they liked/what they want to see more of it would be much appreciated!!