Final

The Search

Yi Xing’s Point of View

Yi Xing held onto his sister’s hand as they ran deep into the woods, hoping it will put some distance between them and their pursuers. He doesn’t know what happened, all he knows is his sister ran outside in terror and some of their friends ran off to find her. When he found Xiao Jiao, she was frightened and begging him to take her away. As he spotted the bridge from a distance, he knew he needed to ask his sister what is scaring her.

“Xiao Jiao, you need to tell me why we should leave,” Yi Xing asked. “did someone say something to you? Is that why you ran out?”

“We need to get further away.” Xiao Jiao said as she looked back. “If we are far from here, I’ll tell you why. I can’t say anything if we’re still here.”

“Why? Did you eavesdrop on one of them?”

“I-I didn’t mean to listen in, I just wanted to get away from the party.”

When they arrived at the bridge, Yi Xing felt unsure of crossing it based on much snow is falling. There are two bridges on the island and Yi Xing is unsure if this is the one they used when they arrived. The constantly falling snow covered the sign and he isn’t able to clearly see their surroundings. Seeing how frightened Xiao Jiao is, he took the risk to cross the bridge, knowing it could collapse, while still holding onto her hand.

“Hang onto my hand tightly and no matter what happens don’t let go.”

Xiao Jiao held onto her brother’s hand tightly as he encircled an arm around her waist. Walking slowing, as soon as they got to the middle, both thought they heard the sound of something falling into the water below. Looking behind him, Yi Xing saw the bridge collapsing and held onto Xiao Jiao as they ran. Yi Xing attempted to reach for one of the ropes to hang onto but it slipped through his hand as he and Xiao Jiao fall.

Just as they fell, Yi Xing turned and realized four people were standing there watching them fall. Remembering the sound, he heard earlier, he now realized the rope was cut and someone amongst his friends did the cutting. Feeling tears come out, he embraced his sister, hoping they would be able to survive falling into the icy cold water below.

His last thoughts before he and Xiao Jiao hit the water was, “Why? All this just because Xiao Jiao overheard something she shouldn’t have. You would kill my sister and me just to keep your secret. I thought we were friends!


 

One Year Later

Ming En’s Point of View

The Zhang twins were listed as “Missing” since their bodies couldn’t be found. Some rumors were that their bodies drifted away when they fell in the water. There were even one of those conspiracy theories how someone got rid of the twins because they found a big secret. But their family didn’t give up searching for them, especially their cousin Zhang Ming En.

Ming En didn’t believe in those rumors but he believed in a dream their grandmother had. The poor woman woke up crying, one day, dreaming about the twins begging her to find them before they disappear forever. Ming En made it a mission to search for his cousins and he started out by writing a letter to the people they were last with.

It surprised him when he saw all of them at the port he asked them to go to if they are interested in the search. Honestly, he believed some of them wouldn’t come because only Kim Ryeo Wook, Kim Jong Dae, Wang Mei Ren, and Tiffany Hwang replied back to his letter. He couldn’t help but wonder about each of their relationship with the twins.

Ming En carefully interrogated each of the friends under the pretense of wanting to know how close they are to the twins. Out of the rest of them, he found Bae Su Ji and Lee Jong Suk the most suspicious.

He decided to add the two to a suspect list he made. It bothered him that among these group of friends his cousins had, he believed one or more of them are behind his cousins’ disappearance. Ming En took out a picture from a journal, the journal belonged to Xiao Jiao and the picture is of the friends all together. As he looked at it, Ming En saw how they all used to be happy and close to each other.

“If you’re all such great friends, would any of you bear thoughts of killing a friend?” Ming En asked, staring at the picture.


 

Ryeo Wook’s Point of View

As the search party got off the boat and headed off for the lodge, Ryeo Wook had a bizarre feeling in his heart. He felt that the moment they got here, something bad is going to happen. While he doesn’t believe in ghost, he didn’t want to believe that his friends’ spirit would haunt the island. Maybe he shouldn’t have those thoughts because bad things started happening as soon as night came.

“Who wrote this!?” Si Won shouted, pointing at a blood red message on the wall. “This message wasn’t here when we arrived yesterday! Which one of you did it!?”

The message Si Won mentioned is written with red paint resembling blood and the message reads, “Welcome back, my friends.”

“Interesting.” Ming En said, walking up to the message for a closer look.

“Did you notice something, Ming En?” Jong Dae asked.

“Whoever wrote this…did not include me.” Ming En pointed out, looking at the message. “The person wrote ‘my friends’. It could mean they don’t know me but know you all or they are trying to…accuse me of writing this.”

“We never said we think you wrote this.” Mei Ren said.

“I do think some of you suspect me,” Ming En replied back, eyeing everyone in the room. “Afterall, I’m the cousin of the Zhang twins and usually in horror films, it’s a family member or someone close to the person that tries to avenge them.”

Everyone grew silent at what Ming En pointed out. Ryeo Wook glanced around the room, some of their friends had their heads down, looking similar to a guilty puppy.

“I don’t think you wrote that.” Ryeo Wook said. “Since we were sharing a room, I kind of had a glimpse of you unpacking your bags and I don’t see no red paint can among those. Which means instead of accusing Ming En, I say we should check the rooms to find the culprit.”

“I thought we were the only ones here, aren’t we?” Su Ji asked. “You make it sound like…like there’s a ghost here.”

“It’s possible someone followed us,” Tiffany said. “a ghost would be scientifically impossible depending if it learned to hold onto objects without it falling through its hands.”

A moment of silence went around the room. Perhaps all of them did believe the ghost of Yi Xing and Xiao Jiao is behind this message.

“Let’s take a little break,” Ryeo Wook suggested. “maybe once we relax a bit and eat something, we can get back to this mess.”

Everyone agreed and walked to the dining area. Ryeo Wook stayed behind a bit and took one final look at the message.

“Are you both still here?” He murmured to himself. “If you are…can you visit at least one of us?”

If Ryeo Wook had looked at one of the paintings in the hall, he would have seen the eyes of a painting moving. The pair of eyes watched them when they found the message. When they left, the eyes stopped moving.


 

Su Ji’s Point of View

Su Ji relaxed in her bath as Jong Suk slept, both tired and stressed by the commotion about the message. There was no can of red paint found in any of their rooms or belongings. Su Ji was glad for that because she didn’t like people going through her things, especially private things. She liked taking a bath with rose petals, it always leaves her smelling like roses afterward.

Taking a deep breath, Su Ji submerged herself under the water. She always did this to test how long she could hold her breath underwater. When a minute passes by, Su Ji opened her eyes and began struggling, trying to pry away a pair of hands choking her. The roses were covering her vision of the assailant but she thought it looked like a girl. The person continued holding her underwater as Su Ji reached out to grab or move an item to wake Jong Suk.

With one hand holding onto her assailant’s hand and the other reaching for the basket of roses, Su Ji planned on trying to hit her assailant with it. Su Ji felt the pressure of the hands left her neck, causing her to knock the basket of roses, making a loud clattering noise as she rose up to catch her breath.

“Su Ji.” Jong Suk called out.

Jong Suk rushed to her side when he found her hanging onto the side of the bathtub, holding her neck and taking deep gulps of air.

“Su Ji, what’s wrong?” Jong Suk asked as he rubbed her back. “I thought you were just taking a bath.”

Su Ji was still gasping for breath, holding her neck while trying to speak. Seeing her struggle to speak, Jong Suk grabbed a towel to wrap around her as he helps her out of the tub. Placing her on their bed, he covered her with a blanket while still rubbing her back. When she manages to get her breathing to normal, Su Ji removes her hand from her neck. Jong Suk let out a gasp, making Su Ji worried.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, reaching for her neck. “Is there…”

Jong Suk held a hand-held mirror, positioning to where her neck is so Su Ji can see what is on her neck. Su Ji would have passed her choking/drowning incident as a dream but seeing the marks on her neck prove it was real.

“Where did that mark come from? Are those hand marks?” Jong Suk asked, worriedly.

Su Ji held his hand, placing a finger on Jong Suk’s lips, “Don’t say anything to anyone.”


 

Xiao Tong’s Point of View

Xiao Tong wanted to sleep but feeling restless she chose to go to the library, hoping to look at books that will put her to sleep. She never liked reading, she even cheated on most of the classes she took where reading is required. Her other friends summarized the reading for her just as long as she pays them for it.

Since she cared little for reading, Xiao Tong randomly grabs some books based on the color and the cover. Even when an hour passed, she still didn’t feel sleepy but for some reason, she felt creeped out. It felt like someone or something is watching her, causing her to turn around only to see nothing.

“Maybe I should just go back to my room.” Xiao Tong said to herself.

When she got up to leave, she thought she heard footsteps coming nearby. Xiao Tong head to the back with caution to check on the noise. She used her cellphone as a lamp to help her see the darkened area a bit better. Libraries can be creepy due to their labyrinth-like bookshelves, Xiao Tong isn’t a big fan of mazes since you might never find your way out.

Straight ahead, she saw a book on the ground, it’s weird to her since she knew she heard footsteps, not a book falling. She picked up the book, which must have a lot of pages since its size was kind of thick. When she found the shelf where it fell out of, she put it back in its place. Out of the corner of her eyes, she thought she saw a figure standing there in the dark. With her cell phone light, she shines it on the area.

What she saw frightened her as she felt the hand holding the cellphone trembling. She started from the bottom, seeing a pair of shoeless feet. As she moved the light upwards, she became terrified, letting out small whimpers. The figure she saw is standing there, with a hood covering its face, watching her get scared. When the figure moved one foot forward, Xiao Tong makes a run for the door.

Xiao Tong could hear the figure running after her, making her run faster. She could try to throw down the shelves except they’re too heavy for her. When she looked back every time she reached a corner, she can see the figure getting closer to her. With tears running down her face, Xiao Tong moved some chairs to cut off her pursuer’s path, hoping it will slow it down. Once she reached the door she ran out, not looking back to see if it caught up to her. She let out a scream when she bumped into someone in the hallway.

“Xiao Tong, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Tiffany asked in concern, holding onto her.

“I-I-I have a nightmare.” Xiao Tong said, hugging Tiffany tightly. “Ca—Can I sleep with you? I’m scared to be alone.”

“I think everyone’s spooked by the message so, yes, you can sleep in my room,” Tiffany said, leading Xiao Tong to her room.

The library door was left open when Xiao Tong ran out, a hand coming from inside the library, reached out to close the door.

 


Si Won’s Point of View

Like the others, Si Won was extremely bothered by the message. It bothered him because he always felt guilty for what happened with the twins. He saw everything but chose to do nothing to help them out. Like Xiao Tong, he couldn’t sleep so he chose to wear a sleep mask, hoping it will put him to sleep. After a few minutes of unsuccessfully trying to fall asleep, Si Won decided to go to the bathroom.

For some odd reason, he feels a heavy pressure on his waist as if whatever is on him doesn’t want him to move. He can move his hands and his legs but he can’t bring himself to roll over or push the pressure off of him. An instinct told him to take off the sleep mask to see what is on his body but Si Won didn’t want to. He reached a hand to touch whatever the pressure on his body is and recoiled his hand in fear.

The heavy pressure on his body is human and although he couldn’t tell if it is a boy or a girl. All he can tell about the person is that their body figure is not too big and it wasn’t too small. Si Won thought the figure is leaving when he felt the pressure leaving him only for the pressure to return as the figure slammed down on him. It disturbs him as the figure continue doing the same thing over and over, making Si Won feel as if he’s being violated.

“Go away.” Si Won quietly said, on the verge of tears. “Please go away. Just go away. Go away.”

Si Won continued saying “Go away”, every moment he felt the figure moved on top of him. By the time, it was 2:00 pm, Si Won had fallen asleep and the figure left his room.

 


Three Days Later

Jong Dae’s Point of View

So much have happened the next three days to the search party. It seems mysterious things have been happening to Su Ji, Jong Suk, Xiao Tong, and Si Won. Jong Dae found it suspicious as himself and the others haven’t been attacked by any mysterious figure. They decided to single out those four due to what he along with Ming En and Mei Ren found at the bridge.

“The rope was cut.” Ming En said, examining the wooden post holding the bridge. “If the bridge had collapsed as the report and eyewitness statement said, why doesn’t the rope look as if it broke?”

Ming En showed the picture he took on his camera to Jong Dae and Mei Ren. The rope should have looked as if it was pulled until it broke but it cut cleanly.

“Are you saying that this is…murder?” Mei Ren asked, unsurely.

Jong Dae has a look of realization with many thoughts appearing in his head. One that stood out to him is seeing Xiao Jiao run out of the lodge, a few seconds later Jong Suk, Si Won, and Xiao Tong went to find her. Why this memory is important is that Su Ji who came back with the group yet Jong Dae never saw her leave the lodge.

“Su Ji.” Jong Dae said.

“What about Su Ji?” Mei Ren asked.

Jong Dae took a breath before answering, “When they left to go after Xiao Jiao, I never saw Su Ji left with them. Yet when they returned she just happen to be with them.”

Jong Dae won’t lie that he found the group suspicious when they all volunteer to come to the island. He didn’t want to think friends can be capable of murder but if they are, he wants to know their reasons for it. But Jong Dae cannot forgive them if they were to ask for forgiveness. If they caused the twins to die, he cannot forgive them for keeping that from them for a year.

Jong Dae drifted off to sleep in his room, dreaming of the happy moments with his brother and the twins. Everyone knew how much Jong Dae adored Xiao Jiao who often spoil him with lunches and treats. He never knew if Xiao Jiao returned his feelings but Mei Ren had told him how she believes Xiao Jiao does. In fact, Mei Ren reveals that Xiao Jiao describes Jong Dae as the love of her life.

He wanted to see her again if a time machine existed he would follow her on that day and protect her. Even though a year passed and she and Yi Xing weren’t found, something tells him that the two are still here. Jong Dae opened his eyes and finds himself greeted with the sight of a girl laying on the bed next to him. The interesting thing is…the girl looks just like Xiao Jiao.

“If you’re real…kiss me just like that time.” Jong Dae said, expecting the mirage he’s seeing to disappear.

Surprisingly, the mirage didn’t, she leaned forward to kiss him right on the lips. Just like how Xiao Jiao did when she told him this, “You’re the love of my life, Jong Dae. I can feel it in my heart.”

 


Tiffany’s Point of View

Tiffany always thought to have friends meant that none of them will ever betray each other or do anything to hurt them. It seems like she was wrong about that as she laid tied up with her back to Ryeo Wook. The very four friends that they singled out trick them and tie them up before they could leave to get help or continue their search.

“They’re going to know Jong Dae is missing.” She whispered to Ryeo Wook. “I don’t think they notice yet.”

“Just try to act normal. Don’t let them see that you’re worried.” Ryeo Wook replied back.

If Jong Dae comes back and sees them like this, Tiffany hope he will see their situation and get help. As a precaution, she decides to stall for time a bit by making conversation with their former friends.

“Why are you tying us up?” Tiffany asked. “I thought we were friends.”

The four friends look at Tiffany, making her feel scared as if she felt killing intent from them.

“Why don’t you tell them, Su Ji.” Xiao Tong said as she crossed her arms. “You got Si Won and me into this mess with you and lover boy.”

Su Ji glared at Xiao Tong as Jong Suk tried to calm her by rubbing her back. Seeing as Su Ji isn’t answering, Tiffany wanted to speak out more but Ming En beat her to it.

“Are you admitting that you were behind my cousins’ fall on that bridge? There’s no need to lie when I looked around the area, one of your mistakes is cutting the rope and leaving it like that.”

“Aren’t you a smart little detective.” Su Ji said, scathingly. “I’m sure the next thing you want to know is how we fooled everyone with the truth. Well, we have two of the richest people in our group of friends so it was easy to have them pay for people to cover up the truth.”

Xiao Tong looked angry while Si Won look ashamed.

“Then why did you do it?” Mei Ren asked.

“Yeah.” Ryeo Wook said. “What made you resort to hurting your friends? Is it because Jong Suk was flirting with Xiao Jiao that night?”

Jong Suk looked embarrassed because that day he was a bit tipsy and kind of flirted with Xiao Jiao. He thought no one saw that but it looks like Ryeo Wook noticed it.

“No.” Jong Suk said, noticing the look of rage on Su Ji’s face. “That’s not the reason.”

Su Ji stopped him from continuing, not wanting to hear of how her boyfriend flirted with the very girl she hated.

“Thanks for bringing up Xiao Jiao, I’ve always hated that girl. She shouldn’t have been there when I was talking to Xiao Tong. If she didn’t hear what I said at that time, I wouldn’t have chased her all the way outside just to shut her up.”

“Just for something she shouldn’t have heard,” Tiffany said as anger coursed through her. “You decided to try to kill her for that.”

 


Xiao Jiao’s Point of View

“Please, Xiao Tong. Don’t show it to Yi Xing. I’m begging you.”

“Why? He’s my friend and I do have the right to show him that you’re cheating on him. I can’t believe you and Jong Suk, seeing one another after Yi Xing and Xiao Jiao went on that trip to China.”

“It’s not my fault! Yi Xing always put her before me. He never shows consideration towards me. How is it wrong of me to see Jong Suk?”

“Xiao Jiao is his twin and family. Most people sometimes put their family before their significant other.”

 

The lights to the lodge suddenly went out, causing everyone to panic at the darkness. She grew accustomed to the darkness on that day when she and her brother fell into the cold and dark water. 

“Get the lights, Jong Suk!” Su Ji shouted.

Jong Suk was jumped in the dark by Si Won who is trying to hold him down. Xiao Tong chose to run off to turn on the lights while Su Ji attempt to adjust her eyes to the darkness. The tied up friends try their best to take advantage of the darkness to untie the ropes. When the lights came back on, everyone let out a gasp of surprise at the figure standing at the top of the stairs.

“Xiao Jiao?” Mei Ren questioned as her eyes got teary.

Xiao Jiao looked at Su Ji who was glaring in hatred at her and broke into a sprint as Su Ji give chase.

“Get back here!” Su Ji shouted.

Xiao Jiao ran all the way to the top floor, leading to the rooftop of the lodge. Su Ji continued to chase her, managing to grab a weapon to bring along. Seeing Xiao Jiao alive only makes Su Ji want to kill her even more.

“Why are you running away, Xiao Jiao?” Su Ji said. “I need to pay you back for that stunt you pulled on when I took a bath. You left your disgusting paw prints on my beautiful neck.”

“Well, you shouldn’t have cut the ropes from the bridge,” She said, mockingly similar to how Su Ji spoke to her. “Maybe I wouldn’t have tried to drown you.”

“You seem to have a change in personality. It’s like you’re not that annoying clingy shy girl. I’m surprised you tried to murder all of us.”

Xiao Jiao gave Su Ji an offended look, “Murder? I’m not like you, Su Ji. Since you used to be Yi Xing’s girlfriend, I considered that but now, seeing that crazed look in your eyes, maybe I should murder you.”

Growling, Su Ji tackled Xiao Jiao to the floor, placing her weapon on Xiao Jiao’s neck.

“This feels familiar doesn’t it except I’m the one choking you this time.” Su Ji said as she pressed the weapon against Xiao Jiao’s neck.

It became a choking version of tug and war with Xiao Jiao pushing back while Su Ji pushed forward. While she may have survived, Xiao Jiao is still a bit weak as she didn’t eat much, leaving most of the food for Yi Xing. She didn’t want to give up as she pushed back, feeling herself losing her breath bit by bit.

“Do me a favor and die this time, Xiao Jiao.” Su Ji said, pressing the weapon harder.

Xiao Jiao heard the sound of an object hitting flesh, opening her eyes she found Yi Xing holding a blunt object. Su Ji turned, clutching the area where she got hit, her face a look of shock as she saw who hit her.

“Get your hands off of my sister.”

Su Ji’s body slumped off Xiao Jiao’s body as she fainted. Yi Xing dropped the object as he pulls Xiao Jiao in his arms, comforting her.

“It’s okay. Everything will be all right.” Yi Xing said.

 


What happens as Xiao Jiao got chased is Yi Xing arrived with Jong Dae after getting help. The reason Jong Dae disappeared is he followed Xiao Jiao to the place she and Yi Xing hide out in for a year. He made the decision to call for help bringing Yi Xing along with him while Xiao Jiao went to the lodge.

Si Won and Xiao Tong got on their knees in apology for not helping the twins. The two felt they couldn’t be forgiven even when the twins forgave them, just as long as they can testify against Su Ji and Jong Suk.

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us.” Yi Xing said, crouching in front of the kneeling Si Won and Xiao Tong. “What matters is the part we choose to act on. It’s what I’ve been telling Xiao Jiao during our survival.”

“I’m sorry…” Xiao Jiao said, crouching next to her brother. “I didn’t mean to be vicious when I scared you two. It’s just seeing Su Ji made me so angry I acted without thinking.”

The friends gathered around each other as they each start crying in happiness. Ming En stood to the side, not wanting to intrude on his cousins’ moment with their friends. He shifted his gaze to the harbor and saw the ship arriving.

“Looks like our ride is coming.” Ming En said, joining the circle of friends. “I hope on our way home, you two will tell us how you survive for a year here.”

“Of course, I’m sure everyone wants to know about how we live off on this island.” Yi Xing said.

 


Author's Note

For some reason, after reading this I feel like maybe I rushed through it and might have left out some things. Maybe it's because I was writing this when I feel sleepy. The reason I feel sleepy is due to staying up late trying to finish reading a book, made the mistake of reading a scary book. 

Some of the movies I used as inspiration are IT: Chapter 1 (Xiao Tong), Cabin By The Lake (Su Ji), Tales of Terror From All Over Tokyo and Japan (Si Won). The scene with Jong Dae in bed with Xiao Jiao is inspired by a scene I saw a clip of from a drama called Tribes and Empires: Storm of Prophecy.

Also, the scene with Si Won is not anything naughty, it's kind of based on sleep paralysis, mainly the part where you feel someone sitting on top of you as you sleep.

Feel free to comment below if you have questions or may have noticed anything that I didn't even when I read it over twice.