Final

Second Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One second, one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month, one year, and so on. Jennie made a circle on her calendar with pink marker and sigh. “another boring day.” she said to herself. Kim Jennie, the Manager from one of the famous Electronic Empire from Korea, StarLock LTD. A diligent hard worker, work very very hard just for her family, for her child and for her one and only mom. Yes she is single parent, and marrying a woman. She is bi but her interest toward woman is bigger than a man.

One day when she still 20 she meet this girl, she has charismatic aura, motherly like, and very feminine and…short. This girl is very far from Jennie’s ideal type. She like someone tall, manly, handsome, and continue for the perfect list that every girls want on their mate. What is special for this girl? From her friends eyes she is nothing but for Jennie she is everything. Her name is Kim Jisoo. She is the one who can pull Jennie’s string whatever, whenever, wherever she like. She is the one who lock Jennie’s heart until she died. They have a child named Kim SooYoung or Ella Kim, that Jennie prefers to call her child instead her Korean names. Jisoo died after fight to born her one and only precious love and that’s the only thing Jennie have what Jisoo left her for.

Now it’s been 9 years since her departure, their daughter grown well, eat well, sleep well, healthy and pretty, just like her parents. Nothing had change; Jennie always had time to share with her daughter and her mom, work hard to full fill their needed.

One of their usual noisy mornings, looks like it run on Kim’s family, late.

“Mom, where’s my socks?”Ella shout from upstairs looking for her socks.

“Under your bed honey!” Jennie shouted while buttoned her shirt and walk at the kitchen where her mom busily preparing their breakfast.

“Okay?!” Ella shouted again.

“Jennie can you hand me that plate?” Jennie grab the plate and hand it to her mom and gave her morning kiss before she walk away to get her blazer.

“Good morning mom.”

“Morning honey, hemm you look pretty with that pink shirt-Oh don’t forget your tie! It’s on the table!”

“Got it mom!”

Big noise from upstairs can be hear it echoing on this house. Ella just finishing her morning ritual and marching down from upstairs and went straight to kitchen.

“Morning grand ma.” Ella gave a peck on her grandmother’s check before sat down and pour a glass of milk to herself.

“Okay one tiny heart egg and two sausage special for my little princess.” Mrs.Kim place down her breakfast in front of Ella before patting her head.

“Eat slowly Okay?” Ella nod before she dug her food in excitement. Jennie came out from her study room with her tie hung loosely on her neck while her left hand holding a document and her right hand holding her bag.

“mom you will pick me up yes?” Ella ask while munching her food.

“hemm yeah.” Jennie took a sip of her milk leaving moustache on her upper lips cause her mom chuckle. She gently wipes it away and Jennie thank her with her warm smile. It does remind her of her wife, Jisoo who always wipe her milk moustache.

After they finish breakfast, both Jennie and Ella run toward their car. Jennie turn on her car and wave to her mother, “we are going mom!”

“Grandma, see you!” Ella said after she finished buckle her belt.

“Careful guys!” Mrs.Kim wave back.

.

.

.

Tall curvy girl with blonde hair drop down gorgeously over her shoulder walk out from her office as her left hand got occupied with her map while her right shoulder clad with her pink bag.

“home already Ms. Manoban?” that girl turn around and meet this pretty doe eye teacher, Ms. Lee.

“oh Suhyun-ah, yes. My old friend is coming and I don’t want to be late. I’ll introduce you guys once I pick her up. See you at…dinner I think?”

“sure Ms.Manoban.”

“ya stop teasing me!”

“haha Okay see you at dinner Lisa.” both of them wave their hand and turn around to different d. Lisa quicken her pace and when she is nearing her car, she spot a little girl stood in front of the gate cause her call her name.

“Ella?” Ella turn around and quickly bow to her teacher.

“Oh, Ms. Lisa.” Lisa gave her little nod as she approach the girl.

“What are you doing here?” Ella gave a pout and look down at her shoes.

“waiting for my mom to pick me up, she promise me and this is the countless time she broke her promise.” Lisa look at Ella in sympathy. She is the new teacher at Seoul International Art School, to be exact 4 months but fortunately, staff and students get along with her although she came from Thailand.

“Do you need a ride?” Lisa asked kindly but when Ella want to replay a white luxury car stop in front of them and middle age woman step out from it.

“Ella. Sorry I’m late.” Mrs. Kim said and she look at her left, a beautiful woman bow politely at her cause her bow back.

“You must be..”

“Hi, I’m her teacher, Lisa Manoban. Nice to meet you.”

“oh, Ms. Manoban, nice to meet you too. I’m her grand ma you can call me Mrs.Kim. Ready to go Ella?”

“She couldn’t make it again didn’t she?” Ella said sadly as she bow to Lisa and went inside the car. Both adult look at her sadly before bid each other good bye. Lisa stood there wait until the car leave before she go back to her car and drove away straight to the airport.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Lisa!”

“Yerim!”

Both Lisa and Yerim hug each other and squeal like a teenage girl cause everybody around them turn their head and see what happen.

“Oh god, it’s been 5 years and that’s a lot and long long time isn’t it?”

“Ow yeah and you didn’t grow tall either.” Lisa teased cause her friend broke their hug and glare at her.

“Ya, you never change huh? Keep joking about height you giant.” Lisa hit her arm playfully. Well it still a big mystery how little cuttie Lisa suddenly grow taller as fast as bean sprout after they graduated. Yerim herself still keep thinking that this woman in front of her is not her friend Lisa Manoban but her clone. Yes being hurt for years because last time (long time ago) she remember she keep losing the bet and has to piggy back her cute little friend back home, not being heavy at all.

“it’s good to see you again Lisa-ah.”

“Me too. Come, let’s eat.”

“yeah, food here I come.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jennie drop her bag on the floor while loosen her tie. It’s midnight right now and she really tired. The door from her mom’s room crack open and reveal her old lady.

“Hey honey you are home.” her mom greet her and plant a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Yeah. That one hell of meeting ruin my body. How is Ella?” Jennie ask, worried. She know she just broke her promises again. Her mother her hair and sigh.

“She is in her room all day after I pick her up. Go and take a nice bath girl.”

“Yeah. Thank’s mom. Good night.” Jennie walk in to her precious daughter’s room and slowly open the door. There, her daughter sleep peacefully while holding a photo frame. She close the door and walk toward her daughter’s bed. Feel bad that she broke her promises, she make a mental note to  make up with Ella later. She took the frame from Ella’s grip and flip it just to see her beloved wife smile brightly at her. Her lips form in to small smile as she trace her wife face on frame. She kiss it gently before put it on night stand. She cover her daughter with blanket, keep her warm and place soft kiss on her forehead.

“Good night sweetheart.” She stood up and turn off the lamp. She turn around last time to see her daughter before she close the door and process to her own room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was late, but Lisa and her friend still swam on the dance floor wildly. After dinner with Suhyun they decided to sway their hips on club for end their day. After 2 long hours they decided to end it.

“Oh gosh that was fun!” Lisa said as she sat down on couch. Her friend nod in agreement and hand her another alcohol drink and drink it with all their heart.

“So I guess that you hook up with someone now?” Yerim said as she pour another round on her glasses. Lisa’s smile fade and put down her glass. Yerim notice it but she act she didn’t see it.

“it’s been 15 years now Lisa. I don’t see why you can’t forget her. I think you should move on.” Yerim gulp her last alcohol and pat her bestfriend’s shoulder.

“You know I’m on your back right?” at least the only thing she could do is supporting her best friend and let her know that she always on her back. Lisa smile at her friend and mouth thank’s. She didn’t know why either. Why she can’t forgot and throw away her feelings. It’s been 9 years and she know that her sacrifice is worthed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay class. Quite down. I want you to write down what you feel about your family but specific one.” Lisa said as she wrote down big word on white board : MOTHER.

“I’ll give you 30 minutes started from..now.” After she said that her students quickly took out paper and pen and start to write down on their paper. Lisa walk around and praise some students about how they describe their mother in nice way and when she reach Ella’s table, she found the girl didn’t write anything but only the title : MY MOM.

“Ms. Kim, why your paper still empty? Do you need any help?” Lisa ask, also confuse why this girl didn’t write anything for 15 good minutes. Ella look up and smile sadly.

“I don’t know how to.” Ella sigh and look back at her empty paper.

“Why?” Lisa ask her back.

“because I don’t know  which one should I wrote.”

“Of course the one who born you dude.” SooHee, one of her best friend who sat beside her blurt out before she continue to write down her assignment again.

“You have another mother?” Lisa ask out of loud in surprise.

“Hey guys Ella have a lesbian parents.” One boy said after he heard what Lisa said and the rest of the class laugh except Soohee and Lisa. Ella abruptly stood up and run away from her class, ignoring her teacher calling her. Lisa walk out from her class and run in to Maddie, math teacher and ask her to watch over her class for a while and she run, looking for Ella.

“Where is she?” Lisa mumbles to herself as she goes to library, toilet, hall, everywhere but it came out with empty hand. She tried her last luck on roof top and she finally found the girl cried alone at the edge of roof top. She slowly approaching the girl and sat down beside her. Ella look up and quickly look away.

“Ella? Don’t cry. I’m sorry.” She hug Ella and the girl hug her back as she cry harder. After couple minutes her cries die down in to sniff.

“Is that a shame that my parents are a lesbian? I know I don’t have a daddy to proud of but I have awesome mom who give her life to bring me in to this world and another thoughtful and lovely mother who give her bead of sweat and blood to fulfill my needs.” Ella said with her face still buried at Lisa’s shoulder. Lisa fetl pity for this girl because of her different social status that she have two mothers and amuse how this girl know the situation so well.

“No honey, there’s nothing to shame off. Like what you said you have two awesome mothers that your friends or even me are dying to get two moms. So, be proud of them. I bet them also proud of you. Believe me.” Lisa said while Ella’s hair. Ella pull away and look up just to see her teacher flash her support yet beautiful smile to her student. Couldn’t help but Ella smile back.

“Let’s go and grab ice cream shall we?”Ella look at her in surprise since she also understand recess is 2 hour a head and Lisa notice it.

“Let’s make this our little secret her. deal?” Lisa stuck out her little pinky and got followed by Ella.

“Deal.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Soohee, want to grab some ice cream after school?” Ella asked as she start to collect her things inside her bag before she zip it and swung her bag on her shoulder. Soohee also finish packing her thing and look up at Ella.

“I loved to but what if your mom pick you up?” Soohee know that Ella want to spend more time with her mom since her mom always busy on her work but not that she never lose her time for her one and only precious daughter.

“nah she won’t come like the other days.” Ella said in sad tone. Her friend look at her softly, think that she must be sad.

“Okay.” at least she can do this to make her friend’s mood live again and it did. Ella look up at her friend and smile widely.

“let’s go!” she said as she drag her friend out from their class. They just arrive at the front gate when a black BMW stop in front of them and the driver roll down her window.

“Hey baby. Sorry I’m late.” Jennie said as she open the door and step out leaving Ella stare at her disbelief.

“m-mom?” Ella and Soohee look at each other than look back again at the older woman who smile lightly. Jennie wore plain shirt and shorts to make her look like only 20’s years old.

“ready to go?” Jennie asked as she help Ella bring her bag and swung it behind her back.

“But me and Soohee want to eat ice cream together just now.”

“Oh really?can I join then?” Jennie ask while looking at the young Kim and her friend.

“uh I think we can eat ice cream next time buddy. I just remember I have something to do.” Soohee said as she loosen her grip on their interwined hand but Ella grab it back and look at her.

“No, I just pro-“

“No. it’s Okay. you want to spend your time more with your mom right? I’m really Okay with that. You can make up with me later.” Soohee said as she flash her cute eyes smile.

“What about we go to eat ice cream together? I’ll drop you at home after we finish.” Jennie offer her since she know her daughter don’t like to broke promises she made.

“With cotton candy and watching movie? We have a date than.” The girls eyes lit up after Jennie mention cotton candy.

“Mom you are the best!” Ella jump on her mother and give her tight hug. Jennie smile and hug her child back.

“I know I am. Sorry I can’t make it last time. Come, chop the talking time. Let’s go! Ice cream, here we come!” Jennie cheer cause the other girls cheer along with her.

“Cotton candy!”

“Movie!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lisa and the other staff chat happily about what they would do for this weekend when someone interrupt them by open the door loudly.

“Ms. Manoban!” Lisa turn around just to meet Soohee with worried expression. Lisa walk over and look at Soohee.

“What happen?” Lisa asked. She know something is up.

“Ella.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 A girl sat at outside, waiting at her turn. She had been there for 1 hour yet her parent still not show up. the door brush open reveal a boy with bandage on his head, followed by his parent who stare the girl in disgust cause her look down avoiding their stare. She could feel someone place a hand over her shoulder and when she look up, she meet those warm and caring eyes again. Just like her mother’s eyes that she saw on the picture.

“Ms.Manoban.” Ella said weakly. Lisa smile in respond. She take a better look on Ella’s face and she found buries on her left eye. Maybe because the boy fight back when they had a fight earlier. She still quite amazed how a girl like Ella can beat up a boy like shindong.

“Let’s fix this.” Lisa said while took Ella’s hand and lead her inside her office. Ella could feel warm on Lisa’s hand. She wonder if her mom’s hand was warm like this if she still alive. Ella sat down quietly as she look at Lisa pace back and forth to grab a wet towel and first aid in her office before she approach Ella and squat down in front of her.

“This will sting a little Okay?” Ella nod as Lisa do her job. Ella winch in pain but quickly disappear when Lisa blow her wound while dab her alcohol cotton on it. Lisa finish her treatment less than 5 minutes and praise Ella doing a good job for not crying over the pain. Ella smile widely and thank her beloved teacher. They hear someone knocking the door.

“Come in.” Lisa said as she still wash her hand so she didn’t see who just came in.

“Mom!” Ella said and quickly rush to her mom and hug her.

“Ella, are you Okay? Oh my god what happen to your face? Where is that boy? Let me give him lesson.” Jennie sad as she examine her daughter’s wound. Jennie will never ever let her daughter in pain both emotional and physically. Jennie look up and see the teacher still wash her hand but she still bow her head although the teacher couldn’t see her.

“Thank you miss for watching over my kid.” Little did Jennie know, Lisa stood there frozen. Still didn’t know what to do. She knows this voice very much even after she disappears for good 15 years she still known this voice. She turn off the water and slowly turn around, hoping that she was wrong but God always know how to play with people’s feeling.

“Je..Jennie?” Jennie shoot her head up and widen her eyes. Both of them didn’t move nor speak as their eyes meet. It’s been a long time and here they are, meet in situation like this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Flash back.

Lisa ran as fast as she could, ignoring that she knock people, forgetting to apologise even help them up. She will do that later. This matter is more important than everything right now. Jennie just call her and want to meet her at back yard of their university. For these couple years, Jennie and Lisa is best friend and all of people in school know them almost in and out because they are very humble and loveable. Not to mention they are pretty and talented and have bright future. It’s also been a long time Lisa have secret feelings toward her best friend, Jennie and she want to confess, because if she didn’t do it right now, her heart might explode.

“Jennie!” she shout as she also saw Jennie ran toward her. They finally face each other with Jennie hug her and lift her up and spin her in the air for couple times cause her squeal in happiness. Finally Jennie let her down and broke their hug. She smile brightly at Lisa as both of them still catch their breath.

“I love you.” Lisa stop smiling as she dumbfounded stare at her friend. Did Jennie Kim, her bestfriend who she love secretly confess to her…just now?

“I love you.” Jennie repeat it again as her smile grew wider than earlier.

“I love you. I love you. I love you and I can’t stop loving you.” butterflies on stomach that people talking about is on Lisa’s right now. She couldn’t express how happy she is. She secretly pinch herself to proof that she isn’t dreaming. It’s hurt and that means she isn’t dreaming. This is real, Jennie confessing to her is real.

“Finally I can say it to her Lisa-ah. Finally I did it!” Jennie squeal like a cheerleader and hug Lisa once again. For second time, Lisa’s smile fade and she replace it with little frown.

“Say it…. to her?” Lisa said between their hug. She could feel Jennie’s head nod to confirm she is right,

“Jisoo, I just confess to her and you know what? she said yes! YES Lisa YES!”Jennie said as she hug her bestfriend tighter. One by one droplet of water fall down from sky, evidence that it’s raining but nor Jennie or Lisa care. Lisa finally lift her hand and replied Jennie’s hug. Maybe this is their last hug. As a friend, she always has to support her best friend although she has to ignore her own feelings.

“I-I’m happy for you Manduk.” Lisa said while her eyes filled with her own tears but got covered by rain. Jennie let their hug go once again and smile widely.

“I have to go, she is waiting for me.”

“Yeah, go. Don’t make her wait. Good luck. You have to treat me a nice dinner!” Lisa said while hitting her best friend’s arm playfully and watch her run away from her. After a good distance, she let her tears fall more and didn’t bother to wipe it away. She just hope that the rain can wash away the pain.

“I love you too, Jennie, always.”

End flash back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ella looking back and forth from her mom to her teacher and back to her mom again. Finding that they are staring at each other but nor one of them speak for good time.

“L-Lalisa?” After all this years, that name, that name finally role out again from her tongue after almost 15 years. After she and Jisoo become a couple for couple months until next semester, Lisa leave them without saying anything nor explain why she want to leave. Now, here she is, stood couple feet in front of Jennie like a statue.

“Mom, you guys know each other?” Ella point out cause Jennie and Lisa back in to reality.

“huh? Uh yeah. Long time no see ms. Kim.” Lisa stuck out her hand waiting for hand shake from her old friend. Jennie stare at her hand for second before slowly lift her hand and awkwardly shake their hand.

‘Her hand still warm.’

That’s what both of them thought at the moment their hand touch and they could feel their heart beat moving fast.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Their ride at home with silent. Jennie keep her face straight on the road while Ella keep steal few glance at her mom. The sight when her mom keep shut is scary and Ella know she just make her mom angry with her. After Lisa explain where Ella did get her buries, Jennie keep shut only let it open when she excuse herself and Ella to go home.

“m-mom?” Ella call her weakly but she got no respond and definitely didn’t dare to call her mom again. At the other hand, why Jennie didn’t hear Ella calling her because she keep her mind occupying with another things. She felt guilty for her own daughter because of their status. She know she hurt her but she love her so much like how she love Jisoo. She remember how happy she is when she know Jisoo was pregnant, how they past their day waiting for the baby born and make a bunch of plan for their happy future lives. She love Ella and it will never be fade.


That’s not only the thing on Jennie’s mind. There is a certain girl with blonde and long hair. Yes she notice it. An old friend from her past is a tomboy girl with short hair, always wearing skinny jeans and t-shirt, not to mention her bubbly and loud personality. Look at her now, she almost didn’t recognize her old friend. The way she walk, they was she speak, it’s beyond her imagination. She is so calm and feminine. And the heck how on earth she grow that tall? Last time she remember Lisa and her have the same height.

“mom look out!” Jennie back to reality and quickly turn her steel to left side and quickly turn it back to the right road.

“Oh my god I’m sorry Ella. Are you Okay?” Jennie said as she alternate her eyes between road and her child. Great, she almost run her car toward the roadblock and almost had car accident. Focus Jennie.

“I’m fine, just drive safely.” They finally arrive less than 15 minutes. Ella hop out from car and ran inside her house. She has to pee and call Soohee like what she promise earlier. Jennie step out later after she turn of the engine and walk inside her house with exhausted expression.

“Mom, I’m home.” Jennie said as she walk in to their living room, where her mom watching drama. She sit beside her mom and earn peck on her forehead.

“You are home. How’s your day? I see Ella in rush, what happen?” Mrs. Kim ask in concern. Jennie sigh and sat up straight.

“My day just like my other days if you ask it. But today I got a call that tell me my daughter was involve on a fight and when I go there I saw buries on her eyes.” Jennie sigh again and look at her mom.

“I feel bad as a mother, I can’t pro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter