Chapter 1

jang wonyoung's guide to unrequited love

 

“i think it’s beautiful

the way you sparkle 

when you talk about 

the things you love.”

 

- atticus

 

 

 

 

the day starts as usual, with wonyoung waiting at the door of yujin’s house. she rings the bell a few hundred times, since the latter is usually asleep at that time.

 

it’s 7:10 am.

 

yujin opens the door and looks at wonyoung sleepily, but with a small smile on her face. the younger girl enters and yujin proceeds to let out a big yawn and go back into her bed.

 

wonyoung always groans when this happens, since it’s a sign that they’re going to be late. yujin must’ve stayed up playing video games last night. she nudges yujin forcefully, but the older girl doesn’t even budge. 

wonyoung sighs and begins to put in all the books yujin needs for the day in her backpack. 

 

both girls know each others’ schedules, but each for different reasons. wonyoung reminds yujin of the homework or tests she has and often prepares her backpack, while yujin remembers it because she waits outside wonyoung's class for the breaks.

 

after making sure yujin has everything she needs, wonyoung plops down on the sofa in the living room and dozes off. yujin probably won’t wake up anytime soon, and she doesn’t want to be caught staring at yujin in her sleep.

 

it would be nicer to say she admires yujin’s beauty as she sleeps, but wonyoung does more than that. she stares and contemplates, wishes that yujin thought of her as more than a friend, wonders what yujin would be like if she were in love with her.

 

it’s all wishful thinking, and wonyoung considers herself a realist, so she prefers not to dwell on idealistic thoughts and instead focus on reality.

 

 

half an hour later or so, yujin awakens. she takes a long shower and eats a full breakfast with wonyoung while they talk about how funny it is when yena tries to buy alcohol or go into clubs and is always stopped because she looks like a kid.

 

yena is three years older than yujin but was only two grades higher than her, as she had been held back for a year. 

now the older girl is in university, but wonyoung and yujin always call her their younger sister because of her height and looks. 

 

when they finish eating breakfast yujin grabs her backpack and drags wonyoung out the door.

 

it’s 8:21 am.

 

“we’re gonna be late, as always.” wonyoung glares at yujin, even though she’s not really mad by it.

 

“whatever, at least we’ll see minjoo!” yujin laughs and pushes wonyoung playfully.

wonyoung acts as if she’s hurt and stumbles slightly, making yujin grin. the raven haired girl has been jealous of minjoo for a long time now. 

 

minjoo has been yujin’s crush since the start of junior year and she’s been talking about the older girl for weeks now. wonyoung hates how yujin is always rambling about what she loves about her, or how much she loves her. the words hurt wonyoung, but she notices how yujin’s eyes sparkle when talking about her and quickly dismisses any negative thoughts and instead thinks of how beautiful she looks.

 

 

entering the school they each go their separate ways, wonyoung to math and yujin to chemistry. 

 

wonyoung is greeted by many people when she takes a seat in class. she’s considered one of the top 5 beauties of the school, along with kim chaewon, yabuki nako, minjoo and yujin. chaewon is in her senior year along with nako and minjoo, while yujin is in her junior year.

 

during class wonyoung almost falls asleep, there’s a substitute teacher and he obviously doesn’t know how to manage a class full of hormonal teenagers. hitomi, who has the seat in front of her, keeps turning back, as if she wants to say something, but wonyoung disregards her completely.

 

when the class ends hitomi rushes over to her and punches wonyoung’s arm.

 

“why did you ignore me in class?!” she pouts and lets out a (cute) huff. wonyoung just smiles and pokes her cheeks. hitomi is always cute, she thinks. yujin even had a crush on her once, but luckily, the girl with chubby cheeks was already taken at that time, so yujin stood no chance. 

 

small crushes like that end as quick as they start for yujin, but when she stays more than a week talking about someone, it usually means she’s serious. that’s why wonyoung is afraid that she really will start dating minjoo. she’d be devastated. and hitomi knows it.

only two people know that wonyoung is in love with her best friend, and one of them is hitomi.

 

“wonyoungie! hii-chan!” a familiar voice interrupts wonyoung’s thoughts.

 

it’s 1:28 pm.

 

yujin hugs both girls and gives them a huge smile.

 

“guess what happened today!” she yells, making hitomi cover her ears.

 

“what?” wonyoung tries not to sound nervous, but in reality she’s dreading the older girls’ words.

 

“i talked to minjoo!!!” yujin exclaims and wonyoung feels her heart clench. 

 

she smiles and lets yujin ramble on about minjoo, how she’s totally her type, and that she’ll ask her out soon. all the while hitomi looks at wonyoung with pity.

 

the three girls sit down at an empty table and take out their lunchboxes. yujin’s lunch includes a lot of chips and candy and hitomi shakes her head as she takes out her veggie sandwich and a bunch of grades from nayoung. 

 

“wonyoung? you okay?” yujin waves a hand front of wonyoung’s face and furrows her brows.

 

“y-yeah.”

 

she’s (obviously) not, and yujin would normally be able to tell, but today she doesn’t take notice. she simply smiles at wonyoung and passes her a jelly bean. one of yujin’s hobbies is eating jelly beans and guessing the flavor, and wonyoung usually does it with her.

 

the bean tastes of lemon. it’s bitter like her heart right now.

 

wonyoung spits out the candy as soon as she gets a taste of it.

 

“disgusting.” she mutter aloud and then quickly covers .

 

yujin starts laughing loudly. she asks wonyoung what flavor she got and nods while trying to calm herself down.

 

“it’s the first time i’ve ever heard you say something like that. specially since you’re so pretty!”

 

it’s probably true, wonyoung doesn’t use such words. she’s more likely to say ‘this isn’t very tasty’ than say something is yucky.

 

when she hears yujin say she’s pretty, she blushes beet red and covers her cheeks. 

why does yujin have to be like this? complimenting her all of a sudden minjoo’s the one who will be receiving these words soon.

 

“hmm.” wonyoung nods and glances down at the lunch table, she prefers to concentrate on her food for now.

 

the three girls eat while yujin continues talking about how nice minjoo is, how kind, cute, funny, quiet, and how perfect she is.

 

they soon finish their lunches and say their goodbyes as each of them goes to their respective classes.

 

“wonyoungie! see ya!” yujin winks at wonyoung and waves when they part ways.

 

and while wonyoung sits down at her desk, she can feel her heart beat a dozen times faster.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: oof, i think this is horrible.. it seems too much of an introductory chapter ugh. well, i love the quote at the beginning from atticus. 

i have the whole plot planned out tho :D i do hope i manage to (somehow) improve while writing this!

i can't wait for izone's reality show 'cause it could give me more inspiration to write some one-shots.. maybe

hope you enjoyed!