happiness

When the World went to Hell

 

 

In such a hellish world, Nayeon had hoped she’d have something to look forward to one of these days.

 

That wish she had was very very unlikely to happen of course, but she thinks it’d be a nice thing for her to experience. Happiness and Laughter, those were the things she longed for.

 

But of course, what Nayeon wanted she could not get. Not because she couldn’t laugh or smile, but because it wouldn’t be genuine at all. That much was Understandable, who could genuinely be happy about the end of humanity?

 

The world was ending. People were dying, and others becoming shells of the humans they’d once been, zombies.

 

If you’d told Nayeon that she’d be witnessing the end of the world a year or so ago, she would have laughed and passed it off as any other joke. But now, life before the outbreak seemed so unreal, so happy and enjoyable.

 

She wished things would go back to what they were.

 

Unfortunately for Nayeon, what she wanted was impossible.

 

She was currently on a rooftop of some long abandoned building, clutching her knife and hoping that no undead being found its way onto the roof. If they did so, she’d be dead with just a knife and pistol with little ammo left to defend herself.

 

Nayeon was all alone, and it scared her. She supposed that it’s what she got for being such a bad friend all those years, maybe if she had been a reliable person and friend, maybe then would she be walking on hell’s paths with someone right beside her.

 

Maybe life didn’t like Nayeon, or maybe Nayeon just had a tendency to make very bad decisions. Or maybe even both. It’s probably both, she thinks.

 

She sighed out loud and made sure to not shut her eyes. It was getting late, but she couldn’t afford to go to sleep now. If she did, she may never wake up ever again.

 

But then again, she was really tired, and Nayeon never really made the best decisions.

 

//////

 

Nayeon wakes up to the biggest scare in her entire life as of so far, as she feels someone(or something)grab her arm and she lets out a stifled scream. The person quickly covers and quickly shushes her.

 

“Shh, don’t worry. I’m not a zombie, at least I don’t think so.” The figure says quietly as they let go of Nayeon’s arm. “I’m Momo. Hirai Momo. Please don’t stab me, I don’t wanna die just yet, ya know?” The girl with blonde hair jokes.

 

Nayeon only stared.

 

“Ok, hot girls don’t like jokes, noted,” Momo muttered under her breath and was pushed to the side by yet another person. “Ignore her horrid jokes, really, you’ll get used to them after a while.” The girl with jet black hair said with a frown.

 

“It’s not my fault that people in the apocalypse don’t appreciate art…” Momo once again muttered and the girl with her only laughed humorlessly.  “Hey hopefully this isn’t too intrusive but, what’s your name? And how’d you get this far on

Your own?” The girl with Momo asked Nayeon, and she thought about it for a couple of seconds.

 

“Well, My Name is Im Nayeon. And as for how I’m still alive, your guess is as good as mine, really.” Nayeon said with a shrug as she held her knife tightly. The girl seemed to think about it for an extra moment but shrugged.

 

“You sound like you’ve been through hell. It’s been really ty for us too, to say the least. It’s been a rough couple of weeks, huh? Can’t imagine what it was like all alone. You’re really something, Nayeon. The name’s Mina, Myoui Mina, by the way.” Mina told her with a soft smile.

 

“You can’t be informal like that Mina, I mean, what if she’s older?” Momo commented on the side and Mina looked at her, and then back at Nayeon.

 

“Well, if she is, it doesn’t matter. Who has the time to use honorifics in the apocalypse?” Mina said and Momo stared blankly.

 

“Well, you’re not wrong I guess,” Momo said with a sigh.

 

“Are you two like friends? Traveling together? I wish I could relate, I’ve been wandering aimlessly for the past months because I literally have no ing idea on what to do…” Nayeon said as she stared at her knife. She felt someone put a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Well, one thing: yes we are friends, in fact, we go way back. She’s my best friend actually. And the second thing: Well, we have a goal...if you’d like to join us...you’re free to do so!” Momo said excitedly with a bright glint in her eyes.

 

Nayeon looked up at them, skeptical. They might be lying, probably selling her out in exchange for things. Then she looked at them, directly in the eyes. She trusted them for some reason. Nayeon decided to believe in them. She never made the best decisions, but this time would be different.

She nodded, as to signal that yes, she did want to be with them.

 

Nayeon felt something ping in her body, a sense of emotion, one she didn’t know she could still feel... It’s a good feeling to have, Nayeon thinks.

Happiness.