First Meetings

The Wolf Who Fell In Love With The Red Riding Hood

Tzuyu’s POV

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

I was in a deep slumber when my alarm started ringing. Slowly and groggily, I got up from my bed and turned it off.

Hi, my name’s Chou Tzuyu, 18 years old. You can call me Chewy, and I’m Taiwanese by the way. I used to live in the States, but because of an accident, I was forced to live here in Korea. But I get used to Korean culture and their language easily, so I don’t need to worry about living here. I am also in last year of my senior high school now.

After showering, I ate my breakfast and feed my dogs, Minjoon and Gucci, then set myself to go out. It’s pretty tiring since it’s the first day of school again and I’m pretty much of a lazy bum, but thankfully, the weather’s nice today, giving me a little push to exert some effort for the least moment. It makes me feel calm and relaxed while walking in silence and peace.

As I get in front of the school gate, a girl suddenly bumped over me. She fell back on her to the ground from the impact. It looks like she’s in a hurry because she’s panting heavily. “Uh, Miss? Are you alright? Are you hurt?” I asked in English language.

I offered my hand for her to help her get up. “I’m fine, sorry if I--”, “No, it’s ok. Don’t worry, I’m fine and at fault too. But are you really alright?” I didn’t let her finish because I don’t want to make her worry about me. I continue speaking in English because it seems like she knows how to speak my language fluently.

I helped her on picking up her things that fell on the ground. “Ok, thank you.” After we finish taking all her things, she stared right into my eyes, trying to make me mention my name for her. She’s waiting for me to introduce myself while I stare back, unconsciously observing her face.

I noticed her big round eyes that twinkles like the thousand stars in the clear night sky, only it was day time and the bright sunrays is what shone over her irises that reflects only beauty. I caught the good vibe around her too, as if she’s a walking positive with those kind smiles. This then finally made me think.

‘I guess nothing bad is going to happen when I tell her my name, right?’

Tzuyu or just Chewy if it’s hard for you to pronounce it.” I said to her, giving out a small smile as a respect. “Nice to meet you, Tzuyu-shi, I’m Jihyo.” She said to me and we shake hands, her bright smile never left her beautiful face.

She then said goodbye to me and walk away in a hurry as she looked at her Baby-G wristwatch. While me, I continue going to my classroom, Class 3-A. There’s still less students in the room so it’s not that noisy in the class yet. I took my seat near the windows at the last row of the room. Since it’s still early before the class starts, I just planned to take a short nap.

I was about to enter my own dream land when someone suddenly abruptly disturbed my peaceful space.

Hello there, bro! You look new here! Are you a transfer student? Oh, by the way, my name’s Son Chaeyoung! I used to live at the States when I was a kid, I kind’a speak English most of the time, but I know how to speak in Korean too since I’m purely Korean myself, see? Sorry, what’s your name, pal? And can I be your friend?” A guy clearly much shorter than me chirped happily, bombarding things nonstop as if he’s rapping or something.

He’s pretty cheerful and friendly based from how he looked and approached me. He’s holding the same positivity in him like the girl earlier, just a little different this time.

Wait, did I ever say that I’m not the friendly type of person? I have this cold aura and looks all over from head to toe that scares people away. ‘If not then now you know.’

Sorry, bro, but I’m not your typical social butterfly guy that will hang out with your noisy self or any other people at all. First, yes. I am new here. Second, I’m Chou Tzuyu. And third, no, I don’t need a friend or anything so leave me alone.” I said in a cold tone.

I don’t need a friend or two because I don’t want anyone to know me and my past. I don’t need their pity for it. Getting someone so close to will only result you to become a person with heavy weakness. Affection, endearment and relationships … they’ll only cause you your downfall in the end so it’s better to stay in solitude than pulling other people’s legs with you in the dark.

I don’t accept NO as an answer though, so you should say YES and accept my friendship offer or I will always bother you for it. I swear, dude!” He said in a loud but fully serious tone. His lips are smiling but his eyes are firm.

‘Are you freaking serious!? Will this guy really gonna bother me, maybe until I die, if I don’t accept him?! But I … I … fine! I’ll accept this creep so I can be in peace again!’ After a little war inside my head, I blew a heavy sigh before looking straight at his eyes, still expressionless.

“Fine! I accept your offer. We’re friends now, are you happy?” He seemed shock when said that either because I spoke in Korean or coz I finally accepted his friendship offer.

“I didn’t know that you can speak in Korean too. It seems like I’m wrong. Sorry, haha. Anyways, thank you! Now I got myself my first new friend here! He is Tzuyu and he looks cool!” He said then let out a small chuckle while scratching the back of his neck. He made a hero pose while laughing without worries even when other students looked at him weirdly.

“No need to apologize. Anyway, I’m still not sure if we can be good friends, because if it does, you’ll face a lot of consequences and many difficulties while knowing me so you must be prepared, understand? And tone down a little, everyone’s staring at you.”

Guess I should start to open up to the people around me and I will start it with this creep beside me.

Changing pace is not a hard thing anyway. And if things get out of hand, I’ll just handle them and make sure that these people getting close with me won’t ever get hurt. ‘I’ll never let something like that happen again.’

“Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU SO MUCH, BRO!!! Yes, I understand. I promise I’m going to be a good and nice friend to you, and I wouldn’t interfere with any of your personal affairs so I won’t be a bother. But I wanna ask you something though. If it is okay to you, do you want to meet my other friends? It might help you to open-up with other people somehow. And these people staring thing? Let them be. Make them see the awesome Son Chaeyoung right in the morning.”

What he said made me surprised a little. I gulped deeply on nothing as I process every word he said. ‘Did he just read my mind or something?’

“Sorry, not now. Maybe when I’m ready, ok?” I weakly said as I look away. It was a sincere reply. ‘I do want to change pace, but I’ll go slowly. Rather taking time little by little is a better way after all.’

“I-it’s okay, take your time, bro. Just tell me when you’re ready. No rush, sorry.” After that, he goes back to his seat which is just beside me. He showed an apologetic smile and I just nodded as a sign that it’s fine.

‘This is going to be one lively year, I guess? I wish that everything's going to be alright because I don’t want anyone to get involve to my problems from the past. No one is supposed to be haunted with my own mess.’ I thought to myself.

Minutes later and our homeroom teacher came in. All the students had gone to their respective seats but there’s still one empty chair in front of me.

“Ok, good morning to everyone in here. My name is Amber Joseph Liu and I will be your advisor for the last year of your high school life. I teach two subjects, Math & English. Don’t worry though. I'm not a strict teacher. To be honest, you can treat me as a friend, especially when there are no other teachers around, arasso?” Mr. Liu calmly said to us as he smiled so brightly.

Everyone nodded while some girls are even whispering things about how handsome the teacher is. “Can all of you introduce yourself to me one by one? Let’s start from the first row!” He added and we all obliged.

What the heck! What is this, kindergarten?!’ When it’s my turn to introduce myself, I just lazily said, “I’m Chou Tzuyu, nice to meet you all.” I didn’t even care standing up, good thing that the teacher didn’t mind it. ‘Call me rude, I don’t care.’

“Ok for now, I’ll just give you the topics of your 1st semester.” He said then starts writing all the things we need to study on the board while humming random tunes. The girls are seriously ogling at him now that I can’t help but to roll my eyes at how stupid they are.

An hour passed and the bell rings. Before Mr. Liu got out the room, someone suddenly opened the door which made him startled with widened eyes, spectacles almost falling off.

“Mr. Liu, I’m really sorry for being late. The Student Council had a meeting.” The person, who seems to be a girl, suddenly spoke between heavy breaths while bowing down. Her voice was somehow familiar. Understanding the situation, Mr. Liu let her in and continued to walk out.

The girl looked at me for a short while before taking her own seat which is the empty chair in front of mine. Since nothing important is going to happen for now, I decided to take a nap, but then someone disturbed me, AGAIN. But now it’s the girl who’s sitting in front of me, not Chaeyoung.

I looked at her a little annoyed and was about to say something when she beat me into it. “We meet again, Tzuyu.