chapter one

to dance, to dream, to live

“My dance card is full.”

Mina flashes the list to Momo. She’s not lying: from the first waltz to the final dance, Mina’s lineup is packed. Momo doesn’t know any of the men she’s dancing with, but Momo doesn’t doubt that they’re all fancy and important.

Nothing less for the crown princess.

“You can switch out one of these dusty guys for me, right? What about… uh… Wonwoo? One of the four on there, they’re all practically the same guy anyways, right?”

“Why would I switch around my entire dance card for you, Hirai-san? So you can go giggle about it with Minatozaki-san and Yoo-san?”

Momo at least has the decency to blush. Mina’s gaze drips with contempt as she looks at Momo, and yet, she pities the other girl.

“I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thank you, M— Princess.”

 

Of course, rearranging the dances isn’t difficult. All of these men— princes— suitors are falling at the princess’ feet, willing to do anything for her, just as long as they can look at her a moment longer or exchange a few more words. A whisper in an ear later, and Momo is on Mina’s dance card. This is not the problem.

 

The problem is the uproar that two girls dancing together will cause. It isn’t unheard of, but it’s mostly seen among the younger set, those who haven’t yet learned the stigmas of society, who do not yet carry the burdens of a kingdom. If it’s attempted among those who know better, it is at smaller balls; ones for family and friends or those thrown just for fun. Never, ever, when the ball’s purpose is for a crown princess to find a proper suitor. Mina knows this. Momo knows this. When Mina approaches Momo to inform her that the last spot on her dance card is now free, neither mentions it.

 

“Hirai-san. I have a spot for you.”

“You can call me Princess too, y’know? Being third in line doesn’t negate my status.”

“I assumed you preferred Hirai-san.”

“All I’m saying is that- well- I’m not nobody , you know?”

“You aren’t nobody. N-Not to me.” The princess blushes bright red, but presses on, “I assumed you preferred Hirai-san.” Mina’s tone is stiff, business-like, and doesn’t hold an ounce of the candor she displayed a moment ago. Momo nods in response, but Mina’s already left to find her first partner.

"I apologize, Princess. I’ll find you when it’s our time to dance.”

Momo doesn’t dance until Mina comes to seeks her out for the final dance. Instead, she stands with Sana Minatozaki, her eyes glued to Mina. The princess is gorgeous as she dances, all of her stoicism fading away as she focuses completely on her partner. Momo has to give it to her: when Mina dances with you, everything is that dance. All of the eyes of those who aren’t dancing (and some of those who are) are on Mina. She owns the dance floor, completely dominates it, the quintessential princess.

“I wish you didn’t dare me to ask her to dance, Sana-chan… I’m going to make a fool of myself!”

Sana flashes a quicksilver grin. “You wanted to dance with her anyways, Momo-chan— all I did was give you a little push. I didn’t expect her to say yes, though… Momo-chan, don’t worry! It’ll be alright.” Momo sighs again, not taking her eyes off of Mina.

“What if people talk? Sana-chan, I didn’t expect her to say yeeeees!” Momo turns her back on Mina for the first time all night, getting a full view of Sana attempting to stifle a laugh. She flops down onto the cocktail table they’re standing at, continuing to rant. “And now she did and oh no what if she yells at me? Right there in front of everyone? Or if I trip and fall and then she glares at me with her scary— princess— demon eyes!”

Sana has stopped making any noise. When Momo glances up, she finds her best friend to be completely frozen. “Turn around.” Sana mouths, terror in her eyes.

Princess Myoui carries the unamused expression on her face as easily she does a crown. Princess Scary Demon Eyes, indeed.

“It is time for our dance. If you would follow me?” Mina holds out her hand. Momo mirrors Sana and freezes. Mina clears , breaking the other girl out of her stupor.

Momo takes her hand. “Yes, yes, let’s proceed.”

 

There are murmurs as they step onto the dance floor. Mina holds her head high, not sparing a look for anyone (not even Momo). They step into the centre of the ballroom, Momo trailing behind Mina. As the music strikes up, Mina places one hand on Momo’s shoulder, the other on her waist. Momo places both of hers on Mina’s waist— placing the two girls close together. Momo’s palms begin to sweat, but she supposes that the only other option is looping them around Mina’s neck. Based on the glint in Mina’s eyes, Momo guesses that she may be murdered in her bed if she does that.

Mina leads. Momo doesn’t protest, but she finds herself lost once they begin to spin. She glances around, looking everywhere but Mina’s face. She spots Sana, maybe, a spot of beige in the corner. And Nayeon is in the corner, chatting with Jeongyeon. And—

Mina’s grip on her shoulder tightens for a second.

“Keep your frame, Hirai.” She hisses, voice dripping with disdain.

The last thing she wants is for Mina to be mad at her, so Momo does as her partner requests. She straightens up, strengthens her grip and… oh.

Oh, because keeping her frame forces Momo to look into Mina’s eyes (or rest her head against Mina’s chest, but she’s certain that if she did that, they would never find her body).

And looking into each other’s eyes… it’s impossible to ignore.

Falling in love on a dance floor is horrifying. The eyes of the entire world creeping down your back. Feeling this incredible, amazing, stupendous feeling— but not being able to show it in any way. Your options are limited. You can stop dancing; cause a scene, alienate your partner. You can keep dancing; an equal battle, where both sides know the terms and conditions, but choose to not act on them.

Mina chooses the latter for both. Her expression doesn’t change at all, at first, and Momo fears that it was all a fluke. Their feelings, the magic— all created of her imagination. The worry shows, and Mina raises her eyebrows, ever so slightly. Her entire demeanor softens if only for a moment, letting the weight of the crown fall away from her. No one else would notice, but Momo does,

The music ends, and Momo mourns the loss of Mina’s hands on her as Mina pulls away to clap. It doesn’t last long. Mina pulls her back in, swiftly, for a gentle hug. The whisper into Momo’s ear is not so gentle.

“Kitchens. In 10. Please.”

And then Mina is gone, fleeting away into the mass of guests, handing out thank yous as if they were candy.

Momo says her goodbyes, rushing an excuse to Sana. She fumbles her way to the kitchens. She almost doesn’t expect Mina to be there.

But Mina is, her figure drawing a long line as she leans up against a counter in the unlit kitchen. Moonlight trickles in through the large windows about the sink, reflecting off of the wine glass in the princess’s hand.

“You’re late.”

Momo simply holds out her hand. Although she makes the move, Mina leads her up to her bedroom, the suite of the princess.

Of course, Momo has to catch up.

When she kisses Mina, it tastes of red wine and dark chocolate. It tastes like new love, blossomed from a first dance, from the mutual passion in two hearts.