-001-

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


August 27 was just another school day for Sungyeol.

From the moment Sungyeol opened his eyes that morning, he already felt the world swirling around him. His body seemed to have a mind on its own and didn't want to leave the comfort of his bed. He mentally reprimanded himself for being lazy and not using his umbrella, even with the light drizzle of rain the previous day, resulting immediately in a cold and a slight fever. Staying up late to study for a quiz and only having almost two hours of sleep didn't exactly help with the situation either.

He groggily pushed himself out of bed and absent-mindedly went to the bathroom to wash up. Still half asleep, he the shower, forgetting to turn on the heater. He shrieked and jumped out of the tub abruptly when the stinging coldness of the water met his pale skin. Thanks to his ignorance, he was now completely wide awake. Once again, he mentally cursed himself for the second time that morning and wondered how many more times would he be doing the same thing for the rest of the day.

Trudging downstairs after fixing himself up and preparing his school bag, Sungyeol heard the loud music coming from Daeyeol's audio dock in the kitchen, the throbbing pain in his head growing by the second. Even when he entered the kitchen, Daeyeol didn't look up from working the last minute on his homework, breakfast set aside.

"It's too early to be loud, Daeyeol." Sungyeol said, reaching over to turn off the device. 

Daeyeol quickly pulled it out of his reach and stuck his tongue out. "And it's too early to be in', Hyung."

"Where are Mom and Dad, anyway? You'll be so dead if-"

"Read the note on the fridge," Daeyeol interrupted nonchalantly, continuing with his homework.

Left for work early. Happy birthday, Yeollie! Sorry, but we'll have to celebrate it another day. -Mom

And on the same piece of paper, another note was scribbled beneath his mom's writing.

Me too. Happy birthday, son! -Dad

Sungyeol kind of figured that such a situation would happen when he heard them fighting the last night. And it wouldn't really be a celebration with the cold atmosphere and his parents occasionally shooting daggers at each other with their eyes, so he could gladly accept the win-win deal of postponing it for another day. Not that it was the first time it happened anyway.

He poured himself a bowl of cereal and seated himself across Daeyeol on the island, eyeing his brother with contempt for not lowering the volume of his music. Just as he was about to snap at the younger once again, Daeyeol stood up, stuffed his homework into his bag and finally turned off his music.

Daeyeol approached his brother from the side, suddenly engulfing him in a bone-crushing hug, placing a sloppy, wet kiss on his cheek.

"What the hell, Daeyeol?!" Sungyeol freed himself from his brother's vice-like grip and wiped his face of the disgusting substance from his brother's mouth. 

"That was your birthday kiss. You could've thanked me for it, instead of me giving you a birthday beating," Daeyeol reasoned, then rushed to the front door. "Happy birthday, Hyung! Enjoy your day!"

Sungyeol loved this side of his brother. Daeyeol could actually be sweet, caring and knew just how to make him feel better especially at the right time, like today, since their parents had a fight and ruined the start of his birthday. He was about to crack a smile when he saw the mess of unwashed plates and empty glass across from him, realizing he was left with the duty of cleaning up.

Daeyeol would mostly be a brat and jerk for the rest of Sungyeol's life.

Thanks to Daeyeol, he missed the bus from the stop down their block and had to rush to the nearest stop to catch another one that wouldn’t arrive for the next ten minutes. He did make it before the last bell for his first class, but was still met with adversities, like almost getting drenched when the sprinklers were while he was on the school fields and tripping twice up the staircase on his way.

Third period came and Sungyeol was nervous as hell. The sleepless night of studying could've done the trick but with his parents bickering on the background and his nagging fever, he couldn't make himself concentrate at all.

"Hyung, you alright? You don't look well," Sungjong whispered worriedly while the exam papers were being distributed.

Sungyeol nodded. "I'm fine, don't worry. Just a slight fever. You should be worrying about the test instead."

Sungjong was about to reply but their professor already handed them their exam paper so he settled with pumping his fists instead to the older and mouthed a 'Hwaiting, Hyung!'.

Sungyeol had his head buried in his arms the moment the test ended. He knew the test was relatively easy, but his mind and body were in not proper condition to concentrate. Moping about his test results wouldn't do him any good so he decided to doze off, until he felt a cold hand placed on his forehead.

"Sungjong was right. It's not just a slight fever. You should go home and rest, Sungyeol." Dongwoo suggested, Hoya and Sungjong looking worriedly over his shoulder.

"I’m fine, really. It's the weekend tomorrow, so if it worsens, I promise to rest all day, okay?"

"Fine. But don't blame me when everyone calls you a girl after I carry you to the infirmary, if ever you decide to faint." Hoya said, wagging his finger at him as if reprimanding a child.

"Yes, Mom." Sungyeol said, rolling his eyes while the rest chuckled.

August 27 was just another bad day for Sungyeol.

On every social network he was registered in, he would hide or not put that date in his profile. He never expects or drops hints for anyone to notice.

But nonetheless, he still wanted to be remembered on that day.

Some people did remember but they weren't the people that Sungyeol was expecting; besides, Sungyeol knew they only remembered for they were classmates in previous semesters and noted it in their planners or phone calendars. He even noticed how they casually talked to him as if they were very close to begin with; however, Sungyeol was smart enough to know how subtly the conversation was leading to 'so where's the party?' or 'let's celebrate! Your treat, okay?' Then Sungyeol would only reject politely, reasoning that he couldn't celebrate because of homework, projects and extra-curricular duties.

"Sungyeol, I'm so sorry I didn't know. Forgive me, okay? Come here, I'll be your personal nurse for the whole day."

"You should've told us earlier, Sungyeol. I could've bought you something purple. Or a purple cake! Yes, I could've baked you a purple cake!"

"Purple cake? Isn't it about flavors and not color?"

"I don't know. But purple cake sounds delicious to me."

"Very manly, Barney hyung. And move it, Dino hyung. I'm a way better nurse than you are. And prettier if you may add. Hey! I just realized you're a couple of extinct creatures! No wonder you match perfectly!"

"Yah!"

"Hello, sick person here?" Sungyeol rolled his eyes at his weird and overly dramatic friends, then rubbed his temples to relieve him of the stress the three were giving him.

His set of friends weren't supposed to know, but found out when Daeyeol texted him that the girls from his class found it hot, after being told of giving Sungyeol a birthday kiss. Sungyeol cringed at the text, unknowing of Sungjong's presence behind him, who also read the message. The boy immediately went over their other friends, throwing a fuss that they didn't know it was his birthday today (Sungyeol was rather grateful he didn't dwell over the disturbing content of the message). Sungyeol couldn't actually blame them for not knowing, since they only started hanging out quite recently, after being in the same class at the start of semester. Seeing as his friends wouldn't let him off easily, he mentally made a Death Note for his brother, for even bothering on relaying the events of that morning to his classmates and inwardly cursing the wild imag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter