001

Unattainable ; Chanbaek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 "Sorry, Baek hyung but we need you back at the dance studio.." Sehun says softly into the phone, wincing when he hears the older's loud voice booming from the other side.

 

 "Are you ing serious?! I'm not even supposed to be working for that 's new comeback! Why not, you go and shove up his new 'mixtape' into his ?" Baekhyun spat into the phone, ignoring the slightly concerned glances from the passers-by as he shouts into the phone in the otherwise quiet and peaceful ambience in the café. He gathered more pairs of eyes when he slammed his coffee mug onto the table haphazardly and rubbing his temples as he waits for Sehun's reply.

 

 "I-i know but— look. Jimin called in sick a few days ago and he's down with hay fever, and you know how long it takes for Jimin to recover." Sehun placed the phone a bit further from his ear just in case Baekhyun were to shout again. To his very much glad ears, he didn't.

 

 Sehun doesn't get a reply straight after, instead he can only hear the older sigh exasperatedly before asking in an annoyed tone, "Fine. I swear I don't get paid enough for this." Sehun hears some shuffling sounds from the other end of the phone, before Baekhyun says he'd be there soon and hanging up. He let out a relieved breath, stuffing his phone into his bag before joining the rest of the dancers who were currently learning the 'killing point' in Chanyeol's soon-to-be-out comeback, Lotto.

 

 Just as promised, Baekhyun arrives shortly. He channels his boiling anger into opening the door to the dance studio where he normally practises with the others, not bothering that the door looked like it was about to come off its hinges the moment he burst inside the room, causing the door to fly back and hit the wall.

 

 The other backup dancers looked at him warily, Jongin hastily pausing the speakers which boomed with Chanyeol's baritone voice. Baekhyun didn't spare them a glance as he threw his duffel bag to the corner with everyone else's, looking at Sehun expectantly.

 

 When Sehun didn't get what Baekhyun meant, he rolled his eyes, "Where are the choreography diagrams? Do you expect me to immediately know the dance moves to a horrible 'song' that I wasn't even supposed to perform?" The other members flinched when they heard Baekhyun's voice, only Sehun moved to give Baekhyun the papers which sketched out a figure in different positions.

 

 Everyone's eyes were on Baekhyun as he scanned through the thick bundle of papers quickly, sighing tiredly after reaching the last page and asking, "How many days til' the performance?"

 

 "4, a-actually now that I think about it, I don't think you'll be able to learn it in ti—" Sehun stopped rubbing the nape of his neck in embarrassment when he heard the raven-haired's confident tone.

 

 "Okay." Immediately, everyone's eyes widened. This time, Jongin spoke up, "Baek hyung, it took us more than a week to perfect only the first half of the dance. How will you do it in less than a week?!" Baekhyun only shrugged nonchalantly at Jongin's words, "I have my ways, I'll catch up to you soon. Practise from wherever you stopped because I don't want to drag you guys down."

 

 They all hesitantly nodded before Jongin continued to play the music, Sehun throwing glances through the mirror at an unknowing Baekhyun to check on his progress.

 

 Baekhyun's calculative eyes stared at the first page of the choreography that the poor paper would have been burned by now. Left, left, right, left, right, spin, stop and turn.

 

 Almost instantaneously, Baekhyun got down the footwork in one try. His footsteps were light, and his spins were perfection, all while still staring at the piece of paper in concentration. And not even half an hour yet, Baekhyun absorbed and already memorised everything in the first verse.

 

 When he saw the other dancers disperse to take a water break, Baekhyun placed the sheets of paper down and made his way to the other side of the room, where he could look at himself in the reflection of the mirror. Jongin was at the side, sitting down while gulping down water from a plastic bottle.

 

 Baekhyun went over to the computer and clicked play before hurriedly making his way to the center of the room while the opening sounds of the song started to play. Immediately, as he heard the bass and electronic sounds start to play, Baekhyun began the first part of the choreography.

 

 His moves were quick, calculated to be nearly perfect and still somehow have some sort of aura that fit in so well with the music that could only be done with so much understanding of professional dancing. The way his feet pointed, how every single step and move was executed perfectly without missing a single beat.

 

 Then, the music began to pick up the tempo, the drumming rhythm got faster and the blasting electronic sounds got more faster in a repetitive pattern. It was the killer part of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter