It's lavender, not pink

Emoji spells (can't) solve everything

 

“Of course, how could I forget about the prehistoric cats we breed in our back garden?! Piece of cake!” scandalized by its contents, Sunggyu closed the unhelpful book with a snarl. He was however quickly simmered down by the following coughing fit, forgetting about the accumulated dust usually associated with hundred year old books. Ordinarily, Sunggyu wouldn’t even require using one of his mother’s books, having memorised more spells than he, as a matter of fact, needed, but boy- was he desperate now.

For the past weeks Sunggyu was having the most ridiculous strike of bad luck and no amount of purifying spells was able to aid him in any way.

The upsetting thing was that he had no idea what the source could be. The closest he had as somebody he could pin this on was his aunt’s cat (which sounded ridiculous, but this was Sunggyu). A while back Sunggyu happened to step on the tail of his aunt’s familiar -important to mention, he never liked that cat, mostly because she was fond of stealing shiny things which unfortunately happened to be Sunggyu’s favorite crystals. The incident was in no way intentional, unlike what the furry demon assumed as she delivered immediate punishment by sinking her fangs in Sunggyu’s exposed foot (triggering a mild phobia of wearing slippers from then on). After that day Sunggyu could hypothesize that black cats bringing bad luck wasn’t just a superstition invented by stupid non-magick people who burned witches on stakes in the past. Maybe they could indeed bring bad luck, but no crossing your path kind of bull, maybe you just had to piss them off. Yet, that was only a fantasy of Sunggyu’s heavily biased mind.

No day since then was spared from small incidents, whether it was was stubbing his toe on every possible corner, having objects falling from above right when he was passing or being unable to find a new apartment to move in due to various circumstances. He had been scammed the first two times and the third apartment had a gremlin secretly living inside (he didn’t even know gremlins existed, that was one experience) who liked to play pranks at night such as breaking the utilities or messing with the TV channels. Every time Sunggyu tried to watch a movie he’d switch the channel to some foreign errotic movie, and as much as Sunggyu could compromise with having to watch for the rest of his life- people would have visited him eventually (his mom specifically) and the mental image of waking up in the middle of the night and finding the gremlin on to sofa watching illicit movies- Not worth it.

Needless to say, Sunggyu was absolutely fed up with expecting every day to be a bad day and began an extensive research. The natural first choice had been a spell for breaking curses, but most of them included the curse being returned upon the original caster. As much as Sunggyu really detested the cat, if she were the real culprit his family wouldn’t appreciate the young man damning their old familiar. Even if it were somebody else, Sunggyu still had some sort of a moral code he had to follow as witch. So he had to step up his searching game until he found some spells that only had a purifying effect.

And he actually did.

The only other way available to get rid (at least temporarily) of the stupid curse was to neutralize it with spell for luck. Unfortunately, the spells strong enough to repel an actual curse required ridiculous ingredients like a saber tooth, which there was no way in hell he was getting unless he was robbing the national museum (an option becoming more and more appealing each second). Another option was getting an already made lucky item. Those happened to be rare as well, since the ingredients used for forging it were as ridiculous as the ones for a direct spell (according to the book that attacked his lungs just a few moments ago, spells which affected one’s fate considerably, like pure fabricated luck, were considered more powerful, therefore required rare ingredients. Comparatively, summoning a shady demon was easier). Moreover, Sunggyu didn’t trust a lot of magick items. The efficiency of an item depended on the user’s magick proficiency and power and Sunggyu didn’t want to end up with an lucky item belonging to a witch who ed up their spell. For that reason purchasing one from a special market was risky- no witch was actually willing to sell their lucky items, especially if they were potent. So seeing one for sale made Sunggyu wonder whether it was a scam by somebody who wanted to get rid of an item. Even if there was still hope left in the world and somebody was actually selling a lucky item with enough mojo to keep up with Sunggyu’s hexing, he would need a ton of money.

The only magick items he trusted and could actually get hold of were those made by his parents- which brought him to his last ray of hope. He didn’t want to ask his family for help at first, because that meant admitting he ed up. Rather than pride, it was a matter of avoiding his family’s incessant teasing and the rumor of his bad luck spreading in all the covens of Jeonju. Sunggyu’s mother thought his mistakes were cute, meaning she would be telling everyone about it as if it was something to brag about.

But as desperate times called for desperate solutions, Sunggyu had to take the risk and hope it won’t end up as social suicide. As luck would have it, his mother was at home that day. He wasn’t living on his own (yet), but the amount of time he was spending alone in his family’s house made it seem like he was the only member. Not that he was blaming anyone.

“Mom?” Sunggyu left the room, heading for the kitchen layered in herbs, of which only a half had gastronomical purposes. The woman in question wasn’t facing him, preoccupied with a cauldron full of suspicious substances. Sunggyu was actually sure it was some de-aging potion but he didn’t dare say that out loud in front of her. “Mom!”

“Yes, baby?” she turned to him, keeping an eye of the potion.”Are you hungry?”

“Yes, always actually ” he admitted. “But that’s not what I’m here for, ugh …” he began shifting, brainstorming for methods of getting what he wanted without having to explain why. “Do we have lucky charms? Long lasting ones, not one day charms”

“For the curse?”

“Ye- What!” his eyes widened, his brain catching up too late with him to help him play stupid and deny. He abandoned any attempt anyway upon witnessing his mother’s amused face. “You know?!”

“A lot of people actually noticed. You might not feel it, but other witches can sense the bad energy following you.” Oh. “Also Yejin told your aunt that you think it’s her fault.”

“It could be!” he felt the need to add. God damn cat, he hopes she catches fleas. “But wait, everybody knows??”

“It’s not that big of a deal, Sunggyu.”

“Yes it is! It’s one of the reasons why I’m leaving this goddamn city, covens here do more gossip than magick.” he whined, not caring anymore that he looked like a baby throwing a tantrum. “In Seoul nobody will give a about what I do.”

“But I will miss my baby…” he almost uttered a me too, but stopped himself in time.

“Mom, I’m an adult.” he sighed, ignoring the slight bitter taste those words left on his tongue.

“Of course you are honey.” she smiled, turning back to the stove to turn off the heat.

(A fond smile secretly took over her features. It was time to take pity on the frustrated young man. After all, he finally put his pride aside to come and ask for help. She also wasn’t going to mention how their family had been placing bets on how long it would take Sunggyu to ‘request assistance’. )

“About that charm,” she started, and Sunggyu’s head lifted up instantly like a meerkat. ”Your sister might have left something that could help you.”

Well that’s a first!

“Oh. What is it?” he wondered, following his mother to her daughter's old room, supposedly vacated after she moved out with her husband. That was one of the reasons the house was empty almost all the time. With the birth of his nephew, his mother had been taking almost daily trips to his sister’s new home. It seemed unnecessary at first glance, they could all just live together, their house just had plenty of space.

However the reason their house had that much space also happened to be the thing that made it painful for everybody to do so. But this was not the time to dwell on such thoughts. Sunggyu shook his head hoping to clear his mind. He managed to trip over his own feet instead as he attempted to enter the room. Stupid curse.

“It will help you until you find a more convenient solution. The books in our attic have some spells for luck, but not that many… Maybe you’ll get lucky and find books with different spells in Seoul. Hehe, get lucky, get it?”

Sunggyu deadpanned. “Mom.”

“Ah, here it is! ” she announced cheerfully, raising the most horrifying sight that Sunggyu ever faced.

“What the hell, mom!” he drew back, tempted to cast a protection spell as he ignored the quiet scolding from his mother to watch his language. “No, no way in hell, get it away!”

“Don’t be dramatic! It’s just some , sweetie.” she giggled as his misery, throwing the in his direction unexpectedly. Unwilling to make contact, Sunggyu avoided the projectile with an unmanly squeak he was too terrified to be embarrassed of at the moment. “They’re dirty now…”

“They’re not just , they are Jieun’s ! If that’s not traumatizing enough, they are Jieun’s pink, lacy !” he shuddered, not taking his eyes off the fallen piece of lingerie, in case it might jump at him or something, nobody knows with magick objects and his luck. Also, was that...a skull pattern? 15 year old Jieun must have thought this was the ultimate edgy aesthetic.

“More of a lavender shade...”

“Mom!”

“I don’t see what’s the problem Sunggyu, nobody will even see them. Unless, there is somebody in baby’s life that I don’t know of who might get to see?” Sunggyu snorted at that.

“Sure as hell there won’t be anybody If you expect me to wear this. Is this even functional?” he hissed, glaring at the abomination taunting him from the floor. Figures that young prodigy Jieun managed to make one of the most powerful magick items available but they were… lacy . If she wanted to keep Sunggyu away from them, oh was she successful.

“It sure helped her get a man” she laughed at his horrified faced.

“You know what, just take it away, I don’t care. I’ll find something else. The curse isn’t even that bad.” he assured, knocking a vase by mistake as he turned to retreat. “Just watch me. I’ll manage! !” he tripped out of the room in a hurry to get away.

He didn’t need to wear some to get out of this. He was a witch, a god damn talented one, and he was going to get out of this situation without having to sink as low as wearing his big sister’s underwear. No amount of washing would be able to clean the uncomfortable feeling.

He could do it.

 


 

He couldn’t do it.

He found himself a week later tugging his mother’s apron. “Where are they.”

“What, baby?”

“The .” he muttered.

“What baby? Speak louder.”

“The stupid mom!” he whined in despair of having his resolve defeated. But ultimately, what else was he supposed to do? The curse was honestly starting to give Sunggyu the creeps, as the incidents were becoming more and more frequent and lost their initial harmless appearance. He actually managed to get himself into more near death experiences than he could handle without getting seriously freaked out. Having a bar of steel missing him narrowly while he was strolling near a construction site gave Sunggyu the incentive he needed to up any pride he had left. (He wasn’t, however, going to mention the slightly deathly details to his mother. )

“Oh… Those. I thought you got rid of the curse?” she asked surprised. “You didn’t mention anything these days.”

“No, it’s still there, unfortunately” his shoulders sagged. “So let’s just get over with it.”

He once again followed his mom on the road of shame, as he now baptized the course to his sister’s underwear drawer. As his mother began searching for the piece of cloth, Sunggyu stood waiting once again by the door, feeling restless. “Found them yet?”

“…Oh.” she turned to face him with an apologetic gaze.

“What do you mean by ‘oh’ ? Why are you looking like that?” He already had a bad feeling.

“We might not have them anymore.”

Sunggyu blinked. The hell was that supposed to mean? They surely weren’t stolen. “Why not? Did noona take them back?” that at least seemed like a reasonable explanation. “I’ll just talk to her if that’s the case. However embarrassing that is... why do they have to be , seriously, why are the Kims 80% female population..” he mumbled to himself. Seriously, why couldn’t they be lucky boxers or a god damn shirt.

“Actually…” she sighed. “I think your aunt took them. Not for herself, but you see, days ago she was searching for things to sell for the magick object’s annual bazar in Seoul. I gave her some things that I don’t need anymore and she might have called Jieun to ask her what she can sell from the things she left here. ”

Oh. He already saw the entire picture. This was just part of his luck.

“She totally gave her permission to take anything, didn’t she?” his mother nodded. “Because she only left the things she doesn’t need anymore here. And nobody knew or assumed I would want to keep her god damn . Of course.” he threw his hands in the air, exasperated. Only he could have bad luck at finding an item actually meant for luck.

“Baby I’m sorry, I didn’t think this would happen. I honestly even thought you found something yourself.”

His demeanor softened at his mother’s sincere regret. She had nothing to apologize for, but she still did. A familiar pang made its existence known in his chest but he willed it away.

“You don’t have what to feel sorry for, it’s not your fault. Who would have known I’d actually change my mind.” he laughed weakly.

I guess I have to start writing my will soon.

And by no means was he being dramatic, if that’s how every search for a lucky item was going to end up thanks of the hex, he was pretty much screwed. Unless, again, he robbed the national museum. He didn’t even have to steal the entire tooth, just maybe bring a nail file and grind a little? Not all animals have even teeth.

“You can still try, sweetie” the voice of his mother interrupted Sunggyu’s inner criminal already thinking up useful spells that could be used to avoid the guards when exiting the museum. “Maybe we should call her?” she suggested, already dialing. Sunggyu however already had a gut feeling how this was about to go. Moments later, his mother confirmed that he was getting good at predicting his own bad luck. “It’s closed.”

“Figured as much. I’ll just take the first train, I was planning to go for apartment hunting again, anyway. It’s worth a try.” he turned to head for his room when his mother’s voice stopped him.

“Wait, Sunggyu!” she left his sister’s room to approach him. Her eyes told Sunggyu it was coming. “Are you serious about moving away? Does it really bother you that much that people talk-”

“No, it’s not really about that.” he sighed and grabbed her shoulders gently to soothe her. “I should have gone my own way by this time, don’t you think? Leave the nest, find my own magick path, stuff like that!” he was honestly voicing the first excuses that came to his mind without really lying, but his mother seemed convinced enough, for now.

“If you say so...But how are you going to earn a living?” she asked, naturally worried about her son. He wasn’t exactly lazy, per say, but to say he was a man of action would also be too much. “Are you perhaps...you aren’t planning to follow your fathe-”

“No.” he cut her quickly before she could voice her biggest worry. He knew it would eventually come to this. “I won’t open a magick shop, rest assured. I’ll probably do something related to magick, though.” he sighed, letting go of her with what he hoped it was a reassuring smile.

“All right...Just keep in touch”

It was definitely going to be either a hit or a miss, most likely a miss if the curse hindered any attempt he made.

However, assuming the worst about how his bad luck could screw his plans had nothing to do with his determination. As dejected as he was, the flame of irritation was still holding on well inside of Sunggyu, and he wasn’t going to just give up because of a stupid hex done by a cat or whatever. Even if the got sold, Sunggyu would just search for other lucky items at the bazaar (if his sister was willing to give up her lucky item, maybe others would be too? Hopefully? And if they were too expensive, he didn’t need two kidneys anyway.)

If things went wrong, he’d just rob the goddamn museum.

 


 

 

It took Sunggyu about four hours by train to reach Seoul and half an hour of really alert walking (running wasn’t his modus operandi at all) to reach his final destination. Nevertheless, he was already a sweaty mess by the time he arrived at the bazaar and the stalls were barely visible because of the people flooding the place. Sunggyu doubted all of the people here were actually into magick. Some of them were obviously only looking for pieces of decor to fill their house while others seemed to be on dates, as crystal stalls were popular among young girls. Luckily for Sunggyu, these two categories of people weren’t probably interested in what he was looking for. As for witches… they had to be at least half as desperate as Sunggyu or into stuff he didn’t really want to think about.

Shaking the useless thoughts out of his head, he concentrated on finding his aunt. It wasn’t her he spotted first but a familiar vase that used to be decorating their hall in Jeonju for a long time. However he didn’t have time to feel elated. Just as he sighed in relief for spotting his aunt, he realised she was folding the object he was willing to sacrifice his pride for and placing them in a bag for a stranger.

“W-wait!!!” he sputtered, forgetting his own no running policy and bumping into a few people as he hurriedly made his way to the stall. His yell was louder than he initially thought it was, as the guy who was about to snatch his last ray of hope jumped slightly, startled by his voice.

“Sunggyu? What are you doing here?” his aunt was surprised to see him in Seoul, as not to mention at the bazaar. Well you wouldn't have to be confused if you had your phone working.

“Yeah, It’s kind of urgent. Long story short, you can’t sell the to this guy.” he didn’t have time to waste.

“Hey! What do mean you by that!”

Sunggyu sighed in exasperation. He really didn’t want to talk with the guy. He hoped that his aunt would just tell the guy they weren’t for sell anymore and take the back. But she was already busy talking to another customer.

He turned to the guy who now wore a displeased frown.

“Exactly what I said. Look, nobody asked me before taking them for selling. It’s a mistake, so I’m sorry but you have to find other, ugh, for yourself.” he put it bluntly, hoping that this guy would just give up quickly.

Said guy’s cheeks caught color at his last words and Sunggyu couldn’t help to notice the how the color reached his pointy nose. He seemed to however recover quickly, faster than Sunggyu hoped.

“So what, you’re the owner? And a very attached one, might I add.” it was time for Sunggyu to get flustered and he honestly wanted to punch the other guy for looking so amused.

“N-no, they’re my sister’s!”

“Sure they are.”

“I’m serious! Stop laughing at me!” How did he even end up in this situation of being made fun of? Oh right! “You’re no better! Why do you even need them?”

The other seemed to remember his main concern was purchasing the garment and not making fun of Sunggyu. “Ah, right. How is that any of your business?” he sighed. “But just so you don’t get any ideas, I need a bit of luck, that’s all. And the rest of the objects are ridiculously expensive for some reason?? It’s just a charm for ’s sake.”

Before he could stop himself, Sunggyu’s mouth already began to move. “Potent magick items require really rare ingredients to be made. Since it was such a hassle to make them, people are reluctant to give them away. A lot of witches even refuse money, they only give such items away in exchange for something else of the same value.” Sunggyu bit his tongue to stop himself from continuing the lecture. He had a habit (that people found annoying) of giving long magick related speeches since people in Jeonju used to seek for his advice, especially for potions and spells. He was good at telling what was done wrong or how to fix certain spells.

Not anymore though. I can’t even fix my own problems.

“Anyway-”

“, that makes sense. Actually it makes so much sense that’s it’s embarrassing I’m learning just now” the other admitted with a sheepish smile, and it was just then that the witch noticed the other didn’t seem bored (or offended) by his lecture. “I still have much to learn, I guess.” he added shyly, leaving Sunggyu confused as he never received this kind of response (people around him were quick to assume they know more about magick than Sunggyu, most of them only because of age). He also wasn’t sure how was he supposed to act when people were nice to him, which sounds kinda pathetic, really.

He scratched the back of his neck, feeling absolutely awkward. Before he had a chance to say something the other began talking again- he seemed like a person who loved to talk, now that he noticed.

“What kind of ingredients?”

“O-oh. Well yeah, they require really ridiculous stuff like saber teeth or flowers that rose from cracked concrete in the moonlight and were preserved afterwards for 20 years. If you ask me they should add kidneys as a required ingredient, my attachment to my organs fades every day I look at the price tags of that could be useful.”

And he cringed because good job Sunggyu, that was lame.

But fortunately the other was equally lame, snorting at his joke, or whatever that sorry excuse of a sentence was.

“It must be really hard to make them then...” the other muttered, scrunching his nose as his face attempted to look contemplative but only ended up looking goofy. Seriously, weren’t they supposed to be fighting?

“Why are these cheap then, assuming that they’re working?” the pointy nosed stranger enquired, lifting the small bag where the were neatly folded.

“My family doesn't really care about money anymore, I guess. They’ve been for some time like this, if there was a charity event they’d probably give away magick objects” Sunggyu groaned, remembering the bickering that often occurs before these kinds of event. No matter the circumstance, Sunggyu saw it as a waste, as they could be getting useful magick items in exchange. He knew and understood his family’s feelings, restless and keen on getting rid of powerful magick objects in their house. He even accepted the loud spoken excuse that giving things away brings good energy vibes, especially before full moons. And even as much as that was also true to a certain degree, it was still a pity.

“Family? So your whole family is magick?” Sunggyu was once again brought back from his own thoughts by the other, who was now looking down, lost in his own mind. Sunggyu was suddenly hit with a longing feeling, so sudden that its source could only be the other boy and Sunggyu was picking up his emotions thanks to his heightened sensitivity. Was he perhaps away from his siblings? The familiarity of that sentiment made Sunggyu relax around the other.

“Hey, look…” the other man snapped out of his thoughts, now paying attention to Sunggyu. His dark brown eyes were focused on him, and Sunggyu could see in them that all thoughts of fighting were gone. Maybe he approached this the wrong way. “I don’t know what you need the lucky item for, and it’s probably also not my business, but I’m here because they’re kind of my last hope.” Sincerity might be the best course. “I’m kind of in a bad situation, I got myself caught in a pretty bad string of bad luck and until I find a working purifying spell I need them to neutralize my bad luck.”

“Oh, so that’s why… Actually, when you approached us, I was a bit cautious because of that.” he pointed to a glass of water that was placed on a nearby stand. The water had a slight green tint and Sunggyu could even see hints of smudged colors. He immediately got what the other was trying to say.

“It’s filled with sea salt and vinegar as well, so it’s supposed to change if there’s bad energy around, right? It was clear before you stormed here...I thought you might be a bad guy, but a curse could also explain it, right? I’m sorry.”

Sunggyu smiled involuntary. “Why are you apologizing? You weren’t even that rude.”

Sunggyu’s reaction seemed to trigger the other’s smile as well. “I know right? I’m a cool guy.” he puffed his chest, appearing to be proud of his problem management skills.

 


 

Half an hour later he still found himself talking to the guy on the bench outside the tent the bazaar was taking place in. His aunt returned to the stand only to shoo them away for wasting space where her potential clients could be staying to view her items. And in fact, Sunggyu was unable to find an excuse not to do so. It was obvious the other craved talking to a person who had experience with magick. And Sunggyu shamelessly admitted that he loved being listened to.

“So, how are we doing this?”

“I mean, you can have your back.” he chuckled at Sunggyu’s scandalised denial of ownership. He handed the bag to Sunggyu. “I will get my money back from the lady before though. You’re siblings, right?”

“Yeah, yeah, she’s my aunt. Sorry for bringing back the subject, but what did you need them for, if you don’t mind me asking, um..?” he found himself surprised of how curious he was about the other. He usually doesn’t bother, but the other was actually nice and believed Sunggyu, water test or not.

“It’s Nam Woohyun. And I actually wanted some luck to find a roommate”

He didn’t expect that. “Roommate? Why do you need luck magick for that?” and such powerful one, nevertheless. They might not look like it, but the weren’t the usual lucky charm that could be helpful for easy tasks. The expensive lucky items were fueled with something that could be called “fabricated luck”, different from the luck of usual charms, that only made fate side with the user, provided that said person actually threw in some effort. Such as, ensuring students would pass an exam only if they also studied. Fabricated luck was, on the other side, the ‘treasure chest will fall on your head’ kind of luck. For this reason some people even considered it dangerous to own such objects because there were cases when people fought over this objects out of greed, paradoxically bringing more misfortune that actual fortune. Again, one of the apparently many reasons why these were on sale.

The other- Woohyun- seemed to ponder a little before deciding that telling Sunggyu couldn’t hurt.

“I’m...I guess I’m not like you. My family doesn’t really practice magick or believe or...they’re the usual korean citizens. Therefore- aren’t that open about my hobby? And I reached that level of interest in magick where I want to do things properly and there are objects needed for that which I can’t exactly explain easily like pretty crystals and an occasional forgotten broom at the door. I don’t want to cause them trouble with the neighbours as well, so I figured I should just move.”

“Isn’t it easier to move alone then? So you won’t have trouble with anybody. ”

The other smiled softly as if remembering something he was fond of. Sunggyu couldn’t help but notice how honest and raw all of Woohyun’s reactions and expressions were. His magick must be the same, if he lacked in skill he was probably making that up with the strength of his intentions.

“I found this perfect place. At first I was looking for houses, since they seem more private and connected with the nature, but those can be expensive and not really for only one person. So a flat was it. And then I found this rooftop pad.” he paused, sulking a little. “You probably already see the picture so please don’t laugh at me, I know life isn’t like in dramas.”

“I was going to say, but now please continue.” Sunggyu teased.

“Before we can get to the horror story of my current bank account, let me tell you. At first glance, it looked terrible. The rooftop looks kind of shady with all those bricks, the rusty staircase, there’s also a nest of really terrifying birds that live on the roof because the previous tenant used to hang dry fish outside.” Woohyun shuddered at the memory.

“Let me guess, you also get to dry during summer.” Sunggyu added, his eyes following Woohyun’s hand that played with -now he noticed- an earing. It looked like an upside down amethyst carved flower, but Sunggyu wasn’t sure which it was supposed to resemble.

“Yeah, exactly, but I charmed my landlord and I can use the air conditioner as much as I want. I can be very convincing. “ and Woohyun demonstrated, showing off the smile that supposedly conquered old ladies’ hearts. Sunggyu snorted.

“So despite all of that, the flat, it was...indescribable, the feeling. I instantly knew this was it. Nobody would really bother me, I could even have a small garden, no strange smells to explain...also since it’s up, I can see the stars clearly with no city light to bother me.”

Sunggyu nodded in understanding. “So you’re a celestial witch?”

“Ah, yes!“ the other beamed. ”Mostly. I do other stuff too, but that was my calling, if you can call it that.”

Then it clicked in Sunggyu’s mind. “An aquarius, am I right?”

Woohyun blinked, taken aback. “Wow, you can tell after talking to me?”

Sunggyu shook his head. “Not necessarily, I asked because I could be wrong, but if you’re a celestial witch I figured maybe you’d combine the crystal from your earring with a flower that matches your zodiac sign.”

“Oh, you’ve been staring at it?” he laughed at Sunggyu’s scandalised expression. “Yeah, it’s supposed to look like an orchid. It must be, if you went full magick Hercule Poirot because of it.”

“Why can’t I be Sherlock, is it because of the growing mustache?” Sunggyu touched the skin above his mouth in a borderline self-conscious way.

“You’re overthinking.” the other hid a smile and muttered something that Sunggyu hoped to God wasn’t cute, because he can easily forget about all the good qualities displayed by the other in a second.

“Back to the story.”

Woohyun looked confused for a moment before he remembered what they were doing and slipped back easily into story-mode. “But yeah, the apartment was kind of expensive and it broke my heart to give up on it, so I gave up on the money I was also saving for a car and went with it it. And to save me from an absolute financial disaster I figured I should find a roommate. Most preferably, who’s also a witch.”

Ah. So that was it. The situation felt quite familiar. So familiar that he ended up having an epiphany regarding a completely different matter.

“I searched for roommates online, but it’s really weird to post Hey, witch roommate needed. Call me on forums, even if you’re technically annonimate. Plus, I don’t want some nutjob to find my post and figure ah this guy is a weirdo as well, he won’t mind my furry summer closet or whatever.”

Sunggyu blinked out of thoughts again, realising that this time he was half listening. “A what?”

“You don’t know- Nevermind, it’s probably better this way.” For a reason Sunggyu couldn’t fathom, the other looked away as if he were embarrassed and smiled sheepishly.

“Woohyun-shii, did you perhaps try other cheaper charms and they didn’t work?” he couldn’t help but ask.

“Yes. I mean, who would go for as an option usually- no offence, I’m sure I could make them work-” Sunggyu summoned all self-restraint imaginable not to look, think, imagine- “It’s just that - the other obvious reasons.”

Sunggyu nodded. “I get it. I was asking because I found it strange that you didn’t just buy a pocket charm or something, that should work for finding a roommate.”

“I know right? I still have one trinket in my pocket, but it doesn’t seem to be working so I was looking for something more powerful. Maybe it doesn’t work because I’m also looking for someone that is magick? I’m just assuming here.” Woohyun shrugged.

It was a wrong assumption, because the person he was looking for was right in front of him. The little charm worked.

Now one problem remained. Should he…? Should he move in with Woohyun? They just met, but again, how was that any different from any person on the internet? It was the first luck he was experiencing in a while, even though it came indirectly, from Woohyun. It was actually a miracle that Sunggyu’s curse didn’t keep Woohyun somehow away.

So, what was he even hesitating for?

Oh, that’s right, he was bad at interacting with people in general. Especially if he didn’t know them.

Meanwhile, Woohyun was obviously growing awkward with Sunggyu’s silence. “Um...then I’ll take my leave. Good to see you.” Sunggyu panicked at the retreating figure.

“W-wait! Actually I ...I could help you with finding a roommate?”

The other’s expression brightened instantly. “R-really? Do you know somebody interested?”

“Well, actually, I’m kind of looking for an apartment myself…”

“Oh, it was you!” the other laughed, amused by Sunggyu’s roundabout proposal. “You could have just said so.”

“I’m not sure yet if I want to share with you though, I mean…” he cursed internally at the disappointment now clouding Woohyun’s eyes.

“Oh.” he didn’t have to give him that rejected puppy look. Sunggyu felt like a bigger than he probably is. “Then, can you ask somebody else, if it’s not too much..?”

Oh it. “I will. But let me clarify something. It’s not that I don’t want to move in with you, Woohyun-shi. I wouldn’t mind it at all, it’s just that I’m kind of cursed, remember?”

Woohyun’s expresion soon morphed from confused to understanding. “Oh!”

“I don’t know if these-” he emphasised by raising the bag with the inside. “-will actually work for me. If it gets out of hand, it can be bothersome for you.”

He was met with Woohyun’s softened expression. “You are really thoughtful, Sunggyu-shii.” something must have showed on his expression because Woohyun continued. “I heard when your aunt called your name.” Truthfully, half of the reason he made a funny face was actually because he felt embarrassed by the comment, but then he remembered that Woohyun gave him his name and in a display of pure social incompetence, he didn’t bother to do the same. Why am I like this?

Trying not to out himself about how embarrassed he felt, he turned back to Woohyun. “You can drop the honorifics, we’re probably around the same age. I’m an ‘89 liner.”

“Looks like I’m two years younger. Sunggyu-hyung it is, then.” he smiled, looking pleased with the new arrangement.

“Anyway, if you want we can exchange numbers and I’ll tell you if I’m up for it, and in case I’m damned for life I’ll try find somebody for you. You can also give me a call if you already found somebody.”

A toothy smile beamed at him.

“Sounds good to me.”

 


 

“So let me get this straight.”

Sunggyu looked away from his friend’s exasperated expression. He knew the other was making a valid point, but the salt over the wound was necessary, he didn’t need somebody to agree with him over how stupid he was being. Especially if that person was Sungjong.

Sunggyu had been sleeping over at the other witch’s apartment every time he came to Seoul. One would ask why didn’t he move with Sungjong then, but a night over happened to be the span of time Sungjong tolerated his presence. That also applied for Sunggyu. Sungjong’s choice of a familiar made Sunggyu nervous (all right, that’s an understatement, he was absolutely terrified). Who finds a tarantula the perfect pet? Sungjong, apparently, as he cooed every time he fed the damned thing. It didn’t help that it also didn’t particularly like Sunggyu (like most familiars, he’s ready to admit he has a problem, maybe). There was one time he woke up extremely hungry and dared to take one cookie from Sungjong’s secret stash in a hurry -he wouldn’t notice one cookie out of 30, right?- and the ugly thing didn’t waste a minute to report the crime to Sungjong. He could almost hear it perfectly, the Hyung, I know you raided my stash, my baby told me!

Not to mention that since he found about Sunggyu’s curse, he made a show of constantly purifying everything in the house, unlike any normal witch who would cleanse the energy after the guests leave. If that wasn’t enough, Sungjong couldn’t stand the smell of sage (absolutely ridiculous), so instead of burning a smudge stick he’d go for the singing bowl route. Using his favourite old Tibetan bowl with embossed golden inscriptions, Sungjong would strike the edge of the bowl more often than anybody serious about this would, driving Sunggyu mad with the incessant gong-like sound. It may purify the house, but it only left Sunggyu pissed off.

“You totally want to move with this guy, but you’re hesitating to send a message because you don’t want to look too eager?” Sungjong sighed, gently rubbing the wooden wand around the bowl’s rim. “It’s like, 2018, not even teenagers do this anymore, hyung.”

“You make it sound lamer than it actually is!”

“Yeah, how would you say it, then?”

“That I’m being a really thoughtful person by being cautious over this matter?” even Sunggyu admitted that was just...

“Cautious my . You wore the for a day and you’re more or less back to your boring life.”

How is (hopefully, permanently) lacking a curse considered boring? Sunggyu wrinkled his nose, still skeptic. “Yeah, but what if-”

“Yeah Sunggyu-hyung, what if you being indecisive makes Woohyun feel stupid for actually expecting a reply from you and he decides to screw that weird guy and search for another roommate?”

“Don’t call me that!” he barked, albeit weakly as he messed up his own hair in frustration.

As much as he hated to admit, Sungjong’s rant had some truth in it. Some being a lot. Woohyun and he hit it of pretty easily despite the initial confusion and shaming, and Sunggyu was being his overthinking self wondering if he wasn’t perhaps being too haste. But then again, he didn’t even ponder a lot on the fact that indeed, rooftop apartments are not always that great in reality. He might have rolled his eyes at Woohyun’s seeming confidence in his own charm, but apparently Sunggyu wasn’t a tougher cookie than the old landlord lady. Woohyun really sounded as he wanted and could make it work, and to this day Sunggyu’s instincts haven’t failed him.

The problem was, he was still worried about the curse, he wasn’t lying when he said he was thinking about Woohyun when hesitating. Only Sunggyu knew how dangerous the curse actually was, and that he couldn’t really relax until he found a permanent solution- the worked, but they’re still temporary. He also had to charge them with energy as he did with other objects when they became worn out. Also, the conflicting energies around Sunggyu messed up his whole aura, so it was an inconvenience. (He could even add that the potential of the item was wasted on Sunggyu’s damned , by keeping his neck intact from the wrath of nature.)

Finally parting with his annoying bowl, Sungjong let out a tired exhale. “You know hyung, you don’t even have to say yes immediately. A normal person asks for a house tour first and then discusses the possible tenancy with the roommate.”

Oh.

“....What should I write to him, then?”

“Oh for ’s sake!”

“Fine, fine, leave me alone!” he shooed him away, to which the other responded with a huff and stood up to leave for the kitchen.

Sunggyu stared at the empty message as if we were required to write in a foreign language. What can he write so that it won’t look like a message he spent 1 hour on?

“Baby said he can hear your brain falling apart!”

Sunggyu cursed. “God damn insect is a psychic too?“

“He’s an arachnid you ignorant swine- his words not mine” Sungjong smiled brightly, back into the room with a pot of tea, that is definitely chamomile because Sunggyu can’t stand it.

“Arghhh it’s just, I actually, sincerely want to live with this guy!“ he admitted.

Sungjong furrowed his eyebrows. “Hm? Didn’t you say he looked eager? Doesn’t that mean he’s already ok with you?“

“Ugh yes, but I was being nice that day “

Sungjong’s expression changed as if he just had an epiphany. “Ooh, he doesn’t know you’re ...well,you. I don’t think there’s a word for all your bad qualities added together , yet” he ignored Sunggyu’s icy glare. “I was actually wondering why can’t you just send him a message when you text me all the time but now I realise you’d just be like I’m coming tomorrow, you’d better have food my kindness isn’t for free. Which is bull, by the way, you never get me anything.”

“That’s not kindness!”

“Yees it is!” He pointed accusingly at the older with wide eyes. He’d also probably look remotely intimidating if it weren’t for the apple hair adorning the top of his head. “As the hyung you should bring treats for the younger one. Do you know how hurtful it feels to hear all my clients talk about what nice things they got from their hyungs?”

“I’m sure it happens all the time!” agreed Sunggyu with an over-exaggerated tone.

“Nasty” the other pouted.

“You’re nasty.” he retorted childishly, going back to his staring contest with his phone. It’s just one message, for pit’s sake.

“How do you start a-”

“Hyung, for the love of God! It’s just a message. Just be yourself, however unlikable that is. Maybe he’s into it, like those masochistic youngsters nowadays ”

“You talk like you’re 50 or something. And fine! I’m writing it.” the powers above were merciful that day, since Sunggyu managed to compose a message eventually and send it. Now it was all up to Woohyun and Sunggyu genuinely hoped he didn’t find somebody else already.

Guess somebody has to save you from crippling debt- need a tour of the place first tho. Oh hyung…” Sungjong looked down at him with pitiful eyes.

“Shut up!”

 

 

-----

That's all for today folks.

You know what I was saying about copying the end note from AO3? Guess what.

So, the magic in this universe is inspired from wicca and several magic related movies/shows or supernatural, so it doesn't follow any existent rules. If anything, it's closest to the magic practice displayed in the movie "Practical Magic"

Magic here is spelt with a "k" to differentiate it from slight of hand/illusionist magic (this spelling is atributed to Aleister Crowley, according to urban dictionary and wikipedia, so you can search magick there yay).

Btw if there is something you want me to change about the font or the format please tell me, aff is killing me.