Chapter 1

Try My Luck

"Come on! It'll be so much fun!"
You gave your Sezim a pointed look before turning your attention back to the movie you were watching. Of course, this prompted your friend to walk over and turn the television off.
"Please." she pouted as she crossed her arms.
Sighing, you leaned forward to give her yet another pointed look. "What's his name?"
She smiled and giggled at that, then hurried closer to kneel across the coffee table from you. "He is sooo good looking!" she squealed.
If there was one thing you could count on in the entire world, it was that your friend would do anything for a guy who caught her attention. She had dragged you to so many clubs, restaurants, sporting events, concerts. There was even one time that she drove for two hours to attend a poetry reading, all because of a guy with 'cute dimples' was reading a few of his poems. Not only did his 'poems' made you want to bang your head against the table, but the smoke in the lounge gave you a headache and the coffee tasted like dirty socks.
"Oh, don't look like that."
You broke out of your thoughts to see Sezim pouting again. Evidently how you felt about being dragged along once more had shown on your face.
"You're always taking me someplace I don't want to be." you told her. "And it's always so you can make a good impression on some guy that you'll just break up with in a couple of months anyways."
"So?" She shrugged her shoulders indifferently. "If I don't get out there and try my luck, how am I suppose to find my Prince Charming?"
You waved dismissively at her and glanced around for the tv remote. "Just go by yourself this time."
Catching sight of the remote, you reached for it just as Sezim hurriedly grabbed it. She held it protectively to her chest while giving you a horrified look.
"You know I can't go by myself. I need my wingwoman. You need to make sure he's not crazy or a creep." She stuck her bottom lip out. "I can't do it without you."
You wanted to argue about that with her despite knowing it was futile. Sezim may seem like she had all the courage in the world when it came to guys, but the reality was that she was only that way when she wasn't alone.
"He seems a bit weird and goofy, but he's a total sweetheart. And he's a kid at heart."
Looking at the pleading expression on her face, you let out another sigh. "Please tell me we're not going to another coffee lounge."
Sezim instantly brightened up and a huge grin formed on her face. "Nope, even better. It's a dance class."
Your face fell. "Wait, what??"
"You already said you'd go." She jumped up and clapped her hands excitedly. "And I already signed us both up. It's later this afternoon and no worries, I got us some cute workout clothes!"
You groaned and buried your face in to your hands.

Standing outside of the building, you had a urge to leave and never look back. Sezim wrapped her arm around your arm though and dragged you inside.
"Don't act like this is the worst thing to ever happen to you." she insisted. "Maybe you'll even like it."
"Yeah. Have a bunch of people stare at me while I trip over my own feet." you mumbled.
She snorted out a laugh. "No one is going to stare at you. And even if that does happen, I doubt you'll be the first one to have ever done that."
You stifled a groan as you followed her down the hallway. There was a door propped open and as you approached it, you head quiet music spilling out of the room. Your heartbeat sped up and you swallowed thickly before taking a deep breath. Then you went through the doorway.
You found yourself in a large room with one wall completely covered in mirrors. Several other people were scattered around, talking to each other while stretching.
"New students?"
You quickly turned and realized that a woman carrying a clipboard had came up to you both.
"Yep." answered Sezim as she briefly smiled at you. Then she gave both of your names.
The lady checked her list and nodded in satisfaction. "Looks good. Just hang out in the back today and learn what you can of the routine. We'll get you guys caught up in no time." She turned away and headed over to a table in the back of the room. "Let's warm up!" she called out and instantly people spread out as they got in to position.
After setting your stuff down, you moved towards the back of the group and eyed the rest of the dancers. "Which one is he?" you whispered to Sezim.
She glanced around. "He's.."
Loud music suddenly started blaring, causing you to jump in surprise. Then you quickly put some space between you and Sezim so you had room. The woman from before stood at the front, facing everyone, and started yelling out instructions as she started the warm up. You dutifully followed her while hoping the dance routine was just as easy.
After a few minutes, the instructor walked over to a stereo and turned the music off. "Okay, let's give the first part of the routine a try. Then we'll break it down in to parts again." She pushed a couple of buttons and a new song started playing.
Much to your relief, the song was rather on the slow side. The music tempo was a varied a bit, but the dance moves the class were doing followed the crooning lyrics instead. You matched their poses, feeling confident. Maybe this wouldn't be too bad after all.
Suddenly the music changed, the words coming faster. Your face fell as you watched most of the students successfully pull off the quick footwork while you stumbled trying to copy them, until you gave up and merely followed their arm movements.
The music changed again, the words 'I try my luck' filling the room as the chorus rang out. You flailed your arms around and barely moved your feet. Then you came to a complete stop. This was utterly ridiculous. There was no way you could learn a routine like this.
You looked around to see the other students dancing when you noticed a guy walking in to the room. He set his bag down by the wall and crouched down. Your gaze lingered on him, taking the sight of him in. His sleeveless shirt showed off his muscular arms, and with the way his clothes hugged him, you were sure he had the same toned muscles throughout his body.
He stood up and turned to the face the group, his gaze landing on. You inhaled sharply at being caught staring and hurriedly looked away, but not before catching the small smile that had formed on his face.
You focused back on the students and the instructor, only to realize they had stopped dancing. The lady went over to the stereo and turned the music off. "They're all ready for you Jongup."
With your eyes widening, you watched as the man who had come in late move to stand in front of the class. "Sorry for being late." he stated. "You guys can punish me later."
The students laughed and cheered at that, while you merely stayed quiet. You glanced over at Sezim to see her smiling and giggling so when she looked at you, you forced a smile on to your face as well.
"From the beginning." Jongup turned so he was facing the mirrors. "5, 6, 7, 8." He started doing the routine, slowly and one step at a time.
Shaking your head to collect yourself, you began to copy him. Just like before, the first few parts were easy. Mostly poses as the lyrics were slowly sung. That's when it occurred to you that there was no music playing, merely Jongup singing. Which perfectly matched the song. As if he was the singer.
Through the mirror, his gaze locked with yours and you realized that you were frozen in place while staring at him. You quickly glanced away and did one of the dance moves, feeling your face burning as you blushed.
"Okay, now on to the next part."
He danced the part that had frustrated you, when the lyrics had come out faster. He pulled it off flawlessly and you couldn't help but wonder if he choreographed the dance himself.
"Now slowly."
You paid extra close attention, not only memorizing it the best you could, but also forcing your body to do something it wasn't use to. When it came to the section where you had to kick out your legs a bit, you were pleasantly surprised at how you managed to do it without tripping over yourself.
Afterwards, Jongup waved at the lady who was standing by the stereo. "Let's do that section with the music."
She turned the music on and then fast forwarded it to the right part. Listening to the beat, you took a deep breath and prepared yourself.
"1, 2, 3..."
You started off steady, but quickly fell behind from not dancing fast enough. Suppressing a groan, you tried to not get discouraged. So when Jongup had the female instructor restart the music, you gave it your all once more.

"Water break!"
You breathed a sigh of relief and headed over to your stuff. Retrieving your water bottle, you took a long drink of the refreshing liquid.
"Not too bad, right?" Sezim asked as she playfully nudged you.
You thought about her question, and about all the other places she had dragged you to. "Yeah. Hard work though."
"I'm sure you'll get the hang of it." She glanced round before suddenly exclaiming, "Oh crap! I forgot to ask about something. Be right back." Then she scurried over to the female instructor that was by the table.
You eyed your friend curiously for a bit and then rolled your eyes. Taking another drink, you were aware of someone approaching you from the corner of your eye. You looked over and almost choked on the water as Jongup walked towards you.
"Whoa, easy." he joked.
You let out a cough before nervously chuckling. "Uh, yeah."
He flashed you an amused smile. "First time dancing?"
You blinked at him in surprise for a moment and then started blushing again. "Is it that obvious?"
"A little." he laughed. "But you seem a bit of a natural too. Your pretty smooth when your body knows what it's doing."
Meaning he had been watching you. That thought had you blushing even more, though you hurriedly dismissed it. Of course he would watch. He was a teacher and you were a student. Had to make sure you were learning something.
"My name's Jongup by the way." he said and held his hand out.
You took his hand and shook it while telling him your name, and attempting to ignore how firm is hold was. And ignoring how much you didn't like him letting go.
"So.."
"Hey Jongup." One of the other students came up to the two of you. "Can you help me with the leg kicking part?"
Jongup appeared a bit surprised and confused, before nodding his head. "Uh, yeah. Sure." He turned back to you and smiled. Then he walked away.
Butterflies formed in your stomach. Maybe it was just your imagination, but it seemed like he hadn't wanted to leave. You tried to stop yourself from smiling, and failing miserably.
Sezim moved next to you, smiling as well. "Okay, what do you think?"
"Huh?" You stared at her, the butterflies disappearing.
She giggled. "Of Jongup. What do you think?"
It took a few moments for your brain to click. Then it was like someone had dumped a bucket of cold water over you. The reason you were here in the first place was to be her wingwoman. To check out the guy she was interested.
"Oh, yeah. He's... nice." You swallowed thickly, nausea welling up inside your stomach.
"Like I said, he can be a bit weird and goofy, but he..." She trailed off and furrowed her eyebrows. "What's wrong? You're pale."
You shook your head. "It's just hot in here. I think I need some air. But yeah, he's good. He's... great. You should go for it. I'll be right back." You hurried away and left the dance room. Making your way down the hall, you didn't stop until you went through the front doors and was standing outside.
Taking in several deep gulps of air, you willed yourself to calm down. It wasn't a big deal. There were other guys. You barely knew him. And there was no way you were ever coming here again.
"Hey, you okay?"
Jumping, you whirled around to gape at Jongup.
He came up to you and with a worried expression. "You ran out of there pretty fast."
"Oh... yeah... I... I just needed some air." You swallowed and your lips. "It's pretty hot in there."
"Yeah." he agreed while nodding. He didn't say anything else for a bit as he stood there, shifting awkwardly. Then he rubbed the back of his neck. "Okay this is going to be rather creepy but I feel like I should be honest. Sezim already gave me your phone number."
You started to nod as well, until you realized exactly what he had said. "Wait, what??"
"Yeah when he ran in to each other a couple of days ago." he said sheepishly while blushing. "I was just going to throw it away, cause what girl would want a random guy having her number, but then I figured..." He shrugged his shoulders. "Just wait and meet you first. Give it a try, and maybe I'd be lucky, and..." He furrowed his eyebrows and surveyed you. "Wait, didn't she...?" He indicated towards the building.
Slowly shaking your head, you said, "No. No, she... Sezim said... Well, that there's a guy she was interested in, and I actually thought..."
"Me?!" he exclaimed in shock before rapidly shaking his head. "No, no, no. Never. I mean, she's nice and all but, no. Nooooo. Nooo. Nooooo."
You laughed at that. "Wow. Okay."
"No, see, we've been friends for a while, and we ran in to each other, and she said that..." A more solemn expression formed on his face while he blushed again. "That she had this... amazing... friend, and that she would bring her to the dance class for me to meet."
Blushing as well, you pressed your lips together. If you knew this was Sezim's plan all along, you definitely wouldn't have agreed to come. She really outsmarted you. And you were thankful, but you weren't going to admit that to her.
"So, amazing girl," He took a step closer. "Would you, pretty please, go on a date with me sometime?"
You shyly looked away for a few seconds before meeting his gaze again. "Yeah, sure."
A huge grin spread on his face. "Great. And I hope I can see you here more often too."
Groaning, you rolled your eyes. "I don't know about that. I don't think I can memorize everything."
"I'm sure you can." he insisted. "We can even practice together, just the two of us. I have a space at my place and we can.." He quickly cut himself and took a step back while shaking his head. "No, wait. That was creepy. I swear I only meant to dance. That's it. No ulterior motive at all. And I'm not gonna chain you up in my closet."
You gaped at him for a bit, while his expression turned from 'embarrassed' to 'mortified'. Then you burst out laughing.
"And that was really creepy and unnecessary." he said, blushing hard.
"It's fine." you assured him.

"Jongup!"
The two of you looked towards the building to see the female instructor holding the door open.
"Did you forget about class? They're waiting for you."
Jongup's face fell. "Oh, ." He turned to you and indicated towards the building. "We should get back."
"Yeah." you agreed and walked with him back inside.
Once you entered the dance room, several pairs of eyes looked between you and Jongup. You avoided everyone's gazes as you hurried to your spot in the back next to Sezim.
"Sorry about that." Jongup stated as he went to the front of the group. "Let's.."
Suddenly someone let out a wolf whistle, followed by a lot of snickering and giggling from the other students.
"Uh..Th..T-th.." stuttered Jongup as his skin flushed.
You could feel yourself blushing heavily as well from embarrassment. Glancing over at Sezim for support, you saw a huge grin on her face.
"Alright, settle down!" The female instructor winked at Jongup. "Save the teasing for after class."
Laughter rang out, but the dancers finally settled down.
"L-let's d-do the chor-rus." Jongup stammered. He turned around so his back was facing the group and a moment later, the music started playing.
You started to follow along when you noticed Sezim standing close to you
"You wanna thank me now or later?" she whispered in your ear.
You replied by pushing her away, making her laugh. Turning your attention back to Jongup, you saw him watching you through the mirror with an amused look on his face. You pressed your lips together in a futile effort to not smile, only for your face to go slack as he mouthed part of the lyrics to you. 'I think you beautiful.'
Instantly you looked down at you feet, willing your heartbeat to slow down and for the butterflies to leave your stomach. Then you looked back up to meet his gaze, mouthing the end of the chorus back at him. 'Try my luck.'