Keeping secrets

Behind the Masks

A/N: This fic is a gift to my friend emmenemoii, I wish you a very happy bday and hopefully this fic is a decent enough gift to you. Happy bday!!


 

Living a double life can be very complicated, so complicated that there are times when both lives can blend into one, and it can be hard to keep so many secrets. There are also times when keeping secrets are necessary. This is some time that 18-year-old, high school student Kim Saeron has learned all too well. Saeron may appear as an everyday high school kid. She goes to school, and is a good daughter to her parents as well as a loving and supportive big sister to her younger siblings. This is an accurate portrayal of Saeron to those closest to her. It’s not the only thing to her, however.

 

She is indeed that young high school kid, but by night she is also a superhero going by the alias, White Knight. It’s rewarding being able to help anyone she can and stand up for the helpless. It’s her way of giving back in some small way to people who are unable to help themselves. One thing she hates about hiding the truth is the lies she has to keep up. The lies she must tell her parents, siblings, and even her best friend Yerim. Whenever she thinks of how dishonest she is to Yerim, it causes an entirely different set of feelings to plague her mind. Yerim is more than just her best friend. She happens to be her closest friend in the world, and despite Yerim being a few years older than her, that didn’t stop them from bonding and becoming so close.

 

The fact that they are so close makes the secret that much harder to keep. It’s not that Saeron doesn’t trust Yerim more than anything. She would trust the slightly older girl with her life. The truth is Saeron just doesn’t want her to get hurt if she gets too close to her other life. The younger girl has feelings that go beyond friendship for her too, and she also makes sure to keep those feelings secret too. It’s about 11 pm when the masked superhero climbs into her bedroom window.

 

Tonight, was a particularly rough night because she hadn’t been doing her normal patrols as usual. She had to deal with a certain headache that just doesn’t seem to want to leave her alone. Saeron isn’t the only superhero around Seoul, but she isn’t exactly like the others. She is a regular human being without any cool X-ray vision, telekinesis, ability to fly, nor does she even possess any superhuman strength. She is just a regular girl with cool gadgets, brains, and compassion to do the right thing whenever she can. The other superheroes don’t usually include her, and she is used to working alone.

 

There is the matter of the headache, or rather her arch rival whom goes only by MysteriousK. Saeron doesn’t know much about this masked woman. She only knows she shows up a lot when she’s trying to save the day. It was also clear from their first encounter that MysteriousK had powers. Saeron knows because she was hit with some sort of electric shock when making contact with the other superhero. Another thing Saeron noticed was MysteriousK wasn’t necessarily evil. She seemed to be more the vigilante type. Nevertheless, MysteriousK is no friend of hers and Saeron wants as little to do with her as possible.

 

The teen slips into her bedroom and goes right into her closet. She designed a room inside where she can safely change in and out of her suit. The dark-haired girl carefully removes her white uniform and hangs it up. She did get hit in the shoulder when dodging an electrical shock from MysteriousK.

 

“She got me good here.” Saeron whispers and touches her bruising shoulder. The teen goes to get antiseptics and bandage cloth. It’s not the first time Saeron has gotten hurt in a fight. She has gone up against all sorts of villains and heroes alike, and she has come out hurt more times than she would like to remember. There was something different about MysteriousK in the sense that Saeron doesn’t think the other girl is trying to hurt her intentionally.

 

Once she has cleaned the wound properly and changed into pajamas for the night. The dark-haired girl notices she has a text message on her cell. It’s from none other than Yerim. She smiles as she sees her friend’s face flashing on her screen.

 

“Yerimie, hey. What’s going on?”

 

“Ronnie!” Yerim says excitedly. “It’s been a while since we’ve had time to meet. Are you free tomorrow?”

 

Since Yerim is a few years older than she is. Her best friend is preparing for college and that means they will probably not see each other as often as they have in the past. Saeron quickly agrees to meeting tomorrow and says she can’t wait. The younger girl feels her heart skip some beats when she hears the laugh on the other end. If only Yerim knew how she truly felt for her, or how she unknowingly makes her heart thump loudly in her chest. Saeron pushes those thoughts to the back of her mind.

 

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, bye Yerimie.”

 

“Bye, I’ll see you.”

 

Having that brief conversation with the older girl makes Saeron feel a lot better about her encounter with her rival. It’s been about a year now since they met and they’ve been each other’s enemy ever since. Saeron thinks it’s a shame because maybe in another life the two of them could have been friends. Saeron in her regular life doesn’t have many friends. She’s always been sort of a loner, an outcast even, and struggled to build connections. If it weren’t for Yerim she doesn’t think she would have ever built a connection to another person. Her friendship with the older girl made it possible for her to also make some other friends too, but her strongest bond is always with Yerim.


 

“I could never tell her about my secret. It’s better if she never has to know.”


 

The dark-haired teen climbs into bed. Thank god it’s Saturday tomorrow and she doesn’t have school. She really is looking forward to seeing her best friend. It will provide her with a much needed distraction from thoughts of that MysteriousK girl. Saeron does manage to get to sleep, despite the dull pain in her shoulder. She feels like she barely got any sleep at all when her alarm rings so loudly she nearly jumps out of bed.

 

“Time to wake up.” The dark-haired girl yawns. She gets up and heads for a shower. Saeron prides herself on she’s been able to keep her secret from Yerim. She hasn’t given away a single clue and the young teen hopes that it remains. After she showers and dresses. Saeron grabs something quick to eat for breakfast and makes her way to meet her best friend. It’s no surprise at all to the younger girl that she arrives first. Saeron has always been the more mature and responsible of the two. It’s not to say that Yerim also isn’t responsible. There have just been many times in which people have mistaken herself as the older of the two. It’s a fact that Saeron likes to occasionally tease Yerim about.

 

Saeron pauses when she feels two pairs of hands covering her eyes, and then a huge kiss being planted against her cheek. There’s no one else who would do this to her but her best friend.

 

“You always do that.” The dark-haired girl laughs and gently pushes her away.

 

“I love you of course, why wouldn’t I greet you with kisses.”

 

Saeron has heard this sort of talk from Yerim before. She tries to remind herself to not get too caught up in these behaviors. Yerim likes to have fun and play around. Her best friend couldn’t possibly mean her playful flirting.

 

“Yeah, okay. Sit, I didn’t order anything yet.”

 

The older blonde nods and sits down in the seat across from Saeron. Neither of them are particularly hungry having both ate breakfast, so they both choose smoothies. They spend time catching up a bit and Saeron asks Yerim if she’s excited about her upcoming college term. The friends are having basic conversations when they can hear other people discussing MysteriousK.

 

“Did you hear about MysteriousK? Rumor is she saved a school bus full of kids from crashing.”

 

“MysteriousK is so cool.”

 

Saeron makes a face at that and Yerim does notice. She playfully pokes her cheek then.

 

“What’s the matter, you don’t like this MysteriousK person?” Yerim wonders while sipping some of her strawberry smoothie.

 

“She seems like a show off.”

 

“Oh, and how would you know that? Have you met her before.”

 

“No.” Saeron denies. “It’s just when I hear about her from the news articles. She seems like a show off.”

 

Yerim nods and seems to accept that answer. If the older girl is suspicious in anyway she doesn’t show up. They continue with their conversation as if nothing even happened, that is until Saeron’s device beeps off in her bag. She designed a device similar to a cell phone, but in reality it lets her know if there is trouble nearby.

 

“I need to go.”

 

“Go where. We barely had any time to hang out?”

 

“I’m sorry, Yerimie. I really need to get going, I’ll call you?”

 

The dark-haired girl takes off without waiting for the older girl to say anything. Saeron disappears into a nearby alley and changes quickly into her white suit and mask. She scales the building and takes off into the direction of where the signal beamed. There is nothing like the rush of running into the action, and hopefully helping whoever it is in trouble. Saeron spots what is two men cornering some woman and her child. The very sight of such bullying makes her blood boil. She herself knows all too well what it’s like being bullied and having cruel people in her life. Her childhood of having bullies or people treating her like an outcast helped her decide to take up the superhero mantle.


 

Saeron crouches down low to avoid being spotted and is about to jump down on one of the men, when a flash of dark purple comes out of nowhere.

 

“Hey, leave them alone!”

 

“What?” Saeron looks to see its none other than MysteriousK. She doesn’t know how the other girl got here, but she barely can intervene when MysteriousK takes on both of the men. She moves so fast like lightning with her electricity filled punches and kicks. Saeron doesn’t even have time to assist when she hears the purple colored figure asking the mother and child if they’re okay.

 

“They won’t be bothering either of you anymore. Are you hurt at all?” She bends down to the child in particular.

 

“No, we’re okay. Thank you so much, MysteriousK.” The mother assures. Saeron sighs and can’t believe her luck. Why couldn’t MysteriousK not show up and go help anywhere else? There are always people in need of assistance. Saeron sees she’s not needed here and so she prepares to go.

 

“Hey, White Knight. You should say thank you.”

 

“Thank you?” Saeron turns back to look at the purple masked girl. There is a cockiness in the way she’s standing with her hand on her hip. Saeron thinks she’s right to think the other superhero is a show off.

 

“I took care of this situation before you could even lift a finger.”

 

“I didn’t ask you to.”

 

“By the time you got to it, those two men would have gotten away with their crime. Luckily for you I took care of it, bye for now Loser Knight.” MysteriousK waves and disappears fast. Saeron rolls her eyes under her mask. MysteriousK is just like all the other superheroes with powers. They’re so full of themselves. Saeron is willing to bet it they didn’t have any powers they wouldn’t be so cocky. Since there’s no longer anything to be done here, Saeron quietly leaves the scene before police or press can arrive.

 

She feels badly for running out on Yerim that way, however. The first chance she gets she sends a text to her.

 

“I’m sorry I had to leave so suddenly. Let’s re do this soon?”

 

Moments later there is a ping notification from the older girl.

 

“It’s okay. I had something come up too, why don’t you come over and have dinner with my family and I. Next week, okay?”

 

Saeron tells her that next week would be perfect, and of course she asks if she can bring anything over. Yeri tells her not to worry about it and just bring her pretty self.

 

“Silly.”


 

Yerim always has a way of putting a smile on her face. Saeron once again temporarily forgets about MysteriousK and how aggravating she is, only she is quickly reminded again when the online news articles come in.

 

“MysteriousK does it again!”

 

“Superhero in purple: The lovely MysteriousK.”

 

“Masked hero saves woman and her child.”

 

All these headlines and more are describing the amazing, heroic efforts of her rival. Saeron groans and falls into her bed. She is really sick of hearing about MysteriousK.

 

“I hope she doesn’t show up again.”

 

Saeron longs for the days when she could patrol the streets and not deal with this purple outfitted show off. The only place she doesn’t have to worry too much about MysteriousK is at school. In an odd twist of events a lot of her classmates talk much about the White Knight. They talk about her without really knowing they’re talking about her.

 

“Guys the White Knight is so cool.”

 

“I know right! She’s not like some of the other superhero’s. She’s like a regular person just doing the right thing.”

 

It’s funny how a girl who is so used to having limited friends, and being treated as an outcast, that in her secret life. Her life as the White Knight she is celebrated and treated as special. Saeron continues with her reading and pretends not to be listening to the active conversations going on around her. At the same time it’s quite flattering to be recognized, even if she as her regular everyday self isn’t. The White Knight is the hero as far as everyone else is concerned.

 

“Hey, Saeron.” One of her classmates nudges her to get her attention.

 

“Yes?”

 

“What do you think of the White Knight? She’s really cool, right?”

 

The dark-haired girl nods in agreement. She doesn’t elaborate further and her classmate turns back to the others to keep talking. As usual she is left on her own, but that’s to be expected. Saeron doesn’t consider herself particularly close to any of her school classmates. They’re acquaintances at best. She doesn’t mind because she does have a small group of genuine friends, with Yerim being her absolute best friend amongst the group. She and the older girl are so close and share so many things with one another. There have been times when Saeron has considered telling Yerim the truth. One time in particular had been when she was injured in a fight and Yerim wanted to know how she got her bruises.


 

(Flashback)

 

Saeron had did her best to clean and bandage her shoulder as much as possible. The known criminal she was fighting is known for his fire powers. On top of all that he is also skilled in martial arts, and she unfortunately took several blows to her body while defending some innocent civilians. She did her best with the medicines and bandages she had at home because she didn’t want to alert her parents in anyway. The very last thing she wanted to do was let them find out that she is also the White Knight.

 

She tried to get out of meeting with Yerim today, only because she is still injured and it won’t take long before her best friend notices.

 

“Ronnie!” The blonde waves from where she’s sitting.

 

When she sees the smile on Yerim’s face it makes her feel those butterflies and her cheeks get warm. She knows why she wanted to stay home, but being around her best friend makes her forget about everything, well almost. Yerim hugs her so tightly as expected, but it makes Saeron flinch in pain. The older girl gently pulls out of the hug to see what’s wrong.

 

“How did you get hurt?” Yerim asks.

 

“I fell getting out of bed this morning.”

 

Yerim raises her eyebrow in suspicion. She finds it hard to believe that Saeron fell out of bed. Instead of grilling her about this alleged falling out of bed situation, Yerim hugs her again slowly.

 

“Be careful okay, Ronnie.”

 

(End)


 

Every time she thinks about their bond and connection Saeron reminds herself to not tell her secret. She would never want for anything bad to happen to Yerim because of her superhero life. Her last class ends and she makes her way home. She has a lot of homework and studying she needs to do. The dark-haired teen goes straight home and hits the books. Halfway into her homework she falls asleep and during this sleep she dreams. She dreams about finally telling her best friend she has feelings for her. Dreams are always better than reality because in our dreams they can go the way we want them too. Saeron confesses and Yerim returns her feelings. They lean in for the kiss at the same time and that’s when Saeron is jolted awake by her alarm.

 

“How long was I asleep?” She yawns, and checks the time on her phone. It’s passed 8 and she didn’t finish her homework. The dark-haired girl looks also to see a plate of food next to her books, it still feels warm and she knows without a doubt her mom has put this there for her.

 

“Thanks, Mom.” She thinks with a smile, and eats the food her mom left for her. Once she has new found energy she’s able to complete her assignments, shower, and change for bed. She lays in bed for awhile just thinking about her dream. It was a nice dream, but it could never be, right? It could never work out as well for her in real life as in a dream. One thing that is no dream is when she’s dealing with bad guys and it’s only herself. Saeron dodges incoming blows as well as one guy with ice powers. It’s time like these she thinks having a partner might not be such a bad thing.

 

“Oh, not so tough now, are you Weak Knight!” One of the men laughs as he is seconds away from hitting her. Saeron rolls out of the way and the next thing she knows there is an arrow being fired, and the man falls.

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“Three against one isn’t exactly fair.” MysteriousK says as she pulls back her silver crossbow. She’s not wearing her usual purple suit, as it’s replaced by an all black bodysuit and metallic boots.

 

“MysteriousK, come to save your friend?” The ice man taunts. Saeron uses the opportunity to attack from behind with her katana.

 

“She’s not my friend.” Saeron tells him as she strikes. There’s another difference between herself and MysteriousK. Saeron never aims to hurt. She fights back to defend herself, but when she strikes it’s never with the intent to physically harm someone. MysteriousK isn’t like that. She aims to hurt, as out the corner of her eye Saeron can see the other girl summoning fire from her fingertips and aiming at the ice wielder.

 

“What are you doing!” Saeron shouts as she restrains the man who had her cornered earlier with a pair of handcuffs. The cops can deal with him. MysteriousK looks down at her.

 

“Stay out of this. If I don’t finish him he’ll just end one of us.” She raises her hand with fire aimed at the ice man. Saeron jumps up from the ground and pushes MysteriousK out of the way. It gives the villain time to start running.

 

“What the hell!” The dark suited girl snarls. “You had no right to interrupt me!”

 

“You were going to kill him. You’re a superhero, aren’t you?” Saeron shouts back in anger. Saeron has never believed in such a vengeance. MysteriousK sounded like she would have taken his life and not feel badly about it.

 

“You don’t know anything about me, back off.” MysteriousK bumps her shoulder hard and takes off in a flash. Saeron sighs, it’s true she doesn’t know anything about the other superhero, and at this rate she feels she wouldn’t ever want to know anything about her. Saeron doesn’t get away before the press arrive and they take photos.

 

“White Knight! White Knight!” The reporters chant.

 

“Please say something!”

 

Saeron pauses and looks down to the crowd of reporters waiting for her for response. She hasn’t ever really said anything to the press. The dark-haired teen finds she probably doesn’t have much choice, so she does address them before making her getaway.

 

“I’m not doing this for any recognition. I’m just someone who is trying to do what’s right.” With that being said Saeron takes off and hopes that was enough to satisfy the press. When she arrives home there’s a missed call from Yerim. She’s barely out of her suit properly, but she knows she needs to call her back.

 

“Yerim, hi. What’s going on?”

 

“I just needed to hear your voice.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Saeron hears Yerim sighing on the other end. She’s worried now if her best friend is okay. One thing about their friendship is how easy Yerim can come to her for advice, despite her being the older of the two.

 

“It’s just been a long day, and I really needed to hear your voice.”

 

“You know you can talk to me anytime.”

 

“I know, are you sure you’re not the older one?” The blonde teases, because already the tone of her best friend is calming her down. Saeron laughs some and brushes off the comment about her secretly being the oldest.

 

“You’re just immature.”

 

“Haha, so funny.” Yerim deadpans. “I guess I’m just a bit overwhelmed with university coming up soon, and then things will change for the two of us.”

 

The younger girl gets what she’s saying. It’s true that once Yerim does start university things will and can change. They’ll both have such separate schedules and it will be harder for them to meet. Saeron knows that as they’re best friends. The two of them will find ways to still get in that quality time spent together. Saeron then assures Yerim that nothing will change with them.

 

“Hey, we’re still going to be the same no matter what.”

 

“You sound so sure.”

 

The dark-haired girl picks up on something in the blonde’s voice that sounds like hesitancy. She sounds worried about something else entirely, that may not necessarily have to do with the upcoming changes that will occur once she starts university. Saeron is about to ask her if there’s anything else bothering her, but Yerim thanks her for the talk and ends the call.

 

“Thanks, Ronnie. Anytime I talk to you I always feel better. I’ll see you for dinner soon, right?”

 

“Yeah, I’ll see you soon. Are you sure you’re fine now?”

 

“I’m fine. I’ll talk to you again soon.”

 

Saeron doesn’t get to say more and Yerim ends the call. It was a weird conversation where they normally don’t have conversations that feel that way. The younger girl decides she will confront Yerim about this at dinner. The week flies by so fast that in between her nightly patrols, defending innocent civilians, some random run-ins with MysteriousK, and dealing with her everyday school life. She almost forgets entirely about going to dinner. She arrives and is greeted warmly by Yerim’s mom, and her younger sisters whom practically try to tackle her to the ground. Yerim’s father is no longer in the picture because he had been killed by a well known villain around town. Saeron was there when her best friend received the horrible news. She knows how badly affected Yerim especially was by his loss as she’s the oldest and remembers him best. There are times Saeron is sure she’s not okay about it, even when she claims she is.


 

“Saeronnie, Yerim is in her room. Why don’t you go on up, and I’ll call you both down when dinner is ready?” Yerim’s mom tells her.

 

“Alright, thank you. I’ll go see what she’s up to.”

 

Sareon makes her way to Yerim’s room to see the blonde is laying casually on her bed and writing something down in what looks like a journal. She doesn’t look up when Saeron enters but she responds.

 

“Ronnie, hey. I’m glad you’re here.”

 

The dark-haired girl doesn’t know how she knew it was her automatically. Saeron doesn’t walk with loud and obvious footsteps. She also isn’t wearing any body lotions or perfumes that would give it away.

 

“How’d you…”

 

“I heard my mom tell you to come up.” Yerim admits and turns around. She gets up and goes to hug her in greeting. After the hug Saeron sits down with Yerim on her bed and they watch some Youtube videos for awhile. During one of the advertisements, Saeron is surprised to see there is actual video footage of her fighting what is SwampMan, a villain who utilizes his powers of nature in battle. It was a disgusting fight and she couldn’t get the swamp smell out of her suit no matter what she tried to do. She didn’t know there was someone around recording the fight though. Yerim makes a snorting sound as if annoyed by the White Knight.

 

“What’s the matter, don’t like the White Knight?” The younger asks.

 

“I think she really should sit down and leave the superhero work to the others.”

 

“Oh?” Saeron whispers, and tries not to give it away that she’s a bit offended by the comment made.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s cool she does this. It’s just not realistic. She could get seriously hurt out there since she doesn’t have powers.”

 

Saeron does understand what Yerim is saying, as it’s not anything she hasn’t heard before. At the same time isn’t a hero more than just their powers. Saeron feels she has done a lot of good without having the abilities some of the other’s have.

 

“You sure you don’t hate the White Knight?”

 

“I never said I hated her. Why, when did you become such a fan of hers?”

 

“I’m not.” Saeron quickly denies. Yerim is giving her a look of disbelief however, and that makes the younger girl nervous. She is supposed to be hiding her secret, not making it obvious that she is indeed the White Knight.

 

“Anyway, let’s finish watching this video. I think my mom will be finished with dinner soon.”

 

When it’s dinner time it provides a much needed distraction, as not only is the food delicious, but there is no talk of either White Knight or MysteriousK, which is more than fine with Saeron. The most interesting turn of events is later on when Yerim is walking her to the door so she can go home.

 

“I feel like I should make sure you get home safely, or something.”

 

Saeron laughs at that and feeling suddenly bold she has a response. “This wasn’t a date, Yerimie?”

 

“Wasn’t it though.” Yerim teases with a smile, and takes one of her hands. The younger girl hopes her face isn’t as red as a tomato. She knows how playful her friend can be, but she wouldn’t play this much would she?

 

“Stop kidding.”

 

“What if I’m not kidding?” The blonde says seriously. They are at the door with Saeron looking at Yeri with a questioning gaze.

 

“You’re not saying…”

 

Yeri moves closer and gives her hand a firm squeeze. There is a look in her eyes that isn’t at all playful in the way Saeron is used to. She looks serious and the dark-haired girl is left wondering if perhaps Yerim has had feelings for her too this entire time.

 

“I know I probably shouldn’t be dropping this bomb on you like this, Ronnie. I just have to say this because it’ll drive me crazy if I don’t.”

 

“Yerim, I…”

 

“I really like you.” The blonde says it. “I really like you a lot as more than just my best friend. I hope this doesn’t make things awkward between us.”

 

Saeron shakes her head. There is no way things can be awkward between them when she feels the same exact way.

 

“I like you too.” The dark-haired girl promises with a smile that spreads over her entire face. The fact that Yerim looks surprised only makes her laugh.

 

“Why do you look so surprised?”

 

“I just can’t believe you like me back.”

 

“Really?” Saeron says with a slight deadpan voice. “What’s not to like? You’re fun, nice, pretty, and you’re the closest friend I have.”

 

“You’re the closest friend I have too, Ronnie. Also, look at you!” She gestures to the pretty dark-haired girl. “Not that looks are everything, but I’m not blind either.”

 

“No, I get it. What does this mean though? Should we..” Saeron pauses. “Should we go out on an actual date?”

 

Yerim’s answer is to lean over and kiss her cheek. “I think we definitely should go on a date first, but you get a kiss first.”

 

“You always kiss my cheeks.”

 

“Haha, well no lip kisses until we go on a proper date.”

 

“Okay, then. We won’t officially kiss until our first date. I’ll call you.”

 

Yerim nods. “Call me when you get home so I know you did arrive safely. I want to know if I have to come out and save you.”

 

“More like I’ll be the one saving you.”

 

“Oh, you’re getting bold, Ronnie.” The blonde laughs. “I like it.”

 

“Goodnight, Yerimie.”


 

That night was a very good night. Saeron remembers going to bed with a huge smile on her face, and feeling completely giddy. It’s an amazing feeling when you have feelings reciprocated towards you. Saeron was so sure there was nothing that could ruin her mood. There was always the main problem in MysteriousK. One evening as she was doing her usual patrols Saeron ran into a dilemma. She heard labored breaths of the sounds of someone in pain. She was unable to leave until finding out who was the person hurt. What she sees is a most unexpected sight. Saeron sees it’s MysteriousK and she is clearly wounded.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“It’s you.” The black costumed girl says with a deep breath.

 

“You’re hurt.”

 

“No, , really?” MysteriousK sighs. “I underestimated my enemy.”

 

“I can help you.” Saeron decides as she has extra bandages and antiseptics in a small pouch she carries with her. MysteriousK turns her attention to the girl in white.

 

“Why would you help me?”

 

“You’re a human being.” Saeron tells her and bends down to tend to her wound. Her suit is damaged just by her ribcage and Saeron looks at her for permission to continue.

 

“Yeah, just do what you need to do.”

 

Saeron is very gentle in her motions. She may not get along with her fellow superhero, but that doesn’t mean she would just sit by and let someone stay injured.

 

“You’re really a White Knight aren’t you?” MysteriousK says with a sarcastic tone. Saeron says nothing, and cleans her wound.

 

“You should be fine.”

 

“Yea, thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

Saeron is about to say more but the other girl gets up and leaves without as much as another word. That might have been the most civil they’ve ever been towards each other. Saeron recognizes this was another situation entirely. She’s sure once MysteriousK is feeling back to herself. They will continue on as rivals, just as they’ve always have. Saeron tried her best to put that odd night behind her, after all she has something really good to look forward to. She and Yerim are in a very good place and have been planning their upcoming date. She has no problems at school and the White Knight is getting more recognition.

 

Once again, Saeron has been considering telling the older girl the truth. Their date is coming up really soon, and if they do become an official pair. Saeron feels like this is something Yerim must know. She would be suspicious when Saeron has to leave suddenly, or get more bruises in random places after fights, and more than that it’s so difficult to keep up so many lies at once. The night before their date she and Yerim spend hours talking. This isn’t anything unusual, but in a way it’s different because they’re talking as more than friends. She and the older girl are talking like two people excited about their future, or specifically their future with one another.

 

“Don’t be nervous for tomorrow.” Yerim tells her.

 

“You’re telling me to not be nervous? I’m sure you’re going to be even more nervous than I am.”

 

The blonde laughs then. She doesn’t deny that  Saeron is right.

 

“I know we’re both going to be a little nervous, since we’re used to going out as friends.”

 

“Yeah, I think it’ll be okay. I wanted to go out with you for a really long time, you know as more than just your best friend.”

 

“I feel the same, Ronnie. I’m sure I’ll have a girlfriend by the end of tomorrow night.”

 

Saeron thinks Yerim is right. There is no real reason why they won’t have a great first date, and decide to become official. It’s the outcome that the younger girl hopes for.

 

“I think I’ll have a girlfriend tomorrow night too.”

 

“Good, bring that confidence with you tomorrow. I’ll see you. Have a goodnight.”

 

“You too, goodnight Yerimie.”

 

Saeron hopes she isn’t blushing too hard, not that Yerim can see her right now anyway. She really is so excited about the date, and hopes things will go well. The two decided on a Saturday night where no one would worry too much about having to be somewhere the following morning. The last few hours before the date were really some of the most nerve wracking. Saeron struggled for so long on deciding what to wear. She ultimately decided on a pretty but simple black dress, black shoes, and just in case there is any danger. She has the device she created that will immediately transform her clothes into her newly updated suit. It’s her hope she won’t have to go fight a bad guy. She wants to have this one event free date night with the girl she cares about.

 

When she finally deems herself ready to go. She tells her parents she will be home before curfew and heads to meet Yerim at the restaurant. They both agreed on something simple and intimate with just the two of them. They could enjoy some good food and talk. When she arrives Yerim is there to her surprise and she looks so pretty in her red dress, and hair parted to the side. Yerim looks up when she sees her and looks stunned.

 

“Your mouth is wide open.” Saeron teases, and gently closes Yerim’s mouth when she gets near her. The blonde pushes her hand away.

 

“You look really pretty. Well, you’re always pretty. I just…”

 

“I blow you away.” The dark-haired girl smiles.

 

“Yeah, you do. Well, aren’t you going to also say how pretty I am?” Yerim gives an exaggerated twirl that makes the taller girl crack up in loud laughter. The blonde never fails to make her laugh.

 

“You’re very pretty, Kim Yerim.”

 

“See, that wasn’t so hard. Come on let’s sit.” Yerim reaches for her hand and they walk over to their table. Saeron feels all sorts of emotions all at once. She is excited, anxious, nervous, and happy. It’s like too many wonderful thoughts filling her up all at once. This is something the dark-haired girl didn’t think would ever happen. The two order and as they wait for their meals. While they wait it’s Yerim that asks the first question.

 

“How long have you liked me?”

 

“For awhile now.” Saeron admits. “I just didn’t want to say anything. I really didn’t want to risk our friendship, especially if you didn’t end up feeling the same.”

 

The blonde nods in understanding. She reaches again for Saeron’s hand, and tells her that she’s really glad that they’re here at this point. Saeron smiles and assures her she is glad too. They manage to have to a full 30 minutes before Saeron gets the alert that there’s trouble.

 

“I’ll be right back, I have to go to the bathroom.”

 

“Alright, don’t let your food get cold.”

 

The dark-haired teen hopes it doesn’t take too long. She walks towards where the bathroom is, and makes a sharp turn when Yerim turns her head. She presses the button to activate her when she’s outside, and proceeds to take off in the direction of the signal. This is something that wasn’t an issue when she and the blonde were just friends. Now, that they are seriously considering a future with one another. Saeron knows without a doubt her having to leave to help people will become an issue, as long as they’re a couple that is. Saeron crouches down low against the roof of the building. It looks to be a typical mugging. She can handle this and get back to her date.

 

“Hey, it’s not nice to try to rob someone who is defenseless.” She warns the attempted robber and dives down to jump on the back of the man. The teen gives a few sharp roundhouse kicks to his torso. He stumbles and falls to the ground. Saeron retrieves the purse and hands it back to the woman.

 

“Here you go, Ma’am.”

 

“Thank you, White Knight.”

 

“You’re welcome, have a good evening, Ma’am.”

 

Saeron makes a quick getaway back to the restaurant. She hits the button to make her suit disappear, and then climbs through the left open window. When she gets back to the table she oddly finds that Yerim is gone. She wonders where she’s gone but soon feels two hands over her eyes, and a pair of soft lips against her ear.

 

“Guess who?”

 

“My beautiful, girlfriend?” Saeron boldly claims. Yerim grins and does kiss her on the cheek before sitting down again.

 

“We’ll see how the rest of the night goes.”

 

The two continue to talk and enjoy the rest of their food. Yerim is looking over the dessert menu with interest.

 

“They have this banana ice cream here that sounds good.”

 

“Yerim, I…” The younger girl stops because again she’s getting the signal that something is going on.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Nothing, I’ll be right back.”

 

“Bathroom again? I’m starting to think you’re ditching me here?”

 

“No, I’ll make it quick.” Saeron promises and takes off again like going to the bathroom. She just couldn’t get one evening without having to be the White Knight. Crime doesn’t sleep the teen supposes. The signal eventually leads her towards an abandoned building. It also doesn’t look like there is anything wrong here in particular. She remains on her guard the entire time, but the next thing she knows a large boomerang is being flung at her direction. She dodges but only barely.

 

“I knew I’d get you here eventually.” She hears the voice of MysteriousK. The other girl is again in her purple suit. There just seems to be some enhancements made, not to mention new weapons. Saeron doesn’t understand how it is MysteriousK manipulated her device and faked a distress signal.

 

“Don’t waste time thinking about how I discovered your little device. You should be more careful during our fights.”

 

It’s then Saeron realizes she must have scanned her or found out some way during one of the previous encounters they had.

 

“I don’t want to fight you.” The White Knight lets her know. She really doesn’t want to fight MysteriousK, why should they fight when they could be amicable at the least.

 

“Too bad, because I want to fight you.” The purple masked girl jumps down with electricity covering her entire body. Saeron dodges and knows she’s going to have to stay away from her electricity, as much as she possibly can. The white masked hero hides behind a wall and pulls out her katana. She runs for MysteriousK who moves to the side with her own electric charged sword in hand. The two swords clash.

 

“You know there is no way you’ll actually beat me.” MysteriousK tells her.

 

“Why do you want to fight so badly? There’s no need.” Saeron tells her and pushes her away some. MysteriousK recovers and brings her sword down aiming at the White Knight. Saeron gets slashed by the electric blade and the scream that echoes the building is full of pain. MysteriousK tries again to slash her, but Saeron dodges as best as she can. She will keep trying to talk sense into her rival.

 

“You don’t have to do this.”

 

“It’s no fun if you’re not going to actually fight me back. I’ll make it fair for you since you have no powers.” MysteriousK throws her sword down and strikes with fists. There is no electric charged energy this time, which significantly evens the playing field between them. Saeron finds she has very little choice here. She’s going to have to defend herself. She punches the purple masked girl in the face. MysteriousK flinches but shrugs it off. They exchange blows each harder than the last. The two girls are almost evenly matched in all areas from the strength of their kicks, delivery of fists to the body, and agility. They strike each other hard enough it sends both girls flying back against two separate corners of the room. They’re both breathing heavily and it’s then Saeron notices some of MysteriousK’s mask coming off.

 

“We don’t have to...do this…” Saeron breathes. “I don’t want to be your enemy.”

 

MysteriousK looks at the mask that is slashed and coming off of the White Knight’s face. In truth she also doesn’t want to fight the other hero either. She had much bigger fish to fry.

 

“Your mask is coming off.”

 

“Yours too.” Saeron nods. “Listen, let’s end this.” She slowly gets up and makes her way over to where MysteriousK is sitting.

 

“How do you suppose we do that, Loser Knight.”

 

“We can start by taking off the masks, and show our true selves. I’ll go first if it makes you feel better.”

 

The purple suited hero watches her stone expression turns into one of horror when she sees who’s under the mask. The dark-haired girl is slashed badly across the face and looks hurt. She is hurt but she is still offering a kind smile.

 

“See, I’m just a girl like you. Hi, my name is…”

 

“Ronnie…”

 

It’s the way MysteriousK says her name that causes Saeron to stumble back and fall on the ground. She looks on in shock at the girl on the ground, for it could only be one person. Saeron pulls herself together long enough to crawl over to where the other girl sits. She reaches forward with shaking hand and touches the mask.

 

“Yerim?” The younger girl whispers with a sad tone. The blonde is looking up at her with eyes full of unshed tears.

 

“I’m sorry, Ronnie. I didn’t know it was you this whole time.”

 

Saeron gently wipes away the tears as they fall from her best friend’s face. This couldn’t have happened at the worst time. Just a little while ago they were having a good date and both excited for their future. Saeron doesn’t understand why it could turn out like this. Yerim being MysteriousK was just about the last thing she had expected to happen. Saeron falls down on the ground in front of her.

 

“I can’t believe this. You’re MysteriousK?”

 

“You’re the White Knight. I guess I can’t be so surprised because you’re always someone trying to do right thing no matter what.”

 

Now the younger girl has so many questions, only where should she begin? The first most pressing one is how come she never knew Yerim had powers this whole time?

 

“We’ve been fighting each other this whole time, and we didn’t know it.” The dark-haired teen softly says.

 

“Yeah, talk about messed up.” Yerim sighs. “I’m sorry about hurting you. I didn’t know it was you behind the mask, if I had any idea I wouldn’t have ever laid a finger on you.”

 

Saeron does know that if Yerim knew she wouldn’t have attacked her. It’s all just a mess and now neither girl know what to do.

 

“I can’t believe just a little while ago, we were both just ready for the future and now this.”

 

Yerim sighs and leans back against the wall. It’s not anything she could have anticipated either. She knew the White Knight was her rival. Yerim didn’t ever think her rival was also her best friend, and the girl she wants to be with. There is silence for a long time until Saeron talks first.

 

“I don’t know what this all means now. We’ve both been hiding these huge personal secrets from one another.”

 

“I don’t know either. I just know I really don’t want to lose you, Ronnie. I don’t want for this to come between us.”

 

The dark-haired girl doesn’t want for anything to come between them either. At the same time they can’t just ignore what happened here. They’re going to need to talk and do so very honestly. Saeron doesn’t want for her to think she isn’t still serious about her, and them. They younger girl softly touches her face and leans down to kiss the blonde. Yerim is stunned by the kiss as she wasn’t expecting for it. After a few moments Yerim does return to the kiss and it feels like a promise. It’s a silent promise that maybe things aren’t okay now, but they will be. Everything’s going to be okay.

 

“We’ll be okay.” Saeron tells her.

 

“I hope so.” Yerim leans her head against the younger girl’s. They sit in a comfortable silence for a while, and then Saeron suggests they go home, get cleaned up and meet back to talk. Yerim agrees and the two promise to meet back up within an hour. It would no doubt be a tough conversation but it’s one that needs to happen.

 

“I’ll see you in a little while.” Yerim lets her know.

 

“Yeah, I’ll see you soon.” Saeron gives her another hug and they go their separate ways. The last thing Saeron wants is for her family to see her current condition. She gets home and climbs up to her room and goes to clean her face as much as possible. She’s bruising some too and has to also stop and take care of those injuries. Saeron has been thinking the whole time about what she will say to Yerim. The dark-haired teen thinks she will just go in and follow whatever her heart tells her. She changes clothes and wears a comfortable dark sweater and jeans. When she arrives later on Yerim is already there sitting down on the park bench.

 

The blonde doesn’t look anything like she’s been in a fight. Saeron wonders if she has some regeneration abilities too. MysteriousK could never be defined with one power because Saeron had seen her use multiple types of powers. It makes sense in a way because Yerim herself is like a chaotic storm, it makes sense her powers could be too.

 

“Hey, you came?” Yerim turns then when she notices her.

 

“Did you think I wouldn’t show?”

 

“I couldn’t have been sure. You just found out I’m MysteriousK, and I’ve been the one fighting you this whole time.”

 

Saeron slowly sits down on the bench too. She is hurt but then she has also been lying to Yerim this whole time too. Aren’t they both guilty of keeping secrets and hiding?

 

“I lied to you too, Yerimie.”

 

“Why did you? You’ve been the White Knight longer than I’ve been MysteriousK. Why didn’t you think you could tell me the truth?”

 

“It wasn’t that I couldn’t trust you or didn’t want to. It’s just dangerous being a superhero, and if we continued to get closer I didn’t want to have you possibly hurt. You mean so much to me.”

 

Yerim understands. She had similar reasons as to why she never revealed her truth about her powers. She was also scared to lose her best friend.

 

“You mean so much to me as well.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you had powers? How come I never knew this about you?”

 

“It’s complicated. I didn’t really come into my powers until I was 9, and it’s been difficult to hide them from others. Do you remember when I would touch you and you’d feel that little shock?”

 

“Yea, but I just assumed it was the static when people touch. I couldn’t have imagined you had powers.”

 

“I’m sorry I hid this from you, Ronnie. I just became a superhero mostly to find the man who killed my dad.”

 

It all makes sense then. Saeron always has the feeling that MysteriousK was more the vigilante type. She does help people too but she always fought with vengeance and aggression in her moves. Saeron realizes then she should have known that Yerim was MysteriousK.

 

“Hey, you don’t have to do this alone. We can work together as both the White Knight and MysteriousK. We can find the man who killed your dad together. You’re really strong, Yerimie.”

 

The older girl laughs weakly. “I’m not so strong, but I think I can be stronger with you, Saeron. You don’t even have powers but did you let that stop you? No, you just kept on going and fighting. You’ve done so much good.”

 

“Don’t sell yourself short. MysteriousK is also a really big deal. I just think together we could be even better.”

 

Yerim smiles softly and then lightly bumps her shoulder. Those words can be taken as more than just them working together as a superhero duo.

 

“We’re better together, hm?”

 

“Yeah, I think so. Don’t you?”

 

“Yeah, I think so too. I know we need time to figure this all out, but I know I want to do this together. I want to be with you, Saeron.”

 

It’s what Saeron still wants too. There’s nothing that has changed for her. She still wants Yerim as more than a friend, and together they can work through this revelation and look forward to the future.

 

“I want you too.”

 

“Well, what are you waiting for? Why don’t you come kiss me already?”

 

Saeron doesn’t have to be told twice. She’s been wanting to kiss those lips again anyway. They lean in at the same time for the kiss that seals everything. It takes several long minutes before both girls break away. Yerim sneaks in a few more kisses at the end and that makes the dark-haired girl laugh.

 

“Hey, I’m kind of glad you know this now. I don’t have to hide from you anymore.” Saeron tells her when they walk away hand in hand.

 

“We don’t have to hide things from one another anymore. We’re a team right, Ronnie?”

 

“We’re a team.”

 

They walk together towards Yerim’s house. Saeron insisted on walking her girlfriend home, even though the blonde said she was the oldest, but she also didn’t complain when Saeron kissed her and said she was walking her home anyway.

 

“Can you imagine those headlines? MysteriousK and the White Knight, exclusive crime fighting duo?” Yerim states.

 

“I like the sound of that, especially the duo part.”

 

“You’re my girlfriend now, aren’t you?” The blonde asks.

 

“Yeah, I’m your girlfriend. I’m so lucky to be dating MysteriousK.” Saeron teases. Yerim punches her in the arm then.

 

“Shut up, Loser Knight.” She teases back and kisses her against the lips.

 

“Ah, but I’m your loser Knight.”

 

The blonde rolls her eyes but squeezes her hand anyway. Both girls think they’re lucky to have one another, and to have this newfound aspect of their relationship to look forward to. The people might be shocked to learn that MysteriousK and the White Knight are going to team up and fight together. More than that, Kim Saeron and Kim Yerim are just two people who know they’re stronger together than apart.


 

A/N: hey friend :) my action skills are very lacking but you know I tried my best for you and I wanted you to have something decent on your bday. You’re a cool person, and I’m glad you’re my friend, happy birthday!!! I hope this was a good read for you.