Kiss me on top

Ferris Wheel~

Though nearing the end of the weekend even and the warmth of summer before the leaves change to a crisp set of colors the carnival was still in town on the boardwalk causing all kinds of attraction with its happy music and joyful mouth watering scents of food. Hakyeon walked the pier hand wrapped around the cotton candy cone, it's pink and light blue swirl meeting his mouth and sugary sweetness causing a smile. Hakyeon's wrist was dressed in multicolor glow stick bracelets of blues, yellows and greens while his neck was laced with purple and red necklace. He wore a beanie over his brown hair, a leather jacket over a white t-shirt and a set of light blue skinny jeans complimenting his boots. Hakyeon wasn't by all means a care in the world to age when it came to carnivals, infact it was one of the places where he wasn't alone as an adult to enjoy rides and delicious food. Hakyeon was mainly here for the aesthetics as he'd enjoyed the colors and emotions of people having a good time, the usic setting the mood over the areas and playing on rides, the screams melting in between the lyrics and beats as the sling shot or coasters launched and dropped or looped those who had fear but enjoyment. 

The summer breeze blew through the holes on the crowds and carnival game tents to strike Hakyeon with a breath of freshness and devour his sould with peace. There was only one ride he'd love more than anything at the carnival, one that's lights reached just as high as the midnight goodbye fireworks. He stopped and took out his phone sliding upwards with his thumb over the camera icon. Hakyeon adjusted the cotton candy to a stable position before he snapped a few pictures of the ferris wheel. The twirl, heartbeat and rainfall design of the twinkling lights shinning in his eyes as it turned it's crowd one way, stopped and back the other. He smiled looking over his pictures knowing that these were going on his memory wall. Sure the pictures were beautiful, but there was nothing greater than the real thing.

"Are you going on the ferris wheel?"

A warm voice had entered Hakyeon's bubble, sweet like cotton candy and warm like the summer breeze. He turned his attention from the phone to the person talking to him. Hakyeon was met with a male smiling pearly whites at him. He was holding a lime green ballon and a soda can in his hand which Hakyeon was unsure since the lable was covered. "Ah, yeah later on just before the fireworks." he answered rubbing the back of his neck.

"That's the perfect time."

Hakyeon nodded with a smile. The man before him was wearing a red t-shirt sleeves a comfortable loose fit and an alien holding a peace sign on the front. The shirt hung a bit lower than his jeans button which were a pair of black ripped jeans that overlapped his worn red converse. Hakyeon smiled bigger as he thought it was cute. "So what are you here for?" he asked watching the males tongue slip out to wet the plump bottom lip. His eyes met the males again.

"I'm here for the food." He chuckled and held up his can. "I specifically enjoy the burgers." and smiled even more when Hakyeon laughed.

Hakyeon covered his mouth with the back of his hand. After he relaxed he'd cleared his throat and nodded. "My names Hakyeon... and yours?" he asked looking at the male with twinkling eyes.

"My names Jaehwan, ." he stretched his free hand out to shake Hakyeon's.

"It's nice to meet you Jaehwan." he started and finished with. "I should let you go, I've yet to eat anything and right now thanks to you a burger sounds amazing." he waved before turning with an addtional ."Have fun." and began to walk away, or at least took a step and was stopped.

"Hakeyon wait!" Jaehwan called over the music with an arm stretched.

"Hm?" Hakyeon asked turning back and looking at Jaehwan confused. "Yes?"

"Are you... are you here with anyone?" Jaehwan asked sheepishly.

Hakyeon blinked, that was a peculiar question... he took that one step back to Jaehwan. "No, I'm here by myself." he answered. "Why do you ask?"

Jaehwan was hesitant at first but shrugged his shoulders. "I'm here by myself too, and I was thinking about leaving until I saw you. You know, taking pictures. You maybe wanna play some carnival games?"

"Hm..." Hakyeon pondered for a moment and looked around at the still busy pier as all the sounds came back to him. He turned back to Jaehwan. "It would be ashamed to waste such a beautiful night." he smiled when Jaehwan's eyes lit up. "Which game should I kick your at?" he asked, smile turning to a smirk.

Jaehwan scoffed. "I wouldn't be so sure of yourself." he spat back. "I'm a champ at the milk bottle game."

"Ohhhh kay mr big shot. Let's start there and see what you've got." Hakyeon challenged. He looked at his phone for the time, it was nine pm now giving them a solid two hours to play games and eat before the firework launch and Hakeyon did not want to miss that at all. He followed Jaehwan a little ways down the pier away from the ferris wheel and coaster to the milk bottle game, there was about three couples there and one that had just left the spot with no luck.

"You're up first." Jaehwan spoke after he'd paid the man behind the booth. 

"Oh wow. Such a gentleman for paying for my ticket." Hakyeon teased with an eye roll. "Hold this." he handed Jaehwan his cotton candy and took his spot infront of the counter as the guy stepped away from the milk bottles to hand over three baseballs. Hakyeon took them with a thanks and then turned back to Jaehwan. "I'm warning you, I'm really good at these games too."

"Then show me what you've got." Jaehwan nodded to the milk bottles.

Hakyeon smirked and turned back to the bottles, baseball at the ready. His first throw hit the two on the right but not the third. He heard Jaehwan shout a 'First strike!' behind him but waited until the guy behind the booth set the bottles up again. Hakyeon's second baseball hit the total opposite, two milk bottles on the left this time but not the last one. A 'strike two.' came from behind him. The last ball hit just the top bottle and Hakyeon sighed in angered defeat stepping back into Jaehwan's 'strike three.' call and tsks. He turned to Jaehwan and shrugged his shoulders. "Guess I'm not as good as I thought."

"Or... you lied to me~" Jaehwan teased as he stepped up to the spot and handed the man behind the booth some money. He turned to Hakyeon and nodded to the prizes above. "Which one?" Jaehwan asked with a smile.

"Are you asking me to pick out a giant stuffed animal?" Hakyeon questioned although he'd known that is what Jaehwan was talking about. "Those take a solid three knockouts to get you know... there's no way you're that good." he crossed his arms.

"Will you quit doubting my skill and pick a prize?, please?" Jaehwan smiled.

"Alright..." Hakyeon amused the other by walking up to the counter and leaning on it. He looked up and pointed directly above. "I'll take the alien." he winked to Jaehwan.

Jaehwan shook his head with a pearly smile. "Okay. That's not what I was expecting." he then lined up his position after Hakyeon leaned off the booth and stood next to him again.

"You told me to pick one, so I did. But I doubt that you'll win it..." Hakyeon looked at the side of Jaehwan's face as he stuck his tongue out just a centimeter in concentration. To Hakyeon's shock and inner defeat to his ego Jaehwan had struck the first set of bottles knocking them down. He blinked. "Oh." he mouthed. "Ok." he watched as Jaehwan took the second baseball to his hand and then lined up his throw and knocked the bottles down again. "Okay beginners luck..." Hakyeon groaned, but he knew it wasn't since Jaehwan turned to him with the smug look on his face. Hakyeon emitted a small smile. The last throw hit with a fast ball and actually shattered one of the milk glasses. Hakyeon hid his laughter behind the plushed green alien as he'd watched Jaehwan frantically apologize and pay for the milk bottle. Hakyeon carried the alien plush tightly in his arms as he walked next to Jaehwan.

"Which games next? or are you bad at all of them?" Jaehwan teased.

Hakyeon hummed into the plush as he was in thought of which game he wasn't bad at. "Ah! Ring toss is a good one!" he pipped up. "Nobody is good at ring toss so it will make me feel better when even you lose."

Jaehwan laughed at Hakyeon and stole a bit of the cotton candy in his hand, his side was nudged and more laughter spilled out as Hakyeon whinned for the cotton candy. "I can't help it, it's good!" Ken bit back another laugh.

"Buy your own then!" Hakyeon huffed and reached for the cotton candy. Hakyeon held it from his reach and he scoffed. "Bully."

"When it comes to food, yeah." Hakyeon snickered and then handed Hakyeon back his cotton candy. "I swear that's the only bite I took, besides you owe me for the alien."

"You suggested the alien first, I owe you nothing." Hakyeon took a laughable angry bite of his cotton candy.

"Ah, yes you're right." Jaehwan looked at Hakyeon. "So is it okay if I.... Take a piece?"

Hakyeon looked at Jaehwan out the corner or his eyes. Seeing the pleading shine in those brown orbs and Hakyeon gave in. With a mumble he handed Jaehwan the remaining cotton candy again.

"Thanks Hakyeon."

"Yeah... But by the end of the night I want another...." He puffed his cheeks.

"Hmm... Then I'll remind you." Jaehwan stuck the faint pink and blue sugar tickling his tongue at Hakyeon before biting it back into a smile.

Hakyeon tsked and squeezed the plush alien as they walked up to the ring toss booth. This time he scanned the prizes before Jaehwan and turned to his new found friend. "Choose your prize and I'll win it for you!" Jaehwan's eyes lit up with surprise.

"You think you can win something for me?"

"Yes I do!" Hakyeon pumped a fist of determination. "Now you Jaehwan! Choose your prize!"

Jaehwan put his finger to his lips and hummed in thought, he had a few minutes before they were next in line. His eyes scanned all the prizes and he spotted the perfect one for him. It was a big teddy bear that had a purple bow tie and and top hat on. He looked back at Hakyeon and pointed.

"Alright! I need ten ringers to get that." Hakyeon swallowed down all his fear and stepped up when the couple before him stepped away a tiny stuffed superhero in their clutch. Hakyeon paid the woman behind the booth the amount to play ten tosses. He was handed the faded plasric red rings and got ready to line up the toss.

"Good luck Hakyeon." Jaehwan chimmed as he held the alien plush.

Hakyeon had played a total of twenty rounds that time and each toss the rings hadnt even stuck. He was a failure at carnival games. "!" He tossed his hands and the glow sticks clattered on his wrist. He stopped and looked at Ken with a frown. "I'm sorry..." He mumbled.

"Its okay, I appreciate the try. You can win me over with a burger."

"Now that is my kinda game!" Hakyeon laughed. He was happy when Jaehwan laughed along with him.

Together they walked to the kart that was still serving burgers and hot dogs. Hakyeon paid for Ken's burger and bought a soft pretzel for himself. They both looked at one another realizing that only Jaehwan had enough to purchase only one milkshake and together they decided on strawberry.

"Ah.... I'm... I'm sorry we have to share the milkshake..." Hakyeon fell flustered.

"I don't mind. There's two straws." Jaehwan smiled and stole a sip. "Should we sit by the ferris wheel?"

"Yes! I love the ferris wheel!" Hakyeon laughed. "Obviously..." He felt shy.

Jaehwan held his smile and nodded. "But I'm not judging."

"Thanks...."

Hakyeon and Jaehwan walked back down to the end of the pier right where some table seats were located. They had to dodge the people of course but once they made it to the end they were sitting at an umbrella table right near the line to the ferris wheel. "I'm happy we did this. I enjoy getting to know you." Jaehwan spoke first before taking a bite of his burger.

"Me too. Though I gotta ask, why me?"

"I saw you were alone. Rather than the both of us having a bad night I figured I'd ask if you want some company." Jaehwan shrugged as if that wasnt clear enough from the beginning.

"Well regardless I appreciate the kind offer. Maybe after the fair ends we can hang out. Are you close by?"

"Actually I'm not from around here. I'm more towards the suburbs. I'm just visiting my parents until the end of summer."

"Summer ends in a few days though..." Hakyeon frowned.

"Then we make the most of it tonight!" Jaehwan smiled and took a sip of the milkshake.

Hakyeon's face painted a weak smile on his face and nodded. "Yeah..." they'd only just met but Hakyeon feels like Jaehwan's an old time friend. "Maybe in the future we could meet up again?"

"Here, I'll give you my number." Jaehwan brought his hand across the table. "Let me see your phone."

Hakyeon slid his phone across to Jaehwan and watched as the boy typed in his contact. Soon Hakyeon's phone was back and the contact name made him smile wider. "The one that beat you at milk bottle game." Hakyeon scoffed. "Really?"

Jaehwan shrugged with a smug look upon his face. "You can keep the alien in my memory." he bowed jokingly.

"I'm not sure where you'd got the idea from that I was giving it back." Hakyeon teased. He picked up the strawberry milkshake and took a few sips, the contents already reaching the center of the cup and the whip cream melting away. Hakyeon tapped his phone screen while it sat on the table, shockingly they've been sitting there for nearly an hour as it was reaching just a little after ten. "Almost time." he spoke more to himself than Jaehwan but the younger raised his eyebrows while finishing the remainder of his burger. "The ferris wheel and fireworks." Hakyeon smiled.

"Ohhhh, right. That starts at what?"

"Thirty to midnight, when the sky is clear and the fair ends." Hakyeon frowned just then realizing that the time for him and Jaehwan to split would be soon.

"Are you alright?" Jaehwan asked waving a hand infront of Hakyeon's face. "You seem sad?"

"I'm fine... I just don't want the fair to end... winters long and spring is too muddy." Hakyeon shrugged. "I guess I'm getting at my impatience and worry because I'll have to wait several months until this comes back around again."

Jaehwan pursed his lips in thought but gave a nod in understanding. "So what do you want to do then?"

Hakyeon shrugged again. "I'm not really sure..."

Jaehwan looked around for anything to do when a wave of freshness washed over him and a lightbulb went off. He turned to Hakyeon again and slapped the table scaring the other by accident. "The beach! we could walk the beach!"

Hakyeon's breath hitched and his mouth hung open, Jaehwan's smile lit up the pier more than the rides did. But Hakyeon closed his mouth and formed a smile. "I'd like that." he stood up, Jaehwan behind him.

Wasting the remainder of their time waiting for the fireworks to begin they'd walked to the stairs that lead down to the bike path and then to the sand. It wasn't as warm as before when the sun had been up high, but it wasn't cold either. Being below meant that the ocean waves and wind were going to rush out to them and wash over them. Hakyeon knew the water was going to be cold, he'd lived near here his whole life and there was nothing that was going to get him to touch that water, not even if it were just the tip of his big toe. The two were close to the water, walking just along the edge of the dark wet sand. Jaehwan was in the middle of Hakyeon and the waters edge where as Hakyeon was more inland as they walked. It was peaceful, the moon in the sky, waves crashing and the sound of the carnival above all bound together in one beautiful yet jagged song.

Hakyeon looked at Jaehwan as the other had walked closer to the ocean and onto the dark sand. "You're going to freeze." Hakyeon pointed.

"That's fine, I never get to see the ocean. So if I can touch it one time I will."

"You're so weird!" Hakyeon called as he backed away from a quick rushing wave that came up and almost engulfed his toes. He looked at Jaehwan who was now spinning in circles with his arms stretched to the sky. The water had already swallowed his ankles and feet making Hakyeon cry at the thought of cold. He watched as Ken stopped twirling.

"C'mon Hakyeon it's not bad!"

Hakyeon laughed. "Now you really are crazy! that waters not warm. Catch me at sunrise and I'll go in."

"But we part ways at sunrise!" Jaehwan whinned. "Please?" 

Hakyeon swallowed his heart. Though it were true that he wouldn't see Jaehwan after today he'd still fight the urge to give in and go to that freezing water. So when he told Jaehwan no he didn't expect to be running for his life when the other ended up with this look of determination in his eyes. "Jaehwan oh my god I'm not touching that freezing water!" Hakyeon yelped as he did his best to dodge the oncoming waves and Jaehwan's force of nature.

"Come here Hakyeon!" Jaehwan bellowed with laughter as he closed in on Hakyeon.

Hakyeon tried his best to dodge Jaehwan's arms even with a tiny yelp, but there was no use. A pair of arms wrapped themselves around his waist and although Hakyeon fought with all his might Jaehwan somehow had the right strength and hold on him to prevent escape. Hakyeon found his doom as he was being waddled closer to the water. "J...Jaehwan please..." he begged but it was no use. Hakyeon had squirmed and squirmed and managed to loosen but not free his hold. ".. ... AH!" he cried as he was placed into the water all the way up to his knees, the ocean laughing at him as he'd ran away with a whimper. "Cold holy !" Hakeyon turned back to see Jaehwan laughing. "That's not funny Jaehwan!" he pouted.

"Sure it is!" Jaehwan smiled more. "You're going to be fine Hakyeon. I said please didn't I?"

"I see what kinda person you are." Hakyeon finally managed to feel the warmth come back to his legs again and turned to Jaehwan fully.

"A fun and kind hearted guy?" Jaehwan answered.

"A mean and un funny guy." Hakyeon countered.

"Oh c'mon that's just cold." Jaehwan smirked walking up to Hakyeon.

"Don't even think about putting me back in that water!" Hakyeon warned as he took a defensive stance.

"I'm not I promise." Jaehwan waved his hand as if the events moments ago was old news. "The water was cold for me too." he spoke soft and sat down on the sand by Hakyeon.

"Well, you said yourself you don't ever see the ocean." Hakyeon sat down next to Jaehwan.

"I think when I'm ready to move, I'll come out here. I've been enjoying this area a lot. It's beautiful."

Hakyeon smiled as he traced a lazy figure eight in the sand. "It is. Maybe one day you will?.... atleast... I hope you will." he took his chance to blink a soft glance at Jaehwan knowing that the others eyes were already on his own. He started to get flushed when he was right. "I um... I don't have many friends out here, so I usually latch myself on to anyone that shows interest or kindness to me." he smiled in embarrasement.

"It's okay. I understand." Jaehwan leaned back to he rested on his palms which dug into the sand. "Though, you're so kind and handsome I wouldn't see why anyone would avoid you."

Hakyeon's face grew warmer and his heart raced a couple beats more. He let out a nervous laugh. "I can be a diva somedays." he spoke in honesty. "Hongbin goes along with it and Leo, well... he usually puts me in my place." Hakyeon scrunched himself up more by brigning his legs to his chest sitting criss-srossed now. "I try not to act that way, but I can't help it. I'm a dancer! and I love fashion."

"You're a dancer?" a smug look upon Jaehwan's face as he asked.

"Yeah. It's in my blood, I can't live without it really." Hakyeon shrugged. "It's just a hobby to some but you can find me in a dance studio for hours." he laughed.

"That's amazing! Maybe you can teach me some day?"

"Yeah... maybe." Hakyeon paused for a moment and then playfully nudged Jaehwan's leg. "Only if you promise to keep up."

Jaehwan laughed. "Yeah.. I promise. But I want you to be the one to correct my mistakes."

"That sounds like a plan to me!" Hakyeon clapped excitedly. The waves grew stronger since the position of the moon changed. They'd come up just inches closer to Hakyeon's toes even if he'd pull away each time, his phone was in his hand as he checked the time. Jaehwan's toes danced in the sand and sunk beneath the foam as one hour remained before fireworks. "Jaehwan... um..." Hakeyon cleared his throat as the other looked at him, head tilted slightly. "I was wondering... would you.... would you like to watch the fireworks from the ferris wheel with me?" it was a bold move but there was nobody else Hakyeon could ask last minute or wanted too for that matter. It was a short night and Jaehwan was due home in two days, Hakyeon wasn't sure when he'd actually see him or if he'd see him again after this and for this being Jaehwan's last night Hakeyon thought he'd deserve something memorable. Even if it was with a complete stranger. Hakyeon bit his lip already nervous and unsure of how long silence sat between them. He hadn't realized Jaehwan had actually started laughing at him until he asked. "What?"

"You were zoned out the first time I said yes so I wasn't sure if you were on earth anymore." Jaehwan jabbed.

"You said yes?" why was Hakyeon questioning that.

"Yes Hakyeon, I'd love to watch the fireworks with you."

And something in Hakyeon's world crashed like the waves to the shore. He felt warm, comforted and relaxed knowing that Jaehwan, a once complete stranger was now a friend. It would be hard to see the other leave when the fair came to an end but knowing that just this tiny few moments in a vast world of time they met and made the best of it. Some say people come and go into your life for a reason, was it wrong Hakyeon wanted Jaehwan to stay forever?

Hakyeon held his cotton candy and stood in line as twenty minutes hit the clock. He and Jaehwan were lost in conversation and time whizzed past both of them, Hakyeon had nearly screamed when he'd saw the time was near for the fireworks and dragged poor Jaehwan to the dock. Lucky for them the line wasn't long, many have done this and did it until the moment was old, but for Hakyeon the fireworks were always new, always different. He rocked back and forth on his feet eager to get on the ride, he went as far as paying the remaining money he had on over twenty rotations at best for the ride making sure to plead for the top. Though Hakyeon never pleaded with the ride tender because after he'd been in ride and his name had been passed down to every tendant as the boy who had been coming here since he was a kid for this moment, he'd have his way. But this time was extra special and the ride tender had an idea as to why.

The bars clicked into place and Hakyeon smiled happily as if he were still a boy in this very moment. The worker had made sure they were strapped into place and secure before he stepped back and pulled the lever to click them upwards so the next car could fill up. Hakyeon's eyes were damn near crystalized as the moonlight bouncing off the ocean, this was it, this was the moment. He turned to Jaehwan who seemed so content right now as they clicked upwards once more. "Ready to make some memories?" he sang as Jaehwan turned his head and gave a nod. "I love this ride so much!" Hakyeon clapped in joy once more, he hadn't really known how many times he'd done that by now but he was sure it was a lot. It took only teo more clicks upwards before they were looking down on everyone below, the spot where Hakeyon and Jaehwan were just sitting down below dock on the sand showing, footsteps running to the stairs. It was beautiful.

"That's all? last call for the ferris wheel!" the worker shouted from below. When nobody came running to the line he turned and closed the metal gate piece.

"This is it!" Hakeyon chirped gripping the bar tight with excitment. The sound of gears began to grind and lock into place before the wheel started turning, the melody followed in it's place and melted into the machine of wonders that it is. Up, over, down and back around. Sometimes forwards others backwards, the wait began for the fireworks now but the breeze and light drops melted Hakyeon's stomach like butter. He was looking all around at the scenery enjoying every moment, his nerves getting the best of him with excitment until he jumped at the tickle to his right hand. Looking down he saw Jaehwan's fingers light against his skin something that Hakyeon had possibly thought was an accident. Though when he lookd at Jaehwan to see the other had sort of froze up, Hakyeon frowned and swallowed the thought of the other boy regretting getting on the ride. Little did Hakyeon know it wasnt because of him but because of Jaehwan's fear of heights. "You okay?" Hakyeon asked a bit harsher than he should've been.

"I'm just.... I'm kinda, sort of... afraid of heights...." Jaehwan winced finding his fear to be a little embarrasing.

Hakyeon's heart sank at the guilt he felt for being harsh but he still managed a soft smile when he took hold of Jaehwan's hand for real now and squeezed it. The other looked at him with a shocked expression. "Everything's going to be okay." and the first firework launched taking both of their attentions and by the way Jaehwan's hand softened in Hakyeon's, Hakyeon knew that he was going to be okay.

All sorts of colors rained down from different shapes in the air and lit up the eyes of Hakyeon as he squeezed Jaehwan's hand in his own two as they came back down and around the other side of the ferris wheel. It began to slow down now and this was Hakyeon's moment, the fireworks would last so long now and many others that sat in other carts had wanted the same thing. To stop and view them. Hakeyon was always amused by the simplist things like fireworks for example... just how did they form these beautiful shapes in the sky? who designed their colors to match and why? why was the ferris wheel so romantic? and then it hit him... as the fireworks launched in the air and thousands of colorful flames fell slow lighting up more than the dark sky and Hakyeon's eyes. It was there that he'd felt nothing like he had before, he turned to Ken and spoke those words, a faint whisper to the man he'd just met hours ago. "Kiss me on top of the ferris wheel." 

Hakyeon had no idea why it was there, why he'd thought and said those words as Jaehwan looked at him with wide eyes and unexpectancy. Hakyeon felt like an idiot but he could stop smiling as the colors and booms of the fireworks were fading in his left side. He was focused only on Jaehwan not sure if the other man was into men or not. Hakyeon hadn't care though, he'd never see Jaehwan again after this and he figured the good old 'go big or go home.' expression was worth a shot. He watched with an increasing heart beat as Jaehwan looked from his eyes to his lips and his own. Hakyeon followed in suit before they grew closer and he tilted his head with a small laugh. "I won't tell anyone." he whispered before their lips met in full as the grand finale made its way with a thunderous light show. Hakyeon's heart soared with the final firework. Cotton candy and soda the sugary sweet combo that made Jaehwan's taste a new memory. When they pulled away and the ferris wheel began taking them back down Hakyeon could only let out another breathy laugh as he heard Jaehwan speak next to him.

"Wow.... that was.... that was amazing." Jaehwan smiled as he took hold of Hakeyon's hand to get off the ride.

Hakyeon smiled victorious as his ego was filled from Jaehwan's compliment. They walked swinging their hands clutched together as the carnival was coming to an end. This would be the last he would see of Jaehwan and september would sink in. The fair wouldn't open up again until next summer leaving Hakyeon to tighten his grasp on Jaehwan's hand. "I'm sorry..." he mumbled with rosy cheeks as Jaehwan was obvious to the squeeze.

"It's okay I understand." Jaehwan smiled as they stopped just outside the entry way. He then turned to Hakyeon in full and grabbed his other free hand with his own. "I had a lot of fun actually.... the ending was a bit unexpected but-"

"I... I know I was just caught up in the moment and-!"

"But it was worth it. Honest." Jaehwan whispered as he shut Hakyeon up. Jaehwan coulda swore the twinkle in Hakyeon's eyes was tears building up which he couldn't help but play off concern with a smile. Somhow the swinging of their arms and hands laced together was a dead give away.

Hakyeon's warm smile began to fade slow as he'd released Jaehwan's hands. There was a chill to them just then like autumn had come early. He turned his head and looked at the carnival one last time as people finished up what they were doing or workers were closing up, his heart burned and he'd swallowed his weakness whole to look at Jaehwan again. "I guess this is goodbye?"

Now it was Jaehwan's turn to frown as he gave a silent nod. "I wish it wasn't..."

"Ah, it's okay. Maybe we will meet again." Hakyeon gave his best smile though he still felt hurt within.

"Yeah, that sounds awesome! I had a lot of fun tonight. Thank you for making this one of the most memorable expirences."

Hakyeon scoffed playfully with an eye roll. "There's no need to thank me. You approached me remember? without you I would've left long ago."

Jaehwan hummed. "I guess we both made one anothers night then?"

"Yeah... and it was all worth it." Hakyeon's breath hitched suddenly when Jaehwan planted a soft and simple kiss upon his forehead, holding it a good twenty seconds before pulling away. Now he really wanted to cry, but he swallowed that again as his eyes met Jaehwan's and his heart soared into sadness. 

"Goodbye Hakyeon." Jaehwan softened his smile more and waved.

"Just...just don't forget to text me, okay?" Hakeyon felt stupid saying that instead of goodbye but he really didn't want to let go of Jaehwan so easily.

"Everyday." Jaehwan replied warmly and his heels tossing one more wave over his shoulder.

"Everyday...." Hakyeon breathed as he watched the young man walk away. Hakyeon then turned and made his own journey home. The next few months were going to be cold but Hakyeon's warm heart and Jaehwan's promise gave him the confidence he needed to survive the winter. His phone buzzed in his pocket and he took it out, stopping to finally shead a tear as he read.

"Till next summer."

The whole way home Hakyeon clutched his phone tightly in his pocket. He would see Jaehwan again.