1. First Encounter

You Should Be Here

Chapter 1 : First Encounter

 

N I C O L E

 

Wednesday 24th of February 2016 was the day I count as our anniversary because although at the time I did not know it but he was the man I would fall in love with.

 

Just like the previous three weeks I had been spending my break and lunch time in the dance studio that was located in the school’s basement. I was new. My brother and I both had to switch from

homeschooling to public school and aware of my awkward tendencies and quiet nature I distanced myself from the students. Regardless of growing up in Korea for sixteen years and fully adapting to the culture. I was still a foreigner.

 

So there I was just practicing nothing in particular in the mirror when someone came darting into the dance studio and making sure to lock the door behind them.

 

“.” He mumbled to himself as he turned around from the door. I stood paralysed. The heavy R&B was booming in the studio, I was breathing heavily as my body attempted to get oxygen around my system and on top of it all I was in a mere sports bra and leggings.

 

“Oh, um...hi. Sorry to disturb you, I didn’t realise someone was in here.” He explained. I stared at him shamelessly and I gathered that he was an extreme beauty. He was anticipating something, probably expecting me to say something but I didn’t. Like the shy person I am I just stood.

 

“I should get going.” He stated after we dwelled in awkward silence. He unlocked the door and by the looks of it took a peek outside. “I think the coast is clear.” He mumbled to himself but I was able to catch that. “Bye.” He gave a small wave before slipping out of the room.

 

Although our conversation—more like his dialogue lasted less than a minute and he was not saying anything meaningful. I wanted to hear him speak more. Just hearing his voice out me at ease. It was deep but it held some type of warmth behind it. It was beautiful. I wonder if he could sing? Questions similar to those began running through my head and I was unable to answer them. I hoped to find out the answers to my questions eventually.

 

J A E H Y U N

 

If I had known what this encounter would of lead to...I would’ve chosen a different room.

 

I approached the normal table that I sat on a daily basis with my usual group of friends. Amongst them I was the quietest but it was only because I enjoy observing and I never really have anything to say unless they are asking me questions.

 

“Hey Jaehyun.” Jungkook greeted me causing the rest of the table to look over. I simply nod my head before taking a seat besides Yugyeom.

 

“We have good news.” Mingyu announces with a smile. (Code word for bad news).

 

“You know Kim Miyoung, the one you have been crushing on for the beginning of school. She seems to like you too.” Jungkook beams.

 

Okay. So, do not get me wrong Miyoung is beautiful but when I had a conversation with her before; I realised that she had the intellectual ability of a baby and my so called ‘crush’ had dwindled down since then.

 

“I’m not interested in Miyoung anymore.” I state rather clearly only to recieve doubtful looks and multiple eyebrow raises.

 

“Sure. Well we managed to convince her to join us for lunch today. She should be here— oh there she is!” Seokmin began waving her over and before I knew it my legs had managed to carry me into the basement of the school.

 

“.” I mumbled turning around from the door.

 

I had completely disregarded where I had brought myself until I turned around and saw her. Now, I wouldn’t say I know every single person in the school but I am aware of those in my school year and I’m pretty sure she is in my school year. I decided on opening my mouth to reduce this weird staring battle we were currently undergoing.

 

“Oh, um...hi. Sorry to disturb you, I didn’t realise someone was in here.” I uttered out after noticing the loud music along with her attire. She didn’t make an effort to answer me so I took it upon myself to leave. “I should get going.” Without giving her a glance I check outside as if I was running from something. I kind of was but it’s not like Miyoung would be standing behind the door. Anyway. “I think the coast is clear.” I whispered to myself not too sure if she heard me because of the music surrounding us. Without being rude I gave a small wave and a quick ‘bye’, before slipping out of the studio.

 

As I made my way upstairs and joined the rest of my fellow pupils, without hesitation I walked straight into the canteen which I left in a hurry moments ago. I noticed that Miyoung was no longer at the table - thankfully.

 

“Where the hell did you go?” Yugyeom inquired as I took a seat with a sigh.

 

“I forgot my phone in class. Where’s Miyoung?” I attempted to change the topic about my whereabouts for some unknown reason.

 

“She left because you disappeared. We were trying to get you laid but nooo.” BamBam interjected.

 

“I don’t need you guys’ help with getting laid especially not with Miyoung. Let’s just stop talking about her.” I huffed out annoyed.

 

“Who is she?” Jungkook’s tone showed obvious interest.

 

“Oh Nicole? She’s in my English and Math class. She’s nice.” Seokmin shrugs.

 

“Why have I never seen her before?” Jungkook questions as I look towards the girl.

 

“She started a few weeks ago and she’s not really friends with anyone. She keeps to herself.” Yugyeom explains. “I often see her using the dance studio when I got there.”

 

Of course! It had to be the girl he interrupted just a few minutes ago. Instead of her thick curly hair in a bun, it was down and reached the middle of her back. The school uniform looked like it was made for her. She had beautiful caramel skin which look–

 

“I heard she’s adopted.” Seokmin mentions casually.

 

“Adopted?” I repeat in disbelief.

 

“She doesn’t exactly look Korean Jaehyun, I don’t exactly think she’s Asian either.” BamBam points out.

 

“Yeah...that’s why her korean is so good.” Yugyeom explains.

 

“You’ve spoken to her?” For some reason I was curious as to how she sounded when she spoke korean or even English.

 

“Yeah whenever I come to the studio we have a small conversation. She’s really nice and so different to the rest of the girls.” Yugyeom explains.

 

The bell signalling the end of lunch rang throughout the school premises. I threw my backpack on and made my way to my designated classroom.

 

Nicole eh?