Are we okay?

We're okay, until we're not

A/N: I was unsure about converting this fic but I think it could still work anyway, and so we have the seulrene fic to this here.

 

Joohyun has been pacing back and forth for the better part of two hours. She is a bundle of nervous energy, as she constantly checks her phone, for any text or message from Seulgi. She is so worried about her girlfriend right now. Seulgi left so hurt and angry with her. The monolid girl was without a doubt the most hurt Joohyun had ever seen her, and worst of all her girlfriend was hurt because of her. The older girl didn’t intentionally set out to hurt Seulgi’s feelings. Now there was a storm, and god forbid her monolid love is hurt somewhere because they fought.

 

 

“Unnie.” It’s Yeri coming over with some tea. “You need to try and be calm, okay. I’m sure that Seulgi-unnie is alright.”

 

Joohyun reluctantly takes the tea from her. She doesn’t want any tea. She wants Seulgi, and to see that she’s okay and not hurt.

 

“Thank you, Yeri-ah. I’m just really worried.”

 

“We are too, unnie.” Joy says coming into the living room. She couldn’t have ever imagined the older couple in such an argument. Joy wouldn’t have believed it even if someone told her it could be a possibility. Joohyun and Seulgi were the epitome of a solid couple. Joy hopes they’ll be okay, once they talk things out.

 

“We’ve never heard you two fight that badly before.” Seungwan says, as she remembers hearing the couple in their discussion. “We really hope that you and Seul will be okay.”

 

"You and me both.” Joohyun thinks silently while sipping the tea

 

 

Joohyun remembers what took place hours ago. She had been waiting for Seulgi to get home so they could talk. The brunette had solo schedules today, but she still should have been back by now. Each time Joohyun texted her. She didn’t get a response, and that only makes her worry more. Soon enough Seulgi is walking through the door all smiles.

 

“Hi, Hyun.” She immediately goes over to kiss her lips.

 

“Hi, Seul.” The older girl smiles softly and kisses her back. “Baby, can we talk.” The raven gives her hand a squeeze, guiding her over to the couch. Seulgi can already tell that this will be serious.

 

“Sure, what’s going on, Hyun?”

 

The shorter of the two doesn’t want to say this. But feels that she has to. As much as she loves Seulgi, and she truly does. They might need to take a step back, a break. Not a breakup, but a break. They’re  in the spotlight and under so much stress constantly. That sometimes things are overwhelming. How they ended up together had been a long time coming, and yes it was wonderful, great, passionate, but still very new territory for them.

 

"Seul. You know how I feel about you, right? That won’t ever change no matter what.”

 

To the monolid girl this sounds very much like a breakup. Granted this is her first, real serious relationship. But she has seen plenty of dramas to know where this is heading.

 

“Are you breaking up with me?” Seulgi asks in a whisper.

 

“No. Seul, no baby. I’m not, it’s just… I think we need a break. We room together, and sometimes we do get on each other’s nerves.  We have arguments but there is no space. We’re in this stressful life with everything going on. Some time apart could be good for us.”

 

It doesn’t sound good, not to Seulgi. She takes her hand away from Joohyun’s. That simple, small action does hurt the raven.

 

“Is this a break or because you want to date someone else?”

 

 

Joohyun is stunned. A part of her can’t believe Seulgi would seriously think she wants to be with anyone. When it’s her loveable bear that has her heart.. She is the one she loves, and has always loved. Truth be told if anyone should be jealous or worried about them breaking up because of someone coming between them, it should be her. Seulgi has many fangirls and boys and is always being shipped with someone. Of course none of that isn’t Seulgi’s fault, but it can get bothersome.

 

“Seul, baby. That’s not fair. You know I don’t have feelings for anyone else.”

 

“Then why do you need a break so suddenly. If it’s someone else?”

 

Joohyun masks her hurt for long enough to to try to take Seulgi’s hand again. But the brunette will not allow it.

 

“I just think we need some space from one another.Not because I want to date anyone else. Seul, we’re still navigating between best friends and roommates and girlfriends. I don’t want us to ever end up possibly hating one another at some point.”

 

Seulgi feels like crying, but she won’t not here. “Fine. You want your space, Joohyun, you got it.” She stands up and leaves to head out again.

 

“Seul, don’t leave, not angry like this. You know I love you.”

 

“No. I don’t know that. Just enjoy your space.”

 

“Wait. I do love you. That’s not the issue.” She speaks sadly trying to prevent her from leaving.

 

"Move.” Seulgi tells her.

 

“No, not when you’re hurting. I didn’t mean to hurt you."

 

“Please move out of my way." Seulgi’s voice cracks. Joohyun knows she is about to start crying and that really hurts her. Because Seulgi is about to start crying from what she said, and her girlfriend has always been someone she wanted to protect and take care. This is the absolute last thing Joohyun wanted.

 

“Baby?”

 

"No, don’t call me baby. Don’t call me anything. You can have your space or whoever it is you want.”

 

“That’s not fair! You’re the one with all those pairings, and girls fawning over you left and right.” The older girl snaps when she doesn’t mean to.

 

“I’m not fighting with you about this anymore. Just move.” Joohyun doesn’t move, so Seulgi moves her out of the way, and slams the door behind her.

 

“Seulgi I….” She ends up falling to the ground in tears. That’s how the rest of the members found her, sitting with her back against the front door in tears. They each took turns comforting her, and telling her that everything would be okay. Seulgi was probably going to take and walk and come right back.

 

 

That was hours ago, and now there was a bad storm outside. “She’s out there because of me.”

 

“No, unnie don’t say that.”

 

“I hurt her. I never meant to.”

 

“Neither of you are at fault, unnie. You were only being honest about wanting a break. But, you have to remember that this is, Seul’s first relationship. She would be hurt by this.” Seungwan tells her honestly.

 

Joohyun doesn’t need to be reminded that this is Seulgi’s first real relationship. She has known the girl for a long time. Joohyun knows how important this time is for not just Seulgi, but for her as well. Joohyun meant it when she said she wasn’t interested in anyone else. As if she could really want to be with someone else.

 

“I know. But it’s not that I don’t love her. I do love her very much.”

 

“We know that you do, unnie. She loves you too. Maybe she just needs some time to cool down.” Joy tells her.

 

All Joohyun could think about was if Seulgi was possibly out in that storm, hurt, and she couldn’t deal with her girlfriend, yes girlfriend. Because they aren’t broken up in her mind. She calls her again for what felt like the 50th time. Only to be transferred straight to voicemail.

 

“Seul, baby please don’t ignore me right now. I just want to know that you’re not hurt out there in the storm. Please, if you don’t want to speak to me. Call Joy, Yeri, or Seungwan. Let someone know that you’re alright.” The older girl leaves her another voice message.

 

“Unnie. Hey let’s make some popcorn, and watch some movies to get your mind off the fight, and Seulgi-unnie for a while.” Yeri suggests.

 

She appreciates they want to help her. Even though nothing can stop her from thinking about her bear. She agrees not to make them feel bad. “Seulgi, sweetie. I am so sorry. Come home so we can work everything out.”

 

 

When Seulgi had called Jessica in tears. The elder was alarmed and came to pick her up from the small cafe she had walked off to. That was hours ago before the storm.  Now she sits with Jessica at her house. She is no longer crying but definitely not okay. The older woman is soon handing her over a cup of tea.

 

“Here drink this, Seulgi-yah.”

 

“Thank you, unnie.”

 

Jessica nods and touches her shoulder gently. “I was really worried about you when you called me in tears. What happened?”

 

“I think Joohyun wants to break up or something. I don’t know.”

 

Jessica knows how much the younger couple truly love one another. She could spot the signs right away that there was a special connection. It was a bond besides friendship between them. It was a very familiar territory that she herself had been through in her days with SNSD.

 

“Seulgi-yah, are you sure? You two really love one another.”

 

“I thought so too, unnie.’ Seulgi explains to her fully everything that happened. How the fight happened and why the two of them ended up in said fight.

 

“Gomdori. She didn’t say she wanted to break up with you. Joohyun said that she wanted some space. It’s not easy dating your fellow member. It’s hard in this life especially.”

 

Seulgi nods. She knows it was never easy for Jessica and Tiffany, especially when they had to “breakup”. When Jessica was forced to leave their group.

 

“You and Fany-unnie, are okay now though.”

 

“We are. But we hurt each other a lot. I didn’t think we would recover, and we did with a lot of hard work. Joohyun just doesn’t want you both to be hurt at all. Sometimes that can’t be avoided, but you know she loves you right? She dotes on you Seulgi-yah, and I know you love her just as much.”

 

“I do unnie. I love her very much.”

 

“Then that’s what matters okay. Talk to her in the morning after you’ve gotten some rest, alright.”

 

“Thank you for letting me stay here, unnie.”

 

“Anytime, Gomdori-ah.”

 

 

Seungwan tells everyone that Seulgi is fine and with Jessica. Joohyun breathes a sigh of relief that Seulgi is okay.

 

“Oh, good. Did you speak with Seulgi at all?”

 

“No, I just spoke to Jessica-unnie. I’m sorry, Joohyun-unnie.”

 

“She won’t want to talk to me right now anyway. I’m just glad that she’s okay.”

 

 

Joohyun excuses herself from her friends and goes to bed. She has a terrible time sleeping because Seulgi’s warm presence is not with her. There is no cuddly bear to hold or be held by, and she falls asleep in tears at thoughts that not only is she going to lose her girlfriend and love. But her best friend too.

 

“Seulgi-yah, I am so sorry.”

 

 

The next morning Jessica drives her home and tells her to talk, listen, and try to work it out. Because she doesn’t want to live a life with regrets. Seulgi is tempted to not go back for awhile. But she isn’t someone that runs away forever. She can face her girlfriend, ex girlfriend she doesn’t know what to call her right now.

 

“Unnie. You’re back.” Yeri hugs her first.

 

“Seulgi-unnie. We’re glad that you’re okay.” Joy comes over too for a hug.

 

“Hey, guys.” she smiles softly. Seungwan hugs her next.

 

“You okay, Seulgi-yah?”

 

Joohyun knows her well. She knows that she isn’t okay at all. “I’m fine, Wannie, thank you.”

 

“Joohyun is very worried about you. I’ll take the kids out, so you two can talk alright.”

 

Seulgi nods but doesn’t say anything. Joohyun has been standing close by, watching probably too scared to be rejected. She doesn’t hug her, even though Seulgi knows she wants to. When it’s just the two of them Seulgi says nothing but heads to their shared room to get a few things.

 

“Seulgi wait. We need to talk, okay. I’m so sorry for hurting you last night. I never meant to.”

 

“I know. I get it, Irene.”

 

Something about the way she says Irene, and not Joohyun or Hyunnie is so very impersonal. It feels very wrong.

 

“I don’t want to breakup. You’re still my girlfriend and I love you.”

 

“You just want a break, okay. That’s fine. We’ll take a break.” Seulgi grabs a couple of some of her things and sets up on the couch.

 

“Oh no…” Joohyun thinks. She never wanted Seulgi to feel like she has to go out of their room.

 

“Seul, no you don’t need to sleep out on the couch.”

 

“It’s fine. You need some space and I respect that.”

 

 

The raven holds back her tears as she comes over to her. “I didn’t want anything to turn out like this. Seul, please tell me we’re okay. Tell me that we’re still okay.”

 

“I can’t say that, Hyun. Listen, I love you a lot. That won’t change but you want a break while I don’t. It’ll be too hard sleeping near you and not getting to hold or kiss you. I can’t be in our room right now.”

 

The older girl does understand. It’s going to be very hard not to reach over and hug her, cuddle, or kiss.

 

“I get it. But I don’t want you in pain. I also don’t want you thinking that I don’t love you so much. Because I do baby. I really love you.”

 

It hurts to hear this when it didn’t before. “I love you too okay.” Seulgi doesn’t want to talk anymore. Joohyun knows not to push, so she gets up.

 

“Seulgi. I want a break but you’re still my girlfriend. I’m not going to see anyone else or even want to, okay. You’re it for me Kang Seulgi.” Joohyun smiles through her tears and promises.

 

When Seulgi is left alone there are some tears slowly dripping down her cheeks. She’d give Joohyun space if she needs even though it will hurt her to do so.

 

“I don’t want anyone else either, Hyunnie….”

 

 

 

A/N: So a very bittersweet ending. But I think it was okay overall and worked well enough.