by chance

paper objects
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

paper objects

"i'll always swing back to you."

♡ music to listen to

(some time ago)

Sunyoung sat down against the wall, grateful for the darkness of the alleyway. She didn't want them to see her tears. Jinri and Soojung came and sat by her side, taking her hands into theirs. She knew they wanted to say something, but knew that they just didn't know what to say.

She was okay with that. She rarely craved silence, but this was one of those moments. Jinri's phone buzzed, a slight distraction from the almost sleep-like nature of Sunyoung's current state of mind.

"God, I'm gonna kill him," Jinri shut off her phone without bothering to read the text she had received. "Ugh, I just. I can't believe what he did."

"Don't be too hard on him, Jin. He was only doing what he thought was right."

"I know, but that doesn't make what he did right."

The silence slowly creeped over them again, and this time they decided to just bask in it.

Soojung squeezed Sunyoung's hand, and that was when the tears flowed once more.

♡♡♡

A lot of things had happened. Jinri understood that. However, she couldn’t understand why she felt that Soojung was distancing herself from the group. It couldn’t be due to a certain addition of a certain someone… could it?

“Soojung, for real. Please just, like, text everybody and let them know you don’t hate them?”

“Jinri, calm down. You’re being so dramatic,” Soojung replied, not moving her eyes from the paper she was trying to write. “We aren’t twelve year olds. Just because I haven’t been able to make a hangout does not mean that I hate everybody, and it definitely doesn’t mean that I hate everybody, and it definitely doesn’t mean everybody thinks I hate them.” She ended this with a dismissive wave of the hand, her focus still on the paper she was struggling to write.

“Ugh. Soojung, you just don’t get it. We, like. I-I don’t know. We have like a very specific group dynamic and you just need to understand…”, and Jinri launched into a full fledged rant detailing how their “tightly-knit” group required constant love and affection, as well as focused attending to. It was only when Jinri looked up and saw the bewildered expression painted on Soojung’s face, that she stopped. There was an awkward silence before the pair burst into laughter.

“Okay, Jin. I’m sorry, and I do get it. I’ll make it up to you. Hunter’s at 8 tonight? It’ll be my treat.”

“Oh, yes, thank you Jung. I love you, like, so much right now,” Jinri squealed, and kissed a smug Soojung on the cheek, before pausing. A serious look painted her face, as she began to pick at her fingers. “You know, I just feel like we all need this. It hasn’t been that long since, you know. We haven’t been able to just, like, have fun in a while. Plus, you and Jongin are like strangers even though he’s come to like twelve hangouts and has been, like, an official group member for a very long time.”

Oh. This was what this was about. Trying to ignore the mention of that certain name, Soojung put Jinri’s hand in hers, and gently smiled. “I get it Jin. We all need it. And, about that guy. We probably just need time before we become close. He seems… okay.”

Jinri pursed her lips, and Soojung could tell Jinri had a lot to say about Soojung’s strange, amicable relationship with Jongin. But at that moment, she was saved by the bell. Jinri immediately jumped out of her seat and ran out into the hall, but not forgetting to flash Soojung a look that said we’ll talk about this later. Despite that heart felt moment they had just shared, she just really did not want to talk about the group anymore, and especially not about Jongin.

She wasn’t lying when she said that she didn’t hate them. Jinri was her best friend, her sister. The other two in their group… she loved Chanyeol like a brother. A weird, kind-of-freaky-kind-of-innocent brother. She would definitely be lying if she said she didn’t hate Jongin. It wasn’t really anything… honestly she couldn’t even call what she thought of Jongin as “hate.” It was uncalled for, and kind of complicated. In fact, she would probably be the bad guy in the situation if she were to ever truly tell anyone how she felt. It’s just, Jongin had such a bad reputation. Considering the complications that were going on in her life when he came around, it was natural that they didn’t become close like Jinri and Chanyeol did with him. She wasn’t really there the first couple of times they got to know him, and when she was, it was hard for her to put aside all the rumors she had  heard of him. Soojung wouldn’t really say she was a super judgmental person, but it was just an unfortunate situation for Jongin. She had put up some walls, and it wasn’t like Soojung was someone who easily opened up to people. She usually put up a face around other people, because that was what they expected of her. She was the chic, fashion forward pretty girl: the younger Jung sister. So it was just that, when she looked at Jongin, she couldn’t see past his faults. Especially when you put him next to Chanyeol, who had a genuine kindness to his soul, and a strange, awkward innocence, he just looked ten times more bad.

She figured she had to give the guy a chance, though. Rumors were just rumors, and she actually hated how she couldn’t let herself see past them. She barely knew anything about the guy. Anybody who could become so close to Jinri and Chanyeol had to be a decent person. And honestly, she didn’t really know why she was so weird when it came to him. Like she said before, she wasn’t really a judgmental person.

She was lost in her mind, the paper forgotten about and the teacher’s lecture flying over her head, that it wasn’t until the bell’s gentle ringing began th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter