the boy of stars

a broken reunion

Life was... life. Do Kyungsoo had no other words to explain it.

He had a good job that had reasonable hours and he had a son that he came home to everyday, who never failed to cheer him up. He had a nice home and ate three meals a day while feeding his son three meals a day. He could pay for his son's needs. Monetarily, he had nothing to worry about. Monetarily, he was the definition of economic security and the textbook definition of a working man.

But he didn't have anything else.

Family?

They disowned him.

Friends?

Too busy.

Lover?

Too scared busy

...

Kyungsoo smiled at his son as he watched him run off to his friends. He had to head to work, but he never failed to be in a good mood when he came to the office because he was able to see his growing son running off to get an education.

He couldn't ask for more.

At least, that was what he told himself everyday.

...

"Dad..." Do Jaeha, Kyungsoo's beloved son, said, nervously looking at his father who was in his office, working.

"Hmm? Do you want dinner?" Kyungsoo said, looking at his son.

"Yeah... but I'm also here becasue I have something to ask you,"

"What is it?"

"So... you know how you said I could do any after-school activity I wanted..."

"Yeah... But nothing extreme," Kyungsoo said, taking an interest in what kind of interests had. He only wanted his son to be happy. The boy looked at his dad, worried that he might say no.

"I want to learn ballet..." Jaeha said, looking at Kyungsoo with an apprehensive look on his face.

"Whatever you want, Jaeha. Do you know any studios offering lessons near here?" Kyungsoo said.

"Wait, really?!" Jaeha said, face glowing up.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I let you take ballet?"

"Well... some of the boys in my class said it was weird..."

"It doesn't matter what they think as long as you're happy. Now give your dad a hug," Kyungsoo said, smiling at his son.

Jaeha left his father's office, smiling and excited. For the longest time, he had an inexplicable urge to dance and was happy that he could finally pursue his wish. He loved his father dearly and knew that he was lucky to have someone like Kyungsoo to call dad everyday.

Kyungsoo smiled, knowing that it was the small things that made his son happy. He would give his son what he deserved because his ex-wife failed to do so.

He also ignored a pang in his heart.

He once knew a boy who loved ballet.

Ballet had given the boy strength when he needed it most.

And the boy had shared that strength with a one young and innocent Kyungsoo.

A boy who changed the definition of stars.

But like stars, his light disappeared from Kyungsoo's life.

A  long time ago.

...

A week had passed since Kyungsoo and Jaeha had started researching about nearby ballet classes. Kyungsoo knew that although he could afford ballet classes and the necessary equipment, he would have to cut down on small things. For example, skipping out on his everyday coffe and getting his caffeine only when necessary and packing his son lunch instead of making him buy school lunch. He wasn't rich by any means, so he would have to save a bit to expand his budget to include the tuition of his son's lessons. He didn't mind, though.

...

Eventually, Kyungsoo found a nice ballet studio that offered ballet lessons for kids aged from 8-10. It wasn't too expensive, but it wasn't cheap, but according to reviews, it was well worth the price. Kyungsoo enrolled his son and went online, looking up what his son would need.

...

Kyungsoo stretched his arms up and looked at his watch. 12:30. It was his lunch break. Kyungsoo quickly ate his lunch at the company's cafeteria and checked his watch.

12:50. He had forty minutes. He sped to the elevators and rushed to his car.

In ten minutes, he had made it to a small boutique with stickers of ballerinas and tutus. He stepped inside and looked around before asking the cashier where he could find ballet shoes for a nine year old boy.

By 1:20, he had a small bag with a special pair of shoes for his son. He put the bag in the passenger seat and went back to work.

...

Jaeha came home to the usual empty apartment. He was used to it, though. However, he knew he was lucky that his father spent so much effort to be a good father, making as much time as possible for his son. He opened the refrigerator, seeing a plate of kimbap wrapped in seran wrap with a small sticky note.

"How was school? I know you're probably hungry so I made these for you. -Dad"

Jaeha smiled. His dad never failed to make him smile. Yes, there were the times where he wished he didn't do some stupid things like kicking a soccer ball in the apartment and accidentally shattering a picture frame as his dad glared at him with icy eyes, but he knew his father meant well and wanted to raise his son to be a good man. After all, Kyungsoo would get over it and hug his son before sending him off to school the next day.

...

Kyungsoo opened the front door to his apartment. It was eight and later than he usually got home, so he made sure he would make up for it by packing Jaeha's favorite lunch the next morning. He saw Jaeha playing games on the computer, and when Jaeha got off of the computer to greet his dad, he smiled. Kyungsoo held up the small bag.

"I got you something," Kyungsoo said, smiling. He knew his son would love it. Jaeha eagerly took the bag from his father and looked inside. Inside, there was a shoe box. When Jaeha opened the box, he saw a pair of black ballet shoes wrapped nicely in white tissue paper. His smile expanded even more as he looked from his father to shoes and back at his father. He put the shoe box on the floor and hugged his dad with all his might.

"Thank you so much dad," he said, conveying all the love he had in his system through his hug. Kyungsoo chuckled at his son's enthusiasm and returned the hug.

...

It was Jaeha's first lesson. His father could not fit dropping off Jaeha at the studio in his schedule, but Jaeha didn't mind that he had to go to the lesson by himself. He was already thankful that he even got these lessons.

When Jaeha's instructor came into the studio, he was surprised. His instructor was a man, and Jaeha didn't feel as alone knowing that he wasn't the only male who loved dance.

...

Kyungsoo came home late every day that week due to a large project his team was currently working on. He felt guilty that he couldn't see his son before he went to sleep and promised to himself that he would take his son to his ballet lessons after the project was over.

...

Jaeha walked out of his school's gates when he heard a car honk. He turned his head in the direction of the honk and saw his father's car. Running eagerly up to the car, Jaeha smiled.

"Surprise!" Kyungsoo said, looking through the car window. "Get in! I'm taking you to ballet class today!"

Jaeha smiled and got into the car, enjoying his pleasant surprise. It was moments like these that reminded him that his father tried very hard to make as much time as possible for him.

...

Jaeha and Kyungsoo got out of the car and walked towards the building. Jaeha ran inside the building as Kyungsoo followed, smiling at the excited boy. Paying for his son's expenses was worth it in moments like these. His son reminded him about the happy things in life.

As Jaeha changed in the changing room, Kyungsoo sat on a chair in front next to a window where he could look inside the studio where his son got his lessons. He smiled, glad that he would get to see his son's passion in action. As he waited, he checked his phone and then looked into the studio briefly.

His phone fell.

His world froze.

Inside the studio he saw the boy who loved ballet.

The boy who got strength from ballet when he needed it most.

The boy who once gave a young and innocent Kyungsoo the strength he got from ballet.

The boy who changed the defintion of stars.

The boy whose light disappeared from Do Kyungsoo's life, just like stars.

 

The boy who was named Kim Jongin.

_________________________

A/N: I AM SUPER HYPED FOR THIS SERIES!!! I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY BECAUSE I AM GOING TO HAVE FUN WRITING THIS JKJLAKSDJALSKDJA

Okay, I'll chill.

I literally thought of this by watching a video of Kai doing ballet...  lol

His solo dance at elux'ion dot tho.... the freaking crop top, see through top, and the last outfit. ajkldsjaldj I DIED

Anyways, thank you for reading and please upvote, subscribe and comment!

Love you guys! <3

Side note: If anyone read the manhwa called Lover Boy, yes, Do Jaeha is named after the character because Jaeha is a very beautiful name in my opinion.