The Kangs

Together

 

 

“DADDYYYY!”

 

 

 


Daniel jumped in his seat at the sudden intrusion of the office’s silence. He looked up from his piled up papers and contracts to see Daehwi, his five-year-old baby, stomping his way after banging the door of his office room open in anger. The tiny guy was clearly frustrated by how his nostrils were flaring in anger, fluffy hair bouncing with every step.

 

 

 

“Baby, what did I say about opening the door gently?” Daniel, rather than being upset, was obviously amused that his son was so worked up. He smiled happily as the kid approached his table and asked to be carried like the spoiled brat he is.

 

 


The kid grumbled once he’s safely seated on his father’s lap and threw the papers he had been holding unto Daniel’s table.

 

“Who drew this?!” the kid demanded.

 

 

 

Daniel raised an eyebrow and took careful glances at the pictures that Daehwi had placed on his table. Those were the newest designs for the company’s fashion line, ready to be made and launched, and Daniel had no idea how his son could get his little hands on these latest works.

 

 

“Is there something wrong, pumpkin?” Daniel asked as he cooed at Daehwi who crossed his arm angrily.

 

 

“Ugly clothes. Ugly colors. Ugly everything!” the kid whined and pouted.

 

 

 


Daniel chuckled heartily, internally squealing at his son’s antics. “Daddy doesn’t know anything about fashion, sweetheart. Why don’t you explain it slowly and let me know what’s wrong.”

 

 

 

Daehwi heaved a deep sigh and took one of the papers to show his dad. With his chubby little finger, he pointed at the sketch of the shirt. “This should be blue and white, green is no good.” Then he continued by pointing to the sleeves of the shirt. “Should be shorter, people won’t like long ones during summer. It’s hot.”

 


At first Daniel thought it would be one of the many weird complaints that Daehwi might come up with, but this time the kid was actually right. 

 

 

“Ugly zipper and too many buttons,” Daehwi muttered while pointing to the red skirt. “It’ll be uncomfortable.”

 


He brought up another paper at random, skimmed the sketch for a while, before shoving it to his father’s face. “The shape is weird, how will people wear it? Too many bling bling on the…” he trailed off while pointing to the ripped jeans' pocket. Then he forcefully pointed to the entire outfit. “It doesn’t match!”

 

 

To be honest, Daniel couldn’t care less about the fashion side of the company, never bothered to know what’s going on inside the production and design team because he’s here for the general job of making sure the company stays afloat. He has too many things too worry about including the electronic line, the beauty cosmetics line and so on so he never dwelled too much in one sector.  But now that Daehwi had brought up the matter, it looks like the fashion line is in the slumps.

 


“I didn’t know my little baby can be a fashionista!” Daniel grinned and poked his son’s puffed cheek. “I’ll get someone to fix the sketches and daddy will show you the new pictures soon. Then, you can tell me which ones are good and which are bad, okay?”

 

 

 

Satisfied, Daehwi nodded. “Fine. Daddy should finish work soon so we can go home and eat, then we'll play!”

 


Daniel mocked salute to his son. “Aye aye, captain! We are going to have pizza after this so be a good boy and do the homework that uncle Jisung gave you while daddy do his job.”

 

Daehwi also saluted like a soldier and giggled cutely. “Aye aye, captain!”

 

 

 

The kid hugged his dad tightly and Daniel smothered his son with good amount of kisses before Daehwi wiggled out of his grasp and laughed uncontrollably. 
This was the reason why, when Daniel’s ready to break down and collapse out of exhaustion, he it up and continue the day as if nothing was wrong. Daehwi was the only motivation he has to keep on moving and seeing the little one’s bright smile greeting him after a darn long day at work, every heavy duty was worth it.

 

 

“Let go, daddy!” Daehwi giggled when Daniel was not done with his cuddle fest just yet. 

 

 

 


“Okay, you’re free for now.” He put the boy down from his lap after a full minute as Daehwi dashed to his own little table at the end of the room, prepped with cute animal pencils and complete crayon set. 

 

 


Daniel was thankful that his son is not the  overly clingy and demanding type or he’ll have a hard time managing the company and the child at the same time. He silently observed from his position as Daehwi picked up his pencil and scribbled down numbers and alphabets. Just the thought that Daehwi will enter kindergarten in a week is making Daniel teary-eyed. How is he going to handle Daehwi going to school abroad or getting married in the future if he’s this emotional for sending his son to school?

 

 

 

 

“You sure have your mother’s sense of style,” Daniel mumbled to himself. “She would have been very proud.”

 

 

 


 The man snapped out of his reverie and began his work and started off by grabbing the office telephone and called for his secretary.

“Tell the design team from the fashion line to have new designs by Friday. I’ll be stopping by their department tomorrow morning for a needed prep talk. And push my afternoon schedule tomorrow to night meetings, I’m having lunch with Daehwi.”

 

 

 

Did the little man go on a rampage? He seemed pretty upset after visiting Ms. Jeon in her office.”

 

 


“He hates the designs, you know how picky and brutally honest he is.”

 

The other line chuckled. “He could be our new editor in chief.”

 

 


“I am highly considering that option.” Daniel truthfully answered.

 

 


“He’ll be a great one, I’m sure. Oh, sir, just a reminder that you need to check the reports in your email and review the contracts with FMO, our brand ambassador’s entertainment company.”

 

 


 The man huffed. “Alright, thanks.”

 

 

 

 

He ended the call and leaned back into his leather chair. This means another sleepless night to review contracts and sign report papers until dawn even when his doctor had warned him to get some rest or he'll really get knocked out by fatigue. Daniel clearly did not sign up for this. Who said being a Vice President is easy? To put the cherry on top, who said being a single dad won’t make it any harder? Sometimes, it does get hard. Daniel prays someone would just help him, a fairy perhaps? Or an angel? Even a demon would do. He just needs help.