Fin

Wait For Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I miss my wife's cooking." Dahyun says as they trudge through the murky waters. It was the wee hours of the night and their unit was separated after an ambush from the Northerners. After escaping an intense exchange of gunfire, only three of the Bravo team had survived.

"You said Sana couldn't cook to save her life." Chaeyoung recalls when Dahyun invited her and Mina to a dinner back when they were newly-weds. It was true. The turkey was dry and everything was either too salty or too bland but Dahyun loved her wife too much that she didn't care how monstrous Sana's cooking would taste like.

The group takes a much needed break after walking for miles. They sit down huddled close together for warmth. Although they could easily start a fire, the smoke and light would attract unnecessary attention. They barely made it out alive, they didn't want to be found again.

"How far along is she Cap?" Tzuyu asks. Dahyun then pulls out an ultrasound picture from her front pocket that Sana had sent a few weeks back. On the other side was a very pregnant Sana taking a selfie with a finger heart on her tummy. The image was signed "Can't wait to meet you appa! Eomma and I are waiting!" We love you!"

"She's in her last trimester. I asked for a trip home to make it to the birth and they granted it. The trip home is for the whole unit. All we have to do is make it through this and we'll all get to see our wives." Says Dahyun.

The trio talk about their spouses to pass the time. Tzuyu shares how Momo also wants to have kids as well but she doesn't think they're ready. Chaeyoung pats her on the back and takes out her pocket watch. The small lieutenant opens it to reveal a family picture. Chaeyoung and Mina's arms were enveloped around their beautiful 3 year old daughter.

"I didn't think we were ready either. Nobody really is at first but when I finally saw Hana, I knew that nothing could ever be as bad anymore because me and Mina have been blessed with the best gift on Earth."

Their story telling was interrupted when Tzuyu's trained ears heard rustling of leaves not too far away.

"Captain, possible tangos nearby approximately 100 meters from here."

Dahyun nods and signals for them to hide in the trees for cover. The trio then begin to climb up the trees for better leverage. If it were the Northerner's they'd be heavily outnumbered. The captain motions with her hand to hold their position and they aim their rifles to the direction of the noise. The footsteps get closer and the unit's fingers all get ready to pull the trigger.

"The footsteps end here General Park but I don't see the Bravo team anywhere." Jeongyeon says to Jihyo.

"I know that voice!" Chaeyoung squeals and jumps down. Suddenly a weight crashes on top of the tall Colonel causing her to topple down on the ground with a loud thud.

"Hyung! You found us!" Chaeyoung beams happily after seeing her no-jam hyung. General Park clears and the small Lieutenant immediately darts up straight.

"General Park!  First Class Lieutenant Son Chaeyoung! Salute!" Jihyo acknowledges Chaeyoung and looks up to where she came from.

"The rest of Bravo team are up there? Where is Captain Kim?"

At the hear of her name, Dahyun motions for her and Tzuyu to drop down.

"General Park! Captain Kim Dahyun! Salute!"

" First Class Lieutenant Chou Tzuyu! Salute!"

"At ease soldiers." The lower ranks then shift position and listen to the General.

"Where are the others from Bravo Team? Captain Kim, status report."

"Bravo team was separated from Alpha team during a patrol for supplies near the enemy lines. A heavy ambush was set up by the Northerners. We are the only remaining members of the Bravo Team ma'am!" Dahyun fights back the tears in her eyes and everyone falls silent in respect for their fallen comrades.

Their talk was once again interrupted when something clinks in the middle of them. Although it was dark, Chaeyoung was able to make out what made the noise and screamed at the top of her lungs.

"GRENADE! EVERYONE GET BACK!"

The squad take a jump back and was able to avoid most of the explosion. They thank the stars that it was only a make-shift grenade or else they would've been in pieces by now. The explosion is followed by a few other more at different locations. Jihyo deducts that the enemy still isn't aware of their location. They don't know we're here yet. They're guessing where we are.

"Tangos at 1:00 and 3:00!" Tzuyu shouts.

"Prepare to open fire ladies!" Jihyo barks. " Lieutenant Son get your sniper ready and get into position. Take out as many as you can before they get here." Chaeyoung nods and goes back to her position perched up in the trees.

The small lieutenant peers in her scope and stealthily eliminates enemies who were separated from the group. Chaeyoung sees that their position is almost compromised and signals to the others below.

Jihyo tells them to stand their ground and gets ready for the imminent gunfire. Seeing the bleak chance they have of surviving, the General says a few words.

"If anything happens, it's been an honor serving with you. You have done your country proud."

Dahyun grips her rifle tight and gets ready to fire. Her heart is pulsating rapidly in her chest but she wasn't ready to give up just yet. She had a family to get back to. A baby she has yet to welcome into the world and a loving wife to see and embrace again. She takes out the picture from her pocket and gives it a kiss. I love you jagiya. Wait for me to come home.

The enemy enters and they open fire. Bullets start spraying all over the area and the small squad starts to feel the threat of being outnumbered. Bodies from the enemy team starts falling to the ground as Chaeyoung expertly puts down the Northerners and her squad below release an organized barrage of shots.

" I'm out." Jeongyeon says as her rifle clicks from the lack of ammo.

"There's 3 more clips from the bag across that fallen log. There's also some grenades and a flare. I'll cover you Colonel ." Dahyun says to Jeongyeon. The latter nods and gets ready to dash for the stash of ammo. "On three Jeong, 1,2,3!"

Jeongyeon sprints for the bag and Dahyun sets up to cover the running colonel . Jeongyeon successfully retrieves the bag and reloads her rifle. She takes out the flare and lights it up.

"I hope they see this. We desperately need back up and air-support General." Jeongyeon shoots the flare gun and a streak of red smoke pins their location. They only hope that rescue comes quick.

Dahyun's shoulder begins to throb from the recoil of the M4A1. She begins to think that maybe she should've just taken the offer of Sana's father and just settled for a corporate job. She then looks around and sees the determined faces of her comrades. This is why she stayed, for the camaraderie and to protect everyone that she cares about from the dangers the enemy could pose to them.

General Park's radio suddenly whirs of heavy static and some inaudible words. "General Park to Base, we're taking heavy fire! I repeat taking heavy fire! Send air-support, location; south of 2nd marked enemy territory! One flare remaining!" Jihyo tries to adjust the frequency and volume to hear the other end.

"COPY THAT GENERAL PARK, THIS IS MAJOR YOO NAYEON. RESCUE WILL BE DEPLOYED. PLEASE FIRE YOUR FLARE. OVER." says the voice on the walkie talkie.

" Colonel you heard your wife! Fire the damn flare!" Jeongyeon aims the flare in the sky and shoots. Tzuyu covers Jeongyeon as she fires their last hope of surviving. "Thank you Yoda." The maknae nods as a welcome.

After what seems to be an eternity of gunfire, everything ceases for a while. Both sides have seemed to run out of ammo. Dahyun and the others have only 1 clip left each while Chaeyoung is also down to her last 3 bullets in her chambers. Everything seemed to have quieted down but they can't let their guard waver for a second. Jihyo motions for Tzuyu to take point and look at what's happening since she was the nearest to the enemies.

"They seem to be regrouping Gener

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter