Final

Good Luck Charm

Her hands were sweating, her heart beating loudly in her ears, and her feet nervously passing back and forth in the small corridor. Minkyung took some deep, long breaths trying to calming herself. She was usually a calm person, not hyped like most of her friends. But when it was about her games she could never control the nerves, her mind would imagine all kind of terrible scenarios where she lead the entire team to a shameful defeat.

 

Kim took her cellphone out of her pocket, taking a look at the screen to check the hours. She still had some time left before the game. More time to be anxious.

 

Today’s game would decide whether they would reach the state finals or end their campaign in a low note.

 

She leaned against the cold wall, knowing soon she would have to head to the team’s bench and once again review the strategies for today’s game. As their star pitcher there was a lot of pressure on her, even if her friends tried their best to relieve it by telling her that it was okay to miss one or two pitches, that they would cover for her. Siyeon and Eunwoo, their first hitters, had even gone as far as say that they would just hit some homeruns on their own so it wouldn’t matter if she messed up the first half of the game – It actually made her more worried than relaxed, but she appreciated their confidence.

 

On the other hand Nayoung, their honorary captain and catcher, was a bit better at encouraging her fellow team mates. She would sending some small, but meaningful messages with compliments about her performance in the practices and small tips that she thought could be useful.

 

Minkyung was glad for all the support, she couldn’t ask for a better team and she really didn’t want to disappoint them.

 

They had many seniors in the team and they would leave as soon as the school year ended. It was also the last year for their leader who had been running back and forth between college applications and the team practices.

 

Minkyung would be in the same situation next year and she wasn’t sure she would be able to handle it like Nayoung did, maybe she wouldn’t even be able to bring the team to where they were now, maybe she wouldn’t even be able to play at all... She was overthinking again, but she just couldn’t ignore the importance of that game for they all.

 

If she failed today, she would ruin their last year memories.

 

The brunette closed her eyes, trying to remind everything they had practice and how good the results had been. She was good, actually she was one of the best. No mistakes were made in their last practices, she just had to do like she had being doing so far and it would be okay. “It will be okay. Just keep your focus, just focus and…” She muttered to herself.

 

“Focus on what? You shouldn’t hide in a moment like this! The coach almost didn’t let me come here.” A very familiar voice said.

 

She could hear the sound of steps and opened her eyes to see the tall girl approaching.

 

A small, fond smile appeared on Minky’s face.

 

Kyungwon had stopped right in front of her. She was wearing one of her old baseball shirts, a red cap on her hand and a big grin on her face. “Can’t you ask him to make me an honorary team member or something?”

 

The tall Kim chuckled, feeling more at ease now that her best friend was there. Kyungwon wasn’t part of the team, but it didn’t feel like the team was complete if she wasn’t around.

 

Kang would come to every game. She would help her practice her pitches even though her batting skills weren’t so great. She would record the matches and patiently hear Minkyung rant about every single mistake she had committed as they watched the replay.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t. He says you distract me too much.” Kim replied, referring to their strict coach that was way too serious for someone who only took care of a high school team. She couldn’t complain too much, perhaps she wouldn’t have become such a good player without his and Nayoung’s frequent scolding sections.

 

She reached out to get the cap out of Kyungwon’s hand, proceeding to adjust the hat on her head instead. “But it’s okay, you are my good luck charm and this is a far more important job!” Her smile grown bigger as she saw Kyungwon’s expression become confused for a moment. Minky finished fixing the hat on the shorter girl’s head, nodding to herself at the nice view. Perhaps she deserved an honorary title, she wouldn’t look too bad on their bench.

 

“Good luck charms get invited to team’s celebratory party, right? I could use some free food.” The younger replied, her tone light and playful as usual.

 

Minky’s smile become a bit weaker at the thought of this party not even happening in case she messed up the game. But she nodded in agreement anyway.

 

The change in her mood didn’t pass unperceived by the eyes of her best friend. Kyungwon knew the other girl too well to know what was going through her head right now. She reached out to touch Minkyung’s face, fixing her bangs. “You’ll do great, I know you will. You’ve practiced so hard and let’s be honest, you are way better than those annoying dwarfs from the other team!”

 

“You haven’t even seen the other team yet, have you?” Minkyung asked, raising one eyebrow.

 

“I...I have not. But you are the best pitcher of the town! And you are like, a total giraffe, so what’s the chance of them being taller than you?” Kyungwon’s weird logics worked as expected, making the other girl laugh and forget for a moment about her worries.

 

“I guess I can’t argue against such great arguments. Thank you, Kyungwon.” Minkyung said, feeling a bit more at ease now.

 

Kyungwon gave her hand a quick, reassuring squeeze. “I’ll be watching the whole time, just look at me if you get nervous. I’ll be the one making silly faces on the right side of bleachers.” She pointed out the direction, even though Minkyung already knew it well. She would always look for Kyungwon in the crowd and never failed to encounter her with her arms full of food and one of those annoying giant baseball gloves that would make her stand out.

 

The young pitcher nodded. She checked her phone again, it was time to go and meet the rest of the team. Nayoung had already sent out a message telling her to meet them in the locker room in five minutes.

 

“Nayoung unnie is calling you already?” The younger girl asked and Minky nodded once more. “Okay, let’s go.” Kang reached out for her hand and started walking, dragging her behind.

 

When they reached the ending of the corridor she stuck to Kyungwon’s warm back, resting her face against the girl’s shoulder and making her stop walking. Kyungwon didn’t move, too used to Minky’s clingy habits to complain. Minkyung was the older between the two of them, but she always felt safer around Kyungwon instead of the other way around.

 

“Are you okay?” Kyungwon asked, looking over her shoulder to meet Minky’s eyes.

 

Minkyung knew that if she told her that she was scared and feeling like she would throw up in the moment she stepped on the field, Kyungwon would just drag her out of there. However, she didn’t want to run away.

 

“I’m fine.” She answered after a moment of hesitation, breaking the embrace. She would rather spend a little more time with Kyungwon, but she didn’t have a choice. “Thank you for coming. I will do my best.”

 

“I know you will be great.” Kyungwon said, but there wasn’t the usual confidence in her voice. An unusual look on her eyes, hesitation and something else Minky wasn’t sure what it was.

 

Minkyung wondered if she looked so nervous in the moment to even make her biggest supporter doubt her. However she didn’t have time to ask.

 

She felt Kyungwon’s hands on her waist, noticing how close they had gotten all of sudden. Close enough to make her heart skip a beat. They exchanged a gaze. A subtle, silent message in their eyes.

 

Minkyung gave Kyungwon a small smile, receiving her typical grin in response before Kyungwon moved closed, leaning in to kiss her softly. It was gentle and sweet. The kiss didn’t last long, but it was enough to make Minkyung feel a warm feeling of care and love.

 

When they broke the kiss she saw that Kyungwon still had her annoying smile plastered on her face, her gaze remaining loving even though her face was a bit red. Minky could feel her own cheeks getting hot. It wasn’t the first time they kissed, but it was still all too new and she was still getting used to it.

 

“It’s a good luck kiss, just in case you need any.” Kyungwon said, her grin growing wider. Minky could bet it had been her plan since the start, but she would never complain about it.

 

Minkyung’s arms hugged Kyungwon by the neck, bringing her closer again. It was her turn to kiss her, a bit longer this time. “For double the luck.”

 

Kyungwon was indeed her good luck charm, she might not be able to guarantee the victory, but her presence and support made Minkyung a lot more confident.

 


 

Kyungwon cheered and screamed as much as she could, jumping in the bleachers in excitement every time Minky made a perfect pitch. Occasionally she would feel Minkyung’s gaze in her direction and she would give her a big thumbs up as an encouragement.

 

To be honest Kyungwon still didn’t quite understand how the whole game worked, but she knew for sure that Minky sending hitter after hitter back to the bench was a great thing. She also knew that the ball that their freshman friend, Kyla, sent flying away over the fence was another great thing. The score showing their team’s big lead was also a great tip that things were working out just fine.

 

When the game finally come to an ending, was hurting because of all the screaming, but she was happy. Their team had won and she could see the players, including a tired and relieved Minkyung, commemorating on the field.

 

She went down the bleachers to meet them and give her congratulations. She couldn’t wait to see the happy smile on her girlfriend’s face.

 

All the free food on the congratulatory party would be a bonus she would gladly accept.

 


 

A/N: Everyone complains there is not enough fluff in the 2kyung tag, so I’m making this lackluster collaboration Lol

I’m sorry for any mistakes. Thanks for reading!