roses

thorns

 

 

Months passed by like seasons changing. Each period were filled with laughter and happiness from two girls that were in love. Their relationship bloomed into something beautiful, like a single rose growing in a fruitful environment. They never had a feud with one another. Because of this, their bond was practically made out of good times, with little to no bad moments added.

After having a little date under the smiling sun, the two girls decided to rest under a tall, shady tree. Chaewon sat down and rested her back on the sturdy plant, whilst Hyejoo took the spot next to her and playfully stretched her hands before laying her head down on the blond girl's lap. A giggle escaped from the wolf's lips, whilst the latter rolled her eyes and began to stoke the taller girl's hair.

They were peaceful—enjoying the scenery given by nature to them. But the silence was disrupted when Hyejoo opened up to speak. "Boo, with our height differences... I think you should be the one lying on my lap." She covered , in attempt to stop herself from erupting into laughter, which utterly failed when she saw the butterfly's pouting face.

"Hmph. Whatever." Chaewon rolled her eyes and looked to another direction, arms crossed. She could still hear the joyful giggles coming from her lover. She glanced at the taller girl from her peripheral vision, a genuine smile slowly creeping on her face.

It was beautiful, perfect.

But even the most beautiful roses wither.

How did everything deteriorate? Hyejoo did not know.

A few weeks ago, they were all bubbly and blissful. But in the coming days, she noticed how Chaewon's attitude altered. Back then, it wouldn't take a second for her to reply on the wolf's texts. Now, she began to ignore them and would often reply several hours later, much to Hyejoo's dismay.

It's not that she was clingy, or overprotective. But the sudden change of Chaewon made her worry. She began to think of things that she herself was skeptical about. "Was she starting to get boring? Was she too fickle-minded? Was she a horrible partner?" Those questions swiveled on her mind, as she stared on her phone—waiting for the screen to light up and reveal a name she wished to see.

"Am I not good enough to be your lover?" Hyejoo mumbled inaudibly. She closed her eyes and rolled over the bed whilst hugging her phone, in hopes that it would vibrate. But alas, nothing came up. She fell into a deep slumber on the comfort of her tear-soaked pillow.

But things went more downhill after that night.

Hyejoo was well aware of this too. Her lover became more and more distant, something even she couldn't stop. She remembered how they would often talk endlessly whenever they were on dates. Only the sound of cicadas remained of their conversations, especially since Chaewon was carefree about everything that was happening.

"B-Boo... Is there something wrong?" Asked by the lonesome wolf, who had her head hung low.

Chaewon did not bat an eyelash even after hearing the sudden intrusion of her lover's voice. She maintained her focus on her phone and nonchalantly replied to Hyejoo's question. "There's nothing wrong, I'm fine."

"B-But you've been acting so differe-" Hyejoo's words were cut off by the blonde girl who suddenly exploded.

A fuse was finally blown.

"I said I'm fine! What part of being alright can't you understand?!" Chaewon snapped, something that she never, not even once had done. Her sudden outburst shocked the younger girl who was in the verge of tears. "You've been asking the same question over and over, and I'm getting sick of saying I'm fine! Well guess what? I'm not fine!" She stopped for a brief moment. "You wanna know why? Because you're so goddamn annoying!"

The butterfly's words were enough to destroy a whole dam. Streams of water began to run down on Hyejoo's cheeks. Everything that Chaewon said impaled through her throbbing heart. It didn't help to stop her tears that were practically endless. "W-Why..." She mumbled silently, something that she had grown to do.

"Why? If you weren't so nosy then I wouldn't be considering you as an irritating pest!" The infuriated girl shot once more, unfazed by the fact that her lover was already crying a waterfall. But it hit her, when their eyes met—she saw them glisten with love, and pain. "Oh my God... What did I just say? Boo, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say those words." She rushed forward to give the crying girl a warm embrace.

Only the sound of sniffling could be heard from Hyejoo. Her state was so fragile.

"I'm sorry Boo." Chaewon repeated, whilst gently patting the younger girl's back.

"It's okay..."

No, it was not okay.

Fights were becoming more common for the two lovers, and most of them were because of Chaewon's anger. She would get angry at Hyejoo for even the smallest of things. She even once shouted at the latter for picking her favorite ice cream flavor—or what used to be her favored taste.

Hyejoo was already afraid of her lover, not because of Chaewon becoming abusive, but because she was scared of losing the love of her life. She already felt the pain of getting left behind by someone she adored, and she did not like the feeling. So she held on to her love, even if it meant for her to receive painful remarks and denigrating screams.

She mostly blamed herself though. If she weren't so inquisitive, then Chaewon wouldn't have been so furious towards her. Not only that, but she believed that their relationship was getting boring for the older girl. She was a regular, dull girl to begin with. She couldn't do things that could otherwise separate her from the stereotypical nerds. She was just a wolf with no fangs.

There were even times when Hyejoo decided to surprise Chaewon by visiting the latter's house, which obviously led to series of screams from the older girl for not informing her about the younger lass' visits. The taller girl was not to be blamed though. She just missed her lover so much especially since the shorter girl barely called, or texted during the days. If she did, it would be at times when she was at home. But even at those moments, she barely gave the time to notify her significant half.

Chaewon sat at one of the couches in her living room. Her house was practically a mansion, compared to Hyejoo's cramped apartment. She heaved a deep sigh before giving the girl in front of her a serious, yet cold stare. "Hyejoo. This isn't working." She enunciated nonchalantly, a trait that she developed through the months.

A desperate chuckle escaped from Hyejoo's lips. Confusion was written on her entire visage. "W-What do you mean this isn't working? C-Chaewon, I can change for you! I-I'll do everything I can to save our relationship." Pleaded by the wolf, tears welling up on her eyelids.

"No, you don't have to change." The elder replied. "There's nothing wrong with you. You're perfect the way you are. It's me, I've been horrible for the past few months, and I'm sorry." The blonde-haired girl released another saddening sigh, whilst trying to convey the words she had been contemplating to say. "But Hyejoo, I think we should take a break. You know? Cool off."

"Cool... Off?" Hyejoo's face was even more bewildered, not fully understanding where her lover was leading to.

"Yes, let's take a break. It's for the best." Chaewon softly said, a soft smile finally emerging on her lips. "I don't want our relationship to end as well, because it's too precious for me. But I hope you understand that I want to have some space for now, so I could rethink the things I've done in the past and become a better partner for you."

A soft nod was the only thing visible from Hyejoo. Her lover's reason was credible enough for her to agree. Besides, she didn't want to lose their bond as well—something she considered more precious than diamond.

So she believed,

...in utter regret.

The sight in front of Hyejoo was the final piece she needed to solve the puzzle. Why was she so dumb? Why did she believe her pathetic excuses? Why can't she just let her go? She was blinded by love—the unhealthy and abusive kind. The signs were so obvious, and she already had a hunch because of these, yet she still decided to hold on.

"I'm an idiot." The girl silently mumbled, her eyes glistening with water.

She just couldn't believe that Chaewon, despite agreeing to cool off from each other, had the audacity to do such a thing. She was having the time of her life, a genuine grin visible on her lips. Those were the smile Hyejoo could no longer see, something that she lost access to. It pained her more to think that her lover was extremely blissful, whilst her world was already falling apart. To add insult to injury, she was not the reason of her lover's happiness.

She was going paranoid because of the different thoughts and ideas she deemed far-fetched. But they were no longer ridiculous, and what she was currently witnessing was the proof. Park Chaewon, the rich and famous girl known for her small height and unique voice, the girl who had a long time crush on Son Hyejoo, the girl who was hopelessly in love with the latter, was cheating in the very eyes of her lover.

Hyejoo's sadness eventually transformed into hatred and anger. She didn't care if her face was already wet with tears. All she could feel was the boiling rage coursing through her veins. It was very usual for her to get this infuriated, but Chaewon made her do so. All those flowery words and doubtful excuses she made was only a cover-up for what she had been doing behind the wolf's back. No wonder she became so distant.

The wolf had finally grown her fangs. She hastily approached the table where her lover, and the other girl she was cheating with, who she recalled as Kim Jiwoo, stayed at. A painful smile was plastered on her lips, as the two girls in front of her had finally acknowledged her presence. "Hello Jiwoo, hi Chaewon." The curve on her lips grew even larger.

"H-Hi Hyechu." Jiwoo responded in fear, whilst still speaking in her usual aegyo-ish voice.

"H-Hyejoo?" Chaewon spurt out in surprise. "L-Look, I can explain! This isn't what it seems to be-" The sound of a hard slap echoed through the entire restaurant. The receiving end, which was the blonde girl, held on her cheek—still unable to process what had happened.

"Don't worry, you don't have to spill your alibi..." Hyejoo murmured, her head hung low. "Because our relationship is over Park Chaewon!" She shouted, her voice filled with undying hatred. She shot her gaze up to give another painful slap on the older girl. Feeling contented with what she had done, she finally ran away from the restaurant, eyes filled with agonizing tears.

The butterfly was completely dumbfounded, but she managed to snap out of her trance. "N-No, Hyejoo, I..." She stopped mumbling incoherent sentences, until she finally decided to chase after the younger girl. But her movement was stopped when a hand grabbed her by the wrist.

"Chae, don't leave me here! She already broke up with you! We could finally be together without any restrains!" Jiwoo pointed out, desperation hinting on her voice. But her attempts utterly failed when she got shoved away by the blonde girl.

"No, let's end this Jiwoo." Chaewon nonchalantly remarked. She continued to run, in pursue of the girl she regret cheating on. Even with her small legs, she still managed to somehow get a vision of the younger girl. She shouted with all her might, hoping that the latter would look to her direction. "Hyejoo! Please, Listen to me!" But to no avail, she was ignored.

Hyejoo's eyes were completely covered with never ending tears. Even her eyesight was becoming obscure, thanks to the broken waterworks. She could barely hear the words coming from the girl who was chasing her, in fact, she could barely hear anything from her surrounding. The only voluntary thing she could do was to run, and to wipe the droplets from her orbs.

She sprinted with all her might, hoping that she could get far away as possible—and she was successful. She managed to create a great distance from reality, because she was already staring at her dead corpse, blood splattered everywhere as the truck that hit her crashed into a tree. She could only examine, and watch as Chaewon hugged her body, whilst wailing in agony.

So this was the final chapter of her story.

Hyejoo smiled bitterly. "I'm sorry for being so stubborn, Chaewon." She chuckled sadly, her eyes slowly closing as she finally accepted her fate. Soon, her entire spirit began to disperse.

"I love you, Park Chaewon."

Shivers was sent through the blonde-haired girl's spine, as if she heard her ex-lover's last words. "I-I love you too Hyejoo, so much, and I'm so sorry for being a horrible partner!" She howled in pain, not bothered by the attention she was drawing.

"Idiot." Hyejoo chuckled, until finally, her entire entity ceased to be.
 

Her eyes shot open when the glaring sunlight beamed through her eyelids. She gently raised up from what seemed to be her bed. She weakly rubbed her eyes that were surprisingly wet with tears, still adjusting from the sudden intrusion of light. "Why was I crying?" It took her a whilst before she finally noticed where she was.

"I'm at my room?" Confusion was now evident on her visage. She darted her eyes to her left, only to see a sleeping figure who seemed to have taken care of her. A small smile began to grow on her lips, as she remarked under her breath.

"So everything was a dream..."